PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with major detangling.

Woods Nymph
January 25th, 2012, 01:02 PM
So. I have a question for all you lovely people out there... (I apologize if there's a thread about this already in existance, but, alas, I failed to find it. :)) I am in a metal band; we play local shows quite frequently. For those who don't listen to metal, shows always entail mosh pits & lots of headbanging. Being in said band, I, of course, headbang. A lot. This is partly for show--you know, theatrics, entertainment--& part of it is because I just bloody love to do it! :D So, needles to say, my hair becomes obscenely tangled afterward & I always hate detangling it. I haven't really found a good detangling aid; I usually end up using conditioner on the length in the shower when I get home & work on it afterward, but that takes FOREVER (which isn't all that big a deal) & I feel like I'm ripping my hair no matter how gentle I am. Therein lies my issue (well, one of them ;)).So, after that unecessarily long explanation, my question is thus: how do YOU guys suggest I go about detangling my mane without totally murdering it? And any suggestions as to products I could use is very welcome!
Thanks, thanks!

Amber_Maiden
January 25th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Get a Tangle Teezer. And maybe oil your hair a bit before head banging!

Phalaenopsis
January 25th, 2012, 01:06 PM
In your case, I would recommend a Tangle Teezer too. We have the same hairtype and I can get really tangled hair too, the only thing that I want to grab then, is the tangle teezer, because it makes it almost painful. It's still isn't a quick fix ofcourse.

What also helps is doing an ACV vinegar rinse in the shower. My hair is much easier to detangle when I did that.

Amazinggrace
January 25th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I would oil my hair as well, I like coconut oil. Then when you get home I would wet hair, put on conditioner, give it a few minutes, then starting at the bottom working up untagngle. I use my fingers first, then a seamsless, widetoothed, plastic comb.

heidi w.
January 25th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I would never jump in the shower and slather on anything, not even water, on hair that is massively tangled. I don't think wetting tangles is overly helpful. I would attempt to detangle or better organize the hair, at least, before washing the hair.

I think you need to find a detangler product, such as a kid's detangler product, and put that on your hair after you wash your hair, or whatever the directions say.

I must confess, the screen name Woods Nymph suggests to me a certain point of view, and to learn you like to head bang, that's an entirely different construct in my way of thinking. Interesting. I find that an interesting set of parameters. It's kind of cute.

heidi w.

Woods Nymph
January 25th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Duh! I have a Tangle Teezer! (I'm not too smart sometimes...) Good idea, Amber_Maiden & Phalaenopsis! Shall be trying this!
I like the idea of oiling, too. I've been looking into coconut oil of late, since sooo many people on LHC swear by it. So, thanks, Amazinggrace!
Heidi, I definitely agree that the shower idea was not the best..heheh, woops. :D I do have a detangling spray for kids that I've tried (probably should have mentioned it) that my hair haaaates, so that's kind of been thrown out. Though I do appreciate the suggestion!
I get that a lot from people; I'm very laid-back to the point of aloofness in daily life. And I love tranquility & the quiet solitude of the forest. But yes, I'm a metalhead through & through. Should I get that checked? :p

littleizz
January 25th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I must confess, the screen name Woods Nymph suggests to me a certain point of view, and to learn you like to head bang, that's an entirely different construct in my way of thinking. Interesting. I find that an interesting set of parameters. It's kind of cute.

heidi w.

I get that a lot from people; I'm very laid-back to the point of aloofness in daily life. And I love tranquility & the quiet solitude of the forest. But yes, I'm a metalhead through & through. Should I get that checked? :p
BAHahaha, I love it. It makes me think of Fern Gully where the human turns on his walkman for the fairies and they all start rockin' :D

spidermom
January 25th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Oil adds to tangling for me because it attracts lint and dust to my hair.

Cones help a great deal. You can get spray-on detanglers that have cones.

ravenreed
January 25th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I don't use cones, but back when I did, I loved the spray on detanglers for kids. Now that I am not using cones, I jump in the shower, load my hair with conditioner, and use my tangle teezer. That seems to help me get the worst of the tangles out.

Nedertane
January 25th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I'd say oiling is a good way to go, but what has always helped ME the best (and though I'm not in a band, I'm a mosher/metaller myself, so I get where you're comin' from :)), was leave-in conditioner, or a more basic detangling spray. Currently, I use It's a 10 with Keratin as a leave-in.

Although, if they still make it, I might totally switch to the Loreal Kids detangling spray. That stuff was great! (ramble)

Madora
January 25th, 2012, 04:13 PM
You might want to do an overnight EVOO treatment the day before the performance.

As far as detangling afterwards, try and find a gentle detangler.

Use your fingers to gently separate the strands from crown on down. I find that using 2 fingers works better than using the entire hand.

After you've separated the strands, then take a wide tooth comb and start to detangle by taking a very THIN section of hair, and gently combing from the bottom of the strands up to the top. Continue in this way until all the hair has been detangled.

I would not, under any circumstances, recommend a TangleTeaser on hair that massively snarled. You want to limit the interaction of the tangled strands with any kind of teeth or tines..and since a wide tooth comb has less "pricklies" to contend with, a comb...and tons of patience, is a gentler approach.

Anje
January 25th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I would suggest planning ahead and liberally smearing your hair with a silicone serum before headbanging.

elfgirl
January 25th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Like others have written, I would also suggest using some sort of oil...either EVOO or Coconut, or Jojoba first. If my hair has been really terribly tangled, I've used the Noutregena Detangling Conditoner with great results. I think they still make it.

Best of luck!

einna
January 25th, 2012, 05:14 PM
I would suggest you read the thread on Mineral Oil. It might be something for you. It has a lot of the advantages cones has, but is supposed to be easily washed out (in case you try to limit the SLS in your shampoo, or CO wash, as many here do). Good luck :)

lunalocks
January 25th, 2012, 05:26 PM
a detangler is essential for me to keep my hair tangle free even when it has dried, for days. i use MOP Pear detangler.

jacqueline101
January 25th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I'd recommend a detangler spray in one like I use. I use the cheap one for a dollar its kids but I like the smell of it. I'd work the tangles out bottom going to top and then oils a little to prevent knots when you are on stage.

Maktub
January 25th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't use oil (more tangles for me because of dust)

Silicones before show - that could work.

And a massive amount of conditionner on dry hair, a wide tooth comb of TT, and patience working bottom-up.

Keeping hair well trimmed also helps reduce tangles !

Hollyfire3
January 25th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I totally understand not wanting to detangle hair, especially if you do something that makes it tangle severly. I have gone days with out combing my hair out just because i couldn't be bothered to do so (no particular reason, just lazy). I recomed trying to detangle it in sections, go slowwllly, even if it takes a while, it is worth it. Maybe smooth some hair cream in before headbanging?

|Xei
January 25th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I'd suggest using a silicone serum before the show. Then, after the show, dilute some coney conditioner until it's of a thin, yogurt-like consistency, completely coat your dry hair in it, and then detangle with your comb of choice. Working on small sections at a time helps a lot. The reason for diluting is to prevent the conditioner from drying up and becoming sticky in your hair. It also seems to help tangles fall apart by themselves. This is one of the methods I use for taking out backcombing.

blondie9912
January 25th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Oiling hair after it tangles helps me TREMENDOUSLY with detangling

Rybe
January 25th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Looks like we're almost hair twins! For myself when I get crazy, crazy tangled hair I wait until it is BONE DRY (wait for all that sweaty concert funk to dry off, haha) and then tangle teaser, obviously working up from the bottom. I've used other brushes that are similar in feel but it sounds like you have a tangle teaser! Any moisture makes it just 1000000 times worse for me. A coney detangling serum might work too, but I'm scared of the moisture! I also know with my fine hair oils seem to just make it worse...but everyone's hair is different!

Woods Nymph
January 26th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Oh my goodness!! I have my work cut out for me, don't I? :D You guys are awesome! Thank each of you so, so much for your wonderful advice! I love it. :flowers:
I shall be experimenting... :magic:

GRU
January 26th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I would not, under any circumstances, recommend a TangleTeaser on hair that massively snarled. You want to limit the interaction of the tangled strands with any kind of teeth or tines..and since a wide tooth comb has less "pricklies" to contend with, a comb...and tons of patience, is a gentler approach.

I disagree -- as someone whose hair can get majorly tangled on a windless day :rolleyes:, I have found that using a Tangle Teezer, slowly, starting at the ends and working up gradually, is very effective and very gentle.

HappyHair87
January 26th, 2012, 08:59 PM
From a 3c/4a head to a 1a head.....detangle in sections with lots of conditioner in the shower....finger comb first THEN use the tangle teaser.(OR widetooth comb....i had to stop with that tangle teezer):p

torrilin
January 27th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Since your hair is pretty thick... It might be worth looking at some performance videos so you can see how other artists do their hair for stage. I know the Evanecesnce chick has long hair (by the rest of the world's standard anyway), and she does headbang a fair bit for shows. IIRC she tends to have her hair done in ways where it'll still headbang, but she won't have the whole mass tangled from scalp to ends.

A little preventive sectioning might make a huge difference in how awful things are.

Mannaz
January 27th, 2012, 08:59 AM
When my hair is ubertangled I do a side braid and slowly start detangling by opening one braid bump at a time and detangling one of the three sections. I remember having times when ripping my hair into three sections to make the braid has been a horrible task...so yeah, I do know what you're talking about, my detangling might take as long as three days, like after being on a festival...