PDA

View Full Version : What to do when you need to use heat/hairspray

JesusFreak88
January 25th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I am a theatre student and there are shows where i either need to use heat products or hairspray. How do you protect it? Are there any dancers/drama people who have this problem and how do you deal with it?

HintOfMint
January 25th, 2012, 02:34 PM
For a few dance productions and cheerleading in my youth, I used a curly ponytail piece.

Rollers were a bit time consuming and unpredictable as to how the curl would turn out, but fake hair pieces worked like a charm.

As to hairspray, just try not to comb it out once it's dried. once you spray the style, don't touch it until you're rinsing it out in the shower. Yes, there's alcohol, but the real damage comes from trying to pry apart the glued together strands of hair.

ibleedlipstick
January 25th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I dance ballet, and whenever I have to bun it I just throw a fair bit of panacea in there and it sticks together enough to look like I used hair spray. Plus, it is deep-conditioning without trying!

As far as the heat tools good, just use a good-quality heat protector and a low setting. Otherwise, just have fun! Ultimately, it is only hair.

Amber_Maiden
January 25th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I used to be a model, from 2007 to this fall. I've decided just to be a mom now. I had my hair backcombed, straightened, etc. Bad stuff happened to my hair. One of the words I started to say was "NO". No you can't do this to my hair and no you can't do that. Basically acted like a diva, according to the hairstylists. I then decided that the best thing to do was make it known before I accepted any jobs, that I would not do certain things to my hair. Not the best thing in the world, and I lost about 70% of jobs because of it, but my hair is alright and it was worth it.