PDA

View Full Version : Updo tips for shortish hair!

Floodman
January 26th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Hi! My hair is finally getting longer, YAY! The problem is that it's long enough to damage from jackets and scarves etc. but too short to be kept in anything else than the same old ponytail day in and out, which I know is damaging in itself. Plus that there are some parts in my hair that needs a few inches more before I can catch it in my ponytail. I've also understood that bobby pins damage the hair too, so I'm quite out in the depth!

I've decided to buy a gentle clip or something, but the problem with the shorter hair is still there...

Also my hair is maybe 1,5 inch from shoulder when stretched(which it almost becomes after a few days up).

Any Ideas? :)

oktobergoud
January 26th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Try braiding, dutch braid the sides and then pin the ends up? I did something similar but not braiding but 'twisting' the sides last week: http://myboringhair.tumblr.com/post/15838308542/i-just-did-my-first-ever-up-do-d-proud-well Oh and I did use a lot of bobby pins for it, so it could be damaging I guess. I only did it once so I have no idea how damaging it is ;)
And uhm I don't know, that's as far as I have gotten :P

Floodman
January 26th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Try braiding, dutch braid the sides and then pin the ends up? I did something similar but not braiding but 'twisting' the sides last week: http://myboringhair.tumblr.com/post/15838308542/i-just-did-my-first-ever-up-do-d-proud-well Oh and I did use a lot of bobby pins for it, so it could be damaging I guess. I only did it once so I have no idea how damaging it is ;)
And uhm I don't know, that's as far as I have gotten :P

Interesting. Sadly enough as my hair is not all in one length, my sides are way to short for that style :(

torrilin
January 26th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Most stuff you do to style your hair is damaging, because it involves your hair moving and rubbing against stuff, even if it's mostly other hairs. This does not mean you should never style your hair, because your hair moves and rubs against stuff no matter what. The reason updos are seen as preventing damage is because they reduce the movement and rubbing to a minimum.

Since you're a curly tho, it might be better to use hair care that encourages your curls for now. Yes, your hair will look shorter. But... the extra sproing should let you gain another 2-5cm of length so you have more flex for updos.

Torrin Paige has a good video on a lace braid headband style, which will let you pick up a useful skill and get hair out of your eyes.

oktobergoud
January 26th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Interesting. Sadly enough as my hair is not all in one length, my sides are way to short for that style :(

Mine isn't one length as well! :) Okay, it's long at the sides, but when it was shorter I used to Dutch braids the sides (I find Dutch braiding holds better on french with short hair!) instead of just twisting the strands. I have no idea for the back though, I always struggle with that :P

cuties
January 27th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I had posted the same question a few days ago. I also have a little longer than shoulder length hair. You can check the responses I got here

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86623

XcaliburGirl
January 28th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Here are a couple of threads on ponytails with tips on making them less damaging: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=84054
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=81685

I wouldn't worry too much about the damage from leaving it down yet, unless you are in the wind a lot and it tangles like crazy. I think that updos are more protective for longer hair because it's going to move a lot more when down and it's not damaging to put it up with a hairstick (for example). If you have to manipulate your hair a lot to get it to stay up, then it kind of defeats the purpose.

If, however, you just want to get your hair up because it is annoying you (I sympathize). If you can do a ponytail, you might be able to do a Gibson Tuck or a peacock twist. You might need to start out making the peacock twist with the ponytail as a base.

jacqueline101
January 28th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Try to create a hair style. There are mini clips and small bobby pins. Use bobby pins with caution. I'd wear a head scarf and those are free at most clothes charity places. I would wear a head band and set it in a curl. Curl could shorten the hair.

shikara
January 28th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I wouldnt worry about the bobby pins - some of the nicest, longest heads of hair use them fairly regularly. Just use a good brand, dont use them if the tip has come off, and insert and remove them properly and carefully. I was concerned about this so did some research and started a couple threads, and am confident enough that My go to updo requires bobby pins. Even scientist and long hair lover and guru George Michael uses them! And wow, with curly hair, pinning them up loosely would be stunning! Of course, this is all IMHO!!

jacqueline101
January 28th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Try to create a hair style. There are mini clips and small bobby pins. Use bobby pins with caution. I'd wear a head scarf and those are free at most clothes charity places. I would wear a head band and set it in a curl. Curl could shorten the hair.

Floodman
January 28th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Taking in all your opinions, thanks for the perspectives :)