PDA

View Full Version : Oil before Shampoo?

SopphireGem
January 24th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Would it be a good idea to put oil in my hair (coconut oil, perhaps) before I shampoo so that the shampoo won't dry my hair out too much?

turtlelover
January 24th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I do this w/ coconut oil and it works well

spidermom
January 24th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I use coconut oil for this, too. I usually oil my length, and when I wash, I put conditioner on my length as well. The combination leaves me with nice, silky, clean and shiny hair.

cubedcoley
January 24th, 2012, 02:52 PM
When I was SL to APL, I was not very fond of coconut oil as it seemed to make it crunchy. However, that was about 18 months ago and I had not really experimented with oils as in how to apply and how much to use. I am near BSL and now, I have re-tried coconut oil and love love love it before my CO washes. I oil it for 24 hours stick it in a bun (nobody is the wiser that my hair is full of coconut oil!), then wash with Suave Naturals followed by a thicker creamier conditioner from the ears down. Happy oiling!

Amber_Maiden
January 24th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I use oil on my hair everyday- I stretch my washes. I also like to do an oil soak before I wash, and I apply oil afterwards.

Synnovea
January 24th, 2012, 02:57 PM
I've learned this technique here and I'm a fan. I, too, will sometimes slather my ends in coconut oil, bun it for a few hours, then CWC and it leaves my hair feeling soft, manageable, and wonderful.

white.chocolate
January 24th, 2012, 02:57 PM
I think it really depends on the shampoo you're using. I use a very mild shampoo. My leave-in conditioner and natural sebum are enough, and my hair isn't squeaky clean and dry after I shampoo.

jlo8937
January 24th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I put coconut oil on my hair an hour before I shampoo then put a shower cap on. Leave it on for an hour and about 5-10 minutes before I was it out I blow dry it so the heat will make it work better. Afterwords it feels so soft but it is still a little frizzy. I am wondering if I need some split ends trimmed off and them it will not be so frizzy.

Andraste
January 24th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Sorry, questions: How does this help? And can you get pure coconut oil from walmart?

jessa
January 24th, 2012, 04:59 PM
great thread! i was also wondering this. i am going to try this next wash! thanks

Kelikea
January 24th, 2012, 05:09 PM
You can also use coconut oil to make oil-shampoo. Mixing the oil with the shampoo makes it penetrate the hair shaft better.

dwell_in_safety
January 24th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Sorry, questions: How does this help? And can you get pure coconut oil from walmart?

I'll leave someone else to answer the chemistry part of how it helps, but it leaves my hair incredibly silky and shiny. It is in the best condition now that it has been in my entire life due pretty much to coconut oil and CO washing (which is definitely not for everyone, and a few have bad experiences with coconut oil as well).

I bought mine at Walmart. :p They don't carry extra virgin coconut oil, which is the kind that smells and tastes delectable, but normal LouAna brand pure coconut oil has been working fantastically for me. I think it costs about $5-6 for 31.5 ounces.

ETA:
The best way to get oil out of hair after a heavy oiling, or accidental heavy oiling :p , is using a light cheap cone-free conditioner (think Suave Naturals), fully saturating the hair with it before showering, and leaving it on for half an hour to a few hours before washing it out. Works like a charm for me every time.

Andraste
January 24th, 2012, 08:13 PM
I'll leave someone else to answer the chemistry part of how it helps, but it leaves my hair incredibly silky and shiny. It is in the best condition now that it has been in my entire life due pretty much to coconut oil and CO washing (which is definitely not for everyone, and a few have bad experiences with coconut oil as well).

I bought mine at Walmart. :p They don't carry extra virgin coconut oil, which is the kind that smells and tastes delectable, but normal LouAna brand pure coconut oil has been working fantastically for me. I think it costs about $5-6 for 31.5 ounces.

Thank you. :flower:

beachgirlla
January 24th, 2012, 08:16 PM
I use coconut oil for this, too. I usually oil my length, and when I wash, I put conditioner on my length as well. The combination leaves me with nice, silky, clean and shiny hair.
spidermom, do you wash the hair with shampoo to remove the oil if not how do you get shiny clean looking hair not greasy :D

TitaniaOfFairys
January 24th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I do this with coconut or olive oil, and it's really great. My hair is shinier and softer, if I wash this way.

hellucy
January 25th, 2012, 03:05 AM
I apply a little coconut oil just to the ends of my hair before bed then wash my hair the next morning and my hair feels lovely & soft.
Since finding it I absolutely love coconut oil & it will remain a fixture in my haircare routine.

pepperminttea
January 25th, 2012, 03:13 AM
I do this too - I use coconut oil in summer, extra virgin olive oil in winter. :)

If in doubt when buying oils, get the kind you can cook with, 100% pure.

B-L
January 25th, 2012, 03:21 AM
I have oil in my hair almost every day, but I wash my hair once or twice a week with CO. I do a scalp massage with coconut/castor oil mix before every wash and leave it in for 1-2 hours and then wash it out. Works wonders!

virgo75
January 25th, 2012, 06:09 AM
This winter oiling my hair before each shampoo has dramatically improved my hair!

I've used oils off and on, but never consistantly. For some reason I just decided to use olive oil before every wash and the difference is amazing. When I rinse the shampoo out my hair is sooooooo silky! It didn't happen until after about the 3rd time though.

Lucky_Lucy
January 25th, 2012, 06:17 AM
I do this before every shampoo and I use argan oil(my mom bought some so I thought I'd use it, but when it's finished I'll probably try coconut oil/olive oil) and it works perfectly, especially with CWC. It makes my hair smooth and silky!

ktani
January 25th, 2012, 06:35 AM
This winter oiling my hair before each shampoo has dramatically improved my hair!

I've used oils off and on, but never consistantly. For some reason I just decided to use olive oil before every wash and the difference is amazing. When I rinse the shampoo out my hair is sooooooo silky! It didn't happen until after about the 3rd time though.

That makes perfect sense. Your shampoo is not removing all of the oil each time you wash and the oil built-up a residue. It depends on what is in your shampoo as to how that residue will leave your hair feeling.

Taenarian
January 25th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Thanks to LHC, I use coconut oil about three to four times a week below the neck about an hour before I have a wash. Then CO only. Very smooth and largely tangle-free.