PDA

View Full Version : Help for a friend

Periwinkle
July 16th, 2008, 12:28 PM
This is a friend of mine: http://imagedo.com/files/l7vydw0b33edds76ji.png

Her hair is about a 2" past APL (but grows at a rate of knots, I swear), iii and very blonde at the tips and a much darker blonde at the roots (not dyed; it's just changed colour) and 1b-ish.

A couple of years ago, she started growing out a fringe that was straight across her eyebrows. Now it's at almost shoulder-length. Her hair grew right down to mid-back and then she cut it up to just above her shoulder, which looked absolutely stunning. She's not into long hair; she just didn't bother to cut it.

She really doesn't care about her hair. She leaves it down every day and she hardly bothers to brush/comb/detangle it at all, and it shows. She parts it, as you can see, so that it comes across her face. This shot was taken first thing in the morning; by lunchtime, you can't even see her eyes and it's full of little ridges where she's pushed it back wonky. It looks, to be honest, awful.

Myself and another friend of mine had a play with her hair the other day, but we couldn't come up with anything to do with it. Her fringey bits fall out of a ponytail and her hair is very determined to fall into that side part that drags itself across her face.

Does anyone have any ideas about what she could do? She has very low self-esteem and is always going on about not wanting people to see her face even though she has killer looks, so something that would show her pretty face would be nice :)

Ohio Sky
July 16th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I personally think her hair looks really good there, but I can see how it would be messy if you don't comb it a few times a day. Maybe she should just get a headband or clips to keep her hair out of her face? Or, of course, grow it longer so she can put it up!

jojo
July 16th, 2008, 02:07 PM
her hair looks lovely, a side fringe would be nice too!

Honey39
July 16th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I think it looks gorgeous just like that - maybe just comb it through now and again? Beautiful hair, the sort that I would absolutely LOVE for myself.

Nevermore
July 16th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I vote for any of these styles because all of them will keep her too-short-to-pony strands back if they're done tightly enough: http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/cornrow/ , http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/reverse-roll/ , http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/hair-roll/.

spidermom
July 16th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Since she doesn't like to fuss with her hair, I suggest hair bands. She can experiment with several different types. I am sure she will find one or more types that would be comfortable. I like Nevermore's suggestions, too, but she'll have to spend some time to create those looks.

brok3nwings
July 16th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I dont know but from the picture it seams she uses her hair parted at the side, why dont she use it more at the middle to avoit hair going into the front? When she wants a pony tail its easy with hair clips

Riot Crrl
July 16th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Seriously? This is supposed to be awful looking? :confused:

Periwinkle
July 17th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Seriously? This is supposed to be awful looking? :confused:

It looks great in that picture, but she was posing for the photo. It normally hangs in front of her eyes and isn't brushed...it looks like something sat on it :eek:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Speedbump
July 17th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Periwinkle, does your friend know that you are posting her photo on the Internet and asking hair advice for her? I am concerned about permissions here but I am also concerned that you and her other friends are so involved in her looks as well. I understand that you have the best of intentions, but it probably doesn't help her self-esteem that ALL of her friends are telling her she needs "to do something" about herself, etc. If she really wants help, she should ask for it herself. I am not judging you, you obviously have the best of intentions, but again, I am concerned about this enforcing her loop of low self-esteem. And any change that is made out of this may or may not be because she actually wants to change, but may be because she thinks she SHOULD change to please you and her other friends.

And as far as how her hair looks: It looks great! If it starts to look unkempt later in the day she can just comb it. Nothing else is needed, IMO. :)

Periwinkle
July 18th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Yes, she does know that her picture's up here: it was actually her that asked me to post, knowing of my hair obsession :)

I confess, I have the same concerns as you, though; I feel dreadful if I tell her that she really needs to brush her hair or something, but at the same time I feel dreadful because I hear people talk about it behind her back and I know she minds when she hears them doing it. I just can't win.