PDA

View Full Version : Pha Bun

Phalaenopsis
January 27th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I wanted to share a bun, for those who might like it :) Someone called it the Pha bun on our little Belgian forum, hence the name. I find it a fun bun to use with hair forks. I use a 2 prong here, but you can also use a 3 or a 4 prong if you like.

So this is how it's supposed to look like:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/DSCI0624-1.jpghttp://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/DSCI0626-1.jpghttp://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/DSCI0628-1.jpg

And here's the tutorial that a friend helped me make, I did it a bit too tight there, but you can see how it's done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsF9Kp5W9Ig

krissykins
January 27th, 2012, 10:22 AM
So pretty, Phal! I'm off to try it now :D

Nightshade
January 27th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I love the bun! I have a few forks that this would be perfect for.

And you're really, really pretty :flower:

Long_hair_bear
January 27th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I dont think I have enough hair at BSL, but its very pretty none the less. :D

jel
January 27th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I just tried it - easy and elegant. Two-pronged forks are my favourite hair toys as it is, so another way to wear them is very welcome!

Thanks for sharing!

SimplyViki
January 27th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Pretty! And easy, too. I just did it at my desk at work (granted, I have no idea how it looks, or if I did it right, but it's holding!).

:thumbsup:

CarpeDM
January 27th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Very nice, something to look forward to trying when I get more length!

pepperminttea
January 27th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Bookmarked this - thank you!

Narya
January 27th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Very pretty!! It looks easy, too, I'll have to try it as soon as I can :D

Woods Nymph
January 27th, 2012, 10:52 AM
So pretty! My favorite hair stick doesn't work all that well for this, so there's only one thing to do: I must buy a hair fork!
:D

jacqueline101
January 27th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Its very pretty and I can't wait until my hair grows out.

Yosha
January 27th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Cool, great idea to use the fork as a tool to create the bun :D

moxamoll
January 27th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Awesome enabling to buy a fork! Can't wait to try it...

Kira94
January 27th, 2012, 11:16 AM
So pretty!
I'll definitely have to try when I have a hair fork and my hair is longer. :)

Anje
January 27th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Really cute, Phal! I think I'll have to try that one soon.

Also wanted to mention that I got a serious wave of hair envy there. Feel like trading heads?

Phalaenopsis
January 27th, 2012, 11:33 AM
It's really nice to read so many positive responses, that feels good :)
Anje, lol ^^ I'm kind of attached to my head so no thanks :p

lapushka
January 27th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Cute bun! :D Damn, such a pity my hair's too short for this one.

Nightshade
January 27th, 2012, 11:50 AM
So pretty! My favorite hair stick doesn't work all that well for this, so there's only one thing to do: I must buy a hair fork!

LOL You'll fit in just fine around here :flowers:

Pixna
January 27th, 2012, 11:57 AM
This is fabulous, and it looks so pretty with your hair and fork. I wish I could do it, but I need left-handed instructions. I'm just so unable to "flip" this in my mind. Any lefties who can do this bun and who would be willing to make a video?

bunzfan
January 27th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Very pretty if i can do it i will do a video:wink: i'm left handed. Your hair is gorgeous and your so pretty.

Anje
January 27th, 2012, 12:42 PM
This is fabulous, and it looks so pretty with your hair and fork. I wish I could do it, but I need left-handed instructions. I'm just so unable to "flip" this in my mind. Any lefties who can do this bun and who would be willing to make a video?
Sooner or later, someone with more internet-video smarts than me is going to have to write a video flipper script which reverses left and right on youtube videos! Until then, try watching the video in the mirror!

gthlvrmx
January 27th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Hey it worked with one hairstick and its sturdy too :) Love it!

jeanniet
January 27th, 2012, 01:46 PM
This is fabulous! I used to do a twisted hairfork bun like this when my hair was shorter, but when it grew I didn't know what to do with the tail--I don't know why it didn't occur to me to wrap it around. :rolleyes: Thank you so much for posting this, because I really love putting my hair up this way. So easy and it looks so elegant!

excentricat
January 27th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Very pretty. I can even get my hair to do this. The ends stick out, but it seems to be staying. I'm fork challenged so I really appreciate this.

Rosethorn
January 27th, 2012, 02:03 PM
That's so pretty! Now I've got to relocate my longer fork....

newbeginning
January 27th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Awesome tutorial. I just tried it now. I must say your hair is very pretty...so smooth and silky.

Pixna
January 27th, 2012, 02:41 PM
That would be awesome, Bunzfan! Thank you!!!

MoreWhenNuh
January 27th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Just attempted the treble clef bun today. Now I'll have to try this one.

manderly
January 27th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Beautiful bun, Phal!! It looks like your bun got hungry and tried to gobble up your fork :D Your hair is sooooo shiny *swoon*

MoreWhenNuh
January 27th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Just attempted the treble clef bun today. Now I'll have to try this one.

MoreWhenNuh
January 27th, 2012, 04:15 PM
I have absolutely no idea why that posted twice. Sorry. :)

terpentyna
January 27th, 2012, 04:47 PM
very cool bun!

Toiréasa
January 27th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I love it ,now grow hair grow :D

sally_neuf
January 27th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Awww Looks lovely on your hair!!
I have seen this bun before under the name of "orchid wrap", so I usually wear it, is sooo elegant but rock solid!

Sundial
January 27th, 2012, 10:38 PM
It's very pretty Phal! When I first read the thread title, I thought it was about some bun you invented that was named after your screen name :o your bun looks super sleek!

I just need a slight clarification though because I'm such a doofus at instructional videos. But when you first place the fork on your head, is the curved side towards your scalp or away from your scalp? I was trying out with a metal fork and my hands got all confused during the twisting part :laugh:

lippleyluv
January 27th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Wow! I just tried this with BSL length hair. I can't wrap it quite as many times as the video but I did it, it was snug and it looks nifty! Thank you for this bun!

Phalaenopsis
January 28th, 2012, 03:17 AM
I have seen this bun before under the name of "orchid wrap", so I usually wear it, is sooo elegant but rock solid!
Yes, someone pointed that out to me yesterday. No idea it already existed! Only heard of the orchid bun and I really thought I was the first to invent this bun.

It's very pretty Phal! When I first read the thread title, I thought it was about some bun you invented that was named after your screen name :o your bun looks super sleek!

I just need a slight clarification though because I'm such a doofus at instructional videos. But when you first place the fork on your head, is the curved side towards your scalp or away from your scalp? I was trying out with a metal fork and my hands got all confused during the twisting part :laugh:

Away from your scalp (following the shape of your head), when twisting it's towards your scalp, so when you insert it in the bun it's away from your scalp.

prettykitty
January 28th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Ooh, I had to watch the tutorial three times to understand but then I got it on the second try :) Thank you for teaching us Pha!

Narya
January 28th, 2012, 10:08 AM

So it's the same as the orchid one? I must be doing one of them wrong, then, because they don't look alike at all on my hair! :lol:

Anyway, this one took me some tries to understand how I had to do the first twist (I was doing it backwards at first) but at the third try I think I got it! It did not pull at all (no headache, yay!) but was very secure! And pretty, too. :D

Henrietta
January 28th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Yaay, thank you for sharing :) I am adding it to my notebook with updo instructions :)

Maktub
January 28th, 2012, 11:15 AM
oohh gorgeous bun !

heidi w.
January 28th, 2012, 11:24 AM
It looks to me to be a version of the French Twist. Longer hair will have trouble getting all that hair up and tucked under.

Hair length matters as it concerns forming a bun.

heidi w.

heidi w.
January 28th, 2012, 11:27 AM

FYI: in the world of antique hair combs (and vintage) we call a two toothed hair comb a hair "pin" I find two teethed hair combs to offer extra holding power. Of course, if using an antique hair comb, I never ask the comb to actually hold my hair weight up because my hair is somewhat heavy. Instead I only ask it to decorate my hair. So I get more modern appliances for use in my hair.

heidi w.

beckishness
January 28th, 2012, 11:56 AM
This looks very pretty. I will be sure to try it when I get a hair fork!

Niphredil
January 28th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I also recognized it as the Orchid Wrap (not the Orchid Bun though), which I used to do a lot when my hair was at BSL last time I grew out. I recently tried it again but too short still.

Pha, you and your hair look lovely! Also very clear video!

Yozhik
January 28th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Very pretty, Phal!

I really like the music, too. :)

jeanniet
January 28th, 2012, 03:46 PM
It looks to me to be a version of the French Twist. Longer hair will have trouble getting all that hair up and tucked under.

Hair length matters as it concerns forming a bun.

heidi w.
It's not at all like a French twist. It's more of a twisted and then wrapped hairstick bun, where the hair twists around the stick as you turn it, and then the ends are wrapped around. No tucking involved. Very long hair might need some modifications, but it worked fine for my almost-hip length hair and I could easily have several more inches of hair and still do it.

SoulOfTheSea
January 28th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Yay, I got it to work with a single hair stick. :)

maria_asa
January 29th, 2012, 03:42 AM
This has been my go to bun for years but I hadn't heard of it as an orchid wrap either. Not that it matters that one of my favourite buns has gone from no name to two names, I'm going to wear it just as often anyway :D

Theobroma
January 29th, 2012, 03:45 AM
Whether we're calling it Pha Bun or Orchid Wrap, this is a great bun! Works just as well for me with hairsticks as with a two-prong fork, comes right first time every time, and holds like a rock. I think this is going to be a new favourite style for me. :)

Woods Nymph
February 23rd, 2012, 01:27 PM
LOL You'll fit in just fine around here :flowers:

Haha! Thanks! :blossom:

FYI: in the world of antique hair combs (and vintage) we call a two toothed hair comb a hair "pin" I find two teethed hair combs to offer extra holding power. Of course, if using an antique hair comb, I never ask the comb to actually hold my hair weight up because my hair is somewhat heavy. Instead I only ask it to decorate my hair. So I get more modern appliances for use in my hair.

heidi w.

Ah, I didn't know that. I appreciate the info! I have trouble holding my hair up (its so slippery!); I can't imagine how you hold all yours up! (I'll have to remember you next time I complain about having too much hair, Heidi!)

Dragon Faery
February 23rd, 2012, 08:11 PM
Lovely bun! I got it to work in spite of my shorter layers. It wasn't as smooth and shiny as yours, but it held like a rock with one chopstick. Thank you for the clear tutorial. :)

Lipbalmbabe
February 23rd, 2012, 08:14 PM
That is divine! So chic

woodlandnymph
February 23rd, 2012, 09:58 PM
Wow! That's a truly lovely updo. Thank you so much for sharing! :D

annamoonfairy
February 23rd, 2012, 10:06 PM
Very nice, simple and pretty

TeaGarden
February 23rd, 2012, 11:51 PM
I love this! It's going to be perfect for when I go to work. It's tight enough to hold, but not too tight to hurt my head. :)

Fethenwen
February 23rd, 2012, 11:51 PM
Wow, now I need to buy a hairfork :D

maborosi
February 24th, 2012, 12:11 AM
I love this! It's such a sleek, cool looking bun! I'll have to get a hairfork and try this when my hair's longer.

~maborosi~

renee2day
February 25th, 2012, 11:01 AM

Could you watch the video using a hand mirror? Hold the mirror so that you can see the computer monitor through it. Then it will appear to be done left handed.

Love the bun, now I want a hair fork or two or....

renee2day
February 25th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Sooner or later, someone with more internet-video smarts than me is going to have to write a video flipper script which reverses left and right on youtube videos! Until then, try watching the video in the mirror!

OH I should have kept reading through the thread before I replied to this.

Great minds think a like?

A flipper script is a great idea!

Love this bun. Cant wait to get a couple of hair forks and see if I can make a couple of mini pha buns. All my buns turn into mini buns.

heidi w.
February 25th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Nice updo. I don't know the name, per se, but it's been around for a while. I've worn my hair like that in the past. Um, a little tip: tuck the ends under. Detracts from the overall effect to have the ends sticking out.

Very pretty otherwise.

heidi w.

TeaEarlGreyHot
February 26th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I need a few more inches to my hair! I think by the end of the year I might be able to pull this off. For now I'll just keep using my fork for my french twists. I think this bun will be a favorite of mine.

terylenerose
May 29th, 2012, 08:57 AM
I'll be trying this sometime. I subscribed to you too! :) (I'm dancingcircuskitty.)

heidi w.
May 29th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I wanted to share a bun, for those who might like it :) Someone called it the Pha bun on our little Belgian forum, hence the name. I find it a fun bun to use with hair forks. I use a 2 prong here, but you can also use a 3 or a 4 prong if you like.

So this is how it's supposed to look like:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/DSCI0624-1.jpghttp://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/DSCI0626-1.jpghttp://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/DSCI0628-1.jpg

And here's the tutorial that a friend helped me make, I did it a bit too tight there, but you can see how it's done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsF9Kp5W9Ig

Nice. I made this bun a lot of times in the past. I never named most of my buns. I used my antique hair combs to decorate. That big curve, the big arched side, one could slide a hair comb alongside that line and really accentuate this updo very nicely. Or you can hot glue tiny flowers on the curve of a bobby pin and insert them along that line and it could look really pretty.

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 29th, 2012, 10:02 AM
I guess I finally got around to actually watching the video. I made a video a while back of how I oil my hair which included how to do a given hair bun with a hair stick (or two sticks, I think I did it with.)

I find it generally hard to put a hair stick in and then build a hair updo around it. In your video, your hands mostly cover up what you're doing. When doing any kind of hairstyling, even a simple braid video, it's important to slow down and really, really show what the hands are doing when, how one is turning the hair when and that sort of thing. Although your bun is beautiful, your hands pretty much cover up the whole thing, such as how you manage to hold the hair stick in, which almost falls out, while you're twisting your hair about, and stuff like that. So much of hair updos is not what is the hair doing; but rather, what are the hands doing? Braiding is important to know what the hands are doing, for example, to hold the tension of the weave while continuing to weave. The trick managed in this video is how to make that hair fork stay put while you twist the hair around it. That isn't wholly visible how you do that.

But it's a very good first effort video. I'm glad you didn't video in the bathroom as so many do.

heidi w.

BrightEyes
May 29th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Another reason why I must grow my hair long:D Your hair and updo are beautiful. Thanks for posting your video. You did a great job!:)

Phalaenopsis
May 29th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I guess I finally got around to actually watching the video. I made a video a while back of how I oil my hair which included how to do a given hair bun with a hair stick (or two sticks, I think I did it with.)

I find it generally hard to put a hair stick in and then build a hair updo around it. In your video, your hands mostly cover up what you're doing. When doing any kind of hairstyling, even a simple braid video, it's important to slow down and really, really show what the hands are doing when, how one is turning the hair when and that sort of thing. Although your bun is beautiful, your hands pretty much cover up the whole thing, such as how you manage to hold the hair stick in, which almost falls out, while you're twisting your hair about, and stuff like that. So much of hair updos is not what is the hair doing; but rather, what are the hands doing? Braiding is important to know what the hands are doing, for example, to hold the tension of the weave while continuing to weave. The trick managed in this video is how to make that hair fork stay put while you twist the hair around it. That isn't wholly visible how you do that.

But it's a very good first effort video. I'm glad you didn't video in the bathroom as so many do.

heidi w.

I personally don't agree, even it's not the best vid made since it's my first hairtutorial. I think you can see clearly enough how to do it, and I've been told it's a very clear video too, so I'm happy with it.
You hold the fork while you twist the hair around it. What you see, is how to do it. No secret tricks or anything. :)

afu
May 29th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Thank you for this tutorial :) I just tried it and it is so super secure, will come in very handy. worked fine on my MBL hair although I don't have alot of thickness to deal with. I used a single acrylic hairstick and made sure my hair was nicely oiled to add some grip. My hair has been left curly for the past few days so my result was nowhere near as sleek as yours but I'm looking forward to wearing this more in future

heidi w.
June 1st, 2012, 10:48 AM
I personally don't agree, even it's not the best vid made since it's my first hairtutorial. I think you can see clearly enough how to do it, and I've been told it's a very clear video too, so I'm happy with it.
You hold the fork while you twist the hair around it. What you see, is how to do it. No secret tricks or anything. :)

Okay...thank you for explaining that. I couldn't see that. Of course, I also don't see well. Good first effort. My first video had a few spots where I could have done a whole lot better. I learn each time, something new.

But the bun itself is pretty. Thank you for sharing.

It's important to be happy with your best effort.

heidi w.

PolarCathy
June 1st, 2012, 01:13 PM
I did this bun a couple of times (although I can't do a full wrap around) and I had no idea it had a name. Thanks for sharing :)

pepperminttea
June 1st, 2012, 02:47 PM
For what it's worth, I didn't find this difficult to follow at all, I was never unsure of what was happening under your hands. With some tutorials I think "whoa whoa slow down!" and I have to replay them several times, but for me that was the perfect speed; not confusingly fast, and not too slow either. :)

embee
June 1st, 2012, 07:01 PM
I can't see the video, but the end result and the descriptions are my go-to bun for the last couple years. I learned it on the old board as some variety of Orchid bun, probably Orchid Wrap, I don't remember! :) Love this updo.

Dovetail
June 1st, 2012, 07:11 PM
How pretty! I don't have any hair forks yet, but this seems very polished, and easy to do for work or somewhere I need to put my hair up quickly (Im still at mid-back) so I'm not sure if Im long enough yet