PDA

View Full Version : Sock Buns and Damage

Synnovea
January 25th, 2012, 12:00 PM
I've recently learned how to do a sock bun and I think it's lovely but I'm curious as to how much stress it places on hair, specifically the ends.

Does anyone have experience with seeing breakage from this updo?

littleizz
January 25th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Do you mean the roll-it-up sock bun or the ponytail-splayed-around-the-outside-and-rubberbanded sock bun? I suppose either COULD do damage if they weren't done carefully, but I prefer the rolled one. Interested to see what others add!

Synnovea
January 25th, 2012, 12:20 PM
The rolled version with the sock. It seems like this method would be less damaging than the alternative but I still worry a little about my ends. It seems like they're taking a thorough thrashing from me as I'm battling them by trying to get them properly rolled into the sock. Maybe once I get better at this they won't suffer so much.

littleizz
January 25th, 2012, 12:30 PM
This might be difficult with shorter hair and/or shorter layers that you keep having to add to the rolling, but this is what I do...

I kind of treat the sock like a soft roller for one or two flips before I spread my hair out. In other words, I keep my pony all together and roll the sock once or twice so that my pony is still all together, but the ends are totally tucked under (like I'm putting it in a roller). THEN I kind of fan them out and proceed with the sock/hair rolling.

Like I said, you might not be able to do this if all of the hair in your pony isn't the same length, but if it works for you, I don't think it poses any risk to your ends at all, if anything it keeps them very protected!

ladonna
January 25th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I do a sock bun with out hair bands or rolled up, I wrap a scarf around the bun to hold it in place. I was wondering about damage too.

lunalocks
January 25th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I was concerned about this too, not only about the ends, but about the elastics that are needed. I tried it once and gave up, it was such a mess.

Mrspuddinhead
January 27th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Well, when I do it I've been using rubber bands to hold the ends in place. I've just recently learned that my ends tend to behave them self very well so maybe i don't need the rubber bands. So, with that being said I'm going to start using hair scarves and see how that works out. Or if its the ends you are worried about and your hair is long enough you could let it hang down or braid and then wrap around.