PDA

View Full Version : Hair typing

styric
January 26th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure what type of hair I have... it changes by the day. If I leave it without doing more than a finger detangle I get this:

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/167958_487884796646_539676646_6409783_7575703_a.jp g

My pony tail has less than 2" diameter, and stretched my hair goes to waist length. When curlier, it is BSL unstretched. Some days it's long loose ringlets (especially when I twist or put a small amount of gel in it for hold), some days it's flat waves like this:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/296014_10150366092681647_539676646_8421355_4749217 81_n.jpg

It requires tons of moisture and leave in or it frizzes four inches out the side of my head, but when moisturized it tends to go into waves in between the first and second picture. I NEVER get second day curly hair, it goes into fluffy poofs, pin straight or into braid curls.

Hollyfire3
January 26th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I would say 1c or 2a, maybe even 2a/2b i going with untouched, freshly washed hair. I think typing is a matter of opinion because most peoples hair does loosen with days that go by without washing, i know mine does, i am probably a 2c right after wahing but by the next day it is alread 2bish...so sad, i love my waves and before heat styling for 3 years i had nearly ringlets...soooo sad...but, i am not expert on hair typing...this is just my opinion...your hair is gorgeous BTW, and i DO NOT believe the ponytail is under 2 inches, it looks SO thick!

styric
January 26th, 2012, 12:56 PM
It really is, it's quite fine and thin. Doesn't help I've been losing hair by the handful for a year now due to constant kidney infections. If I bun it, I can wrap my smallish hand around the whole bun without an issue. It's just fluffy.

I was just accused of having a bad perm, so in between my astonishment, I was wondering what it really is. I've been a curly all my life, if I cut my hair short I get an afro of fluffy hell.

spidermom
January 26th, 2012, 12:59 PM
If you get a few spiral curls when you let it air dry without manipulating it, you'd be at 2C. I am, but it can go 1B straight a few days after washing, combing, brushing, bunning, etc.

Hollyfire3
January 26th, 2012, 01:06 PM
It really is, it's quite fine and thin. Doesn't help I've been losing hair by the handful for a year now due to constant kidney infections. If I bun it, I can wrap my smallish hand around the whole bun without an issue. It's just fluffy.

I was just accused of having a bad perm, so in between my astonishment, I was wondering what it really is. I've been a curly all my life, if I cut my hair short I get an afro of fluffy hell.

Hugs to you! I hope all gets better, but honestly i cannot tell your hair is thin, and i am picky. Lol i understand the curly for life thing, my hair was poofy and curly when shorter, now at nearly BSL ( I know still very short!) most of the curls are sfot waves by day 2 but it is still poofy as heck! I agree with spierdmom actually (now that i look at it closer), i think you are a 2c with 1b after a few non washing days, but honestly i consider 2c curly even if it is technically wavy( i lean toward 2c on wash day after wash, so i consider myself a curly) but since i originally HATED with a passion my curls (until i nearly lost them to damage, heat styling and major protein overload i though was un fixable, they are finnally comign back and i am treasuring them with my life!:D), i was happy to find there are other with MUCH curlier hair! Lol. Whatever type people say you are (and you decide to say) your hair is beautiful and gorgeous and it ceraintly DOES NOT look like a bad perm! Think: Alyssa Milano on Charmed in the 3rd season, now THAT was a bad perm! And the blonde she was attempting to fry her hair into was not help...just another reason to LOVE Piper in steaad...lol

styric
January 26th, 2012, 01:11 PM
They're loose spirals, but yeah I get some. I've got one pic that shows a couple over my shoulder though a bit squished out from me combing hair back out of the wind:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/405869_10150530259541647_539676646_8978910_5440674 45_n.jpg

styric
January 26th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Hugs to you! I hope all gets better, but honestly i cannot tell your hair is thin, and i am picky. Lol i understand the curly for life thing, my hair was poofy and curly when shorter, now at nearly BSL ( I know still very short!) most of the curls are sfot waves by day 2 but it is still poofy as heck! I agree with spierdmom actually (now that i look at it closer), i think you are a 2c with 1b after a few non washing days, but honestly i consider 2c curly even if it is technically wavy( i lean toward 2c on wash day after wash, so i consider myself a curly) but since i originally HATED with a passion my curls (until i nearly lost them to damage, heat styling and major protein overload i though was un fixable, they are finnally comign back and i am treasuring them with my life!:D), i was happy to find there are other with MUCH curlier hair! Lol. Whatever type people say you are (and you decide to say) your hair is beautiful and gorgeous and it ceraintly DOES NOT look like a bad perm! Think: Alyssa Milano on Charmed in the 3rd season, now THAT was a bad perm! And the blonde she was attempting to fry her hair into was not help...just another reason to LOVE Piper in steaad...lol

The floof still scares me. I'm so terrified of it turning into the huge piles of frizz I remember that I eyeball it when it's fluffing up into nice spirals, and brush it out in fear. :o

spidermom
January 26th, 2012, 01:26 PM
If anything can cause huge piles of frizz, it's brushing. Finger comb a little gel through it, then try not to touch it.

Hollyfire3
January 26th, 2012, 01:31 PM
The floof still scares me. I'm so terrified of it turning into the huge piles of frizz I remember that I eyeball it when it's fluffing up into nice spirals, and brush it out in fear. :o

Lol i am guilty of this as well...but the brushing sure doesnt help anything but my nerves....well until i look in the mirror and see the frizz mess..then i start hating my waves...all over again...

styric
January 26th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I use a wide tooth comb and BBB, courtesy of tons of info here. The BBB I use more for smoothing for buns and braids as the damage from before hooks on it and shreds. Luckily it's only the last couple inches now and a protein routine really helps with it.

I'm eyeballing a horn comb from a vietnamese company.. I ordered a carved phoenix hair piece from them to check craftsmanship first.

My mother to this day bemoans my shoulder length curly hair and short bangs that used to stick up in cowlicks constantly. She thinks my long hair should be cut off as it's getting 'shaggy'.

torrilin
January 26th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Hair typing is a bit fuzzy. A lot of curly types can manipulate their hair to get a very straight look. My sister-in-law and my partner (her big brother) both have hair that's around 3a, but there's lots of pictures of her hair looking as straight as mine... and 9 times out of 10, my 1c looks more like 1a than 1c. It takes a lot of pampering for my wave to show, and once it's past pixie length, it takes a lot of pampering for s-i-l's curl to show.

If you can stand to wash your hair and not touch it at all (not even finger combing), that'll give us a clearer idea of your type. Right now it looks like 2c makes sense, but it's possible with gentler handling and more moisture that you might be curlier. For a while my s-i-l figured she was a 2c because her hair only ever showed waves, but the wavelength was super tight. Turns out her nearly hip length hair and years of rough on curls handling had pulled out the curl... now that she's got shorter hair, it's obvious that it is all corkscrews, all the time, just like her brother.

styric
January 26th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I'll have to smack my own hands and tie them to the desk but I'll try it next time I wash in a few days

styric
January 30th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Apparently since I henna'd it, my hair thickened up alot. I'm rather astonished.. I'm actually having to stretch my pony tail holders when I'm feeling lazy.

ericthegreat
January 30th, 2012, 05:14 PM
From the photos you've shown here, you look like a 2b. Your hair forms, nice, big waves especially towards the ends. I like it. :)