PDA

View Full Version : Man bun article in NYT

silverjen
January 25th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Saw this and thought you guys would enjoy it: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/fashion/in-brooklyn-committing-to-a-man-bun.html?_r=3

I really like the first photo. Sleek and classy.

Kitsu
January 25th, 2012, 05:33 PM
"A rubber band, a hair band or even a piece of string holds his bun in place."

I read this and winced, I hae in the past put an elastic band in my hair. never again it was uber painful :/

rock007junkie
January 25th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I keep seeing it more and more on guys. Some of them look really sexy with it.

Shebelina
January 25th, 2012, 05:50 PM
My ex boyfriend wore a man bun, he looked very good with it. It was also very practical since his hair was longer than mine at the time.

Delila
January 25th, 2012, 06:07 PM
I love the oh, so careful reference to LOL.

"Mr. Jones is committed to growing his hair long so he can donate it to Locks of Love, which provides hairpieces to disadvantaged children with hair loss."

gthlvrmx
January 25th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Go us men with buns! :D Maybe a few spin pins wouldn't hurt...or a hairstick. :D Now THAT'd be samurai.

Amber_Maiden
January 25th, 2012, 06:18 PM
My ex did man buns. he had red/brown hair at APL. Very gorgeous hair really. It was back most of the time.

EdG
January 25th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I hope it's not just a fad.
Ed

Delila
January 25th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I don't think it is a fad. I've seen plenty of men IRL and on tv wearing some form of updo.

Years back, where I live, shoulder length was LONG for a man. Now? not so noteworthy.

What else are people with hair of a certain length going to do, but put it up? Even braids aren't an be-all, end-all solution, no matter how useful they can be.

Carissamarie08
January 25th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I love when guys wear their long hair up...reminds me of the guys on Sons of Anarchy.....sexy

MissManda
January 25th, 2012, 08:30 PM
I saw a man wearing a bun when I was out and about last week. :D I thought it was awesome!

Kyla
January 25th, 2012, 08:45 PM
DBF is actually trying to grow his hair out to do this. I'm just worried he won't take proper care of it-in retrospect it's not my business, but I would hate to see his hair damaged.

PixxieStix
January 25th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Wicked cool, I hope my fiance adopts this when his hair gets longer.

owlathena
January 25th, 2012, 09:08 PM
I love men with buns! The guy across the alley from me has beautiful mid-back hair that is ALWAYS down...

Lissandria
January 25th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Love it, looks great on those two guys. :) If I was a guy, I would sport a Man Bun.

getoffmyskittle
January 25th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I love it!

InkBones
January 25th, 2012, 09:46 PM
I certainly find that appealing, hahaha. I'd love to see more men with man buns. Heck, I'd love to see more men with hair from mid-back length to beyond. <3

Excuse me while I swoon...

SoulOfTheSea
January 25th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I find it very attractive when guys where their hair in ponytails or man buns, it's so artsy and mysterious. ;)

Hollyfire3
January 25th, 2012, 10:19 PM
I certainly find that appealing, hahaha. I'd love to see more men with man buns. Heck, I'd love to see more men with hair from mid-back length to beyond. <3

Excuse me while I swoon...

Yeah, i am suprisingly liking this a guy with long hair thing, i never really thought about it but...i think i like it, alot...:D

darklion
January 26th, 2012, 12:27 AM
I *heart* the man-bun!!!

sfgirl
January 26th, 2012, 01:07 AM
I really really love the first one. ;)

hanne jensen
January 26th, 2012, 01:16 AM
It's good to see that guys are starting to protect their hair. Maybe we'll see more guys here at the LHC!

MaryMarx
January 26th, 2012, 01:19 AM
I like the first one too, that kind of updo's on men are so beautiful.
And also he looks very good the rest of him. :crush:

kamikaze hair
January 26th, 2012, 01:28 AM
MMMMMMMMM.... Man Bun.... Mmmmmm...

(excuse me while i drool)

:cloud9:

BelleBot
January 26th, 2012, 04:55 AM
I'm going to have to show this to my SO. I'd love it if he wore a man bun, so sexy. :)

pepperminttea
January 26th, 2012, 05:12 AM
So great to see this; I hope it's here to stay! :D

rock007junkie
January 26th, 2012, 06:37 AM
I love when guys wear their long hair up...reminds me of the guys on Sons of Anarchy.....sexy

I know!!! Opie is hella sexy!

david
January 26th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Awesome. I've actually seen others guys (besides myself) wearing buns these days. So maybe this article will make more guys feel that its ok to wear them. Although I definitely not use an 'elastic band' to secure it.lol, a hair-tie yes but not an elastic band. However, I generally just use pins or spin pins to secure mine since I find it easier just to throw a few pins in it rather than a hair tie.

alyanna
January 26th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I forwarded to my Dad, who's retiring at the end of the month and for the occasion, started growing his hair long. I'm really happy for him!

He's from a pretty conservative background and only one or two men in the family have longer hair. And by that, I mean a teeny, tiny ponytail.

P.S. that first picture is H.O.T!

moxamoll
January 26th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I just sent the article to my DBF for inspiration! :o

I think part of what makes having your hair up enticing, whether you're a girl or a boy or otherwise, is the inevitable desire to get my hands in there and take it down! Is there anything so intimate as playing with someone's hair??? A little mystery goes a long way! :eyebrows:

einna
January 26th, 2012, 05:21 PM
That looks very good :)

MandyBeth
January 26th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Hrm, nice on those guys, but I like DH's hair down. That's how he likes it also, so we are good.

GRU
January 26th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Seriously, that video is the tutorial they chose to link to? That wasn't even a man-bun, and it didn't look very good, IMO.

The guys in the article looked fine, but the video was pretty "meh"....

spidermom
January 26th, 2012, 07:04 PM
I've never seen this in real life. Too bad.

iris
January 26th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Yeah I've noticed a few guys in my city wearing buns lately. The ones I saw all had beards too (kind of sparse beards like the first guy in the article). Really cool. :thumbsup:

Quixii
January 26th, 2012, 08:01 PM
That first picture is hot. :D

I only know a couple guys with hair long enough for that, and they tend to wear their hair in a ponytail or down. But maybe man-buns will catch on.. xD

Das Siechtum
January 26th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I read the article and found it interesting (ignoring the last part about LOL) but I find the term "man bun" slightly sexist. A bun is a bun and it doesn't matter if it's on a man or a woman. Just looking on this picture:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/punisher1981_2006/P9200003.jpg

You cannot tell if it is a man or a woman wearing that bun (making it more noticeable, if I had shaved before taking that picture). I love to wear the infinity bun wih a Flexi8 because fixing it goes rather quick and I like the feel of it. That doesn't make my infinity bun a "man-infinity bun" its just an infinity bun. Nothing more nothing less. Putting a label on something which it really isn't, is wrong IMO.

KwaveT
January 26th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I read the article and found it interesting (ignoring the last part about LOL) but I find the term "man bun" slightly sexist. A bun is a bun and it doesn't matter if it's on a man or a woman. Just looking on this picture:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/punisher1981_2006/P9200003.jpg

You cannot tell if it is a man or a woman wearing that bun (making it more noticeable, if I had shaved before taking that picture). I love to wear the infinity bun wih a Flexi8 because fixing it goes rather quick and I like the feel of it. That doesn't make my infinity bun a "man-infinity bun" its just an infinity bun. Nothing more nothing less. Putting a label on something which it really isn't, is wrong IMO.

I agree with what you are saying here. I read one article that said don't call it an updo but call it a "man bun". Who do these men think they are fooling. Nobody that's who. You are take the things of women and inserting "man" in front of it to cover your ego. Too many men afraid of being called a sissy is what this is. They are even using rubberbands rather than more protective appendages to distance their self further from the feminine association. If it looks good then utilize it regardless of what kind of bun it is. That is my attitude towards this. I use a women's handbag and carry it like a purse. You don't see me calling my handbag a man bag since it isn't anyway. I refer to it as a pocketbook or purse. Call things what they are. Nobody is getting fooled.

Delila
January 27th, 2012, 07:21 AM
... They are even using rubberbands rather than more protective appendages to distance their self further from the feminine association. ...

I can't help thinking that a lot of people don't use more sophisticated/dedicated/undamaging hair toys simply because they don't know they exist, or can't find them where they live.

Where I live? The grocery stores and drugstores are pretty much the only source for such things, and their supplies tend toward the cheap and breakable, and the girly (and I do mean little girls), not the sort of practical=for-an-adult hairtoys that make styling adult hair day after day a simple matter.

jacqueline101
January 27th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I like how people tell us its okay to use damaging items of course that person probably has ear lobe length hair. I do like the whole male bun hair do I've never seen one in my home town.

Lippytoes
January 27th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I read the article and found it interesting (ignoring the last part about LOL) but I find the term "man bun" slightly sexist. A bun is a bun and it doesn't matter if it's on a man or a woman.

This is what I think, too. Just call it what it is, gah! It's like they feel afraid they might be tainted by the feminine connotations of the word "bun", which is just so messed up. :(

ps. Awesome bun picture!

naereid
January 27th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I rolled my eyes at the term "man bun" too... glad to see I'm not the only one! The fact that most people would say we're just exaggerating doesn't make it any less sexist.

Peter
January 27th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I'd wear a bun but my hair is so thick that I can't seem to make one that isn't huge. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but for now I think it looks silly on me so I just stick with my braid. :p

Tia2010
January 27th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Love to see a guy sporting a bun and hair-stick :crush: It shows they have the confidence to do as they please. The sad part is I hardly ever see them around here.

Woods Nymph
January 27th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I love men who bun their hair! DBF is stuck on the low ponytail--I don't think he can do anything else, lol! Mayhap I shall change that if he'll let me... ;)
Hmm...I kind of took the term "man bun" as sort of a joke...maybe it's not, though...
I agree; if it is a serious term, that's sexist.

Avital88
January 27th, 2012, 11:16 AM
i love this soo much!! there are a lot of guys wearing this style here,especially the straight haired ones,i think its very uhm... attractive :D

honeydippedxo
January 27th, 2012, 11:45 AM
A bun is a bun is a bun. I really don't see what's the big deal of calling it a man bun or not.

RapunzelKat
January 27th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Saw a guy wearing a bun for the first time IRL today! It's definitely a cool look :cool:
From what I could tell, it looked like he'd used a plain black ouchless elastic, but I didn't get a real good look at it.

Peter
January 27th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Relevant question: How exactly am I supposed to make a bun with only a hairtie/elastic, rather than a stick?

Amazinggrace
January 27th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Relevant question: How exactly am I supposed to make a bun with only a hairtie/elastic, rather than a stick?

You tist your hair into a regular bun, tuck the end into the bun, then wrap the elastice around the outer edge. :)

If you wrap the elastic around the bun once or twice you can get a flat to head look; if you wrap it around three or four times you get a more tight top knot kind of bun.

Peter
January 27th, 2012, 03:52 PM
You tist your hair into a regular bun, tuck the end into the bun, then wrap the elastice around the outer edge. :)

If you wrap the elastic around the bun once or twice you can get a flat to head look; if you wrap it around three or four times you get a more tight top knot kind of bun.My ends always flare out and look wacko. :p Do you tuck the ends under your scalp hair or into the center of the bun?

slz
January 27th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Peter, I'd venture to say it doesn't work with long hair - middle, yes, but long ? It's going to be sloppy.

Amazinggrace
January 27th, 2012, 04:24 PM
My ends always flare out and look wacko. :p Do you tuck the ends under your scalp hair or into the center of the bun?

I tuck into the scalp hair.

Isilme
January 27th, 2012, 04:32 PM
My ends always flare out and look wacko. :p Do you tuck the ends under your scalp hair or into the center of the bun?

Under the bun I wold say, I don't understand how one would tuck the ends under the scalp hair?
I would love for BF to wear a bun but he says they pull no matter how loose I make them:( he always has his ponytail that is a bit damaged and flattened and tangly from rubbing against his back and being stuck between back and chair.

drquartz1970
January 27th, 2012, 06:10 PM
interesting article. a sign of the times ? the bun is just the thing to wear up when doing an intensive workout.

KwaveT
January 27th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I am glad that I am not the only one that thinks referring to this as a "man bun" as absolutely crazy. I am surprised we are not having to refer to ponytails on men as mantails.:wink:

BlazingHeart
January 27th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Peter - That's also a thick hair thing. The thicker your hair is (especially if you have low taper), the harder it is to confine all the ends with one hairtie.

BlazingHeart
January 27th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Under the bun I wold say, I don't understand how one would tuck the ends under the scalp hair?
I would love for BF to wear a bun but he says they pull no matter how loose I make them:( he always has his ponytail that is a bit damaged and flattened and tangly from rubbing against his back and being stuck between back and chair.

Isilme, what are you using to secure the bun? Until I learned to make a fork or stick bun, I never ever found a comfortable enough bun. And at that, you probably will still need to teach him how to do it, because it's easier to judge how it will feel.

~Blaze

battles
January 27th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I am glad that I am not the only one that thinks referring to this as a "man bun" as absolutely crazy. I am surprised we are not having to refer to ponytails on men as mantails.:wink:

My male best friend/crush refers to his ponytail as his "stallion tail." :p I love his hair though, I'd guess him at about a 3b and shoulder length.

Das Siechtum
January 28th, 2012, 10:14 AM
A bun is a bun is a bun. I really don't see what's the big deal of calling it a man bun or not.

So what is a "woman-bun" then? It's the same with calling a little pink car a "women's car". Adding a property to something which it doesn't have just because of subjective feelings is bogus.

heidi w.
January 28th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I've seen men wear this kind of "man bun". I think a man, to pull it off, needs to pay careful attention to his grooming habits about his face.

I cringed when I read rubber bands are used. Yikes! I would love to teach men about how to take care of their hair, if they go longer length.

I didn't appreciate the reference to Locks of Love. The NY Times Style Section years ago ran a piece on donating hair, and led readers to their own conclusions. I talked the author of that article, and she certainly was very informed. If people knew what was going on with their donations, they'd re-think their donation, I suspect.

heidi w.

KwaveT
January 28th, 2012, 09:16 PM
So what is a "woman-bun" then? It's the same with calling a little pink car a "women's car". Adding a property to something which it doesn't have just because of subjective feelings is bogus.

I want to know what a woman-bun is too. What kind of bun is a woman-bun? How about none. Some items use to secure bun are rather feminine/girly. You have multiple options when it comes to this. This "man" thing all goes back to men not wanting association with anything of women so they stick "man" in front of said item to protect their egos. When women do the same thing they do total opposite. Women have been taking the things of men for years at times claiming it for themselves. At that point men want nothing to do with said thing anymore because it has that feminine connotation to it now even if it was something men have use for years previously. Masculine connotation gets played up with women's fashion at times. You see items marketed as "boy" or "boyfriend". You don't have to worry about anything for men being marketed "girlfriend" because it will send them running for the hills.

pepperminttea
January 29th, 2012, 01:58 AM
This thread makes me wonder if I shouldn't refer to the hair on my upper lip as my ladytash. :p

alexandros22
January 29th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Here in Greece a lot of guys(including me) wear our hair in a "man bun". It's a trend that started years ago here along with guys wearing hairbands. The funny thing is that you never see a guy with a braid or a stick bun cause that is considered feminine! So if something becomes a trend it's ok but if not it's feminine!

Shesta
January 29th, 2012, 06:21 AM
This man bun reminds me of the samurai traditions. I think it's very cool!

Shuan
January 29th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Nice to see more men wear their hair up in a bun. I tried it too, but failed horribly the first few times, so I just gave up and wore it in a ponytail. Maybe I should watch some more YouTube tutorials. :D

ETA:
Oh my, just watched the YouTube link in the article, he's using rubber bands. :run:

Gingerbear
January 29th, 2012, 08:22 AM
I imagine this on my fantasy Italian man. :)

Neoma
January 29th, 2012, 02:22 PM
There's a youngish (20-something?) guy at my office (major financial institution) who wears a bun. He is of Asian descent and very attractive. The bun looks great and very Samurai on him. And I think it looks very neat and professional.