PDA

View Full Version : Waxy hair?

Long_hair_bear
January 24th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Hey all!

So lately, for about the past week or so, my hair has had a waxy texture to it. I don't use cones or styling products of any kind in my hair. I have used the same shampoo and condish for months now and loved it, so that's not it. I also clarified recently. The only recent change I've made is to mineral oil over jojoba. I loved it at first, but now I'm fearing it's building up in my hair. My hair has never had this waxy texture before. I only ever use a drop or two of it too. Another thought I had is that maybe I'm over conditioning my hair. I condition and oil 3 times a week to protect my hair from winter. Maybe I'm overdoing it?

Thoughts?

Maelyssa
January 24th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I agree that it may be the mineral oil. From my understanding, mineral oil coats the shaft rather than gets absorbed into it so perhaps it's a buildup of mineral oil.

Long_hair_bear
January 24th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I tried to shampoo it out. It helped alittle but now I think I'm gonna have to reclarify. :(

spidermom
January 24th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I'd definitely clarify and go back to the last routine that worked. Mineral oil sounds like a fail.

Carolyn
January 24th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Stop using the mineral oil and get a new shampoo and conditioner.

spike316
January 24th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Occasionally toadstool will get a bit waxy. The jojoba that is in the conditioner is technically a liquid wax, I clarify as needed in my washing routine (usually once a month). ^_^ The shampoo might be too gentle to get the mineral oil off though, so that may be part of it as well.

Long_hair_bear
January 24th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I don't think it's the toadstool as I've used it for 6 to 8 months and had no problems whatsoever. I think it started with the mineral oil. I'm thinking of trying nightbloomings doodads, like her triple moon oil and panacea and seeing how they work out. :D

Carolyn
January 24th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I would stop the mineral first and clarify again. If that doesn't do it then I think you have to consider you've been using the same products for too long and that your hair needs a rest. Some hair doesn't mind the same products wash after wash but often switching products with give your hair a restart. That doesn't mean you would have to give you your toadstool products forever. You can throw in something else now and then or get a product rotation going like some of us do. It's something to consider.

spike316
January 24th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Nightblooming's triple anointing oil has worked wonders for my hair in conjunction with toadstool!

Long_hair_bear
January 24th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Nightblooming's triple anointing oil has worked wonders for my hair in conjunction with toadstool!

Oh? Have you tried her panacea too?

spike316
January 24th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Oh? Have you tried her panacea too?

I have, unfortunately it seemed to build up on it. I think it could have just been reacting poorly with my bleached ends though. I recommend getting one of her faery satchets, that way you get to try a few things out and see what works best for you. ^_^