PDA

View Full Version : Hairloss support thread

DarkBeauty
January 24th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Hey all, i've decided to create a thread like this, i'm not sure if i'm alone, but my hair has been shedding for the last 6 months, i have lost half the thickness and its fine texture. I have tried most things, vitamin supplements, no more dye/straighteners. Yet it still continues to shed like crazy, no bald patches or anything, but shedding all over. My iron stores are normal and so are my thyroid results, although i still do not feel normal. Weird?

So i've decided to create a sort of ''support'' thread so we can help eachother with our solutions :) I'm thinking of buying some EPO to see if i can reduce the shedding. I hope this thread gets some recognition :)

Anyhow, i've discovered a helpful website, which can explain different types of hairlosses.

http://www.keratin.com/

Georgies
January 24th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I've had awful hair loss in the past - even a 2" bald spot during a time of intense stress. It was scary and made the stress worse. So I really empathize! I've also had medication related thinning. It did eventually all grow back, but I'm always aware it can happen again. I feel for you and hope you find the cause or it decides to come back on its own!

alyanna
January 24th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Hi!
Just thought I'd let you know of this thread, with the same title as yours ;)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1124&highlight=hairloss

Gingerbear
January 24th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Have you been to see a dermatologist or trichologist? I am guessing so since it seems like you have had some lab work done. Sometimes hair goes through a shedding phase (telogen effluvium) that can last months. I think one of the tests for this is what they call a "hair pull test". Normally if you run your hand through your hair, you should not find more than 1-2 hairs pulled out in your hand. If you have more, it is a sign of increased shedding. Did you have any kind of illness or major stressor in your life before this started? Don't lose hope. If it is this, your hair will eventually recover. I know it's hard when you lose so much volume. You will be in my thoughts.

yummie
January 24th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Oiling with scalp massages before washing helps. I had a major shed after a very stressful event and it took about 8 months for my hair started to regulate, It's so hard to lose a lot of hair but you've got to be very gentle and baby your hair.

Revontuletar
January 24th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I have recently had a lot of shedding too, mainly due to being on roaccutane and being stressed. I am trying castor oil scalp massages every few days, as that is supposed to help with shedding and hair loss. I have only been using it a little over a week so I can't say whether it's working for me or not, but my scalp loves it, and there are quite a few over on the castor oil thread who have had great success with it. Good luck, I totally understand what you're going through!