PDA

View Full Version : Color treated hair and CO?

GlennaGirl
January 26th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Anyone here color treat his or her hair, and CO? Does it help the color from fading or is it better to use a sulfate-free shampoo and a conditioner?

I worry that CO will fade out my color faster since keeping oils in my hair tends to be color stripping (as far as commercial color, I mean).

Would love to hear experiences. I used a demi, BTW.

joflakes
January 26th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I don't know if this is any help but I have pre-lightened hair and on top of that I have Directions deposit-only. I alternate between diluted shampoo and conditioner with a bit of Directions mixed in, to CO with Directions mixed in. I always cold-rinse and it seems to be helping me with the fading mroe than when I just S&C'd.
I guess see how you go. For me, it was better!

Hollyfire3
January 26th, 2012, 04:17 PM
How many times have you used it? if you are a consitent colorer, even a demi will last longer then 4 weeks washing 2-3 times a week. I have been washing my hair every day for about 2 weeks and my colored hair has not faded one bit, (i even clarified yesterday! same color still!) Even when i do go 3-4 days between washings the extra oil does not seem to affect the color. If you really are concerned, there are shampoos at sally's that have nonpermanent stain in them that make your color last longer (they have one for brunnetes, red heads and blondes) i use the brunnetes one and it is a miracle, you could buy just the conditioner and use that for Co washing? Just a suggestion. But remeber, a demi is not permenant so any contact with water and washing it will fade it, no matter the method used, actually, SLS shampoos are said to fade it faster, so CO washign may make the color last longer?

cheetahfast
January 26th, 2012, 04:41 PM
At one time I wished for my demi to fade.

I got it done in a salon in January (2011) in October, 8 months later it had barely faded.

The only thing I did was CO washes. Now it had finally started to fade out of the front pieces, which were blonde again, but it was still brown. I'm not sure if since my hair was blonde before the demi it held it better or not.

Then again, even using color oops did not pull the demi out...just the henna and buxus.
Hmm, maybe my experience is not helpful :p.

ladonna
January 26th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Box dyeing my hair is my main sabotage, CO doesn't fade my hair color. Only when I used BS and white vinegar did I see any fade.

GlennaGirl
January 26th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks, everyone. :)