PDA

View Full Version : Discouraged.

sun-kissed
January 23rd, 2012, 10:33 PM
I have been stretching out my washes since sometime late spring // early summer last year. I started out washing my hair daily, with it getting very oily by the end of each day. Since then I've managed to get to the point where I can go a week in between washing, and have been for the last few months. But it's no longer making any progress -- in fact, I think I'm regressing. For a while I could have four days of nice hair, before it started to get limp. But I just washed my hair on Friday, and by Sunday it was already starting to turn oily. Today it looked simply horrid, even with talcum powder in it as dry shampoo -- it was limp, disgusting, and smelly.

I CO wash[with an ACV rinse], and it does have cones in it. It also causes me to break out all over with a rash if it touches my skin. I'm allergic/sensitive to scents. :rolleyes:

I know what ya'll are probably going to say.. I need to clarify. But I do not own a specific clarifying shampoo, and do not know enough about then to know what to buy or even look for. I also don't want to accidentally buy something that'll cause me to break out. In the past I've used the Young Living Lavender shampoo, does anyone know if this counts as "clarifying"?

I'm also so tired of my journey. I want to wash my hair once a week, any other number is annoying to deal with because it will shift with the 7-day week. But I'm sick of having oily hair, why can't it just be pretty again? My DB is accidentally insensitive to the way I look sometimes, and whenever he comments on how my hair is always oily, it just eats me on the inside. I'm not one to wear makeup, or go with trends, or anything else, but I do want to be pretty. I don't want to be that girl with greasy hair. I'm a princess on the inside, but right now I don't feel like one on the outside. It's been almost a year since I started my transition, and it's beginning to get to me. :(

jlo8937
January 23rd, 2012, 10:36 PM
My hair gets oily by the end of the day also. I love the feeling of clean soft hair and when I do conditioner only washes my hair feels stingy and greasy. Not sure what to do different or just wait it out and see if it subsides.

Mommyof4
January 23rd, 2012, 10:37 PM
If you want to clarify, I used just blue Dawn soap, and felt an AMAZING difference in my hair :)

Since you have sensitive skin, have you tried clarifying with baking soda?

Mommyof4
January 23rd, 2012, 10:39 PM
Oh.. I forgot... what about diluted lemon juice on your hair, then rinse it right off?

javagrl
January 23rd, 2012, 10:44 PM
What about the CWC method? After you rinse your hair to prepare for shampooing, wring out excess water from hair before applying condish to ponytail only and then apply something liked unscented baby shampoo to roots, rinse, and then apply condish again. (Although if you have a problem with limpness, the second C might not be necessary)

Maybe that will give you body and lift without drying out from the ears down?:agree:

katsrevenge
January 23rd, 2012, 10:55 PM
I use VO5 Kiwi lime clarifying shampoo. No real smell and it does the trick for cones too. It's cheap and is found in most box stores.

And.. you may have more luck with CWC then CO. I do CO sometimes.. but I have to use shampoo fairly regularly or my scalp acts up/hair gets too limp.

inkd
January 23rd, 2012, 11:09 PM
Do you use a BBB? If not, I highly suggest giving it a try. It pulls the oil down to the ends of your hair and conditions them, leaving your scalp looking clean. I went straight from washing every other day to once, rarely twice , per week. The oil is a great conditioner - it moisturises your hair and helps prevent splits. And no more greasy scalp.

Rivanariko
January 23rd, 2012, 11:13 PM
I just use normal shampoo to clarify... but I do CWC rather than CO.

I also don't have a "schedule" for washing. When my hair starts to look stringy or greasy, I wash it. Usually it's about a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I don't worry about the number of days anymore.

The point is to be happy with your hair. If you're not happy with it, then change it, even if it's something that's not as "good" for it. If you're not enjoying it, then what's the point of being "good"? My growth rate has slowed over the last year and I know it's probably because I'm getting more mechanical damage due to being less careful while detangling and not wearing it up in a bun as often and in a braid more. But I was getting sick of taking care of it, so I adjusted my routine. Still better than it was pre-LHC and my hair is still healthy, but it's not quite as hair-friendly as it used to be. I'm so much happier not stressing about it!

Every girl, no matter how tough she is, deserves to feel like a princess. Wash your hair when you feel like it, not when you think you should.

Rivanariko
January 23rd, 2012, 11:15 PM
Do you use a BBB? If not, I highly suggest giving it a try. It pulls the oil down to the ends of your hair and conditions them, leaving your scalp looking clean. I went straight from washing every other day to once, rarely twice , per week. The oil is a great conditioner - it moisturises your hair and helps prevent splits. And no more greasy scalp.
I'd be careful with a BBB on fine hair... my hair was NOT a fan when I tried it and I've heard the same from other fineys. It caused a lot of breakage for me and didn't distribute the oils any better than finger combing did. YMMV though!

inkd
January 23rd, 2012, 11:17 PM
I'd be careful with a BBB on fine hair... my hair was NOT a fan when I tried it and I've heard the same from other fineys. It caused a lot of breakage for me and didn't distribute the oils any better than finger combing did. YMMV though!

Did you de-tangle with a comb before using it?

Rivanariko
January 23rd, 2012, 11:22 PM
Did you de-tangle with a comb before using it?Oh yes. It was completely tangle-free. My hair is super-fine and super-prone to splits. The BBB caught each of those little splits and ripped them apart...
I've become resigned to the splits, it's just a way of life for me, but I don't need to make them worse!

A lot of people do find the BBB very effective though, so it's worth a try. I just don't want people to feel more discouraged if it doesn't have the magic affect that it tends to have on coarser hair...

inkd
January 23rd, 2012, 11:50 PM
I didn't know that it was different for fine hair, I guess because mine is slightly course...and my BBB is my BFF! :grin:

Roscata
January 24th, 2012, 12:24 AM
You could mix up a tea spoon of baking soda with a bit of water and then mix that with the washing conditioner you are going to use (only the specific amount you will use), then wash as you normally would. This will minimize any dryness and it works really well. I've done it and it worked great. Good luck! :)

Teresa9000
January 24th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Do you sleep with your hair contained, like in a braid or sleeping cap? When I sleep with my hair in a rope braid, it tends to last longer in between washings.

sfgirl
January 24th, 2012, 01:47 AM
My friends had the problems with breakouts. She started using all natural shampoos and conditioners, and it worked out well for her.

BlazingHeart
January 24th, 2012, 03:05 AM
If you need to clarify, I'd recommend Neutrogena's anti-residue. As I recall (it's been a while since I used it), it's very low perfume and no dyes, so it's pretty low on irritants.

If stretching your washes that far isn't working for you, I'd stop stretching them that much, personally. I know that some people experience less breakage if they wash less often, but frankly if you're not enjoying your hair, what's the point?

~Blaze

Mannaz
January 24th, 2012, 03:51 AM
You've gotten some really good advice! One thing caught my attention, the fact that you CO with coney conditioner? The cones might be contributing to the breakouts and how long the hair stays clean. Maybe try a different condish, one with no cones?

I agree with a few others, there's no point in being "good" to your hair if its making you unhappy with your hair or your appearance in general :flower:

shikara
January 24th, 2012, 04:03 AM
Yes you have gotten alot of good advice here! I second trying cone free, washing when it feels like it needs it, and like Rivanariko said do what you can to enjoy the journey. You know, on this site, for everyone who says dont use a brush, there are those who swear by theirs, for each cone user there is a non cone user etc etc. I was stretching my washes and felt like I was doing the 'right' thing because the reasons all sounded so good, but when I went to try every two days again, my hair is so much more lovely and manageable! Oh, I also second trying cwc. I hope you solve the problems you are having very quickly!

Mesmerise
January 24th, 2012, 04:23 AM
I think some hair probably responds better to extending washes than others. Honestly, I have stopped trying to extend my washing. I used to be a daily washer, now I wash every second day. I did get it to every third day, but I hated how dirty and greasy it felt. So now I'm back to every second day, and I'm happy with that.

If your hair can't take a week, then wash twice a week. You can always leave it longer on the weekends if you're not doing anything, so maybe wash Sunday and Wednesday so you've got a schedule if that's important to you.

I don't think it's something you need to get too hung up over!

Kelikea
January 24th, 2012, 05:07 AM
The young living shampoo is usually ok for sensitive skin, just make sure it doesn't have pthalate. Since your conditioner is bothering you, try switching to an unscented version. You can clarify with BS/water and acv rinse or try the young living. If stretching washes doesn't work for you, or you don't like it, you don't have to stick with it just because it works for others. Just try to find something that won't irritate your sensitive skin.

newbeginning
January 24th, 2012, 05:17 AM
My hair gets oily too (with dry ends) so I have to wash it often too (well CWC). I find it works great. I can't stretch washes as it is horrible for my scalp so I understand your pain.

Carolyn
January 24th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Stretching washes out to a week is clearly not working for you. You've gotten some good advice above. I would suggest using a cone free conditioner for CO washing. Cone free means silicone free. Think about what silicone does. One use is to plug up leaks in drafty windows. I think the silicone could easily be the culprit in your break outs. It's plugging up your pores.

You've given going a week without washing your hair a good try. Maybe it's time to give it up and wash more often. Washing twice a week is really not washing your hair all that much compared to the average person. If your hair is greasy after 4 days, then wash it. You could alternate CO with CWC and use your cone conditioner for the 2nd C in CWC if you like what cones do for the length of your hair. But first I really think you need to clarify your hair. You've gotten 2 good suggestions for clarifying shampoos and both are widely available in the US. Baking soda will also do the trick but be warned that many find it very harsh and drying on the length of your hair. However you choose to clarify be sure to use a heavy moisturizing conditioner after you clarify. The purpose of clarifying it to strip off the build up and gunk on your hair. An after clarifying conditioner should be a nice rich moisturizing one to put the moisture back in to the hair. SMT with a non cone conditioner would be one.

gretchen_hair
January 24th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Maybe you should try to get some conditioner that isn't as *fragrant*, I have found that conditioners like Natures Gate, Jason, Giovanni have less harsh fragrances. If you wash or CO wash every few days, you won't need as much product and you can be frugal with it. (it's a little more expensive) But sometimes Big Lots and TJ Maxx carries them for a decent price.

If you are getting oily and want to wash or CO, do it! There is no right or wrong method when it comes to hair, it's what YOU choose to do.

There are times that my hair feels (gross to me) after 2 days of washing, other times I can go 3 or 4 days but it's usually when it's cold outside and I am not going anywhere and I just keep my hair bunned. Of course, when we get ready to leave, I shower and wash my hair because I will not go out with greasy looking hair.

If you desire a wash, do what makes you feel good! :flower:

ETA: If your DB happens to say your hair is oily, and it is, there is no reason to feel sad about it or be depressed, just wash it. Really, there is no sense in torturing yourself or making yourself miserable over some preconceived notion of how many times a week you're *supposed* to wash your hair.

If something is making you miserable/upset/sad/depressed, and it's something as simple as a hair wash, then just wash your hair. Why would you allow yourself to be in misery over washing your hair? In the grand scheme of things, washing your hair daily, every other day, twice a week or however often you want to wash it, isn't that big of a deal.

Amber_Maiden
January 24th, 2012, 07:09 AM
How about using baking soda to clarify? It works for me.

Madora
January 24th, 2012, 07:20 AM
I see no harm in washing once a week if that is what works best for you.

Personally, although I have no scientific evidence to back this up, I think stretching washes depends a lot on what type of products you use..and how you use them. That is, limiting yourself to just shampooing, rinsing it out, then conditioning. Every time you put something on your hair, it leaves a trace of it behind.

Also, to cut down on the greasies, you might like to try putting a white cotton sock over your brush, then brushing down the hair to remove some of the oiliness.

Brushing every day with a clean bbb helps me keep my moderately fine hair looking good while stretching washes.

Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you.

adiapalic
January 24th, 2012, 08:01 AM

I second the BBB if you haven't tried it before. I know that some with fine hair have had horrible results from using it, but it might be something to give a shot if you haven't.

I've found that after detangling with a comb, using the BBB on my hair when it starts to become oily around the scalp helps make it look and feel much cleaner. It moves that oil down and gives a "lift" to the hair that starts being limp.

There is of course a point of no return when the oils become really saturated... that's when you wash.

I see no harm in washing once a week if that is what works best for you.

Personally, although I have no scientific evidence to back this up, I think stretching washes depends a lot on what type of products you use..and how you use them. That is, limiting yourself to just shampooing, rinsing it out, then conditioning. Every time you put something on your hair, it leaves a trace of it behind.

Also, to cut down on the greasies, you might like to try putting a white cotton sock over your brush, then brushing down the hair to remove some of the oiliness.

Brushing every day with a clean bbb helps me keep my moderately fine hair looking good while stretching washes.

Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you.

^ I think Madora has added some really good points. I'm prone to oils on my scalp, whereas my length gets dry. I tried CO for a while, and it simply left the hair on my scalp noticeably limp and took no time at all to being saturated with oils again. I certainly wouldn't have been able to go a whole week, that's for sure. I found that my scalp produces plenty of it's own oil, and I switched to a different routine. I now only shampoo my scalp, and use conditioner only on my length. I do this once or twice a week (once in Winter for sure).

There are days when my scalp might get oily a little sooner, but my length is still moist and fine. I then loosely braid my length and hold it up and out of the way with one hand and shampoo and rinse only my scalp with the other hand. A little splash and moisture gets into the braid, but I don't need to wash or condition it. This is great in the Winter because it shortens drying time, and is a quick fix for greasies if the BBB doesn't do it.

So from my own experience, and from your descriptions, I think that CO may be too much oil for your scalp. You could try water only on the scalp and CO the length. If that's not enough, shampoo for the scalp may have to be the option.

This is the only method that generally gets me a week between washes. HTH :flower:

turtlelover
January 24th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Maybe you'd have better results washing more often w/ a sulfate free shampoo. I agree that greasy hair is not an attractive look on anyone!

spidermom
January 24th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I wish I could get to one wash per week, but I really start hating my hair at about day 3, so I usually wash on the 4th day, sooner if I feel disgusting. I think the best policy is to wash when your hair needs to be washed; I really do. I can vouch for the CWC method with diluted shampoo and pre-wash coconut oiling. I get consistently good results. (I still wish I could get away with only once per week, though.)