PDA

View Full Version : Can I call this hip length? [photos; taken from blog]

AnimaSola3o4
January 27th, 2012, 12:27 AM
I used my InStyler today before school, then immediately put my hair in a bun while I finished getting ready. When I took it down, I rather liked the result. In this photo it looks like it's just past waist really... but then...

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s183/AnimaSola3o4/IMG_8117.jpg

I ran my tangle teezer through it to try to unify the ends a bit since they were a little scraggly looking. And it seemed a bit longer. I put my hands where I feel like my hips are, but I honestly have no idea what 'hip level' is on me.

So I started to wonder if I could call this hip length. If so, that's a BRAND NEW milestone for me!! The last time my hair was around this length, was right before a BC (long story, but mostly because I had a drastic undercut and I wanted to even it out), and the last time it was straight at that length was in my profile picture. But keep in mind that in my profile picture, I had my 6 foot tall brother taking the photo, and in this one, it's a shelf in the bathroom closet that's probably around 4.5/5 feet. So a little different perspective of course. So I dunno.... either way I'm happy!

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s183/AnimaSola3o4/IMG_8119-1.jpg

And I'm thinking a little trim maybe half inch off the longest layer just to even it up. I might miiiiiight go and have my layers freshened up professionally. I'm slightly sad, because in the profile picture you can just tell how much thicker my hair was, and that was WITH the undercut that was at maybe shoulder length (1/3 of my hair was at shoulder length under my hair in my profile pic.) So I know that that giant shed I went through was real, even if it's not necessarily noticeable to anyone else, it is to me. But I still have thick hair, and it's getting thicker again and sprouting baby hairs again, so I'm okay with it.

YAY!!!:cheese:

Sammich
January 27th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Hip length.
Congratulations!

Buffy
January 27th, 2012, 02:41 AM
I would still call it waist length-but that's just me-i'm no expert here! I agree on you trimming the last half an inch to even it out just a bit!

Honestly, i don't know what kind of hair shed you experienced but your hair is DAMN GORGEOUS! Both in thickness, color texture etc! That's what people will think if they see your hair: that you have gorgeous , very long hair.....now whether you call it waist or hip, to me it is just a technicality! Congrats!

Avital88
January 27th, 2012, 02:50 AM
hip is where your hipbones are:)

Lissandria
January 27th, 2012, 03:17 AM
^^ yep. this looks like hip to me! :)

jojo
January 27th, 2012, 03:41 AM
I think youve an inch or 2 to go, say the bottom of your tee shirt but wow beautiful hair, love the colour and thickness!

Apriori
January 27th, 2012, 03:49 AM
I would say hip is where your hip bones are, and if that's were you're holding your hands then you're hip lenght, but to me it looks like your holding your hands a little higher than hip and that you're not quite there.

Dragon
January 27th, 2012, 04:01 AM
I think it looks very close.

pepperminttea
January 27th, 2012, 04:08 AM
You're nearly there! :)

B-L
January 27th, 2012, 04:16 AM
I think you're almost there.. an inch or two then it's definitly hip! :D
BTW Nice hair :)

Amber_Maiden
January 27th, 2012, 06:00 AM
It looks to me as if your holding your hands right under waist, so I'd say you have about 2-3 inches more till hip.

jacqueline101
January 27th, 2012, 06:07 AM
I'd say an inch or two away. Your hair is pretty.

Carolyn
January 27th, 2012, 09:44 AM
It looks to me like your thumbs are at your natural waist but the back of your palms, near your wrists are at hip length. I think you have a good 2" to go to hip length.

Lapin
January 27th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I call it pretty, pretty hair! And it does look hip to me, but *just* hip. Regardless, it looks great! Your hair in the first picture is pretty much what I'm shooting for.

AnimaSola3o4
January 27th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Hehe! Okay, what I think I'll do is wait a month, straighten it again and take a full body picture and try to figure this whole thing out once and for all. I'd take another pic right now but my hair is already curling back up lol. And I refuse to flat iron more than once a month!

Thanks for all the replies yall!!! It made my day!!

sfgirl
January 27th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I always consider I reached a goal if ALL of my hemline gets to the length. :)

MamaCimino
January 27th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Your hair is lovely! I would say it's just a couple inches to hip, judging from the pictures.

jeanniet
January 27th, 2012, 02:04 PM
My definition of hip is when it reaches the top of the pelvic bone; "solid hip" would be more like mid-hip. Anyway, it looks to me like your hands are resting at the crest of your pelvic bone (at least that's how it would be on me), so I'd say you're there. Congrats!

AnimaSola3o4
January 27th, 2012, 02:58 PM
My definition of hip is when it reaches the top of the pelvic bone; "solid hip" would be more like mid-hip. Anyway, it looks to me like your hands are resting at the crest of your pelvic bone (at least that's how it would be on me), so I'd say you're there. Congrats!

Aha!! So it's a matter of figuring out what my pelvic bone is compared to my hip bone?? Or are they the same thing? lmao I wouldn't know.

I just looked at a picture of a skeleton, by hip length do we actually mean where the hip bone starts? Cuz that's at or below where the tailbone is. I guess if we mean pelvic bone then sure.

I'm admittedly confused.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Human_skeleton_front_en.svg

terpentyna
January 27th, 2012, 04:23 PM
This length was always confusing seeing as the "hip bone" is actually three fused bones, which would give "hip length" quite a range. I assume that when your hair reaches the imaginary line drawn by the "peak" of the crest of the ilium, it is considered hip length. That's certainly where you seem to be at.

For me personally it's not even an inch below my belly button (waist length) if I am to be accurate, so I don't consider it at all. Once I'm at waist, I'm onto my "butt cheek cleft length" goal. Where I live people sometimes say that someone's hair is up to their "belt", which differs based on how you're built and what you wear and how I guess.