PDA

View Full Version : Deep conditioning without stripping chemical colour?

Pegasus Marsters
July 16th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I'm paranoid of deep conditioning my hair incase it fades my (FREAKING AWESOME!) chemical colour. Can anyone give me some advice? My ends are getting dry and crispy but I can't afford to go for a trim and I'm clinging desperately to all the length I can get. I've tried leaving conditioner on my ends longer than it's on the rest of my hair but no success there.

Wahh, my scalp is greasy and my ends are dry! Help me :wail:

bunnii
July 16th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I CO my hair and its dyed black, no trouble with fading for me might be because black doesn't fade that fast? :shrug: But if you are worried about fading then i'd suggest trying dumb blonde by Tigi, when I dyed my hair bright bright red :D this helped stop the fading, also dying can take it out of your hair and deep conditioning could help the colour to last even longer.

P.S where's pocahontas missy??? huh huh????? :p

Pegasus Marsters
July 16th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I CO my hair and its dyed black, no trouble with fading for me might be because black doesn't fade that fast? :shrug: But if you are worried about fading then i'd suggest trying dumb blonde by Tigi, when I dyed my hair bright bright red :D this helped stop the fading, also dying can take it out of your hair and deep conditioning could help the colour to last even longer.

P.S where's pocahontas missy??? huh huh????? :p

I was tempted to try and fit her and Mulan in but it was a push to fit the 6 "original" princesses in as is! Besides I have a hard time counting her and Mulan among the princesses, I don't know why. They normally get left out of the princess merchandise.

I'll have to look for the Tigi stuff... sounds good! ^.^

Ohio Sky
July 16th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I have never had problems with my hair color fading, but it's also black. Black does not fade like red. When I had chemical red, it faded no matter what I did.

BUT, I would think that using regular conditioners or even shea butter would still work. Oils may lighten color slightly, and definitely avoid honey.

ETA: I don't know what your routine is, but if you're a conehead, Aussie's 3 Minute Miracle always works wonders on my hair, and never lightened the red. Helps dyed ends a lot.

wintersun99
July 16th, 2008, 12:52 PM

orangeeyecrayon
July 16th, 2008, 12:56 PM
i have found deep conditioners only change the color of chemical hair in very very light ash blondes, and it can give them a some what golden hue.

i think you should be fine with deep conditioning just be careful to not use anything that deposits color

Riot Crrl
July 16th, 2008, 01:25 PM
When I had chemical red, it faded no matter what I did.

Agreed!

I tend to think it depends more on the dye than the care of it, within reason. If the color is tenuous anyway, then anything at all is going to pull it out and the worst deep conditioning does is speed up the process.

k_hepburn
July 16th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I tend to do my deep conditioning / ACV rinses mainly during the week before I'm going to refresh the dye. That way, my hair is in good condition to start off with, and any possible fading effects of ingredients like honey (SMT) or vinegar will soon be covered over again.

Greetings

katharine

tigerlily83
July 16th, 2008, 04:21 PM
ETA: I don't know what your routine is, but if you're a conehead, Aussie's 3 Minute Miracle always works wonders on my hair, and never lightened the red. Helps dyed ends a lot.

I second the Aussie 3 Minute Miracle. I've been using that stuff for years and it's awesome. I recently used it for a CWC wash w/ air drying, and it felt wonderful. I also love how it doesn't lighten any color I put in to my hair, and how it smells. :D

Shorty89
July 16th, 2008, 04:32 PM
What about some coconut or other oil on the dry ends? I don't know waht else would help though. I've never died my hair.

Pegasus Marsters
July 16th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Never used henna, I know oils strip dye so avoiding those like the plague and yes I'm a cone-head.

I used aussie 3 minute miracle once before... and you wanna hear the scary thing? It BURNED my scalp. God knows what was in it but I must have been allergic because eeeek!

bunnii
July 16th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Never used henna, I know oils strip dye so avoiding those like the plague and yes I'm a cone-head.

I used aussie 3 minute miracle once before... and you wanna hear the scary thing? It BURNED my scalp. God knows what was in it but I must have been allergic because eeeek!

OIL STRIPS COLOUR??NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO oooooooooo oooo :lol: I use oils and my hair looooves them i've had no colour fading or strippping, then that could be because of the black hmmmm..

Pegasus Marsters
July 16th, 2008, 05:32 PM
OIL STRIPS COLOUR??NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO oooooooooo oooo :lol: I use oils and my hair looooves them i've had no colour fading or strippping, then that could be because of the black hmmmm..

Probably is cause of the black... red fades way faster than black.

bunnii
July 16th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Probably is cause of the black... red fades way faster than black.

probably red fading is part of the reason I went black, it just seemed to bleed out for two weeks leaving me with orange hair :rolleyes:

kwaniesiam
July 16th, 2008, 05:40 PM
When I used chemical dyes to get red, the best thing that worked for me was using a BBB to bring the scalp greasies down to the ends, and a bit of cone free conditioner mixed with oil on the ends. The oil was diluted by the conditioner so it didn't make it fade as much. How often do you wash?

Pegasus Marsters
July 16th, 2008, 06:43 PM
When I used chemical dyes to get red, the best thing that worked for me was using a BBB to bring the scalp greasies down to the ends, and a bit of cone free conditioner mixed with oil on the ends. The oil was diluted by the conditioner so it didn't make it fade as much. How often do you wash?

This really depends on how much energy I have. A max of 3 times a week, normally more like once or twice a week. I have more baths than that but the effort of washing my hair is exhausting. (boohoo!)

Curlsgirl
July 16th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I'm probably no help since my hair is not red but highlighted but I have never found oil to fade my hair or any other deep conditioning product for that matter. Shampoo and baking soda are the only 2 things that have made any difference. Could you just oil your ends and deep condition and that way if it WERE to make a difference if you had to you could trim. I usually keep anything away from the roots where I get retouches including SLS shampoos of any kind, oils and conditioners. I have always heard that red dyes fade really easily so that may be the problem. What I do is wet my ends and absolutely saturate the last couple of inches with coconut oil when I wash and then sometimes if it feels dry at other times. I also put leave-in conditioner under the oil when I wash.

sandrak
July 17th, 2008, 02:47 AM
A deep conditioner that I use sometimes is Pantene Time Renewal Replenishing Mask. It is very moisturizing. I apply it to my hair, put on a plastic cap for a while, then rinse well. My hair is pretty dry, but this always makes it feel softer.

Isilme
July 17th, 2008, 04:18 AM
how about a wash in washout colour? Aren't they supposed to colour and condition at the same time? You could just use a regular deep conditioner and a squirt of colour.