PDA

View Full Version : Alchohol...

FrozenBritannia
January 26th, 2012, 08:31 AM
No, this isn't a debate on alchohols good or bad in commercial products :D

I was looking up some hair mask ideas on the web, and I keep running across ones with vodka and rum in them..

Personally, that seems like a waste of good booze, (LOL) but really, what would be the benefit of putting vodka in your hair? Anyone know?

Anyone tried it?

I was googling 'honey and rose water masks' if anyone wants to see the results I was getting, but here is a link to a rum one:

http://beautypunk.wordpress.com/2011/03/20/diy-hair-mask/

Its a few down the page under damaged hair.

Bunk or brilliant?

Maktub
January 26th, 2012, 08:44 AM
I can imagine that it might clarify the hair, and the ph might also be acidic and close the pores (?) which would lead to more shine (such as with ACV)

But I think it could also be drying, depending on what it is mixed with...

Those are hypothesis !

Amber_Maiden
January 26th, 2012, 09:56 AM
I can imagine that it might clarify the hair, and the ph might also be acidic and close the pores (?) which would lead to more shine (such as with ACV)

But I think it could also be drying, depending on what it is mixed with...

Those are hypothesis !

I agree. I personally wouldn't use the stuff- I don't like the smell of alcohol, and I would think it would be more drying than ACV.

FrozenBritannia
January 26th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I think it would be drying too, thats why I was a bit confused.. And wouldn't lemon juice or vinegar be better as an acid anyway?

ktani
January 26th, 2012, 12:39 PM
A lot of those recipes tend to be recycled on the internet without sources listed or details. The alcohol may have initially been included in a recipe to help preserve it and that got lost as a reason along the way.

Silver Swan
January 26th, 2012, 01:47 PM
My instant thought was the same as Ktani, as a preservative. It doesn't make a lot of sense if the mixture is all used up right away, but they do look like quite old fashioned recipes. If anyone has any other ideas about WHY you would put alcohol on your hair, I'd love to know.

FrozenBritannia
January 26th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I hadn't thought of that!

myotislucifugus
January 26th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Beer rinses are good for volume, maybe that's the logic? Rum has lots of sugars and stuff in it, so maybe that's why. Vodka...I dunno.

furnival
January 26th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Maybe people are getting ethyl alcohol mixed up with the fatty alcohols commonly used in conditioners. :o

Anje
January 26th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Sounds drying. Maybe the alcohols are added in some cases to help everything stay in solution?

ericthegreat
January 26th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Ok I specifically came to this thread because I thought this thread was about having a great time getting drunk!!! :toast: :beerchug: :beercheer: :beer:

I declare this a MISLEADING thread title! :D

FrozenBritannia
January 27th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Ok I specifically came to this thread because I thought this thread was about having a great time getting drunk!!! :toast: :beerchug: :beercheer: :beer:

LMAO!!!

I apologise!

adiapalic
January 27th, 2012, 10:10 AM

Hehe, me too. And who knew we had so many "drinky" smilies? lol...

moxamoll
January 27th, 2012, 10:19 AM

Too funny! My first thought was "I bet this isn't about drinking, someone (looking at you FrozenBritannia) is being cute!"

FrozenBritannia
January 27th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Too funny! My first thought was "I bet this isn't about drinking, someone (looking at you FrozenBritannia) is being cute!"

Nope, just very, very literal, as always. Lol.