PDA

View Full Version : Growing Hair as an Adult

dor3girl
July 16th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Does anyone else notice that hair grows differently as an adult? Mine used to grow painfully slow & thin as a child. I would envy those long haired girls & mine would never get past bra-strap length. In beauty school they taught us that hair is at its best in the teens & twenties, but mine seems thicker, healthier & grows faster now that I am in my 30s. Is this typical for fine hair? I have a theory that the longer you grow your hair, the more potential it has for getting longer (the weight & surrounding hairs would contribute). Am wondering what others think & have experienced as an adult growing hair.

3c_Gemini_Curls
July 16th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I dont know about growth but my hair texture got curlier and curlier as I got older...aslo thicker. I had fine wavy hair until the age of 5 and then the thickness started coming out of nowhere.

Loreyanne_H
July 16th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Is this typical for fine hair? I have a theory that the longer you grow your hair, the more potential it has for getting longer (the weight & surrounding hairs would contribute)

I'm not adult (lie: I'm 24 so...legally adult everywhere), and I have babyfine thin hair. I've noticed that my hair changed A LOT since I was a child/teenage:

* at birth, I had straight, thick and almost chinese black hair
* until I was 4 I had thin, stright and light hazelnut hair
* until I was 16, my hair was straight and chocolate coloured
* since the, my hair has gone lightening - now it's my avatar's colour, and it's going every year more wavy. I started as 1a and now I'm a 1c...

So yes, hair can change a lot!

MissHair
July 16th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Ugh.. I used to have VERY VERY thick hair when I was a child growing up.. And I have to say Ive lost like a third of that hair.. My hair seems to be thinning as I get older, and it grows even slower.. My hair used to grow SO fast when I was younger..

vindo
July 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM
My hair was finer and lighter when I was younger. Just as straight though. So just a few changes for me.

Coffeebug
July 16th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I had exceptionally thick blonde hair when I was 14 and it would only grow to just shy of waist length. I'm 28 now and it's slightly less thick, darker and kind of ginger and it just keeps getting longer and longer... so yeah it changes a LOT doesn't it!!

orangeeyecrayon
July 16th, 2008, 12:55 PM
my hair has not only got darker as i got older, but also got a lot thicker.

velvetcat
July 16th, 2008, 02:24 PM
my hair went wavy when I hit puberty and curly when I was about 18 or 19. It's also a lot darker than when I was a kid (I still dye though).

I can't really tell if it's any thicker, or thinner, but I know it's thinner than when I first found hair boards, I had a major shed when I lost my job. I know that thickness is coming back, slowly.

I kept my hair pretty short through the teen years, so I'm not even sure if I'm growing fast or not.
I'll take what I've got. :)

dor3girl
July 16th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Ugh.. I used to have VERY VERY thick hair when I was a child growing up.. And I have to say Ive lost like a third of that hair.. My hair seems to be thinning as I get older, and it grows even slower.. My hair used to grow SO fast when I was younger..

The only time mine has been absolutely scary is when I have just had a baby--it falls out in clumps *yikes!* Pesky hormones!

Radulfr
July 16th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I don't notice any real difference concerning how it grows now opposed to how it grew then.

eaglefeather71
July 16th, 2008, 03:35 PM
As I get older, my hair has thinned considerably. It was nice and thick in my 20's and starting around 34 it got really thin. I also went through a severe thinning from using BS on my hair, but thats all growing back nicely. Most of the regrowth is about 3-4 inches long now. My Halo is fading. I have started to thicken my hair up through babying it with natural product, and really good nutrition. I drink lots of milk, eat grass fed meats, use coconut oil, sesame oil or Olive oil when cooking or preparing foods, eat lots of local and garden produce. The nutrition really makes a HUGE difference in my hair, nails, and skin.

Starr
July 16th, 2008, 03:59 PM
My hair has gotten a lot less frizzy. . .but I don't think that has anything to do with becoming an adult.:p

DecafJane
July 16th, 2008, 04:09 PM
The curls in my hair have gotten a lot nicer and the colour is nicer somehow. I am a LOT better at handling it now, which probably helps, plus I get to choose my own hair products. :)
I don't think the growth rate has changed.

wintersun99
July 16th, 2008, 04:27 PM

FrannyG
July 16th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Everything about my hair from the texture to the thickness to the growth rate is exactly the same as when I was a child. My hair grew very quickly then too, but it never got long because my mother was always trimming it.

The only difference now is that I dye it to hide the silvers. :oops:

flapjack
July 16th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I was born with thick, blue-black, straight hair long enough to put in a ponytail. I basically looked like a little sumo wrestler in my newborn photos. There are photos of me when my brother was born (when I was 3-4 years old) and my hair was dark brown. Then it lightened up to a gold blonde color and got much thinner. Still straight. Stayed blonde until about 18-19 years old and then darkened up and started getting more red in it. Over time, it has become a medium/dark brown with some gold highlights from the sun and more and more red. It has become considerably thicker in the past few years and I'm growing in coarse hairs like when I was an infant, so now I have a mixture of hair thicknesses.

I'm just along for the ride at the moment. It's still changing color and thickness, going towards darker, redder and thicker. Which is fine by me. Always straight, though.

harpgal
July 16th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I'm not an adult....yet. But I'm guessing that everything has stayed the same except that I'm much wavier. (and crazier :D)

Cinnamon.locks
July 16th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I've always had baby fine hair, but it has gotten brighter than when i was a child. I was born bald, had red,red hair as a child and very straight and finer, then as a teen it started getting a bit darker and bright and a bit thicker and now my hair changes shades with the seasons, goes from light copper in summer to light auburn in winter plus before TLHC i had stick straight hair and now it's gone from 1A to 1B-1C and the ponytail circumference has gone from 2 inches to 3 1/2 inches! hair's growth spurt depends on various things, but it does grow fast enough, wish it grew faster.

so yep lots of changes.

paper
July 17th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I don't know if it grows any different. It does seem to grow faster. And, when I was a kid and had long hair it was so thick and frizzy. I like my hair alot better now.

Speedbump
July 17th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Genetics, hormones, overall health, environment, diet, level of care and attention and products all contribute to hair changes. I think it's probably too many variables, in an uncontrolled environment, to form a solid conclusion.

Also: Congrats on the changes in your hair that allowed you to grow! :D

ladystar
July 17th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I feel like my hair grew faster when I was about 16, but I think it’s due to the fact that I never really paid attention to it! As for thickness it’s exactly the same as when I was younger.

dor3girl
July 17th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I am reading all the comments & thinking--nutrition may have a good deal to do with it, as well. We were poor when I was a kid & the only well-rounded meal I could count on were the free hot lunches that the school provided. I don't think we even knew what a "multi-vitamin" was! Maybe that's why my hair was so wimpy as a kid. . .

vidgrl007
July 17th, 2008, 09:51 AM
After I had dd, my hair is a darker blonde.

sapphire-o
July 17th, 2008, 03:43 PM
My hair was very thick and stick straight when I was a teen. Now I've lost about an inch on the ponytail and it's all wavy and hard to manage. Oh well, at least I know updos now and can put it up. Growth rate hasn't changed.

DiyaC
July 19th, 2008, 07:56 AM
My hair's thinned :( But other than that, no difference. The rate of growth seems to be the same.

helpmegro
July 19th, 2008, 08:44 AM
My hair takes longer to grow than it used to... but then again it's never been this short before, so I may just be very impatient. It used to be curlier (closer to 3a/3b in the front - never more than 2c in the back tho) but after adulthood (and after a period right before puberty really set in when my mom tried to straighten and/or relax my hair as much a possible), my hair has straightened out to a 2b/2c though things can get a bit 3a ish in the front still! lol.

I think my hair has gotten a bit coarser with age, and oddly enough it's definitely gotten a thinner as well. I guess I am not taking as good care of myself as I used to.

Tangles
July 19th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I remember as a teenager maintaining my hair at around BSL.
I would often cut to APL though and it would grow back to BSL in about two months (!)

I'm not sure if it was my age. I think APL to BSL is a very fast-growing region for me.

Kiraela
July 19th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I'm lucky enough to have pics on my computer of me from younger years that tell a pretty good story of my hair :)

when I was around 2 or 3, my hair was way lighter than it is now - a pretty chestnutty color. As I got older, it got darker... When I was around six or seven, it was a dark chocolatey color, still with a lot of red. Around 10-11, I had been playing outside a lot, so it had lightened up to a medium-dark brown. at 12, I started dying so I really can't say how it changed(naturally, lol) from there.

I never really paid attention to the thickness, although people always commented on how thick it was. It's also always been quite soft and nice feeling, even when I was dying it. Another thing I noticed is that my hair was (and is) freakin' shiny! Good genes, I guess.