PDA

View Full Version : new baby hairs or breakage?

yummie
January 23rd, 2012, 11:22 PM
Hi all! I've been going sulfate free for about 6 mths usually co wash everyday w. a silicone free co. I co oil my hair before I shampoo twice a wk. I've noticed new growth on my head but my hair has been feeling dry/rough and looking frizzier than ever. I'm wondering if this is from going sulfate/cone free, breakage, or just the new baby hairs sprouting that looks like breakage. Anyone experiencing this has advice?

Moor_tu_lyfe
January 24th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Hi Yummie, Welcome! Just wondering if you had any idea why your hair is rough/dry? Your routine looks very gentle- perhaps you need a protein treatment or something (my hair doesn't like protein, but lots do, and I have heard that some peoples hair can be overmoisturised!?!)

When I tried WO, all the scritching/preening/massaging had me growing in baby hairs like you wouldn't believe.:) Their were all in my virgin hair, so that concluded the breakage/new growth debate for me! Also, I sprouted alot almost similtaneously- so they were a new "layer" or hair growing in. Are they fairly uniform lengths all over? Can you ask someone to look closely and see if they look damaged/split?

furnival
January 24th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Hi all! I've been going sulfate free for about 6 mths usually co wash everyday w. a silicone free co. I co oil my hair before I shampoo twice a wk. I've noticed new growth on my head but my hair has been feeling dry/rough and looking frizzier than ever. I'm wondering if this is from going sulfate/cone free, breakage, or just the new baby hairs sprouting that looks like breakage. Anyone experiencing this has advice?

Strange that your hair is feeling dry and rough... What conditioner are you using for CO? Does it have protein in the ingredients? Protein overload can make hair feel dry and brittle.
I'd hazard a guess that the cause of the roughness is build-up of some kind, particularly as you wash daily. Try clarifying and see what results you get.
If you pluck one of the short hairs and examine it closely, you will be able to tell from the tip whether it's new growth (tapered end) or breakage (white dot/ broken end).
Hope that helps!

Mesmerise
January 24th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Odds are, they're new baby hairs. Unless you're damaging your hair a lot, most little hairs are healthy new growth.

As for your hair feeling rough and dry etc. it could be that it just doesn't respond well to your new washing regimen. Some hair seems to like CO with no silicone and other hair seems to prefer silicones!

yummie
January 24th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Hi Yummie, Welcome! Just wondering if you had any idea why your hair is rough/dry? Your routine looks very gentle- perhaps you need a protein treatment or something (my hair doesn't like protein, but lots do, and I have heard that some peoples hair can be overmoisturised!?!)

When I tried WO, all the scritching/preening/massaging had me growing in baby hairs like you wouldn't believe.:) Their were all in my virgin hair, so that concluded the breakage/new growth debate for me! Also, I sprouted alot almost similtaneously- so they were a new "layer" or hair growing in. Are they fairly uniform lengths all over? Can you ask someone to look closely and see if they look damaged/split?

Thanks for the reply! I am guessing my hair is rough and dry from going cone free because today I put on some cone argan oil and my hair was very slippery smooth but since i have fine thin hair cones just weigh it down and make it look thinner! I am looking closely at the shorter layers and the ends look tapered so I'm guessing that is new growth its just everywhere and possibly is why it looks frizzy.

yummie
January 24th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Strange that your hair is feeling dry and rough... What conditioner are you using for CO? Does it have protein in the ingredients? Protein overload can make hair feel dry and brittle.
I'd hazard a guess that the cause of the roughness is build-up of some kind, particularly as you wash daily. Try clarifying and see what results you get.
If you pluck one of the short hairs and examine it closely, you will be able to tell from the tip whether it's new growth (tapered end) or breakage (white dot/ broken end).
Hope that helps!

Thanks for the examining tip! I checked and the short hairs are tapered so It is new growth! I've been using alba botanics and loreal eversleek (better but not hg co) I don't use protein but I co oil and heard coco does have properties that mimics protein on hair perhaps. I'm thinking the roughness and frizzies are due to the new fine baby hairs sprouting everywhere plus no cones.

yummie
January 24th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Odds are, they're new baby hairs. Unless you're damaging your hair a lot, most little hairs are healthy new growth.

As for your hair feeling rough and dry etc. it could be that it just doesn't respond well to your new washing regimen. Some hair seems to like CO with no silicone and other hair seems to prefer silicones!

^^I believe you are correct on that!