PDA

View Full Version : First LHC injury!!

sweet&sourkiwi
January 25th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Well guys, I've had my first LHC emergency...luckily it's more funny than serious...

I decided to try the black tea rinse today as I am home sick and figured I could work with a shower cap on my head and no one would see me if it didn't something weird to my hair...so, pawing through the tea drawer I realized I had two options:

1) Lapsang souchong - ew, I would smell like a bbq
2) Good Earth Sweet and Spicy - do you see where this is going?

So I brewed up a mug, dumped it in a bowl with some lukewarm water so I wouldn't get burned, lowered my hair into the broth...then my scalp...turning to get my forehead submerged and—

BURNS! Fire-ants marching all over my forehead. Eeeeeeek! I ran to the mirror to confirm that there was a crisp line across my forehead, dileanating where below, healthy untouched skin lay innocently, and above, a bright red glow! I almost laughed and cried at once and should have taken a picture...it was as clear as a strong sunburn line.

So the scalp hadn't started burning yet, so I thought maybe it was just my facial skin that was sensitive...maybe to the cinnamon oil in the tea? I thought I'd just leave it in for a few minutes and my forehead would be fine...

Scalp ants were late but started up nonetheless. %*&...I thought, running for the shower to rinse away the pain...oy! I rinsed and rinsed and CO'd and conditioned...It still burns and tingles...and I wonder what havoc this may wreak on my scalp...oh please don't blister and welt...

It still burns and feels sensitive but it's abated...and the funny forehead line is still there (along with red streaks you can see as the tea rolled down my face) but hopefully it will go in a few hours!

Is there anything I could rub into my scalp that combats chemical/cinnamon burns, or do I just wait it out?

Amber_Maiden
January 25th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Agh!
Last week I got cinnamon on my skin when doing a hair mask. My scalp was fine, but the skin on my face was on fire- for hours!!!
All I could do was put loads of face cream on, and it did eventually stop...

BelleBot
January 25th, 2012, 01:30 PM
That certainly sounds like cinnamon to me. Just wait it out and the redness and burny sensation will fade.
Best try a different tea next time. :)

chou
January 25th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Oh yikes! This happened to me once when I followed a recipe for a homemade face mask that honest to god called for 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to be mixed with yogurt or something. Hydrocortisone cream and perhaps a cool compress will help the inflammation to subside more quickly. Hydrocortisone cream, btw, is perfectly safe to put on your face in the short term for problems like this. You're just not supposed to use it every day for long periods of time or may cause your skin to become thin and fragile. Best of luck!

Achtland
January 25th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Oh jeez, I had a similar experience while messing around with scented oils - apparently guys like cinnamon undertones hey? ooo la la :love:

Fresh outa the shower, couple drops here, few there. Next thing I know I'm doing the crazy chicken dance in my bathroom, flailing back into the shower to hose myself down. Red rashes accross my wrist, behind me ears, even a spot on my tailbone. Doh!

Lesson learned - cinnamon on open pores BAD!

ericthegreat
January 25th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Ouch! Make sure those burns aren't serious, burns to your face are always very precarious so its best to still get yourself checked out by a doctor IMHO in case it wasn't an allergic reaction or something.

sweet&sourkiwi
January 25th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks all! I think it'll be fine...it's not comfy but it's not the end of the world either! I mostly just wanted to share that hair care can be dangerous...very dangerous indeed...mwa ha ha ha :)

And yes, lesson learned. I will try tea again but straight black from here on out!

marymonster
January 25th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Yikes! That sounds painful. Try putting aloe with a drop of lavender oil on the burns.

XcaliburGirl
January 25th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Ouch! Ok, note to self, avoid cinnamon on skin or hair. Thanks for the warning.

By the thread title, I thought you had carpal tunnel syndrome from being on LHC for hours a day.

Alvrodul
January 25th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Ow! Not fun, that.

I tend to be careful about this sort of thing myself, since I have allergies. And just because something is "natural" doesn't mean that it can't cause reactions like this.

bna_rapunzel
January 25th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Well guys, I've had my first LHC emergency...luckily it's more funny than serious...

I decided to try the black tea rinse today as I am home sick and figured I could work with a shower cap on my head and no one would see me if it didn't something weird to my hair...so, pawing through the tea drawer I realized I had two options:

1) Lapsang souchong - ew, I would smell like a bbq
2) Good Earth Sweet and Spicy - do you see where this is going?

So I brewed up a mug, dumped it in a bowl with some lukewarm water so I wouldn't get burned, lowered my hair into the broth...then my scalp...turning to get my forehead submerged and—

BURNS! Fire-ants marching all over my forehead. Eeeeeeek! I ran to the mirror to confirm that there was a crisp line across my forehead, dileanating where below, healthy untouched skin lay innocently, and above, a bright red glow! I almost laughed and cried at once and should have taken a picture...it was as clear as a strong sunburn line.

So the scalp hadn't started burning yet, so I thought maybe it was just my facial skin that was sensitive...maybe to the cinnamon oil in the tea? I thought I'd just leave it in for a few minutes and my forehead would be fine...

Scalp ants were late but started up nonetheless. %*&...I thought, running for the shower to rinse away the pain...oy! I rinsed and rinsed and CO'd and conditioned...It still burns and tingles...and I wonder what havoc this may wreak on my scalp...oh please don't blister and welt...

It still burns and feels sensitive but it's abated...and the funny forehead line is still there (along with red streaks you can see as the tea rolled down my face) but hopefully it will go in a few hours!

Is there anything I could rub into my scalp that combats chemical/cinnamon burns, or do I just wait it out?

Eeek! I'm sorry! That sounds awful! I don't have any advice but good luck. I won't be trying cinnamon oil anytime soon lol!

When I firrst joined lhc, I figured out how to do the rose bun, so (reaching faaaar behind me), I tried to snap a shot of this perfected bun. I tore a muscle in my neck and dislocatd my shoulder hahahaha. Needless to say, it was one of the most painful (but hilarious) things I've ever done. I couldn't move my neck for 5 hours and decided against the hospital, even though I was in excruciating pain, and pretty much paralyzed to my bed for a bit. I didn't even know my shoulder was dislocated til I looked in the mirror after my shower that night and realized that my right shoulder was limply hanging 3 inches lower than my left. Theeen we went to the hospital. :) lol! The injuries we receive over our hair never cease to amaze me.
I now use a mirror for ALL of my pictures. :)

sweet&sourkiwi
January 25th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Eeek! I'm sorry! That sounds awful! I don't have any advice but good luck. I won't be trying cinnamon oil anytime soon lol!

When I firrst joined lhc, I figured out how to do the rose bun, so (reaching faaaar behind me), I tried to snap a shot of this perfected bun. I tore a muscle in my neck and dislocatd my shoulder hahahaha. Needless to say, it was one of the most painful (but hilarious) things I've ever done. I couldn't move my neck for 5 hours and decided against the hospital, even though I was in excruciating pain, and pretty much paralyzed to my bed for a bit. I didn't even know my shoulder was dislocated til I looked in the mirror after my shower that night and realized that my right shoulder was limply hanging 3 inches lower than my left. Theeen we went to the hospital. :) lol! The injuries we receive over our hair never cease to amaze me.
I now use a mirror for ALL of my pictures. :)

Okay, you officially win! That is way worse...I've already almost forgotten about my burning scalp!

sweet&sourkiwi
January 25th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Ouch! Ok, note to self, avoid cinnamon on skin or hair. Thanks for the warning.

By the thread title, I thought you had carpal tunnel syndrome from being on LHC for hours a day.

Maybe that will be my next injury?! :) I love Pibgorn and 9 Chickweed Lane...

bna_rapunzel
January 26th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Okay, you officially win! That is way worse...I've already almost forgotten about my burning scalp!

A burning scalp would drive me up the wall. Id be wondering the same things as you. Blisters? Welts? When will it stop???? How iss it doing by the way?? Any better? and if it did stop, how's your hair? Did the treatment work as planned (apart from the fiery scalp of course)? :)

sweet&sourkiwi
January 26th, 2012, 10:58 PM
A burning scalp would drive me up the wall. Id be wondering the same things as you. Blisters? Welts? When will it stop???? How iss it doing by the way?? Any better? and if it did stop, how's your hair? Did the treatment work as planned (apart from the fiery scalp of course)? :)

I don't think the treatment did anything at all (maybe it wasn't in long enough?? Maybe because I had to co-wash it out?) and my scalp is now just a little hot and sore! Really not noticeable unless I touch it...and no welts...thanks for asking!

jacqueline101
January 29th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I think I'd leave cinnamon alone.