PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when it's time to trim and a question

Renate
January 23rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure I should trim my hair. I don't have any split ends and they aren't dry. Well, they are slightly drier then the rest of the hair, but that is how ends are, aren't they?

My last trim was August 2011. I did a micro trim a few weeks ago, it was my first self trim, so I took off only 1/3" (1 cm). My ends felt great, but it didn't feel as if I had just trimmed, you know what I mean? So that's why I'm thinking of another trim...

However, I don't know if it is really necessary. As I explained before, I don't have any splits and the ends don't feel much drier than the rest of the hair... They look nice, shiny and there is no thinning.

So ladies, tell me, when do you know it's time to trim your ends?

Madora
January 23rd, 2012, 08:21 PM
I haven't trimmed in over six months and the ends are still looking good. I S and D a little every day but apart from that always wear it up to protect it.

If your ends are looking healthy, then just postpone the trim until it really needs it.

jeanniet
January 23rd, 2012, 08:30 PM
I just trim when I think it needs it, but usually for me a trim means maybe 1/4". That's generally enough to make my ends feel better. Once I reach hip I plan to maintain at that length for a while, so I'll be trimming whatever I grow each month.

einna
January 23rd, 2012, 09:20 PM
I dont think you need to trim yet. :)

I know it is time to trim when my hair starts to act differently. The ends get drier, my hair tangles easier and looks poofier. If clarifying and a deep treatment or two does not help, I trim.

I can also tell by time, my ends seems to need a trim when it has been about 2,5 - 3 months since the last trim.

My ends are now healthier, but I have started microtrimming (thoroughy, I trim the tip of one small lock at a time, not just the very longest hairs) instead of a 1/2 to a 1/3 inch trim like I used to, and the timing seems to be the same (2 months and 1 week since last microtrim, and hair is "acting" up again).

jacqueline101
January 23rd, 2012, 09:28 PM
If your ends are healthy I'd wait until they're split.

owlathena
January 23rd, 2012, 09:30 PM
I think its time to trim when my ends look too thin or uneven. I also agree with when the hair is "acting up" and clairifying, protein, or moisturizing doesn't cut it (hehehe puns). Then a trim might help.

Renate
January 24th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Thank you everyone!

I guess I won't trim, then.

Mesmerise
January 24th, 2012, 04:41 AM
When I'm actively growing (and not trying to chop out damage) I only trim when my ends look straggly or are splitting (but generally they're only splitting when I've got damage anyway so it's a bit different).

I can handle a bit of straggliness but there comes a time when I have to trim as my hair starts making me nuts. I have gone over a year without a trim before, but it's been awhile as I've had chemical damage for the last 20+ years!!

Once I've cut my chemical damage, I'll probably do a small trim once a year so that it looks reasonably neat, but the rest of the time I'll let it grow grow grow!

Quetiepi
January 24th, 2012, 04:50 AM
I am growing out the blond hair dye, my goal is virgin waist length hair by age 60. I thought for a while that I wanted longer than waist, but when it got a couple inches past waist I realized I that longer than waist wasn't going to work for me. I get an inch or two trimmed every few months, mainly because I am sick of the blond and want to be natural gray. The gray is a little past shoulder and I am toying with the idea of cutting off all the blond once the gray gets a couple more inches longer. I still have 3 years and 3 months to get to waist length virgin hair.

jojo
January 24th, 2012, 06:22 AM
When my ends tangle at the ends, first I clarify this is all it needs sometimes but if I still get tangly ends I then trim.

Amber_Maiden
January 24th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I do dusting about once a month on my ends, so I don't have to worry about it. You could dust if you like.

Renate
January 24th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I do dusting about once a month on my ends, so I don't have to worry about it. You could dust if you like.

I'm sorry, but what is dusting? Is it like a micro-trim?