PDA

View Full Version : Can of coke?!

Amber_Maiden
January 24th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I've just read on the net, from various sources, that if you pour a can of coke (the soft drink) over your hair it can help fade hair dye?!

I debated whether this could really happen with my husband and he said that if you leave a tooth in a can of coke the tooth will dissolve in a matter of days :agape: Which really doesn't surprise me considering it can get rust off my ancient bike from the 70s... :rolleyes:

According to my research:
"Coca-Cola contains phosphoric acid which can react with calcium in teeth. Then there's a surprising amount of sugar - micro-organisms in the mouth use sugar as a food (energy) source, producing acids which can also attack your teeth. Other ingredients include caffeine (34.5mg per 330ml/11.5 fl oz (UK) can - a 225ml/8 fl oz cup of coffee contains approximately 135mg of caffeine), caramel colour and carbonated water, preservatives and certain E-number additives.
In Los Angeles, USA, you can get classic Coke in 8 oz (240ml), 12 oz (360ml), 20 oz (600ml), one litre and two litre bottles." http://h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/A12590327

"Coca-Cola has achieved almost-legend status as a stain remover. The Mythbusters TV programme heard a report that American highway clean-up crews carry bottles of Coca-Cola to wash away blood from the road, and proved it worked. Cola also removes oil stains from concrete drives and garage bases. Apparently diet coke helps fade hair dye, but you have to use flat regular coke to separate curls. Hopefully no more bad hair days then." (same website)

What I'm wondering is, do you think whatever is in coke could hurt one's hair? Would phosphoric acid react badly with indigo?

Tia2010
January 24th, 2012, 08:42 PM
"Coca-Cola has achieved almost-legend status as a stain remover. The Mythbusters TV programme heard a report that American highway clean-up crews carry bottles of Coca-Cola to wash away blood from the road, and proved it worked. Cola also removes oil stains from concrete drives and garage bases.

What I'm wondering is, do you think whatever is in coke could hurt one's hair? Would phosphoric acid react badly with indigo?

*side eyeing my coke* Wow...I'm not sure I want to drink it now!!

It would probably fade the dye but I can't imagine it would be good for your hair.

ellen732
January 24th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I can only imagine what it does to your stomach lining :p

apynip
January 24th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I've used this technique before! It does work! But only with diet is what I heard. I tend to only drink diet (I know it's bad to drink) and so I used it. It did come out a little.

Mommyof4
January 24th, 2012, 09:01 PM
This is some useful information! I didn't know this!!!

RapunzelKat
January 24th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Well, I don't know about lifting color, but I can definitely give you a word of warning that having Coke in your hair is disgusting - sticky, smelly, and hard to get out :bigtongue: I know because somebody once shook a bottle and threw it near me - it exploded and I had a hairful of Coke shudder:

But if you don't mind the yuck factor... ;) Maybe try a strand test and see what it does?

sfgirl
January 24th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Diet coke wont your hair sticky. :) No real sugar!

pepperminttea
January 24th, 2012, 11:36 PM
I've used it as a toilet cleaner before, so it's safe to say it's not something I'm going to hurry to tip over my head. :p

DragonLady
January 24th, 2012, 11:54 PM

Nothing whatsoever. Coke has absolutely no standing in the world when compared to hydrochloric acid. ;)

Of the Fae
January 25th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Diet coke does. The aspartame has some not so nifty qualities that can really mess up your body.

ibleedlipstick
January 25th, 2012, 01:25 AM
I'm going to keep an eye on this thread- I'm trying to lighten chemically dyed black hair right now.

MaryMarx
January 25th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Oh... I wonder if this would work on hair that has been dyed for like ten years... anyway I don't dare to try it!

Phalaenopsis
January 25th, 2012, 02:50 AM
I wouldn't pour it on my hair or in my mouth. I find coca-cola pure poison, IMHO.

A few days ago I saw in a bio shop that they sell deloré sos colour remover with no ammonia or peroxide. I would look for something like that.

B-L
January 25th, 2012, 02:52 AM
:poot:

Thank God I don't like coke!! Will it worke with aby kind of soda or just coke?? :confused:

Tota
January 25th, 2012, 03:00 AM
We used to do some experiments in school - we put a small chicken bone in a bottle of coke and left it in over night and the chicken bone was gone the next day. The same happened with Sprite I think (or Seven Up, I'm not sure which one). You can also put a steak in coke and see what it does to it - holes and the steak gets smaller. The chemistry teacher also told us that coke is used to clean the roads after accidents because it bleaches the blood really well. And you can also clean the toilet with it because it kills the bacteria ... All that and then ... it tastes so damn good to me :(

But if they really use it to clean blood stains I think it should be able to lighten your hair.

jackie75
January 25th, 2012, 04:18 AM
I couldn't see myself wasting a can of coke on my hair....that would be like using a bottle of beer to cook with....

I rather drink it! :D

Sammich
January 25th, 2012, 04:20 AM
Coke can also clean a coin pretty well.

PixieKitten
January 25th, 2012, 04:20 AM
So coke is used for cleaning blood stains off of roads, as toilet cleaner, for getting rid of rust on bikes and for disintergrating flesh.
And people seriously drink this stuff?! Blegh!

ktani
January 25th, 2012, 06:00 AM
This goes back a bit in time, http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/1998-10/909181221.Ch.r.html

If the product pH is under 3.5 and enough is used over time, it can be damaging. That applies to any very acidic product. Very here applies to relevance to the pH of the acidity of hair and skin, average 4.7.

ETA: Hair has no pH on its own. The acid mantle does - that coats the hair.

Amber_Maiden
January 25th, 2012, 07:28 AM
This goes back a bit in time, http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/1998-10/909181221.Ch.r.html

If the product pH is under 3.5 and enough is used over time, it can be damaging. That applies to any very acidic product. Very here applies to relevance to the pH of the acidity of hair and skin, average 4.7.

ETA: Hair has no pH on its own. The acid mantle does - that coats the hair.

Thank you Ktani!

So it might work but would be very damaging?

Also- to everyone else- I agree, Coke, and other soft drinks, are VERY nasty. I haven't drank them in years!

PrairieRose
January 25th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I don't about putting it on your hair, but I find the information interesting. I am not a big soda drinker to begin with but I think this is enough to help me stop completely!

Amber_Maiden
January 25th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I don't about putting it on your hair, but I find the information interesting. I am not a big soda drinker to begin with but I think this is enough to help me stop completely!

haha! Good!!! :):p

ktani
January 25th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Thank you Ktani!

So it might work but would be very damaging?

Also- to everyone else- I agree, Coke, and other soft drinks, are VERY nasty. I haven't drank them in years!

You are very welcome.

It depends on the pH of the variety you choose. Since that information was written there are more choices. You would need pH test strips or to contact the company and ask for the information.

It would also depend on how much you used and how you used it - diluted or not, how long you left it on your hair, whether you rinsed it out etc.

Amber_Maiden
January 25th, 2012, 08:11 AM
You are very welcome.

It depends on the pH of the variety you choose. Since that information was written there are more choices. You would need pH test strips or to contact the company and ask for the information.

It would also depend on how much you used and how you used it - diluted or not, how long you left it on your hair, whether you rinsed it out etc.

I'm not sure if I would do it... But I do find the information interesting.

If I did do it, I probably wouldn't dilute it, and I'd probably only leave it on the hair for 10-15min Max. And I would definitely rinse it out.

I think I'd like to continue with the more natural honey masks first though... I dislike the thought of putting something so artificial (the coke) on my hair. If I stay away from chemicals as a rule, I shouldn't disregard it now. Especially since I wouldn't eat the stuff (the coke). Nasty.

ktani
January 25th, 2012, 08:18 AM
I'm not sure if I would do it... But I do find the information interesting.

If I did do it, I probably wouldn't dilute it, and I'd probably only leave it on the hair for 10-15min Max. And I would definitely rinse it out.

The pH of straight vinegar and straight lemon juice is about 2.3 - close to one of the varieties mentioned. That has not dissolved hair when people here have applied both undiluted to hair, lol.

I do not recommend doing that though.

Maktub
January 25th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I don't trust coke in my body, nor in my hair :)

spidermom
January 25th, 2012, 08:21 AM
If it dissolves proteins (the steak example), I'd definitely keep it away from my hair.

Amber_Maiden
January 25th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Thank everyone- definitely not going to do it. I figure this I stay away from chemicals and foods like coke, I shouldn't start now to use them! Especially on my hair.

Must have patience and use honey masks- my new mantra. ;)

ktani
January 25th, 2012, 08:25 AM
If it dissolves proteins (the steak example), I'd definitely keep it away from my hair.

You can tenderize meat with lemon juice and vinegar too. No one here has lost hair that I know of in terms of severe damage with diluted lemon juice or vinegar rinses.

The few cases where both were used straight? No long term damage reported either I am aware of but I did not follow-up.

A. Correira
January 25th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Well, I am now very glad that I gave up soda a few years ago... BUT! this doesn't really surprise me. I have heard about the teeth thing if you leave it in a can of coke... which is a little scary... so if you decide to use it on your hair, be careful.... a strand of hair is only a fraction of the size of a tooth... just think of what it might do to the hair...

ktani
January 25th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Club soda is fine to use for hard water or neutralizing chlorine, not lightening that I know of because its pH is buffered and hair friendly at about 5. The baking soda in it is part of the buffering system only.

Amber_Maiden
January 25th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Club soda is fine to use for hard water or neutralizing chlorine, not lightening that I know of because its pH is buffered and hair friendly at about 5. The baking soda in it is part of the buffering system only.

Hmmm.. It's very interesting isn't it? All comes down to PH levels...

W2
January 25th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Well - you can clean toilets with toothpaste too - it works fine!

blondie9912
January 25th, 2012, 04:44 PM

Exactly why I refuse to drink it :p

DragonLady
January 25th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Exactly why I refuse to drink it :p

I wasn't kidding. The acidity of Coke won't hurt your stomach lining, no matter what it does to chicken bones, rusty nails, coins or blood on the highways.

The gastric acid your stomach uses to break down the foods you eat is much, much stronger than the acid in a can of Coke. Granted, any substance may be harmful over time, and any beverage may contain ingredients which are not healthy. But, the acid alone is not going to harm your stomach lining -it is built to handle much, much tougher stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrochloric_acid

Gastric acid is one of the main secretions of the stomach. It consists mainly of hydrochloric acid and acidifies the stomach content to a pH of 1 to 2.[27]

Chloride (Cl−) and hydrogen (H+) ions are secreted separately in the stomach fundus region at the top of the stomach by parietal cells of the gastric mucosa into a secretory network called canaliculi before it enters the stomach lumen.[28]

Gastric acid acts as a barrier against microorganisms to prevent infections and is important for the digestion of food. Its low pH denatures proteins and thereby makes them susceptible to degradation by digestive enzymes such as pepsin. The low pH also activates the enzyme precursor pepsinogen into the active enzyme pepsin by self-cleavage. After leaving the stomach, the hydrochloric acid of the chyme is neutralized in the duodenum by sodium bicarbonate.[27]

The stomach itself is protected from the strong acid by the secretion of a thick, protective mucus layer, and by secretin induced buffering with sodium bicarbonate. Heartburn or peptic ulcers can develop when these mechanisms fail. Drugs of the antihistaminic and proton pump inhibitor classes can inhibit the production of acid in the stomach, and antacids are used to neutralize existing acid.[27][29]

MandyBeth
January 25th, 2012, 10:53 PM
I have had real Coke in my hair and didn't wash it out until the next day. Other than being AWFUL to get out due to the sugar, no damage on my easily damaged hair, and no lightening of black dye. I still drink it. Often. NEVER the vile Diet stuff tho.

hanne jensen
January 26th, 2012, 01:51 AM
I wouldn't dump coke on my head. I used the stuff to keep my car battery clean.

Here in Denmark, farmers have been experimenting with using coke as a fertilizer in the fields.

jojo
January 26th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Ive heard of people using it diluted as a hair spray.

Id be interested to see if it does get rid of hair dye though.