PDA

View Full Version : A question about oiling your hair?

Andraste
January 25th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Just a quick questionnaire for anyne kind enough to take the time. :flower:

- Do you leave the oil on the whole time you're in-between washes? If not, for how long?
- How much oil do you use at a time?
- Does EVOO work as well, or almost as well as coconut oil? What oil do you prefer?
- Has oiling prevented splits? What other benefits come from oiling?

gracenotes
January 25th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Do you leave the oil on the whole time you're in-between washes? If not, for how long?
Yes! I use coconut oil, and I find that my hair soaks it up after a day or so.
If I'm oiling the length--just enough to make the palms of my hands shiny. If I'm oiling the ends when my hair is braided, I use quite a bit to protect it.
- Does EVOO work as well, or almost as well as coconut oil? What oil do you prefer?
I've had better luck with coconut oil personally, but I've seen people on here who swear by EVOO. I've always just found EVOO too heavy, and I feel like it doesn't penetrate my hair the way coconut oil does.
I can't say that it's prevented splits necessarily because my hair is pretty split-prone no matter what protective measures I take. I have noticed that my hair is softer and shinier, and the ends feel less dry. It's made a gigantic difference for me.

Rybe
January 26th, 2012, 12:07 AM
I'm curious to see people's answers! And hope I wouldn't be a derailer for throwing another question into the mix but...

I've never understood how you're supposed to oil all of your hair with just shiny palms. I always seem to end up with greasy patches and totally oil free patches...I suppose I'm just doing it wrong? The thick hair probably doesn't help either...

xoxophelia
January 26th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Since my hair is M/C I find a heavier oil like EVOO works well for my hair. If that is what you have right now, give it a try. I usually just put in enough to make my hair look greasy before I wash my hair. For me, that is about the size of a quarter in my palm. I'll leave it in for 1-2 hours. Overnight oiling also works wonders for dry ends.

B-L
January 26th, 2012, 12:24 AM
- Do you leave the oil on the whole time you're in-between washes? If not, for how long?
I leave baby oil in my lengths between washes, 2-3 h befor washing I do un heavy oiling with a mix of castor and coconut oil.
Just a few drops, little more (but not loads though) if I'm gonna do a heavy oiling treatment.
I've used EVOO too and it works just fine!
I'm trying baby oil now for my dry ends to see if they can get better. There is a thread about mineral/baby oil!

B-L
January 26th, 2012, 12:29 AM
A good rule with oil (or anything else fot that matter) is to take like 1-2 drops at the time. It's always easier to add more if you need to, then to put a lot from the start and then have to wash it aaalll out! :)

fridgee
January 26th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Yep, I have no idea how you would get it out between washes...without washing ;) It stops the hair getting dry, prevents tangles and gives shine, so love having it on all the time :D

I use extra virgin coconut oil, which is solid, so I scrape the back of my finger nail across the top until I have scraped off sliver about the size of the finger nail, the melt it between my hands. Thats the only way i can reliably get the same amount each time!

EVOO does work well for me as a heavy overnight oiling, but is too heavy for day to day wear. Its ok if I'm wearing my hair up, but coconut oil works better if I'm wearing my hair down (and I prefer how my hair smells with coconut oil rather than EVOO, its smells too much like cooking for me!)

I don't know for sure, but it has helped my ends stay moist and not dry out, and dry hair is often damage prone and brittle, so it has probably helped. It also helps with tangles, and less tangles means less detangling and less breakage. HTH :)

fridgee
January 26th, 2012, 03:40 AM
I'm curious to see people's answers! And hope I wouldn't be a derailer for throwing another question into the mix but...

I've never understood how you're supposed to oil all of your hair with just shiny palms. I always seem to end up with greasy patches and totally oil free patches...I suppose I'm just doing it wrong? The thick hair probably doesn't help either...

Haha this is exactly what happened to me when I started trying to use EVOO. I still can't get EVOO not to do that unless I drench my hair in the stuff for a heavy oiling, in which case then it ALL looks greasy ;)

I don't have thick hair, but I find it easier to section my hair to oil it, doing the longer layers first, then the shorter ones to make sure its thoroughly spread. Also 'sandwiching' my hair between my flat palms helps it not to end up too much in one place. If it does end up too much in one place, I find twisting that sections with a too dry section can help the oil transfer from one to the other. If you have thick hair you will probably need to use a bit more than 'normal' people anyway, but you can build it up slowly (I often don't realize I've got enough on until I go one drop too far! :p Still practicing!)

linnepinne
January 26th, 2012, 03:45 AM
I do both heavy oilings over night the night before washing day, and I wash it out the following morning. I also do a very light post-wash oiling when my hair is about 75% dry. This light oiling stays on until the next wash (I wash every 3 days usually), and some times I add a tiny bit more the next day too.
A few drops, maybe two to three. Depends on the oil though. If I use EVOO I have to use less than with coconut oil.
EVOO is my oil of preference. It just makes my hair feel moisturized, and it gives great slip and prevents tangles. I've just started experimenting with coconut oil again though, and it seems that it works for med now when my hair is a bit longer, and I've gotten rid of most of my damage. I also skip the condish when i use coconut oil, and just do vinegar rinses instead.
My hair does not split. But it does get bent and crinkled when damaged. EVOO has definately helped to keep my hair from getting to dry and velcro-y. I helps me prevent tangles too, which is the main reason my hair gets damaged anyway.

pepperminttea
January 26th, 2012, 05:26 AM
Do you leave the oil on the whole time you're in-between washes? If not, for how long?
Yes. I use a light oil post-wash, about 2-3 drops usually, then I apply a whole lot more of a heavier oil like EVOO or coconut the night before a wash.

How much oil do you use at a time?
See above for the light oil. For a heavy oil, I just keep going until my hair won't absorb any more. :o I go swimming with heavy oils in my hair to help protect it, so I'd rather my hair absorbed oil than chlorinated water.

Does EVOO work as well, or almost as well as coconut oil? What oil do you prefer?
For heavy oilings, I use both. I prefer EVOO in the winter, because coconut solidifies on my hair in the cold, but I love coconut in the summer! For light oilings, I love NightBlooming's Triple Moon oil, and sometimes camellia.

Has oiling prevented splits? What other benefits come from oiling?
Kinda, yeah. It makes my hair easier to work with and detangle, which means less damage. It makes my hair much shinier too, and the heavy pre-wash oilings save it from the chlorine and make washes less drying. :)

It's tricky, I still have trouble with this. I think the fine/thick combination makes it especially difficult; it's so easy to weigh down one area and leave another dry. One thing that has helped me is using half the amount of oil, and doing it twice. So you use the same amount in the end, but there's less risk of over-loading one particular area.

jacqueline101
January 26th, 2012, 05:27 AM
I oil my whole length everyday. I don't rinse it out I leave it in. I like cocoa nut oil argan oil sweet almond oil brazilian nut oil.

hellucy
January 26th, 2012, 05:40 AM
-Do you leave the oil on the whole time you're in-between washes? If not, for how long?
I apply coconut oil to just the ends of my hair in the evening when I am washing it the next morning
I only use a few drops unless my hair feels very dry then I apply a few more
I personally don't like EVOO as I can't stand the smell on my hair I am definately a coconut oil person
I cant say whether or not oiling has prevented split ends as I am really luck & don't often get them (even before I started looking after my hair I didn't get many), but I have noticed my hair is softer & very shiny

QMacrocarpa
January 26th, 2012, 07:27 AM
I generally don't oil the day of my (weekly) wash, but wait until the next day. My hair seems to appear greasier/stringier if I apply oil while it's damp. I probably add oil three times per week or so, mostly around the ends. I don't do heavy oilings.
Two-three drops.
I haven't tried either EVOO or coconut. The smell of olive oil has very culinary associations for me, but I suppose I will try it sometime, with some essential oil added so I feel less like a sauté.... I have successfully used jojoba oil and a blend (http://www.auracacia.com/dspCmnPrd.php?ct=lav&cn=Lavender+Harvest) from Aura Cacia. The next oil I try will be (less-expensive) almond oil.
I think oiling has prevented splits, though I expect the effect is dwarfed by the protective benefit of wearing my hair up most of the time. A tiny bit of oil can also help calm my frizz-halo.

dwell_in_safety
January 26th, 2012, 08:48 AM
No. The days that I do a deep oiling have so far always coincided with a guaranteed evening off work, and they always will at least through this year. :p After I get out of classes on those days, I let my hair down and oil it, leaving the oil in for 4-5 hours depending on how late I plan on staying up/showering, saturating it with conditioner 1-2 hours before I wash it out. I do that for my CO wash every other wash, which comes out to once every sixteen days.

For my 5" circumference between-APL-and-BSL hair, I use a teaspoon. I will probably add half a teaspoon per milestone.

Does EVOO work as well, or almost as well as coconut oil? What oil do you prefer?
Y'know, I really don't know. The first few times I oiled, it was with a mixture of EVOO and coconut oil, but I was staying at a friend's apartment at the time that lacked the water pressure to fully rinse the oil and conditioner out of my hair, so the results were less than desirable. I tried coconut oil alone the last time I oiled, and my hair has remained fantastic enough for me to not be too curious about trying either a mixture or purely EVOO.

I don't think oiling has helped prevent split ends for me, no. It may prevent white damage dots near my ends, but I think that had the most to do with stopping 'cone use, for me. It does make my hair extremely soft and shiny, and it makes it less likely to stick together because it replaces any frizz with waves. Detangling is then less of a hassle (though it's never really a hassle to begin with because my hair isn't that long yet and I keep it up all the time) which would naturally lead to less damage over time.

Georgies
January 26th, 2012, 09:50 AM
- Do you leave the oil on the whole time you're in-between washes?

Yes, though I put in an extra amount the night before washing.

This one is complicated - for most of hair just a tiny bit, a drop or two. But the back of my crown seems to have hair from someone else's head stuck on there! It's much courser and drier and can absorb as much oil as I put on there. I mean lots.

I was on a coconut oil kick for a couple of months and now I'm on a jojoba oil kick - I think I like the jojoba even better. I tried EVOO in the past and it was quite heavy, though I might go back to it for that back of the crown area. Sometimes I use a mixture of amla oil and castor oil on my scalp only before washing.

I think it's helped with splits though hasn't prevented them 100%. Mostly, it's just made my hair much more moist and shiny, and almost completely eliminated frizz. Which for curly hair is a miracle! Also, I can shampoo much less frequently b/c the oils don't seem to build up nearly as fast as cones.

ktani
January 26th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I can now with mineral oil - had to wash it out before with other oils.
2 drops or slightly more - did not see that amount mentiond here for oiling before the research here on skin and this ETA: although I did post about it since the beginning of Dec. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Have used both - coconut oil works well in an oil shampoo for me only not oiling - both were too greasy and heavy for my hair for oiling
Too early to tell for the mineral oil but from other reports there is a good chance that it may.

ETA: the thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298

MissHair
January 26th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Im sitting here oiling my hair now so I found this appropriate:

Weekdays, like now, I leave it in for approximately 3 hours before a shower.

A dime in my scalp. Or three dimes on the ends.

Personally I prefer Castor oil and Jojoba oil. I do like Coconut oil but it makes my hair very crisp and it takes about a few months til it's back to normal, but ofcourse it's an excellent moisturiser. Today I started on Rosemary oil, which I mixed with Castor oil + Jojoba oil and diluted it with water.

Definitely. My ends feel alot stronger and softer. My hair looks trimmed but I haven't trimmed it in months! Benefits are moisturised hair. I found this to be the secret to good hair health.

torrilin
January 26th, 2012, 11:29 AM

The whole time.

Enough to form a light film of oil on my hands.

Both work fairly well for me... if I'm using an oil friendly routine. My hair is pretty prone to mineral build up, and this area has quite hard water. And on my hair, oil + mineral build up == crunchy, tangly mess. So if I want to use oils, I also need to use acidic rinses to prevent mineral build up.

This works out to a rather high maintenance routine of diluted scalp shampoo, diluted vinegar rinse, and then oil. Oil doesn't give me a lot of slip, tho the vinegar rinse does, so I have to be pretty careful about tangles.

If I use a product formulated as a conditioner, I can get all the steps done in the shower, and I can pick a conditioner that provides good slip. I don't have to be as careful about timing my detangling, and it's a friendlier routine for minimal washing.

Oil vs conditioner works out around the same on me. ATM I'm favoring a conditioner oriented routine. My favorite conditioner has a lot of coconut oil in it in oil form, and it's a lot easier to work into my hair than straight coconut oil or olive oil.

Andraste
January 29th, 2012, 12:36 AM
I've noticed that most poeple have said that oiling doesn't prevent splits/damage, or they just haven't noticed. If this is the case, what is the point of oiling? What benefits do you personally see?

torrilin
January 29th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Andraste, it varies a good bit from person to person. It might be more productive for you to hunt down the coarse hair thread and the straight hair thread to see if there's any useful oiling discussion in either one for you. It looks to me like most of the straighties who have replied to this have much finer hair than you and in general, the finer and straighter the hair, the less the person is likely to be fond of oil.

And well, it also depends on a person's routine. Like I said in my response, I can't really tell the difference between my hair with the routine that works with oil and the one I use with conditioner. They work equally well. But for my hair, the oil based routine is substantially more complex, and I can't skip steps. Someone with softer water, or less build up prone hair, or who just liked playing with her hair more? She might well prefer the other routine.

dollyfish
January 29th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I've noticed that most poeple have said that oiling doesn't prevent splits/damage, or they just haven't noticed. If this is the case, what is the point of oiling? What benefits do you personally see?

I oil my hair very lightly between washes (I just dip the tips of two fingers into a jar of coconut oil and use that much) because my hair has a lot of breakage damage. What I mean by that is my hair is covered with little sticking out hairs broken off half way, or most of the way, so my hair has that general "frizzy" look. The oil smooths my hair without making it greasy or shiny (I don't use a lot) and plus, it smells great. Also, I find my hair generally breaks less if it's been oiled. I think my hair is so naturally brittle because it dries really easily in the air, especially during the wintertime.

einna
January 29th, 2012, 08:48 AM

A light oiling stays on the whole time, I often add more a few days in. I also do a heavy oiling the night before I wash (mostly CO).

It depends. A nail scratch or two of coconut oil, with EVVO I use about 2-3 drops.

Both work for me. EVVO is heavier though. In winter I often mix the two, it makes the coconut oil less hard.

I think it will in the long run. My ends get a protective film around them, that protects from friction damage and help keep the ends moisturised. My main problem is dryness anyways. Other benefits are less tangling, some shine and rizz reduction. It also helps protect my hair from getting dried out when washing, and studies have shown that coconut oil applied the day before a wash can help reduce protein loss from the hair strand. It can also protect the cuticles from swelling much when saturated with water, thus keeping the cuticle layer tighter and stronger over time. This is a good thing for me, because my hair tends to be porous.

Gingerbear
January 29th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I put Infusium23 in a spray bottle and add Argan oil to it. I shake it up to mix and spritz my wet hair as a leave in after washing, then air dry. The nights before I wash, I spritz to dampen, then do a heavier overnight oil with either coconut oil or Carol's Daughter Tui oil. I used to do the Argan overnight, but it was getting too expensive and I couldn't afford it.
I have fine hair, so the leave in is sparse or my hair looks limp and weighed down (maybe 15 drops in a smallish spritzer). I drench my hair in oil for overnight since I will be shampooing in the morning.
I really like coconut oil. I heat it first in the microwave for about 15 seconds. I don't have much experience with olive oil, so I can't give an opinion there.
I'm not sure I have noticed less splits, but I definitely see less breakage and my hair is softer, less brittle, shinier, and in better overall condition.

krissykins
January 29th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Anytime oil goes in my hair, I leave it in until the next wash day. :p

My hair LOVES oil, so I use quite a bit. Maybe 20 or so drops for my length + ends.

EVOO works differently than CO on different heads. Coconut oil is good for preventing protein loss in your hair, but it can often make hair crunchy due to the protein retention. EVOO does not make my hair crunchy, so I prefer using that. :)

Prevents splits? Uh... You could say that. It certainly keeps your hair hydrated and therefore less prone to splitting, but other factors play a role in split ends If you have frizzy hair, oil can help smooth it down and tame it! Also, one long term benefit is that your hair can be easier to work with as far as styling goes. Most importantly, it's just nice to have soft hair to run your fingers through. Oiling helped me achieve that. :cloud9:

marymonster
January 29th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I generally only go about 3 days between washes, so I'll put in a couple drops of oil a day and do a heavy oiling before I wash again, I'll usually leave it on around 4 hours.
For everyday use a few drops but if I'm doing a heavy one a tablespoon or two (my hair is pretty short)
Coconut works better on my hair but I like olive too. I prefer coconut.
Makes my hair shiny, makes it look a little thicker, I don't know if it's preventing splits or not.

nobeltonya
January 29th, 2012, 01:04 PM
- Do you leave the oil on the whole time you're in-between washes? If not, for how long? I oil at night and wash it out in the morning
- How much oil do you use at a time? about 0.5 oz? I mix it in a squeezy bottle with liquid measurements on it..
- Does EVOO work as well, or almost as well as coconut oil? What oil do you prefer? I mix enriched olive oil and pure coconut oil and that so far has worked best for me
- Has oiling prevented splits? What other benefits come from oiling? I'm a daily washer, so my hair does much better if I oil the night before.. it seems smoother and gets less tangles and seems to be thickening more [at least at the roots..] :P Plus, I brush it when I oil and wash, so I can get out more loose hairs. :cheese:

krissykins
January 29th, 2012, 01:05 PM

It's hard to say whether or not oiling prevents any splits because there are so many other factors involved. I started oiling because it helps keep my hair soft and moisturized. It's easier to detangle and to style when it's oiled. I notice a difference when I go long periods of time without oiling my hair; it's usually dry and tangly.

Sushi144
January 29th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I leave the oil on my hair. My ends are so dry they absorb it in just minutes ! I do it every day with a weekly wash - actually sometimes twice a day : it's winter so it's cold and dry here !

Mine is solid, so I take half of a nail of it.

I never used any of them. I didn't find any coconut oil where I leave, and I feel like using olive oil would make me feel like a frying vegetable ! :p So I use shea butter, which is quite heavy, but my hair seems to love it.

I suppose it did, combined with S&D. I don't have white dots on my ends anymore. But I used for only a month, so I must wait for the long term effects.
However, my hair are incredibly softer ! :cheese:

Shahada
January 29th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I oil my hair the day before I wash.
I part my hair down the middle, take enough to oil my palms and sandwich to the length and work it through the ends more so. I then take more oil and put it on my fingertips and in a shampoo motion, oil my scalp while massaging vigorously.
- Does EVOO work as well, or almost as well as coconut oil? What oil do you prefer? I like to use a castor oil on my scalp, I've made a castor oil/apricot oil, slight amount of olive oil, coconut oil, cloves, nutmeg, and peppermint oil concoction. It stimulates the scalp and is very helpful during the winter months.
- Has oiling prevented splits? What other benefits come from oiling? It prevents my hair from becoming dry but not the sole reason for preventing splits. Cutting down on heat, abstaining from chemicals such as dye and wearing my hair up is what helps the splits.

PorkChop
January 30th, 2012, 05:38 AM
Does coconut oil keep? I bought a big tub last summertime-ish. Only used it a couple of times. In this period though, it has melted and hardened again a few times.

Is it still ok to use???

virgo75
January 30th, 2012, 06:30 AM

Yes. Light oiling for in between, heavier oiling for before washing.

I always separate my hair into sections(2-3) when applying anything and this includes oil.

In between washes: I apply 1-2 drops of oil into my hand and rub my hands together so they're shiney then apply the oil to each section starting with the ends and working my way up.

On wash day or night before: I'll start with a quarter size amount per section, again starting with the ends and working my way up. I also massage a generous amount into my scalp. I use enough so that my hair is very clumpy and stuck together but not dripping. Depending on how dry my hair is this could be 1 quarter size per section or 4 applications of the same amount per section. Also, the longer I go between washes the less oil I have to use.

This winter my hair has been LOVING the EVOO!!! :love: Before I could only use it mixed into a conditioner but I've been using it straight and it's been working wonders! Oiling pre-wash and in between with EVOO has now made my hair consistantly silky(I do NOT have naturally silky hair). I like coconut oil as well but I think it can build up in my hair and give me crunchy ends over time.

If you're worried about having oily looking hair, you could try jojoba or almond oil. Both are lighter don't leave the hair greasy as easily as coconut oil or EVOO.

It seems to be helping with preventing splits and tangles, retaining moisture, keeping frizz at bay, and strength. Edited to add: I also seem to shed less hair when oiling consistantly. I lose more hair at the time of a heavy oiling, but then less hairs in between.

krissykins
January 30th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Does coconut oil keep? I bought a big tub last summertime-ish. Only used it a couple of times. In this period though, it has melted and hardened again a few times.

Is it still ok to use???

Coconut oil has a shelf life of around two years. :flower:

heidi w.
January 30th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Just a quick questionnaire for anyne kind enough to take the time. :flower:

I leave the oil on the entire duration between hair washes. I will repeatedly, almost daily, Boar Bristle Brush (BBB) my hair once it's detangled first with a comb, and completely detangled. A BBB isn't intended for removing tangles. A BBB is a polishing tool, and kind of spreads the oil around. I do not BBB my scalp hair as the oil then flattens the top hair.

I use about a fingernail full for all my length. I ONLY oil one side and then the other, detangle, then BBB. I NEVER oil the scalp hair. Ever. Sebum does the job just fine for that portion of hair. I oil basically below the earlobes down the entire length.

My understanding of Olive Oil is that it is too acidic for use on hair. I only use Coconut Oil by Spectrum Naturals, which offer a Coconut Oil intended for use on hair and skin only. It's so labeled, specifically. I get it from the Beauty Section from the Spectrum Naturals' website. This oil is often available at a Whole Foods from the Beauty section (on their website, you can see it under Body). It's expeller pressed exactly once, if I recall correctly. The salad dressing Coconut Oil, I do not use.

I've still had splits when oiling. My viewpoint is that splits is part of long hair, and learning to manage them with long hair takes a little bit of time. Other oiling benefits? Let's see:
--hair is softer
--hair seems to have a bit more strength, and definitely a bit more elasticity.
--oiling helps produce a sheen to the hair
--sometimes I include an essential oil to my mix of coconut oiling (carrier oil) and so my hair might have a nice aroma.....
--oiling provides a bit of a protective layer in a way.

heidi w.

CarpeDM
January 30th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Yes at least overnight or as long as I can get away with it
A lot, my hair soaks it up, about a small palm full
Coconut oil started to make my hair weird and crunchy, olive oil is my first choice and works wonderfully for me
I hardly ever have any splits, I might find one every 4 months or so...oiling keeps my hair soft

elfgirl
January 30th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I generally oil my hair the night before I wash it. Sometimes something will come up on wash day that prevents me from having enough time to wash (and air dry) my hair, in which case I'll just leave the oil in until the next day. I don't worry, as it allows for more moisturising! ;)

It's hard to say, as I gently scrape some of the cool coconut oil into my hand and let it warm up there...probably about a small palmful.

I've used EVOO, but it was at least three years ago, and I can't remember what it was like. I've been using coconut oil for the past 7 months or so, and love it!

I've found that my hair is softer and more healthy looking overall from oiling. It also seems to have prevented and decreased the amount of splits that I see. :D

ravenreed
January 30th, 2012, 01:06 PM

No. I get more lint and fuzz in my hair when it is oiled so I usually use it on my ends the night before I CO. Otherwise, I do a heavy oiling a couple of hours before I wash it.

Overnight, probably a teaspoon full. A heavy oiling is several teaspoons full at least, including my scalp.

I cannot use EVOO at all. It makes my hair instantly crunchy. Coconut oil is okay if I only use it once in a while. I do use it regularly before I dye my hair to protect it. In general, I use camellia, argan, or grapeseed oils.

I am not sure. My hair does split more when it gets very dry, so perhaps it does. I mostly oil to moisturize my hair, and also the argan and grapeseed oils provide slip and that help prevent tangles.

Neorah
January 30th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I try to always have a bit of oil on my hair, but it really depends.

Depends on the situation. I use coconut oil for deep overnight treatments before wash days, but I also use a few drops as a leave-in on wet hair. I only use coconut oil as a leave-in in the summer, though, as it gunks up my hair in the winter. Instead, I use jojoba... Jojoba is also my go-to for dry hair, if needed.

I've never used olive oil on my hair. I've always stuck with jojoba and coconut, though I also never did experiment much with different types of oil.

When I am diligent with my entire hair routine, including oiling, my hair is softer and less prone to tangles, and therefore seems to split less. It also feels stronger and has better shine.

dollyfish
January 30th, 2012, 07:21 PM

Is it still ok to use???

Yes, it should be fine :)

ktani
January 31st, 2012, 06:36 PM
I only use Coconut Oil by Spectrum Naturals, which offer a Coconut Oil intended for use on hair and skin only. It's so labeled, specifically. I get it from the Beauty Section from the Spectrum Naturals' website. This oil is often available at a Whole Foods from the Beauty section (on their website, you can see it under Body). It's expeller pressed exactly once, if I recall correctly. The salad dressing Coconut Oil, I do not use.

I was curious about that oil.

It is actually food grade oil too.

http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=15#j196
"Is it okay to eat Organic Coconut Oil labeled for Hair and Skin Care?
Yes, but we market it as a hair and body oil and it is specifically packaged in a convenient, unbreakable plastic tub for that reason. Nevertheless the oil and the HDPE #2 plastic are both food grade."

http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=205#p36
"For hair care, apply to wet hair, let stand for one hour, then wash thoroughly with very warm water and a non-moisturizing shampoo. May require repeated washings.
Ingredients
100% mechanically (expeller) pressed unrefined organic coconut oil.
NO ADDED PRESERVATIVES OR FRAGRANCE."

ETA: http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=15 You have to type in beauty oil
"Spectrum actually sells three coconut oils. Two are Spectrum Naturals Organic Refined Coconut Oil and Spectrum Naturals Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil ... and are labeled as culinary oils. The other is Spectrum Essentials Organic Coconut Oil ... and is labeled for skin and hair care. .... Our Spectrum Essentials Skin and Hair Coconut Oil is edible."

ETA:2 The difference appears to be in the marketing and packaging only. Yes 3 oils - but it is still unrefined, food grade, organic, expeller pressed coconut oil. It is confusing how they do that in the text.

ktani
January 31st, 2012, 07:05 PM
Olive oil acidity and hair
http://www.oliveoilsource.com/asktheexpert/does-olive-oil-its-ph-help-scalp-dermatitis

A good explanation, culminating with this quote, as the pH of oil cannot be measured like it can with other substances.

"Olive oil should not harm your hair shafts"

Dr. Dean (without the typo)
http://www.oliveoilsource.com/author/dr-dean-moyer

Shahada
February 4th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Oh my Long hair sisters; who else relishes on how beautiful your braids and updos look after oiling before washing? Really inspires me to leave the oil on longer :D