PDA

View Full Version : blow frier or flat iron?

bubblyredhead
January 23rd, 2012, 10:20 PM
Which would be worse to do to my hair? spraying a light mist over my hair and blow drying it with a brush on cool or running over the bits of hair with a flat iron at 170F mainly bangs and face framing layers( same area with the blow dryer) I am trying to do the least amount of damage while still enjoying my hair and I have yet to find another way to make my bangs and FFL to behave.

javagrl
January 23rd, 2012, 10:37 PM
If you are going to keep your bangs then a flat iron doesn't matter because they are going to be cut regularly anyway.

But on the rest of it definitely the blowfryer to a minimum. Just towel dry as much as you can, air dry a bit, apply heat protectant, aim the dryer straight down, and finish with a cool shot to set it.

And budget your blowfries. For example, on my "first day" of washing is the only days that I blowfry. Second day is an up or half up day. Third day may be a all up day and oiling before bed prewash, etc.

Hope that helps in any way.

Mommyof4
January 23rd, 2012, 10:41 PM
I would say blowdryer would be safer...

einna
January 24th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Blowdryer would be best in my opinion. Much lower temperatures.
I am not fond of flat irons, they do not agree with my hair.

missoj
January 24th, 2012, 01:06 AM
blow dryers are lower in heat and normally have a cool option, so they are better, where as flat irons only operate in high heats. I use a blow dryer regularly. I get more damage from my flat iron than what I rarely use than my blow dryer. First I dry my hair till its about 80% dry on the lower setting and then add a bit of coconut oil to my hair and finish off on high with a round brush (before of course I use a heat protectant and leave in conditioner).

torrilin
January 24th, 2012, 09:53 AM
What look are you going for? You're typing yourself as 1c, and most 1c would not have much if any wave visible in the bangs and face framing layers. The most I get is the occasional corkscrew curl in the baby hairs that never grow near my face, but those hairs are too short to get successfully with a blow dryer or a straightener... maybe 1-2" long. And they don't even do that without a good bit of conditioner to encourage curl...

If I have bangs, they look like a straight brick of hair, especially if they get combed out while they're wet and have conditioner in. (my hair isn't combable without some conditioner in it) I think that looks hideous, but I know lots of people like that look, and it tends to be the one where I see folks bringing out the straighteners... So, got pictures you can point us to?

Amber_Maiden
January 24th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Blow dryer on a cool setting shouldn't be a problem.

fridgee
January 24th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Another vote for the cool blow drier. Got to be less damaging than stretching your hair between two burning hot plates even if they are 'only' 170F

lapushka
January 24th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Blowdryer, definitely. A flat iron is so much hotter than a blowdryer is.

Carissamarie08
January 24th, 2012, 12:01 PM
well depends on what kind of blowdryer you have...there are some that can get just as hot as a flatiron like the expensive Ferrari brand.

Nev
January 24th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I blow dry and flat iron my bangs and face framing layers, i use a heat protectant, plus i have my layers and bangs trimmed regularly. The rest of the length i do not use heat on!
So i wouldn't worry so much about a little styling :)

Long_hair_bear
January 24th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I love my flat iron, but I'll be the first to admit that it's terrible for my hair. I only use it once in a blue moon.

jacqueline101
January 24th, 2012, 12:30 PM
I'd say blow frier is less damaging.

PixieKitten
January 24th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I'd say blow dryer. Mine has a button with a snowflake on it that makes the air room temperature if not slightly colder, so whenever I'm in a hurry I just keep a hold on it. My thumb totally cramps up but at least I don't get heat damage from it! =D

BrightEyes
January 24th, 2012, 03:54 PM
If you are planning on keeping your bangs short then I wouldn't worry too much about heat styling them. You will regularly be trimming off any damage. I either blow dry or flat iron my bangs daily, and honestly my bangs are so short that I don't really see much damage at all.

If you are referring to the rest of your hair, then I would say a blow dryer is less damaging.....although I got horrific damage from stretching my hair with a round brush while I dried it. Adding a flat iron to the mix made my hair begin to break and crumble at the ends.:(

Andraste
January 24th, 2012, 04:45 PM
I think flat irons are way worse, plus you always have the option of 'cool' setting with a blowdryer to avoid heat damage.