PDA

View Full Version : A simple question about your shampoo and conditioner

shikara
January 26th, 2012, 07:49 PM
I have heard that using a shampoo and conditioner pair (same brand and line) will give you a better result because somehow the ingredients are designed to work together. What is your experience?

Amber_Maiden
January 26th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Doesn't make much a difference. I usually mix and match, and just do what my hair likes best.

Jesabel
January 26th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I don't really think so. My scalp gets oily fast so I use a heavy conditioner on my ends when I wash my hair but a lighter shampoo. I try to use the most natural s+c so when I read the inredients list for my conditioner I can understand most of it hehe.. but all the ingredients seem to be great and my hair really likes it. If your scalp and ends like different things I don't see why it should be the same brand.. companies often put that on their products so you'll buy their line, not because it's actually better when used together (imho).

ladonna
January 26th, 2012, 08:35 PM
I tend to mix n match based on what my hair commands my to do. It like a voice in my head... it scares me sometimes :scared:

elvishkat
January 26th, 2012, 11:58 PM
I think in some cases this would be correct, and generally you won't find ingredients that might be corrosive or anything together in the same brand, but you should have no issue mixing it up with other brands :)

Mommyof4
January 27th, 2012, 12:01 AM
I think it really depends.... but I must say that my Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Shampoo/Conditioner has been giving me amazing results, and I've actually been able to stretch my washes an extra day, without having dry ends the first day!

Buffy
January 27th, 2012, 02:33 AM
I think this is companies' tricks to make you get the whole line! I don't think it's accurate at all! I always mix and match!

pepperminttea
January 27th, 2012, 04:14 AM
I think it's marketing rubbish. :shrug: I always mix and match.

hototogisu
January 27th, 2012, 05:50 AM
I use Nioxin, so I'm pretty faithful to using the whole three part system. That said, I CWC, and like most Nioxin users I prefer a richer conditioner on my lengths, so while I always use my Nioxin System 3 conditioner on my scalp I play around with the other conditioners I use.

virgo75
January 27th, 2012, 06:36 AM
I have heard that using a shampoo and conditioner pair (same brand and line) will give you a better result because somehow the ingredients are designed to work together. What is your experience?

I've always thought this too. Or at least preferred it. I wish I could find just 1 set that worked really well for me. I'm very "matchy matchy" and like to use a set or line of something.

Unfortunately this doesn't always work. I find that most shampoos and conditioners "match" but aren't necessarily complimentary. A company will pair a stripping shampoo with a light conditioner for fine hair or volume, and they'll pair a moisturizing shampoo with a heavy conditioner for moisture. The combination of stripping + light or moisturizing + heavy usually equals dry hair in the first case and build up in the second.

My scalp and hair need to be cleaned but my hair tends to be dry. So I'll use a more cleansing shampoo with a heavier conditioner or a gentle shampoo(not moisturizing though) with a light-medium conditioner. Either one works better than many sets.

XcaliburGirl
January 27th, 2012, 06:46 AM
I've thought about trying the matching conditioner for my shampoo and vice versa, but the combo I have now is working well for me. I don't want to upset the balance!

Alibran
January 27th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Mix and match.

I have one bottle of gentle shampoo (plus shower gel for clearing buildup) and loads of different conditioners that I choose from depending on how my hair feels and what - if anything - I've already done to it.

Long_hair_bear
January 27th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I use the same line, but only because I like the matching scent of my blue lilac shampoo and condish, not because I think it works better. :D

torrilin
January 27th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Mix it up.

Aesthetically matching bottles is prettier. But practically, most shampoos that work well on my hair have conditioners that aren't well suited to my hair. Most conditioners formulated for fine hair assume you want volume, so they're quite light. I don't care about volume. I care about tangles. As in I don't want them. If my hair is dry, it tangles more. And light conditioners promote dry hair. So I usually buy a conditioner that has ingredients my hair slurps up, and pair it with a nice simple shampoo.

lolot
January 27th, 2012, 09:31 AM
i used to match them before but now ive found a shampoo and conditioner that my hair likes better and they are not the same brand

gazelle
January 27th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I haven't noticed any difference, between using the same line and not. But still I have a tendency to buy the same line I don't know why

Coffeebug
January 27th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I match them usually, but again it's only from a fragrance point of view!

PurusNox
January 27th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I find most of the time, The same line of shampoo and conditioner do compliment eachother. However, there normally always is another shampoo/conditioner that would work better with that brand.

pink.sara
January 27th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I use a cheap shampoo and a very good quality heavy conditioner as I dye my hair. I also swap frequently as my hair reacts better to a swap every month or so, and that means lots of different bottles on the go constantly!

BlazingHeart
January 27th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I find that it varies. Some lines I do better with matching stuff, some lines I get better results mixing stuff. The only absolute for me is to avoid stuff formulated for dry or oily hair. My hair and scalp are balanced and using either lot of specialized stuff will make a mess of my easy-care hair. I hated that in my teens 'cause there was this line of products I loved the smell of...but they made my hair a greasy, sticky, tangly mess!

spidermom
January 27th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I usually start out with a match, but my conditioner runs out faster than my shampoo, and I often end up with a different brand conditioner. It doesn't seem to make much difference.