PDA

View Full Version : My hair feels "short" vent

kaiakai
January 27th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I had actually gotten to a point recently where my hair was feeling long. Even browsing around LHC I was happy with my length. I knew my hair wasn't "long long" by LHC standards, but it was long enough for me, and I was happy with it.

Then I came to Estonia, and started noticing everyone's hair. (Somewhere there was a thread about this..) It seems like every other female I see has long hair here (meaning half of the women and girls I see)! Like, definitely beyond BSL. I wonder if it is just more common for women to have long hair in Europe?

Or maybe this is just what I get for starting to get vain about my hair. :D Oh, right, I'm not really that special after all, hehe.

I can't wait to get to hip... and now that I've been S&Ding so much, I think I've messed up my hemline and I'm itching to get a trim.

I rue the day I found LHC!

(Uh, no, I take that back. Sort of. Ah, you know I love it here....)

growfro
January 27th, 2012, 11:59 AM
So I'm too new to look through any albums yet, :p but judging from your photo below your post you have lovely hair! Mine is touching BSL at my current 23 inches and yous being 30 inches is a whole year away for me! I love your length as my goal is a little past waist. IMO your hair is "long".

Long_hair_bear
January 27th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Same here. I'm at bsl and it feels long to me until I see hair on here that's long long or updos that I can't do cause my hair is not long enough. :( my hair is long in comparison to most of the girls in my college, but no where near where I want it to be.

Amber_Maiden
January 27th, 2012, 12:00 PM
I think there are some of us, who even past waist, feel their hair is short. I know I do, and I'm almost at hip... *sighs* life huh?

I think it more common for women to have longer hair in Europe... at least there seem to be more women in Europe who have long hair, compared with North America...

IubireaDraga
January 27th, 2012, 12:11 PM
OMG ! Here aswell!!

Nobody had long hair in september when i first started to hang around here on LHC... But NOW !! everybody has hair at waist lenght. AND it's always a full hemline and straight.

My hair feels so short at BSL :'(

Ishje
January 27th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I only started to feel like my hair was long when I reached tailbone.
sometimes I used to see woman in the street with waist length hair, and then I thought:
"oh I want it long like that"
without realizing my hair was longer allready.

I think your hair looks lovely ^^

kaiakai
January 27th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I used to see woman in the street with waist length hair, and then I thought:

That's funny :)

And, thank you.

Phalaenopsis
January 27th, 2012, 12:24 PM
sometimes I used to see woman in the street with waist length hair, and then I thought:

Same thing here ^^

It felt long when I hit waist, and now it feels short when it's shorter than hip, it feels short to me at the moment. It's frustrating, but it goes/grows away :)

Avital88
January 27th, 2012, 12:32 PM
you shouldnt be worried at all,you have gorgeous hair, i would definitely take a second look if i saw you walking around somewhere with your hair down and im sure there are many girls who already do that :)
But i know the feeling of feeling short haired, i can only say that : for me it gets worse the longer it gets,so i guess i sort of have the same problem. But i also realize its our minds playing tricks with us..

Enjoy your wonderful head of hair,it will grow to greater lengths anyway :D

kaiakai
January 27th, 2012, 12:34 PM
you shouldnt be worried at all,you have gorgeous hair, i would definitely take a second look if i saw you walking around somewhere with your hair down and im sure there are many girls who already do that :)
But i know the feeling of feeling short haired, i can only say that : for me it gets worse the longer it gets,so i guess i sort of have the same problem. But i also realize its our minds playing tricks with us..

Enjoy your wonderful head of hair,it will grow to greater lengths anyway :D

heehee, thank you, though I hardly ever walk around with my hair down. it's like a little secret I have when I look at other people's hair....

I really wasn't trying to fish for compliments with this thread, either.. just babbling. :)

oktobergoud
January 27th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I know how you feel, and not because my hair actually IS short ;) I've had a pixie for so many years and have been growing it out for a year now. It took forever (lots of damage and stuff) but it's now the longest it has been in 4 years or so? A long time! And I know that this length would be sooo long to me a year ago, but now it still feels supershort. I keep seeing pictures and people with hair that is just a bit longer and keep thinking 'I WISH MY HAIR WAS THAT LONG!'.

Sigh ;)
I guess the grass is always greener etc. etc.

Anyway, just so you know, in my eyes your hair is INCREDIBLY LONG! (yes, caps-lock was needed ;))

Zefyra
January 27th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I feel ridiculously short haired, now. I had reached APL before I had to cut off to almost chin. :( Im back at shoulder now and I still really short. APL was the longest Id ever had it and it felt so long... sigh.
Though its funny, I have a coworker with roughly bsl (guessing, Ive only seen it in a bun or ponytail...) and she always says its really long (so does everyone else at my work.) I dont think her hair is long at all. Course they all think Im crazy weird for wanting TBL hair. Its just amusing to me.

Mayflower
January 27th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I actually NEVER see girls or women with long hair.. ever. I live in Europe, and I've travelled around but it's always BSL or shorter. Or maybe I didn't notice back in the days when I wasn't hairobsessed yet:p.

kaiakai
January 27th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I actually NEVER see girls or women with long hair.. ever. I live in Europe, and I've travelled around but it's always BSL or shorter. Or maybe I didn't notice back in the days when I wasn't hairobsessed yet:p.

Maybe it's just Estonia, then! I might have exaggerated a little, but when I've been out and about it really seems like my hair is just average length for around here.

torrilin
January 27th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Madison is a pretty hippy town. It's totally normal around here for women to braid their hair or put it up and forget about trims. So my hair never looks especially long. I'm fine with that because I hate being noticed, and I'm the sort of person who can blend into the background while wearing head to toe bright red.

But yeah, it's very normal to feel like your hair is short, whether it is by an objective standard or not.

Ligeia_13
January 27th, 2012, 07:04 PM
But your hair is long to me :D and very beautiful.

I see long hair everywhere too. Mostly on my friends, which is extremely frustrating cause they're not even trying to grow it long.

MonaLisa
January 27th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I've been feeling the same thing lately...
Here's some tips :)

Try not to think about your goal if it's not close.
I realised I've been feeling 'short' since I set my mind on classic....

Also, take some hair pictures or measure, you might get surprised! :)

beachgirlla
January 27th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I had actually gotten to a point recently where my hair was feeling long. Even browsing around LHC I was happy with my length. I knew my hair wasn't "long long" by LHC standards, but it was long enough for me, and I was happy with it.

Then I came to Estonia, and started noticing everyone's hair. (Somewhere there was a thread about this..) It seems like every other female I see has long hair here (meaning half of the women and girls I see)! Like, definitely beyond BSL. I wonder if it is just more common for women to have long hair in Europe?

Or maybe this is just what I get for starting to get vain about my hair. :D Oh, right, I'm not really that special after all, hehe.

I can't wait to get to hip... and now that I've been S&Ding so much, I think I've messed up my hemline and I'm itching to get a trim.

I would kill to get your hair, now come on give me a break, LOL, just enjoy what you have, look at me with the crappy damaged hair I have, I need to wait 2-3 years before I even start having healthy hair to make it long, LOL

owlathena
January 27th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Mostly on my friends, which is extremely frustrating cause they're not even trying to grow it long.

^^This! Beautiful long perfect hair without even trying (or appreciating it much) makes me so frustrated!

Cupofmilk
January 28th, 2012, 04:18 AM
my hair is 40 inches now and past bcl but not bottom of the tailbone. It still feels nearly but not quite long.

kaiakai
January 28th, 2012, 04:31 AM
I would kill to get your hair, now come on give me a break, LOL, just enjoy what you have,

hehe... I drank the LHC water....

MaryMarx
January 28th, 2012, 05:12 AM

Where do you live? I live in Sweden and I think there's a lot of long haired people here... Especially in Stockholm. I've always been hair obsessed so I really think it has become more common and in-fashion! :p

Jessykins
January 28th, 2012, 05:37 AM
well my hairs a bit past bsl and i still feels like it was a short as a few years ago. but come to england! you'll feel long here. all the grannies have super short perms, and all the ladies have bob cuts! its more common for people around my age to have the longer hair. i rarely see anyone with long hair, apart from ONCE ive seen someone with what must of been maybe hip length (was a few month ago) and the very rare occasion of mid back to waist, but that's only when i go to the metro centre and its choca full of people

Mayflower
January 28th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Where do you live? I live in Sweden and I think there's a lot of long haired people here... Especially in Stockholm. I've always been hair obsessed so I really think it has become more common and in-fashion! :p

Haha not in Sweden! But like, even in France or in London or Amsterdam I almost never see long hair. Maybe they all wear updo's though:p. But where I live, kneelenght hair would be "WTF?!", it's something that doesn't even excist in most people's minds haha. I never knew it was possible before I came here too!

jacqueline101
January 28th, 2012, 07:10 AM
My hair feels short to me at bra strap length. I think middle of back or waist will feel long.

cheetahfast
January 28th, 2012, 07:35 AM
My hair feels short to me too!

It's funny since I'm at the length I was at before I cut off all, of my damage.
Then everyone said it was so long and it felt long.

Now, it feels so short. I think even when I am past BSL it will feel short.
That's less than 3 inches from waist for me.

It's a LHC syndrome for sure!

horsesrluv
January 28th, 2012, 07:44 AM
My sister does not consider hair long until it is at least waist length. Of course she started growing her hair when she was seven and had it down to her knees until she cut it about 2 years ago.

kaiakai
January 28th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Maybe they all wear updo's though

A lot of older women wear their hair up here, but I can usually tell that it's not really long (and it's usually not very healthy looking!) Like I don't wonder... "does she have really long hair under that clip/bun/whatever??"

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think that it's the young girls here who have the longer hair, like WL .. and I always think, "Great start, if you don't go and chop it all off once you get to be a teenager"

AndreaPetrea
January 28th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Maybe it's just Estonia, then! I might have exaggerated a little, but when I've been out and about it really seems like my hair is just average length for around here.

I haven't been in Estonia, but I have studied in Lithuania and there long hair is very common. I also see long hair in Denmark, but much of it is either fried or teased and in some sort of messy high bun.

Your hair is beautiful and obviously well taken care of. Be proud of it! Every time I see your signature pic I wish for my hair to become as beautiful as yours.

kaiakai
January 28th, 2012, 09:09 AM
I haven't been in Estonia, but I have studied in Lithuania and there long hair is very common. I also see long hair in Denmark, but much of it is either fried or teased and in some sort of messy high bun.

Your hair is beautiful and obviously well taken care of. Be proud of it! Every time I see your signature pic I wish for my hair to become as beautiful as yours.

Awww, thank you :)

Henrietta
January 28th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I think it is our way of perceiving others now. It is impossible that in 2 years everyone grew their hair to BSL and even longer. Yet I have the impression that 99% of girls have hair longer than APL now :) We just notice long hair more, I guess.

Tia2010
January 28th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I know what you mean. My hair still feels short to me! I know it's longer than it was... I know it's growing, but I still look at it and all I can think is "it still looks/feels short!" :(

The funny thing is I went to my stylist a few weeks back ( for color... no trim yet :)) and when we were talking about when I wanted to trim and I said to her, "I want my hair a long as yours"...she looked at me and said," T, your hair is already longer than mine right now!?" :confused: I just don't see it. Hers looked long to me but when I'm looking at mine (which in reality is longer than hers)..I just don't see it as "long"...:shrug: I guess my perception meter is off :p

Maybe when I get to hip I will feel "long haired" I don't think waist will do it for me.

joflakes
January 28th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I know how you feel, and not because my hair actually IS short ;) I've had a pixie for so many years and have been growing it out for a year now. It took forever (lots of damage and stuff) but it's now the longest it has been in 4 years or so? A long time! And I know that this length would be sooo long to me a year ago, but now it still feels supershort. I keep seeing pictures and people with hair that is just a bit longer and keep thinking 'I WISH MY HAIR WAS THAT LONG!'.

Sigh ;)
I guess the grass is always greener etc. etc.

Anyway, just so you know, in my eyes your hair is INCREDIBLY LONG! (yes, caps-lock was needed ;))

All of this! Except I've been growing for...8 months now. Mine's a bit shorter than Oktobergoud's. Just long enough to put in a half-up do.

heidi w.
January 28th, 2012, 11:32 AM

Different cultures regard long hair differently. We're still a bit in the wake of Vidal Sassoon in the US.

Long hair in the US is up to a certain length that it's considered long. Most do not understand uber long tresses, and think it kind of weird, too.

For example, in the US, I'm asked if I'm planning to donate my hair, and then commonly told it's beautiful. So, it's beautiful but then you want me to cut it? But that's their frame, that's what they know. A style is a cut to the hair, not an updo or something.

Hair is very cultural. In some countries, if you have long hair, you will be followed and your photo snapped often. I've even been told I must be very health, since apparently there's an association in some people's minds that long hair is an indication of fertility and health.

It's an interesting topic.

Of course, you're more attuned to it, so yeah, you will notice the longer hair more often. And it's such a different compared to what you're used to culturally.

heidi w.

heidi w.
January 28th, 2012, 11:34 AM
My hair is almost the entire length of my body; yet, when at a long hair gathering, I have pretty much the shortest hair in the room since I'm so short!

heidi w.

palaeoqueen
January 29th, 2012, 04:56 AM
I'm not sure when I will start to feel that I have long hair, it's at collar length just now which isn't long by anyone's standards! I'll have to rethink when I reach SL, I'm hoping it'll start to feel long then but I don't think it will, maybe at APL then?

SleeplessBeauty
January 29th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Yes, kaiakai! I feel short-haired in Estonia too...
But then again, I didnīt even notice other peopleīs hair, until I came to LHC and started to take better care of my own hair. So ignorance is a bliss, isnīt it? :p

My hair is (only) BSL, which is a very common hairlength in Estonia. And I keep seeing girls/women with WL or longer. But I rarely see long, healthy, unprocessed hair in natural colour (of course, when I do, I feel sooo envious). Seems like bleaching/dying, straightening and hair extensions are very popular around here. And itīs very common to chop your hair to a short bob or pixie, once you hit 40.

So, I think hair really is a cultural thing and I guess long hair is associated with youth and health in our country.

SleeplessBeauty
January 29th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Oh, btw, your hair looks beautiful your siggy! And definitely not short!

Beckstar
January 29th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I only started to feel like my hair was long when I reached tailbone.

I agree that the OP's hair is lovely.
And I second your insight on wanting someone else's lenght until you realize your hair is longer. :) I've done that many, many times. :cheese:

papera
January 29th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Haha, I know this feeling of having short hair despite that it is LONG! My hair is past hip now, but when I see a woman/ girl with long hair I'm still like "Oh, I want that!" even though my hair's already longer! The mind is playing cruel tricks on us :p
Re the culture of long hair in Europe: I haven't been in Estonia but I've lived the past 7 years in Ireland and it seems as if long hair is quite common, on women, not on men. Not that half of women have super-long hair, but there is a good amount of bsl or wl hair here ... just sometimes I'm not sure how often girls actually wear extensions or if this is real hair ... and it is really rare to see a man with long hair, as most Irish men have very short hair. Foreigners, especially from the south of Europe or Latin America, tend to have "longer" hair, but rarely past chin. My BF is quite exotic here with shoulder-length :p
I'm originally from Germany and you don't see many very long haired people (at least not in my region), but there are more men with long hair than in Ireland.

Gingerbear
January 29th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Kaiakai, your hair is gorgeous and looooooooong! haha

I live in the United States, but I swear I have noticed more and more people with long hair lately. I can't tell if I'm just more in tune to it, if extensions are even more popular than I thought they were, or if more people than I thought have been growing their hair the last several years! It's definitely a trend.

I must say after joining the long hair community and reading threads about some of the negative comments some of our fellow members have received, I try to make it a point to give them a compliment. :)

CSallaround
January 29th, 2012, 08:22 AM

I also live in Denmark and you are right that a lot of girls wear their hair in buns. Makes it a bit hard to tell how long it is. If they don't wear it up, it's usually around SL or maybe APL - the longest I've seen recently was between BSL and WL.

I haven't seen many long haired girls in England, Paris or Italy either.

jojo
January 29th, 2012, 08:23 AM
is it really possible to ever feel we are long enough?? I feel the same my hair is long but still feels shortish. I expected to feel different at this length! Maybe its my inner voice telling me to go to the extremes! I have been wondering more and more about growing to terminal length, hopefully this will be more than classic which was my original final goal.

LHC is a great forum but they need to write a warning that a side effect of joining is you may get hair-anorexia!

Sushi144
January 29th, 2012, 07:45 PM
LHC is a great forum but they need to write a warning that a side effect of joining is you may get hair-anorexia!

Another poster here (can't remember the name) said her friends called her "hairorexic". ^^ I'm like that, and I've been loooong before joining LHC. Actually, it even made me realize my TBL is long, even though I thought it was too short. Yay ! \o/

PixxieStix
January 29th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I think this is why I am going to rely heavily on pictures of my hair instead of what I see in the mirror. I'm just past shoulder now and don't think I'll *feel* like my hair is long until I reach BSL, even though it hasn't been longer than it is now anytime in the last 7-8 years or so. Just like with hair growth, I don't feel like my hair has grown at all, but looking back at pictures from last year, I can definitely say it has!

Kaiakai, if it makes you feel any better, I have some serious hair envy directed towards your locks! :crush:

kaiakai
February 1st, 2012, 03:40 AM
Thanks, everyone!

LocustSpawning
February 1st, 2012, 04:15 AM
Kaiakai your hair is super gorgeous and I am envious :)

My hair feels kind of 'long' here (as in my hometown, not on LHC..!) because not many girls have hair past BSL. It's usually around APL, with bangs, dyed, heat styled, etc. People admire long hair but don't do anything to actually help grow it because styling is so common. I'd say the most common hairstyle I see, is APL - BSL, straightened, side bangs, either dyed red (very popular here at the moment) or brown & highlighted. Or the dreaded bleached to death blonde with extremely obvious extensions. (Bleach blonde hair is fine, but not many around here seem to know how to look after it.)

onlyforhim
June 6th, 2012, 04:01 AM
My hair feels short too. where I am from people generally have bsl ....rarely ever would I see a girl with waist length. But recently I noticed that many young girls..let's say 17 or 18 have long hair..like waist length.

I also think I underestimate my hair because when I see a girl with long hair .. am saying waist to hip I say I want to have hair that long...and my friedns say my hair is liek the girl's hair not shorter...hmm..

I also think I am too short...so even if I have waist length hair it would look too short..because if it was on a nother head this hair would have hardy reached
BSL.... just my thought...

I wish to reach hip or tailbone...maybe then it would feel long..

onlyforhim
June 6th, 2012, 04:03 AM
and yes Kaiakai your hair is really long and lovely

SongofLove
June 6th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Yeah, I did not feel like my hair was long until recently because where I live it is common to see women with waist length hair and I also see quite a few tailbone and classic length beauties around. Also it's not uncommon to see long hair dudes here :D

I have to stop myself from gawking and stalking to look at these longhairs. Luckily no one can stop me from doing the same online :eyebrows:

SnowWhite
June 6th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Kaiakai Your hair is sooo wow!!

I do envy women with long hair since I'm only at almost APL. There are not a lot of women with super long hair in the town where I live. I haven't seen hair past waist length I think, and the only girl with waist length hair I know happens to be a friend of mine.

But I don't try to focus on that, instead, to cheer myself up I think: 'Wow, my hair is so super healthy and shiny compared to that woman with long hair...'
Not very kind to think that but hey, some got the length others got the health and shine...

(But I want both of course :D)

Mononoke
June 6th, 2012, 04:59 AM
My hair is almost at waist length, and it looks long-ish when I look at my back, but when I look from the side it looks like BSL and seems really short :(

SongofLove
June 6th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Kaiakai Your hair is sooo wow!!

I do envy women with long hair since I'm only at almost APL. There are not a lot of women with super long hair in the town where I live. I haven't seen hair past waist length I think, and the only girl with waist length hair I know happens to be a friend of mine.

But I don't try to focus on that, instead, to cheer myself up I think: 'Wow, my hair is so super healthy and shiny compared to that woman with long hair...'
Not very kind to think that but hey, some got the length others got the health and shine...

(But I want both of course :D)
Haha that's pretty funny, but it's true, right? :) No matter what, I think it's really hard to keep hair as healthy and pretty as it is when it's newer. I often see women with gorgeous, healthy shoulder-length to BSL hair and feel pretty shabby about my shabby ends :)

I only discovered these long hair care websites/forums until I was almost waist length. The good thing about that is how I was blissfully spared a lot of long hair envy and waiting for growth. The bad thing was that I did a lot of damaging things to my hair out of ignorance like expose it to the sun carelessly, use seamed combs/metal elastics (thus my bad ends). So yes, you should definitely feel good about having super shiny and healthy hair :D

Iolanthe13
June 6th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Ugh, I feel this all the time. My hairdresser 'trimmed' my hair from past BSL to about APL. Considering I'm aiming for the hip-length hair I had growing up, I wasn't too happy. It's a little past BSL again now, but the way the short layers stick out of buns really really irks me...at least it's looking healthier now though.