PDA

View Full Version : How messy does your braid get as the day wears on?

shikara
January 24th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Sheesh, I was just looking at mine - what a mess! I seem to recall when I used a little petrolatum just on the length, it stayed neater (and looked thicker)!

littleizz
January 24th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I've never put anything on my braids (I'd be interested to try, though!), and I can't keep it in for more than a few hours before I feel that I should take it out and make it again. Layers don't help, but... I just can't make it work. I hardly ever wear braids down.

Kelikea
January 24th, 2012, 06:35 PM
It can get pretty fuzzy! I always wet the hair first to help it stay better. Sometimes I'll redo it, sometimes it stays all day, just depends on weather and how active I am.

Zesty
January 24th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Mine can get very fuzzy, which is part of why I rarely wear plain braids. Two braids isn't as bad, but a single braid can basically look like it has exploded if I don't redo it.

darklyndsea
January 24th, 2012, 06:44 PM
It pretty much looks like it's all fuzz by the end of the day, if I haven't put my braid up somehow.

RapunzelKat
January 24th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Super messy and fuzzy! :p All my styles get a bit fuzzy by the end of the day now anyway, since I stopped using hairspray and am working on finding a substitute. I generally braid my hair in the morning, so it will be fairly smooth for work, then redo it in the evening so it will be snug for nighttime, without strands coming out. I often have little strands at my nape and sometimes at the back of my head that work themselves out of the braid as well as the fuzzies :shrug:

I have found that the EVOO I've been using on my length is making my braids smoother and thicker looking. ;) I think you can also use AVG, but I have not had the best of luck with that personally.

Shebelina
January 24th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I wear my hair in a single braid when I'm working at the riding stables. After twelve hours my braid looks horrendous! It's even worse if it has been raining at all. My braid kind of shinks to about half its length, and its a nightmare to get out.

However, until I find a better way to keep my hair out of the way, that still allows me to wear a riding hat, the braid will remain part of the daily routine.

dwell_in_safety
January 24th, 2012, 07:22 PM
It depends on the type. A traditional braid will usually not look too horrible after an entire day, but rope braids can get a bit ridiculous. I think it's because I have a harder time keeping the strands separate with rope braids.

Madora
January 24th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Usually stays the same most of the day when I wear my lace braid.

Wearing a single braid down causes fuzziness after 6 or 7 hours, which is why I don't do it any longer.

racrane
January 24th, 2012, 08:09 PM
My braid gets super fuzzy. I have to redo it every few hours or so. It gets annoying, which is why I'd rather it be in a bun as that stays put.

Chromis
January 24th, 2012, 08:54 PM
The braid itself stays neat, but my nape gets messy after about 6 or 8 hours if worn down. I normally wear a braid either for sleeping or have it as part of a braided updo though.

omnivore
January 24th, 2012, 09:59 PM
It gets pretty dreadful by the end of the day. It's almost bedtime, and it looks rather like a rat family has taken up housekeeping on my head.

Ok, so it's not that bad, but it does get very fuzzy! My nape hairs especially, they like to try and hold hands across my throat by the end of the day.

I've been braiding it for work every day for the last few weeks. I really prefer to bun my hair, but I'm currently experiencing a bun challenge.

gatodelasenora
January 24th, 2012, 10:16 PM
I make a solution of half oil and water in a fine mist spray bottle. I used this to lightly mist my hair and brush through to distribute. My braid itself stays pretty good. My hair on top (the part slicked back) gets fuzzy by the end of the day, especially if I'm very active, so I'll use gel to keep that part lookin good.

sfgirl
January 24th, 2012, 10:55 PM
My hair gets really messy, but I like my messy braids and buns. :) I think they're cute.

Amazinggrace
January 25th, 2012, 12:18 AM
I braid my hair wet, on a wash day, or dampened with water. As long as it is damp it stays put all day. If I braid it dry by the end of the day I have little fly-aways everywhere.

pepperminttea
January 25th, 2012, 02:28 AM
If I bun it, it stays quite well actually. Minimal fuzzies by the end of the day. If I wear it 'down' against my back? Fuzz city! It looks like a kitten's been clawing it. :p

B-L
January 25th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Fuzzy and messy! I also have layers witch contributes to the messy look! But i like messy braids too :D

jasper
January 25th, 2012, 03:40 AM
I usually re-do mine a couple of times in a day if it is messy. That's the reason I am not so crazy about fishtailing my braid. I love how it looks but I know I will wear it until it is totally fuzzy because the time involved in undoing and re-doing it keeps me from fixing it during the day.

Taenarian
January 25th, 2012, 05:45 AM
I braid daily - French or Dutch, depending on mood - and it's fuzzy before the day's end. If I'm going out, I'll simply re-do the braid. The braid is much neater altogether than my signature ponytail, as the ponytail had a mind of its own and went Superfuzz on me within an hour.

wandlimb
January 25th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Fuzzball. I always have to do my hair again throughout the day if I braid it.

terpentyna
January 25th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Mine gets very messy within 4 hours unless I grease it very well, and it looks yucky so I only do that on lace braids.

QMacrocarpa
January 25th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Medium fuzzy. Rope braids are worse than others, but actually the last time I tried, not too bad. I don't often wear a braid down (other than for sleeping), just once every week or two to humor my husband. I don't generally redo my braid during the day unless there's something pulling and uncomfortable.

ladyfey
January 25th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Mine gets horrid rather quickly if just braided. I always wear it bunned up, it does well that way.

Alix
January 25th, 2012, 07:20 AM
A braid down, gets messy very quickly. But I have layers. A crown braid will stay in pretty good place for a while.

Jessibear2854
January 25th, 2012, 09:40 AM
My braids get very fuzzy and it starts falling apart within hours. I have layers and slippery hair so I guess that's why...?! If I wear a braid I know I'm going to be re-doing it all day long. :(

Jessykins
January 25th, 2012, 10:58 AM
mine gets a bit fuzzy, but i also braid my bangs in so during the day the very front (if i french braid) goes into a bump, and if im not careful and catch it ill have a random piece of fringe in my face

spidermom
January 25th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Mine starts getting fluffy within an hour no matter what I do, EXCEPT pinning the braid up - then it stays pretty nice.

jacqueline101
January 25th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I have layers so I do twin braids real well but a single braid forget it.

Coffeebug
January 25th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Mine is a right old mess in not time LOL I probably ought to care a lot more than I do! I've been around a lot of fleece what with Slankets etc recently, and that definitely hasn't helped!

Sushi144
January 25th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Mine is already a mess after a couple of hours ! ^^ But it's fine, I like the romantic look it gives to me. :)

ibleedlipstick
January 25th, 2012, 02:32 PM
My hair is super fine, and if I leave a braid down my hair takes it as a personal challenge to gain freedom and fluff. It will be super messy by noon if I do it at six, and I will have to do it over. It is far easier to bun it :p

Woosh
January 25th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Very messy apparently!

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/3143/messybraid.png

It looks like there's a centipede or something trying to climb my back... Yikes!

Unfortunately I was not aware of how bad it was, otherwise I probably wouldn't have walked around with it all day :(

Woods Nymph
January 25th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Woosh, I feel your pain. Layers & braids, at least for me, hate each other.
Dye the above photo brown & that's me. :shrug:

Snippety
January 25th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Very messy apparently!

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/3143/messybraid.png

It looks like there's a centipede or something trying to climb my back... Yikes!

Unfortunately I was not aware of how bad it was, otherwise I probably wouldn't have walked around with it all day :(

Ha ! :) That looks like an awesome coat, if you don't mind me saying.

The length of my braid stays quite neat, but fluffy hair round my face and neck slips out and drives me crazy so I have to re-plait two or three times a day.

AspenSong
January 25th, 2012, 03:17 PM
My hair is so fine and thin, it takes all of about 15 minutes before it's messy and loose. And because it gets like that, it tangles even IN a braid. *mumbles*
Hence why besides being braiding skill challenged and having such a said tiny braid, why I don't wear them... :p

Woosh
January 25th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Ha ! :) That looks like an awesome coat, if you don't mind me saying.

The length of my braid stays quite neat, but fluffy hair round my face and neck slips out and drives me crazy so I have to re-plait two or three times a day.

I definitely do not mind you saying ;), thanks!

I think it works really well with my (new) haircolor, even if I say so myself :p

Cirafly24
January 25th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Very VERY messy! It gets ridiculously fuzzy within an hour or so, if it's rubbing against my clothes or the back of a chair. If I oil my hair first, it stays neater longer, but still gets messy over the course of a day.

I prefer to wear my braids bunned :)

feb26
January 25th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I'm lucky I guess!! I put gel/oil in my hair prior to braiding and unless I'm very active, it doesn't get messy. i have found that braiding when damp, uncombed, works fab!! & no big knots when taking it out either!

longcurlygirl<3
January 25th, 2012, 04:39 PM
It's frizzy and fuzzy city for me. Especially if I have body sculpting that day. :P