PDA

View Full Version : When did you start to go gray?

Jessibear2854
January 24th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Just curious. I think my mom started going gray around 35 and that's not too far off for me. For those of you gorgeous grays, what age did you start turning gray (if you don't mind me asking)? How long did it take for the gray to take over?

moxamoll
January 24th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I got my first silver hairs when I was 17 and 10-ish years later I'm still not even at the half-way point.

spidermom
January 24th, 2012, 02:30 PM
My hair is pretty light in color, so I didn't notice until I was in my mid-40s. By then, I had a lot of silvery hairs, some white ones, too.

Mommyof4
January 24th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I'm not gray yet.. but my grandmother on my dad's side started going gray at 25-ish and was fully gray by 30. Her mom and sister were also fully silver-headed by 30.

ladonna
January 24th, 2012, 02:31 PM
My DH had ton's of gray hair when he was 23, now his hair is mostly gray at 34. I'm 29 and I have a few hair's that are making the transition, they are multi-colored hairs lol. I have friend is my age range that have virgin hair and a bunch of grays too. I've always wondered what the age range is too, but it's hard to figure out since it seems like most people dye thier hair. My kids have a couple gray's too, so who knows?

turtlelover
January 24th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I found some at 19, and at 36, I have some pretty substantial streaks, though they don't show up too well in photos.

mzBANGBANG
January 24th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I;m not gray but my boyfriend went gray at about 20. He's 30 now and I love his thick head of silver hair. Finally talked him into growing it out again, he has such a striking look. Definitely drew me to him.

Arctic
January 24th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I noticed my first whites few years ago, when I grew out henna. I am almost 35 now. I don't have many of them, though, they do not seem to multiply very fast. I like them a lot, and hope some day I'd have a head full of white hair, like my grandfather!

reishka
January 24th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I'm not fully grey (far from it, really), but my mother started going grey at 19, and I started at 20. I'm 25 now, and you can definitely tell that I'm already turning... Silvery threads everywhere!

MissHair
January 24th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I started having white hairs a year ago. Now I got about 6 of them. It started with one. :p Im not bothered by it at all. My friends have noticed and even plucked them off but I like them. :p

Snippety
January 24th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I got my first grey hairs in my mid-twenties. I've now got a good percentage in large streaks. I love it :p It does look do on the very rare occasions I've tried to put my hair up in a bun because the bottom is a completely different colour to the top.

Amazinggrace
January 24th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I started finding white hairs around 30. My hair doesn't go gray, it goes pure white, wiry, and curly. The white hairs are a lot stonger than my regular hair. I am about 35%-45% white.

Apriori
January 24th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I haven't greyed yet but my mom have just started finding grey hairs and she is 40.

BrightEyes
January 24th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I found my first grey hair a few months ago and I am 31. So far I've only seen a few. My mom started going gray when she was in her early 30s too.

Madora
January 24th, 2012, 03:38 PM
My sparklies started appearing about 15 yrs. ago.

Maktub
January 24th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I started around 25 I think. Now 29, and I have a few here and there, not very much though.

Woods Nymph
January 24th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I've found some greys since I was 16, but only about 5 or 7. I have no idea if they're still there or not! My mom, though, was pretty much completely grey by about 30. (And she had the cool grey streak in the front at first--and it was natural!!! Jealous. :D)

Bethmc
January 24th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I started seeing a few gray hairs in my 20's and now (I'm 39), I have several mostly in the temple area and in the front of my hair. I was coloring (chemical), but I've recently decided to go natural! My parents both went gray fairly early. I can't seem to remember them with dark hair lol. I guess I'm not too far behind 😊

Georgies
January 24th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I found my first greys in my 20's but I'm in my late 30's and am still less than 5% grey, mostly temples. My mom is almost 70 and still only has grey at her temples. There's definitely a lot of variation! I have friends my age who are mostly grey.

Wouldnt you know it? I actually like grey quite a bit but probably won't have much of it...isn't that always the way it goes?

Falcore
January 24th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I got a few pure white hairs about 3 years ago. I'm 30 now. I used to pluck them but now they don't bother me. I can't wait till it ALL goes white!

teela1978
January 24th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I found my first one at 15. I'm grayer now than I was then, but it hasn't quite taken over yet.

jeanniet
January 24th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I got my first gray hair when I was 26. I'm 53 now, and still nowhere near salt and pepper--I have gray around my temples and scattered through my hair, but it's still mostly dark. I think it may be mostly white by the time I'm about 70. :D

MandyBeth
January 24th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Erm, 14 or so, when I started my permanent dye love. 30 now, there is 10% maybe, but very scattered. If they'd line up in a nice Lily Munster streak, I'd love them more.

patienceneeded
January 24th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I started noticing silver hairs around age 25, but they didn't start becoming noticeable to others until I was about 30. Most of my silvers are clustered around my hairline. DH recently started finding white hairs (his Dad's hair is totally white) in his beard and head hair. I'm 34, he's 35. On a side note, one of my brothers started going gray in high-school and at age 19 was totally gray. He is 32. The other brother has no gray hair yet at all, age 30. Genetics are odd...

Gingerbear
January 24th, 2012, 06:32 PM
I noticed my first grey hair in college--I used to pluck it back then. Now 15+ years later, I am probably 5-10% grey. My father way fully grey by 30 (and bald by 40!). My mother, who is about 70, claims to have "no grey hairs yet". Ahem....okay, Mom.

amantha
January 24th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I found my first grey hair when I was 21. I'm 24 now and have somewhere between 10-15 (I can't keep track of what I plucked versus new ones). Most of them are around my temples and widows peak, although I found about 5 much further back on the very top of my head. I'm hoping to avoid dying my hair for a few more years hopefully. I'm just not ready to go grey yet.

dwell_in_safety
January 24th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I am 21 and have never noticed any on myself. My mother found her first around age 40. She's 49 now and really only has one large streak of gray, with a few more framing her face. My father is currently 45, and I just noticed a few grays on his head when I was at their house for Christmas.

kidari
January 24th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I started getting a couple in high school, maybe 15-16 years old. In my 20s I didn't notice too much because I went through a phase of having blonde hair achieved through tons of highlights over a lighter base color. Ever since I went dark, I really notice them now (I'm in my late 20s). I have no idea really how long I've had all these greys but I have over 20% salt and pepper in my hairline and the crown area of my head only. Some are white, some are silver and metallic looking. This is the main reason why I dye my hair black since that covers grey the most effectively.

tarn
January 24th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I found my first grey about 12 months ago - aged 32.

FrenchTwist
January 24th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I just turned 55 and have very little gray hair. My mother had a noticeable gray streak in her early 30's and was entirely silver by 50 years old. I would love to have more gray hair. I am stopping the hair coloring again - just to see how much gray has arrived since two years ago.

auroraclio
January 24th, 2012, 07:54 PM
I started finding them @ 24, but I only have a few sparse ones at my temples. My Mom is 50 and is 75% grey

lw8666
January 24th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I had a few grays when I was a young girl. They would come and go.

I am 25 now and I have a little bundle of about 20-30 gray hairs on the opposite side of my side part. So it doesn't show unless I part it on the opposite side.

My dad was fully gray by age 40 so I guess I'll was inherited that gene.

owlathena
January 24th, 2012, 08:13 PM
I found three of them a year or so ago, but then I started hennaing and haven't noticed any more.

Yame
January 24th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I'm 25. I noticed my first gray when I was 22.

CurlyCap
January 24th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I noticed my first grey hairs when I was 22, but they were mostly due to stress. Around 26, I had random ones that would grow in, but it was always one at a time. This year (28 ), I have a patch on the right side of my head that seems to be here to stay.

It's about right. I remember my dad going grey when I was around 7 or 8, which would have made him...28 or 29. Lovely, lovely genetics.

omnivore
January 24th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I found my first sparklie the year I turned 30. I would guess that there are around ten or so strands on my noggin that are sparklies.

Angel_099
January 24th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I noticed my first right before my wedding day...at 19! They kept coming after that...stressfull marriage (that ended in divorce), and two babies later I was probably 15% gray (22 yrs old). Now I am maybe 30% (after 2 more babies...) : /

Katleen
January 24th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I found the first ones in my twenties, I used to pull them out back then...
Now I'm 38 and they're showing up all over my scalp, white curly hard hairs :-(

My mom is 63 and completely gray, so I'm pretty sure where I'll end up...

Cjatje
January 24th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I haven't found any, but last night I've found one on my DH, who's 26, I'm 23 btw.
My greatgrandmother on my mothers side was 100% grey at 55 and so is my greatmother who's now 67.
On my father's side, my grandfather is totally silver sine his mid 50's

Amarante
January 25th, 2012, 12:55 AM
I'm 25, and I just found two sparklies a couple of days ago. :) (My first ones)

W2
January 25th, 2012, 01:13 AM
My hairdresser found the first couple of gray hair when I had just turned 14! For about 4-5 years I just pulled them out, but by the time where I was 19 there were to many and I started coloring. Now I'm 40 and stopped colouring 8 months ago and are surprised of the many natural colors I show - my top is salt and pepper, but my neck is rather dark - no grays.

Qadupae
January 25th, 2012, 02:06 AM
This year ^_^ I just found my first white hair this January and I am so excited! I love white hairs!

pepperminttea
January 25th, 2012, 02:17 AM
I found my first one in my late teens (17 I think?), but at 24 they're still not noticeable at all yet. I'm hoping for a Rogue streak! :D

B-L
January 25th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Well.. after my first child I started to notice some gray hairs (I was only 26) and it didn't stop there.. now there are so many :( and not even henndigo or chemical dye can cover them all!

hellucy
January 25th, 2012, 02:56 AM
I found my 1st grey hair on my 30th birthday! Happy Birthday Me! I pulled it out & haven't had any since then (nearly 3 years). Luck for me my mum didnt start going grey til mid 40's.
However my sister in-law is the same age as me & is mostly grey (she dyes it religiously as she hates her greys, my DH went grey at 19 and couldn't care less.

Mesmerise
January 25th, 2012, 03:29 AM
I remember finding a couple at 21, but I don't really remember having any for a few years after that (I did dye my hair though, so I guess I covered up any, and they evidently weren't obvious in the regrowth).

I seem to think mid to late 20s is when I really noticed silveries starting at the sides. In recent years it's becoming much worse! I'm not sure what % grey I am, as some patches seem much greyer than others. I'd have to say probably 20% (or every 1 in 5 hairs).

I am about to start a regimen to see if I can remove them though, cause I really don't like them yet ;). Give me another twenty years please!!

bunzfan
January 25th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Found my first at 23 just after my first baby :eek:

stinamoo
January 25th, 2012, 04:13 AM
I have one at 25, my mum's only just starting to find them at 50+.

Skruttiz
January 25th, 2012, 04:14 AM
I think I was 25 when I saw the first white hairs.

Donīt know how much white/gray I have now because I still dye my hair.

jackie75
January 25th, 2012, 04:14 AM
I started getting whites around 19. By the time I was 23, it was pretty noticeable, and that's when I started using box dyes.

It's hard to tell just how much I have now. Last year when I cut my hair into a pixie, it was all natural, but it was super ashy mixed with silvers...it made me look at least 20 years older.

I haven't touched a boxed dye in two years and been sticking to vegetable dyes....makes the silver look like bright highlights! :D

Taenarian
January 25th, 2012, 04:15 AM
My stylist pointed out my first gray hairs when I was about 40 (thank you, Cheryl : cough cough :: ). While the blonde hairs still far outnumber the gray hairs, my friends have urged me to do highlights to hide the gray. I declined their advice, in part because I don't want to be back for retouches every six weeks. I'm happy with a touch of gray. I earned it.

Libbylou
January 25th, 2012, 06:53 AM
May be about 10 years ago one or two. I'm 56 now and can see a few poking out from the henna mix.

vintage88
January 25th, 2012, 07:26 AM
I was 20. I notice more all the time, i'm interested to see how gray I will be when im 30!:)

PixxieStix
January 25th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I have had some grey hairs since I was born, and when I was about 6-7ish my mom found one white hair that grows at the nape of my neck. The number of these hairs hasn't increased over time, but I guess I've always had some. My mom dyes her hair, but I remember her complaining of greys in her late 20's, early 30's, but my grandma on my mom's side, she does not dye her hair and she's just about 70 with dark, dark brown virgin hair with the most gorgeous sparklies in her hair, I'm talking just individual strands scattered around like tinsel in her hair. I think my great-grandma was completely white somewhere in her 60's though, so I guess we'll see!

XcaliburGirl
January 25th, 2012, 07:42 AM
I noticed the first white hair at 25 and accidentally pulled it out while showing my husband. Now I'm 27 and have two. So if I keep going at a rate of one per year, I'll have 16 white hairs by age 40, right? Somehow I don't think it works that way. :hmm:

CashmereHair
January 25th, 2012, 07:50 AM
I found the first white hair when I was 19 years old. Now (24 year old) I have around 6-8 on the entire head. For a half years ago I found a white hair in my eyebrows. I'm a little afraid I will be white hair at an early age.

Pidge
January 25th, 2012, 08:31 AM
I started noticing my first grays coming in at the crown when I was 19. Now that I'm in my 30s, that area has become a 3" wide mallen streak, but I am only just starting to notice the rare hair popping up here and there in other spots.
I dye with semi-permanents, so they turn really nicely into highlights of whatever color I use, and since I let the dye completely fade out before covering, every month or two, I get to take stock of the whitening process.

imaroo
January 25th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Pidge, I love the gray/silver streak in dark hair. It looks beautiful!

No such luck for me. My hair is kind of a light to medium brown with about five wiry white hairs that grow in various locations on my head. I'm nearly 40, so I guess that's not too bad, but it seems like my hair is just going to look faded as they grow in more and won't turn a pretty silver color. I don't want to color my hair, so for now I pluck those puppies out when they show up.

xoerincolleen
January 25th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Mine started when I was probably 16. I'm 20 now and have a small streak on my temple and recently found 2 long white hairs at the back of my head. :(

carolyncasl
January 25th, 2012, 11:34 AM
I found my first white hair when I was 15. I started dying it red at 17 using chemical dyes. However, I am allergic to the chemical dyes, so I would have a 2" white stripe of roots before dying again. I tried bleaching it blonde for about 5 years, but now I am using henna, and I couldn't be happier. Since I am not allergic to henna, I can keep on top of the root upkeep. It is getting somewhat tiresome to have to do it so often, but I can live with it for now. But from what I can tell from the year where I didn't dye it, the top is silvery and somewhat ashy-looking, but underneath by my neck is still dark brown.

My dad got his first hair at 17 and was salt-n-pepper in his 20's and completely white in his 30's.

My mom also reports that her father went gray early, too, so I got a double whammy of genes. However, my older sister and younger brother dodged the premature gray bullet.

TiffanieJean
January 25th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I found my 1st white hair when I was 20... I have a couple all in the same small spot now. It's weird because they arn't fine like the rest of my hair, so they are fairly easy to find lol

Sushi144
January 25th, 2012, 02:25 PM
My mother found her first white hair the day of her 40th birthday ! On her side, people turn grey very late : my uncle had almost no white hair until 65 and my 82 yo grandma is still not totally white.
However on my father side... My dad turned gray around 40, so did my paternal grandma. My sister took from them : she already had white hairs at 12 ! But as she as many many hairs, they're quite hidden.

For me, didn't find any yet ! \o/

Shesta
January 25th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I got my first one at 23 maybe. Three years later just a couple more.

laurarvt
January 25th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I noticed my 1st few last year, so 31. Got my 1st grey eyebrow hair the other day. Yay. =)

lunalocks
January 25th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Found my first sliver hair at 37. I am 55 now, and have silver at the temples, but very few hairs that have made it past my ears. The women in my family go gray slowly. My mother, who is 94, still isn't totally white.

slz
January 25th, 2012, 04:29 PM
First gray around 15 or so. From then on it went pretty fast, at 40 I'd be naturally mostly white if I'd leave my hair to its own devices. See my avatar, or in my albums : the green part is the white hair.

Silver Swan
January 25th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Well, at some point before I was 7 I had a mole in my hair above my left ear, then it disappeared an in its place grew silver hair. So I have had a lovely silver streak since very young. It is quite discrete though as it is not noticeable when my hair is down. All through my 20's while my hair was coloured I made sure never to dye the streak. (As an explaination to this phenomena, there is some vitaligo in my family, so it is likely I have unstable menalin/pigmentation)

I think I had a few silver hairs at 30, I had my baby at 34, and have noticed quite a few more scattered through my crown since then (but not on the hairline?). I might have 40 or 50 in total, not including my streak.

I have always thought I would go grey "gracefully" (i.e. naturally) but I was starting to wonder whether I would start dying again soon when I came across this forum and the Renegray Gang. I'm going to have to ask to join them soon :)

AMW
January 25th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I started finding gray hair right around 25 and I thought my hair would be mostly gray by now ... I'm 33, but no ... I just have a few anoying gray hairs that forces me to touch up my roots every month =( I wouldn't mind going totally gray but I might have to wait another decade for that.

Eden75
January 27th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Found the first one at 16, started colouring shortly after that. Stopped colouring about 6-8 months ago and have discovered I'm about a quarter grey. It's taken about 20 years, so I am going slower than most of the women in my family but it is coming. Oh well, grey means wisdom (at least that's what I'm telling myself). :rolleyes:

cheetahfast
January 28th, 2012, 07:51 AM
I haven't found any yet. My parents went grey-white in their 40s.

I can't wait to go white!!!
When my dad did his hair went straight, the same thing happened with my grandmother's hair too.

I've always wanted straight hair :p

Sissilonghair
January 28th, 2012, 08:39 AM
I noticed some gray in my hair when I was 24,too bed I did not know what henna was at that age....

beachgirlla
January 28th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I've started seeing some white hair when I was 28 and at 29 my temples hair started getting some gray, not obvious though, but when I fell off my bike and hit my head (last year) and had to get a surgery to fix the skin cut behind one of my ear (they had to shave some hair there :(), I've started getting many gray hair !!, I'm 31 now and I have like 10% gray, I love it as it gave me some nice highlights when I hennaed it :D

sparrowswing
May 4th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I haven't really been paying attention, but at 26 I have one gray hair, probably about six inxhes long, sticking straight up from my center part right at the front of my hairline. I'm sure there are others that have been there longer than the few months this one's been taunting me, but I'm not sure where they are. I just notice a little silvery glint every now an then.

My hair genetics are kind of a grab-bag. I have a couple of cousins who were completely gray by 22, my dad has never had a gray hair in his life, and my mom is still at like 30% gray at 50. So who knows? I could go decades with just a few dozen grays, or it could all tun snow white within the next year. I'm not overly worried about it either way.

BeckyAH
May 4th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I had some fray that only I noticed about 22. At almost 35, I have enough up front to be pretty obvious, and am rapidly getting more.

Ephemeral
May 4th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I started getting a streak of silver in my bangs when I was 19....

earthnut
May 4th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I got my first gray hair at 15 and 20 years later my head is still mostly black. I have about the same amount of gray as my 60yo mom so I may always be salt and pepper. That's ok. Any color of hair is beautiful as long as it's healthy and well moisturized. :D

lapushka
May 4th, 2012, 03:10 PM
In my twenties I had maybe 1 or 2 white strands. Now in my late thirties they're sprinkled all over my head, one here, one there. No real streaks yet.

Silverbrumby
May 4th, 2012, 03:12 PM
44 was when I saw my first one.

torrilin
May 4th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Haven't found one yet.

My dad was an OBVIOUS salt and pepper by my age, with salt dominating. I can't remember him ever having anything but mostly grey hair. His best friend (who was actually much older) would tease him about it sometimes, since Dad often looked older and distinguished and his friend had the same red hair he always had. At this point, most people think my dad's hair is not grey or white but platinum blonde. It's really lovely, and I'd love to have hair that pretty.

My mom did not start showing grey hair until she was in her mid 50s. She and dad have the same base color (dark ash brown), but her hair is just not inclined to go grey really. 5 years later, and mostly her greys look like her hair is naturally doing the showy highlights that my sister, brother and I have in our blondish/brownish/reddish hair.

Given the genetics... I'm figuring I won't start seeing greys any time soon. SADNESS! WOE! ANGST!

Charybdis
May 4th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I found my first white hair at 21, and I still have only a sprinkling 17 years later (and I seem to be the only one who notices them -- when I joke to my friends about my white hairs, they're all, "What white hair?"). It doesn't seem like how young you are when your first white hair shows up is a reliable predictor of how quickly you'll go grey.

maradeerfarmer
May 5th, 2012, 06:55 AM
I started to get single white hairs when I was about 15, but didn't start getting obvious streaks at the temples until about 24 or 25. I am a dark blonde. Nobody seems to notice though unless I point it out though! Not that i mind... at 27 I amby far the youngest in my department and a lot of the students I teach are older than me, so a little grey probably makes me look a little more authoritative!

Neither parents started to grey unil their mid thirties.

Firefly
May 5th, 2012, 07:38 AM
I'll be 44 this year, and have exactly two. LOL They're on my right temple above my ear. It's strange though because my sister started graying in college... not sure what sort of weird genetics are going on here!

Bedhead
May 5th, 2012, 07:51 AM
I have always had at least one or two, literally, since I was a teenager. A couple years ago (36) I notice there were six, and now at 39, I might have about eight. It's a sow process for me, I guess.

summergreen
May 6th, 2012, 05:47 PM
I got my first 2 or 3 grays when I was 30, and didn't get too many more for the next 10 years or so. Now I have about 50 percent on the front half of the canopy, only a couple on the underneath, and (according to my friend) none at the back (she was trying to cheer me up by telling me this! None at the back, great, shall I just walk around backwards then??!) My hairline and temples are pretty much all white now but my growth pattern hides it most of the time, so people get a shock when they see me on a windy day!

thirstylocks
May 6th, 2012, 07:34 PM
I always had 2 bright white hairs on my head, but this semester I've spotted 3-4 more on my crown and I'm 20 :(

amanda_the_tall
May 6th, 2012, 07:49 PM
i found 7 baby silver hairs when i was 15.

dulce
May 6th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I started mid 30's but now at 60 am still not completely gray.

humble_knight
May 6th, 2012, 08:31 PM
I'm 35 and I noticed more whites in my beard than on top of my head. I'm looking forward to dyeing them with henna so that I'll rock an orange-black look :face:

Mesmerise
May 6th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I remember finding a couple of gray hairs at 21... but didn't really notice much graying for a few years after that, when I started to see graying at the temples (in my regrowth). I have pretty much constantly coloured my hair since then, so it's actually hard to say what % of my hair is gray or not (I'm sure it's clustered more in some areas than others... ).

To be honest, I'm pretty much embarrassed by my grays as people comment when they start to show :rolleyes:. I get comments such as "you need to dye your hair again!" or "you're going GRAY!!" or "You're too young to go gray!!" and I think, Yup, it's time to henna again!!

I kinda wish I could embrace it... but I can't. The hairs at the temples are a nice silvery colour too... but meh... I like looking young, it's kinda my "thing"!!

carolinaberry
May 6th, 2012, 09:21 PM
I noticed 1 when I was 26 or so...now I'm 33 and I have seen around 3, so there are probably 10 or less all over (I can't see each hair obviously). My DH is 31 and is quickly going white, and that started when he was 28 or so...my 7 year old daughter has a white hair in the very front of her hair. We've looked at it from all angles ans in all lights...it's white, not blond. haha. I dye my hair and the silver/white hairs are the ones I use to see if I have new growth since the dye.

Rini
May 6th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I got my first silvers at 16, same with my Mum. She was completely white by the time she was in her 30s. Looks absolutely gorgeous :inlove: My Dad however hardly has any silvers and he's in his mid 60s.

Right now (I'm 39) I'm about 95% silver in the front half of my head and the back is about 50%. When my hair is up in a bun it looks pretty much all silver now. I'm VERY happy with it :D

Shaun
May 12th, 2012, 11:39 AM
It started for me in my early 20's. During my teen years, I grew out my hair and it was sun bleached so I can't say if I had any back then because they blended in well. But I knew I had those white or almost translucent hairs once I started growing out my buzz cut as my hair starts from a med/light brown and they are a very sharp contrast.

I'm hoping for a repeat of my teen years where my hair progress lighter so they blend better...

HappyHair87
May 12th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Funny i came here to share this news in the Kinky 4's thread and i see this thread:laugh:

I found my first gray hair yesterday...and i am 25. The whole experience just amuses me! Lol

Beckstar
May 12th, 2012, 03:06 PM
21 years old when I started to get a lot of grey.

Wildcat Diva
May 12th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I have maybe 6 or 7 gray hairs now and I am 42 today!

Dragon Faery
May 12th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I was in my late teens when my grandma found one at the back of my head, hidden in my hair.
I found the first visible one when I was 20, right on top of my head. It may have Had something to do with the fact that I was trying to learn Latin and Ancient Greek at the same time...don't do that. ;)
Now I'm slowly getting a cluster on the top of my head, which will hopefully make a decent Rogue streak in a few years. (I'm 29.) And I'm seeing a few around my hairline above my ears. Oddly, not many people have commented about them, but I'm sure that will change in a few years. :)

I'm hoping to eventually be all silver-white, like my grandma. She went silver very early.

ScarlettAdelle
May 12th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Found my first when I was 12, but it was about 6" long, and I had already coloured my hair, so.... it's possible around 8 or earlier was when the first ones started to go.

catamonica
May 14th, 2012, 03:58 AM
In 2000 age 44. The dye is coming out. If its to dark, I am going to spray it with white vinegar.
It lightens hair, and makes it silver.

Johanna
May 14th, 2012, 04:10 AM
I was 17 when I found my first sparklie hair. I used to dye them and pull them out but now I've completly embraced it. I'm not going to dye my hair for quite a while now. I'm planning on being a silver haired old lady with long hair that maybe scared the small children lol.

longNred
May 14th, 2012, 05:02 AM
Early 30s for me, I pulled a few out, which promptly grew back and stuck straight up. I then bought some box dye, but couldn't bring myself to do it. Returned that, and decided on henna, which covers and blends them beautifully.

Falcore
May 14th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Early 20's for me. I think 23 to be exact and I'm going white. All the hairs are white just like my mum :)

They used to bug me but now I don't mind them at all

FireFromWithin
May 14th, 2012, 06:36 AM
My mum has had a grey streak since she was 20, right at the front. But my dad is only starting to go white and since I'm blonde like my dad rather than my mum's dark brown, I hoping that it will be a while before it starts for me. But also hopefully my hair will go white instead of grey and it will just look like my hair is getting more white blonde. Has anyone else experienced going white from blonde, does it actually work like this or am I kidding myself? Oh well, not dyeing it again ever whatever colour it turns.

terylenerose
May 14th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I found my first whites at 10 or 11 but haven't been able to find them since I dyed my hair. Not that they're actually part of going gray, I'm too young for that just now.
(Why am I posting in here?)

Lachrymosa
May 14th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I started greying in my teens. It didn't take off too fast but in the last 7 years or so it's really picked up the pace! I'm soon to be 36 and have quite alot of grey at my temples, on top of my head, at the nape and it's only sprinkled throughout the rest of my hair. My left temple in particular has a large grey streak, which I always thought would look cool, but the randomness of the rest of my grey kind of kills whatever cool factor is could have had! Oh, and my grey isn't so much grey or silvery, it's actually quite white, which I do like. I've attempted to grow my grey out, mostly at the behest of my husband who LOVES grey hair, but when it got to about 6 inches I just couldn't take it anymore. I'm not ready for it yet! So I'm going to be experimenting with henndigo in the next several months.

shutterpillar
May 14th, 2012, 09:44 AM
I got my first ones (that I could see) a couple years ago around 23 years old. Now I am almost 26 and I have at least 20-40 of them on my head. I am hoping I can age gracefully without succumbing to the pressure to dye them. It seems like no one ages naturally anymore. And that is fine if that is what you like, but I personally enjoy seeing those white and silver hairs. I think they are beautiful and unique.

dawnrader
May 14th, 2012, 09:45 AM
The week before my 30th birthday i found a few... i'm 34 now and i've got some the length of my hair!! (waist) so they must have been there for a while... now looking into henna!

Medievalmaniac
May 14th, 2012, 09:56 AM
I started seeing stray greys here and there around 31-32 or so; now it's growing in shot through with grey post-chemo. It's OK, though... I know where to score the henna when it's time! :eyebrows:

Celtic Morla
May 14th, 2012, 10:38 AM
13 ad my sister pulled it out to prove it to me(as well as about a dime sized sectio of otherhair) I started dyeing my hair before I got married at 20 and stopped dyeing it about 7 years ago. Now it is pretty grey at the top but looks blond ont he ends.

cuties
May 14th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I think around 27, but they were a few hidden ones here and there and I started coloring/putting henna only after 30.

TiffanieJean
May 14th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I found my first gray hair at 19... They are in the section of hair behind my left ear and are more white than gray, but easy to find because they are M instead of F like the rest of my hair. Oh, and they are white...lol

MAO
May 14th, 2012, 10:56 AM
I found my first gray hair when I was 26. Eight years later, I think I have maybe 10? Hard to say, because my hair is pretty fine so they aren't that noticeable except for the 3 that have sprouted at my hairline!

GlennaGirl
May 14th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I'm almost 45, and I found my first two or three gray hairs about three years ago, but after that, I didn't see any at all until recently, when I found one or two. They don't stand out very much in my hair.

cnd0020
May 14th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I had a friend who started getting silver strands at age 22. It looks AMAZING on her. (Face blurred to protect the innocent. Picture used with permission.)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/stini01/198803_549237498061_157000269_31318844_7571890_n-1.jpg

Rennire
May 14th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I found my first silver at 22 and the silver is just starting to become noticable now at 26.

I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.