PDA

View Full Version : Man with a mission, but needs answers!

ehogan
January 27th, 2012, 12:20 AM
I probably have a few more months and I will be close to or right at shoulder length hair. It has been at least 8 or 9 months since I had my hair trimmed up. I usually check my hair for split ends and to see if it is coming along all healthy and such. Well it seems to be doing fine, I use shampoo, condition, and apply a smoothing creme on it for protection while brushing with a wooden comb. I guess I would be a little paranoid if I had my hair grow out this long and it not be healthy looking. So do you guys think it would be reasonable to let my hair get the length I wanted it and then some before I went to get the ends trimmed and what not?

-j-
January 27th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Welcome to LHC ehogan! :toast:

I think if you want to let your hair grow, and not trim it yet, thatīs what you must do. If the ends are fine, there is no reason to trim.

Trimming is not "mandatory" anyway. For me itīs been (counting...) 2,5 years without any trimming and there is no need to, since the ends are just fine. (Holy moly, I didnīt realise it was 2,5 years already!!)
Oiling and leave in conditioners really help to keep ends in shape. Single split ends can be "searched and destroyed" without trimming all hair.

elvishkat
January 27th, 2012, 01:05 AM
I would trim if you see/feel damage, or if you want to. If you can't see/feel damage, you don't need to trim.

B-L
January 27th, 2012, 03:14 AM
If your ends are fine then I don't have to trim at all.
There are those who do microtrims and dusting. It's a way of take off damaged ends without it affecting the lenght.

dmarie16
January 27th, 2012, 03:32 AM
I have went a year now with no trims, but it seems my growth has slowed. I want to trim according to the phases of the moon which is supposed to shock your hair into growing again. :p Sounds silly when I say it like that lol! I just can't figure it out. But trim only if you feel like it. ;)

Dragon
January 27th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Welcome to LHC :) If your ends are fine, there is no need to unless you are worried about the way your hemline looks.

Maverick494
January 27th, 2012, 06:02 AM
It all depends on what you're aiming for. If you're aiming for a length like waist, trims to keep the ends thick will definitely be good. You don't have to do trims if your ends are undamaged, but not trimming at all will mean the thickness of your length will suffer. Your hair has reached shoulder length, which means the ends will experience friction from where it comes into contact with your shoulders and clothes. Don't underestimate this.

So in short: if you want to maintain thick ends throughout your journey, a trim, say every 6 months would be good. (Every 3 months if you experience a lot of dead ends from now on).

BlondieHepburn
January 27th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Welcome! :p

I agree with what everyone else has said; if you don't need to, don't bother! I haven't trimmed my hair in over 2 years. I S&D occasionally (but mostly out of boredom) and I take special care of the ends by excessively conditioning in the shower and oiling at night.

Happy growing!

jacqueline101
January 27th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Welcome. I'd start off by saying you don't need to trim unless your ends are split or damaged. I'd do a s and d on occasions. If you want thicker ends or hem line I'd trim twice a year.

ehogan
January 27th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks for all the input! It looks like that I will let my hair get to the length I am aiming for and then dust the ends to let the hair look healthy (since my hair will be rubbing against my shoulders and clothing). I have fairly thick brown hair that is straight with a slight wave in it. I don't think my hair is looking too bad yet, so I'll keep trucking along. Right now my goal is going to be hair to my shoulders.

growfro
January 27th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I agree with all who say not to trim unless *you* feel the need to. I trim maybe once a year until my hair reaches mid back, then since my hair is longer I'll need to trim twice a year.