PDA

View Full Version : Will this work to fade colour?

Amber_Maiden
January 24th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Found this on a website:

"Step 6
Rinse your hair with plain vinegar as a last resort if your hair color is still too strong. Vinegar is acidic and can help strip dye from your colored hair if used correctly. Apply enough vinegar to thoroughly soak your hair, and allow to sit for two or three minutes; then, rinse with liberal amounts of warm water. Repeat this process as necessary to achieve the proper tone.

Step 7
Coat your hair with a hot-oil treatment once you have reached the desired amount of fading in your hair. The hot oil will penetrate the scalp and hair strands to restore shine and softness to your perfectly faded hair color."[/I]
(http://www.modernmom.com/article/how-to-fade-hair-color-quickly)

I'm wondering if the vinegar would actually help fade dye and indigo and too dark henna (I have layers of the stuff... :( ).
Currently I'm doing honey masks weekly, but I'd like to do something else to help encourage my colour to fade faster. Anyone have any luck with the above, or have other natural suggestions (or any advice/experience with doing this naturally?)? I don't want to use Colour Oops, Sun-In, etc...

Thank you in advance! :)

moxamoll
January 24th, 2012, 10:03 AM
It might work, but I suspect that it would be very drying by the time you got any colour lift. Given that you're concerned with dryness anyway, it might not be your best choice! Haven't tried it myself though, so hopefully others will chime in.

Amber_Maiden
January 24th, 2012, 10:05 AM
It might work, but I suspect that it would be very drying by the time you got any colour lift. Given that you're concerned with dryness anyway, it might not be your best choice! Haven't tried it myself though, so hopefully others will chime in.

I guess your talking about the vinegar? I've never seemed to have a problem with it... I put it directly, undiluted, on my scalp every time I wash my hair (instead of shampooing). I find it helps a lot with flakes/dryness. :) I'm just wondering if it would actually fade colour if I left it on longer than a few seconds! :p

dementedkitten
January 24th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I dyed my hair back to brown not long ago, from an intense bright red - I haven't worked out quite what I've been doing but my natural brown is coming through nicely in some parts.. (the dye is obviously fading) but it's still really dark/layered in other parts, like the ends.. I haven't tried vinegar (yet) but I have been using tonnes of coconut oil.. and showering in hot water rather than cold/luke warm (I had to use cold water to maintain my red). Hot oil is a good option as, from experience, it does fade dye.. Anyway, I'm definitely interested in the replies to this thread :)

spidermom
January 24th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Why not give it a try? I've used straight vinegar (which is already diluted to 3% in the bottle) to help remove lice nits, and I didn't notice any unacceptable level of drying out my hair.

I've heard more than a few times that warm oil treatments help to pull dye, so win-win. Good luck!

Amber_Maiden
January 24th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Why not give it a try? I've used straight vinegar (which is already diluted to 3% in the bottle) to help remove lice nits, and I didn't notice any unacceptable level of drying out my hair.

I've heard more than a few times that warm oil treatments help to pull dye, so win-win. Good luck!

Thanks spidermom! Will definitely give it a go!

Celtic Morla
January 24th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Well Vinegar is used to set colour n clothing and I have used it to set Manic Panic if ti seems to be bleeding so I don't know if it will help with hair or not to remove colour?!

ladonna
January 24th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I ran out of s/c and so did baking soda and white vinegar for awhile, my hair was boxed dyed too dark and after the no-poo my hair dye had lightened to my natural color and I had no demarcation line. I don't know if it work's on henna/indigo.

Arctic
January 24th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I have a feeling vinegar will only tighten the cuticle, thus keeping the colour particles inside the hair shaft, but I don't know for sure.

I remember seeing a diagram once about how different hair colour types (temporary, semipermanent, permanent, etc) attach themselves on/in the hairshaft. Maybe the vinegar would help fading the type of colour that stays on the shaft, not really penetrating?

Oh, I found the diagram! CLICK HERE! (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GkQ08Dsvo30/Siwwz0OgndI/AAAAAAAAAOo/Yb2Xmsu7UIM/s400/DYE.png)

Amber_Maiden
January 24th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I have a feeling vinegar will only tighten the cuticle, thus keeping the colour particles inside the hair shaft, but I don't know for sure.

I remember seeing a diagram once about how different hair colour types (temporary, semipermanent, permanent, etc) attach themselves on/in the hairshaft. Maybe the vinegar would help fading the type of colour that stays on the shaft, not really penetrating?

Oh, I found the diagram! CLICK HERE! (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GkQ08Dsvo30/Siwwz0OgndI/AAAAAAAAAOo/Yb2Xmsu7UIM/s400/DYE.png)

Thank you Arctic!!! That's an awesome diagram!
Since mine is natural dye, indigo, and henna, I guess it's only on the cuticle.... So that's good right?!

PixieKitten
January 24th, 2012, 03:49 PM
I've heard putting lemon juice on your hair then sitting out in the sun lightens it, if that's any help?

Amber_Maiden
January 24th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I've heard putting lemon juice on your hair then sitting out in the sun lightens it, if that's any help?

A little too cold where I live for that (until the summer). Also I read that lemon is rather damaging, and I want to avoid any damage.
Thank you though!

xoxophelia
January 24th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I have some suggestions that worked for me but they are not natural (they are fairly gentle though)
-swimming to exercise. The chlorine fades hair colors. This was more effective than anything I tried to be honest.
-I mixed up honey, EVOO, and added about 1 tsp or less of Go Blonder and then put it on the dyed hair when I was trying to get it to fade from black to brown. I didn't apply any heat and didn't notice any damage or huge change. It was gradual.
-Rinse your hair in warm water and then shampoo all of it. Leave the shampoo on for 5 minutes with gentle massaging every now and then.

I did those things, honey/EVOO, EVOO only and was able to get black box dye very slowly to the color in my siggy (below my shoulders). You might not want to try any of those things but it worked for me without having to resort to a color stripper or color correcting.

PixieKitten
January 24th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Fair enough. I did it a couple of times in a row last summer because I was trying to get as much of my bright red hair dye out so I could dye it closer to my natural brown. Thinking about it I think all it did was dry my hair out!

terylenerose
January 25th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I have a little henna stuck in my hair still and I would like to try this. Would it work if I just used the vinegar? Can I do that? And also, if it dries out the hair, can't you just condition it?

Amber_Maiden
January 25th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I have a little henna stuck in my hair still and I would like to try this. Would it work if I just used the vinegar? Can I do that? And also, if it dries out the hair, can't you just condition it?

I use undiluted vinegar on my scalp and have never had dry hair on my scalp. I really think it's fine. Let me know how it goes!

terylenerose
January 26th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I did the vinegar last night. I put it on wet hair that had just been CO'ed. I don't know if that was the right way to do it, but I got the henna to fade a tiny bit. :) The red shine isn't as obvious now. But this morning I looked in the mirror and managed to pick out a half inch of hair at the top that had obviously never been touched with henna. It's exactly one month to the day today. So the henna is definitely still there, but it's not as obvious. I hope this wasn't too discouraging. I didn't do the hot oil, so that may have affected the results. I'd love to try hot oil, but I'm worried about being able to wash it out. Maybe if I shampooed and then put the vinegar on?
Let me know how it goes for you as well! :)

Amber_Maiden
January 26th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I did the vinegar last night. I put it on wet hair that had just been CO'ed. I don't know if that was the right way to do it, but I got the henna to fade a tiny bit. :) The red shine isn't as obvious now. But this morning I looked in the mirror and managed to pick out a half inch of hair at the top that had obviously never been touched with henna. It's exactly one month to the day today. So the henna is definitely still there, but it's not as obvious. I hope this wasn't too discouraging. I didn't do the hot oil, so that may have affected the results. I'd love to try hot oil, but I'm worried about being able to wash it out. Maybe if I shampooed and then put the vinegar on?
Let me know how it goes for you as well! :)

I'm going to try the vinegar tonight! I'm going to put it on dry hair, and sleep with it in... undiluted... We'll see what happens!!!

chelsea89ms
October 4th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Hi Amber_Maiden, I know this thread hasn't been active in a long time but I was curious to see if you've had any luck fading the indigo. If your not too busy is :)

Georgii
October 9th, 2014, 09:29 AM
I faded my commercial red hair with baking soda and dishwashing liquid/vitamin c tablets on my hair. It worked very very well but it dried it out a LOT. Info on it should be searchable via Google

Georgii
October 9th, 2014, 09:31 AM
The vitamin C way is probably less damaging if the treatment you're thinking of doesn't work out http://m.wikihow.com/Lighten-Your-Hair-Dye-With-Vitamin-C

turtlelover
October 10th, 2014, 07:26 AM
I've faded haircolor a couple of levels with Vitamin C tablets crushed to a powder and mixed w/ cheap conditioner. I left in on for a couple of hours, and it did a pretty good job of lifting the color w/ no damage. I am not sure how this would work w/ henna/indigo -- I used it to lift demi-permanent dye.

chelsea89ms
October 13th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Ok thank you so much, I will definitely give the vitamin c a try!