PDA

View Full Version : Too Old For Long Hair??

cobden 28
January 23rd, 2012, 05:20 PM
I've been told today by my husband that at 56 I'm too old to wear my waist-length hair long and loose, with an Alice band. He says the grey will soon start to show and I'm trying to look like a teenager.

RUBBISH!:taz:

Admittedly I am showing a few grey hairs but that's nothing a trip to the hairdresser for a temporary mousse won't cure. And why shouldn't I wear my hair long and loose if I want to, provided my hair is clean, tidy and in good condition?:taz:

Have any other older ladies been told they're 'too old' either to have long hair anyway or to wear their hair long and loose?

Kitsu
January 23rd, 2012, 05:23 PM
long hair is for everyone. maybe your hubby is jealous of your lovely locks?

cobden 28
January 23rd, 2012, 05:26 PM
If anything the envy is the other way round - my hair is dead straight, Mike's hair grows in a lovely sort of natural wave/curl, just like a marcel wave whereas my hair just HANGS.

A. Correira
January 23rd, 2012, 05:27 PM
There is always someone out there who thinks that older women should not have long hair. At first, I agreed with them. I was actually just talking to my husband about this and after thinking about it, I realized, if the hair is in good condition, why does it matter? An older woman having long hair can be beautiful as long as they still care about it. I worked in an assisted living community and there was a woman who had BSL or longer hair and I couldn't imagine her without it. It was thick and healthy and she always wore it in a side braid. If she could do it, I think that anyone can, especially since she was well into her 80's.

cobden 28
January 23rd, 2012, 05:29 PM
My avatar photo was taken in November 2011, so it's fairly recent and accurate.

Kitsu
January 23rd, 2012, 05:30 PM
grass is always greener on the other side. I'd love to have straight locks :/

I read that if you put damp hair in a sock bun and sleep in it it will give you lovely curls in the morning. Might be worth a try ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FV-YO46E8Y&feature=relmfu

As for being too old for an alice band I'm nearly thirty and still wear ribbons and pigtails. I figure if you got it flaunt it ^^

jojo
January 23rd, 2012, 05:34 PM
are you heck too old, your not even old! I am 43 this year and I have a sprinkling of silvers coming through, I am growing to classic maybe longer if I can, the only time your too old for long hair is when your 6 foot under and pushing up the daisies!

A lot of people who are very, very old have long hair look at God and Santa, don't know which ones older but there both well into their 6th century at least :D

frodolaughs
January 23rd, 2012, 05:36 PM
You're 56 and the gray will soon start to show? Wow! You are incredibly youthful. I first had gray hair at 16. My mother's hair is 100% gray (and now going towards white) and she's 52. She wears her BSL hair in a half-up most days. I think it looks great. My boyfriend's mother is 65. Her hair is somewhere between BSL and waist, and she wears up most days but long and loose when she wants to be extra pretty. She stopped getting it colored about 5 years ago. It's gray and it's beautiful.

I'm sorry your husband doesn't appreciate your hair. Nobody is too old for long hair. I think any length can be perfect for any age--it all depends on the wishes of the head it grows from.

Amber_Maiden
January 23rd, 2012, 05:38 PM
Never too old for long hair! I want to have long hair when I'm older. :)

It's the same thing people say about getting married- have to cut your hair after. Or having a baby- have to cut you hair after. You don't. Don't listen. Do what makes you happy!

ladyshep
January 23rd, 2012, 05:39 PM
Never too old to have long hair! I know a lot of women your age with very long hair. They are beautiful! Some wear theirs down because it is too long to wear up, but they keep it clean and looks wonderful! They don't look like they are trying to look like teenagers. *laughs* I think your hair looks wonderful!

Torrin Paige
January 23rd, 2012, 05:43 PM
My mom is 52 and is at waist length - and she wears her hair down every day. Her goal? Classic! She so doesn't give a hoot what anyone thinks of her - although she has told me that there has been a lot of interest from younger men due to her long, lovely hair (and her gorgeous face, but she didn't notice it before she let her hair grow out). Perhaps it is jealousy, but of a different kind. :eyebrows: Regardless, if your hair makes you happy, then wear it however you feel like wearing it. As a matter of fact, start wearing pigtails - I'm going to guess your hubby will stop complaining about the Alice bands after a few days of Pocahontas braids. LOL. (BTW - I still wear pigtails when I feel like it and I don't care one bit. I'm 35. :) )

Carolyn
January 23rd, 2012, 05:44 PM
If you look around here you'll find there are a bunch of threads on aging and long hair. You'll see you are not alone.

And I would kill for stick straight hair.

Quetiepi
January 23rd, 2012, 05:51 PM
I'm 56 & Hubs likes my long hair. He says I'm too old for miniskirts, though!

spidermom
January 23rd, 2012, 05:53 PM
Let me say this about that: POPPYCOCK!

(<~see age)

spidermom
January 23rd, 2012, 05:59 PM
p.s: aren't we a little too old to listen to other people telling us what we should and should not do with our own hair?

dulce
January 23rd, 2012, 06:01 PM
My hubbie encouraged me in my 50's to stop colouring and grow my hair out long again.I just turned 60 and have silver streaked waist length hair.How about trying a french twist with a beautiful flexi clip? A lovely french braid? A half up in a bun with a flexi clip or small hair fork? And sometimes in a low chignon or even all loose with long dangly flashy earrings? Maybe what your hubbie means is he wants to see more sohisticated styles?Long hair can look very elegant and sohisticated not childish or like a teenager by using different styles and hair toys.Also check out the "topsy tail" gadget sold on the net-very easy elegant styles with that item.

cobden 28
January 23rd, 2012, 06:03 PM
Thank you all for those votes of confidence! My avatar photo was taken by my daughter on her mobile phone and I like this photo.

Maybe I will have some sort of temporary colourant put in (just maybe, mind you!) but I'm keeping the length!!

dulce
January 23rd, 2012, 06:32 PM
Silver,long hair can be very elegant-check out Yasminna Rossi [supermodel in her 50's with silver waist length hair ]Dyed hair after a certain age usually looks flat,and turns brassy,once you get a lot of gray in your hair ,the gray hair lots of times no longer takes colour well anymore.How about highlights instead of a total head colour?You can highlight while slowly turning silver with much less damage than a total dye job.Anyway check out all the options,there are lots..

jeanniet
January 23rd, 2012, 06:35 PM
Naw, you're not too old! I wear my hair up a lot, but also down quite a bit. If my husband doesn't like it, he's too chicken to say so. ;)

Teazel
January 23rd, 2012, 06:38 PM
Goodness. My hair is mostly silver and down to my calves; I wonder what your DH would say to that?! :tmi: :wink:

My DH isn't keen on my hair at this length. He loves long hair, just not so much past tailbone length... but hey, it's my hair and I'll do as I please. :wigtongue

Nedertane
January 23rd, 2012, 06:41 PM
YAR! Never surrender your locks! They're too lovely. :)

turtlelover
January 23rd, 2012, 06:42 PM
I'm 36, have a good amount of gray, and want to grow mine to midback or waist and NOT color. I get more comments on my hair since I let the natural color grown in, cause not many 36 year olds have the guts to do it.

GypsyGoddess
January 23rd, 2012, 06:42 PM
There's a maths professor at my college who has the loveliest all-white braid (and her hair is super thick!) and I'd guess her unbraided length is probably around waist, as her braid ends at mid-back. I say, if you like it keep it! I've seen some lovely grey streaks, some really amazing heads of silver hair, and some lovely long white hair as well. Age is not a reason to stop liking something that's important to you.

dulce
January 23rd, 2012, 07:06 PM
Cobden 28,just show your hubbie this forum and some of the people here.Teasel [above]has gorgeous silvery long hair as do many others.They do not look like teenagers but elegant sophisticated older women.

long&blonde
January 23rd, 2012, 07:11 PM
57, and I hear "too old to wear it down." Frequently enough too. Tho DBF,and guys our age group love it,from the ones I run into at least. I love seeing a woman our age with long silver hair in a braid or ponytail.And I love my "Alice bands"too. At work they tell me I look like "Hazel the maid!" I never ever think I'm trying to "look young"with my hair. Mystical or Crone like:heck yeah! Young:Why would I? Lol!

EdG
January 23rd, 2012, 07:13 PM
Cobden 28,just show your hubbie this forum and some of the people here.Teasel [above]has gorgeous silvery long hair as do many others.They do not look like teenagers but elegant sophisticated older women.And men. :D

I have enough gray streaks to qualify. :cheese:
Ed

Teazel
January 23rd, 2012, 07:32 PM
Cobden 28,just show your hubbie this forum and some of the people here.Teasel [above]has gorgeous silvery long hair as do many others.They do not look like teenagers but elegant sophisticated older women.

LOL, dulce, I don't feel very elegant or sophisticated at the moment; I've been playing music LOUD while baking for the local bat research team, dancing around the kitchen and singing (squawking?) at the top of my voice. :silly: But thanks! :flowers:

dragonette@1
January 23rd, 2012, 07:38 PM
You have beautiful hair - please don't cut it. As others have suggested, experiment with different braids and buns, hair toys and scarves. There are numerous tutorial videos on YouTube for some great easy styles.

There's also a thread on here about temporary colors that you may want to read...

dulce
January 23rd, 2012, 07:50 PM
Hi Ed!! Yes,you qualify!!

dulce
January 23rd, 2012, 07:57 PM
I mentioned other women as the OP is a woman dealing with a specific attitude problem with her hubbie about her having long silver hair.I wanted her to be able to show her hubbie that many other older women do wear long silver hair and that that myth he believed that older women shouldn't have long hair is wrong.Yes,that myth also applies to men too but I never thought of it as the Op was a woman.Sorry!

going gray
January 23rd, 2012, 07:59 PM
Oh no, don't cut your amazing hair, enjoy it. The only opinion that counts is yours!

EdG
January 23rd, 2012, 08:00 PM
Hi Ed!! Yes,you qualify!!Hee, hee, yes I do. :agree:

ETA:

I mentioned other women as the OP is a woman dealing with a specific attitude problem with her hubbie about her having long silver hair.I wanted her to be able to show her hubbie that many other older women do wear long silver hair and that that myth he believed that older women shouldn't have long hair is wrong.Yes,that myth also applies to men too but I never thought of it as the Op was a woman.Sorry!No problem. :flowers:

I'm being a bit funny by pointing out there are long-haired men on the board... and we're not all teenagers. :D The original poster's husband may be in for more surprises. :)
Ed

Deborah
January 23rd, 2012, 08:49 PM
Only dead people are too old for long hair.

jacqueline101
January 23rd, 2012, 09:21 PM
You're not too old. It sounds like it is your husband is jealous of the attention your hair brings. You have fans on here and I'm sure you have some in person.

trolleypup
January 23rd, 2012, 10:07 PM
Only dead people are too old for long hair.Well, given the number of mummies out there with long hair, not even being dead disqualifies you from long locks!

Just personally, a person of the OP's age with long hair with any amount of silver presents to me as strong and confident. As I've heard many times, "I've earned these grey hairs!" Cutting and dyeing look to me more like trying to be something other than oneself.

ETA: I dunno why my silvers don't show up in my new sig pic. Trust me, they are there!

joliherb
January 23rd, 2012, 10:33 PM
I'm 52 and I'm not cutting my hair or trying to look young. And yes I'm getting grey hair!

javagrl
January 23rd, 2012, 10:50 PM
I thought all men wanted our hair down to our feet no matter what! Wow this is news! Anyhoo...

It comes down to your personal preference in the end but I do understand wanting to please your husband with your hair. Maybe a compromise? He might just want to see a bit of color or a few different styles. I know I'm playing devil's advocate here, but just trying to be objective for both parties.

MaryMarx
January 24th, 2012, 01:50 AM
I think long hair on women in let's say 40+ is inspiring and refreshing to see, when the majority of women of that age cut their hair short and just throw away all things that are feminine.

I will definitely have long hair when I get to that age, if it is possible. If my hair gets in too bad condition I will have a page atleast. :)

Kiwiwi
January 24th, 2012, 01:59 AM
My mommy is 60 and last year she started growing her hair out. It's been shortshort for decades. I am so excited! :joy: It's almost shoulder length now. She wants to finally stop dyeing (dark brown) and be silver/gray fulltime ^_^ I can't wait for her to have long, silver hair!! :-D

IanB
January 24th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Too old for long hair? I don't think so - and neither should you!

duchesswannabe
January 24th, 2012, 04:25 AM
ETA: I dunno why my silvers don't show up in my new sig pic. Trust me, they are there!

When I tried to take pics of my silvers, the only ones that really showed them were two closeup pics I took in a yellow room in my house with an eastern and northern exposure, and in clear outdoor light with the sun basically to my right, setting. Outdoor light really shows 'em up, anyhow.

Mesmerise
January 24th, 2012, 04:52 AM
I think you're never too old for long hair! Maybe your husband just feels threatened because your hair is so youthful and pretty?

But really, it's none of his business! Yes, he may be your husband, but you're the one in control of your hair and how you look. You need to be happy with you!

My husband gets upset with some of the things I do, but he deals with it! Fortunately he couldn't care less about long hair... he's more worried about excessive tattooing and piercing!

newbeginning
January 24th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Wear your hair whatever way makes you happy and don't worry about what others think (it's your hair after all). Also I'm a bit jealous you only have a few grays. I started graying in my late teens.

furnival
January 24th, 2012, 05:21 AM
My Mum is nearing 60 and she has beautiful thigh-length silvery hair that she has never dyed or cut. She often wears it down with an alice band and she looks wonderful. I'm so glad she has never felt the need to cut it and I'm sure she never will. "Too old for long hair"? My @rse. :)
Wishing you the best of luck, it must be hard when your nearest and dearest are not supportive. :flower:

MissAlida
January 24th, 2012, 05:30 AM
How strong is your husbands objection to long loose hair? If not very strong, you could "threaten" him, and say you'll cut it really short...like pixie. He might just realise, that long loose har is not such a bad option afterall.:D BTW: I think everyone should have the freedom to wear their hair the way they want it.

Fairlight63
January 24th, 2012, 07:27 AM
I think that you are married to my husband! :p
My hair was not even very long yet - about shoulder length & he told me that having long hair made me look old. I told him - a news flash - I am old - I was over 60 then. Ever so often he tells me that I should cut my hair, but he has given up on saying anything lately. I guess that he sees that I am not going to give in to him this time in what he thinks.
I have quit dying my hair & gone silver. My hair is about TB length, I usually wear it up or in a side braid. I am 66 yrs. old. I say when ever he says anything just smile at him & keep going. I am not one to say smart remarks back at people- but I DO think them. LOL

AND KEEP coming here for moral support!!

lunalocks
January 24th, 2012, 08:42 AM
55 here and growing strong (past waist, now). The only person who has had a problem with my length is a stuck up aunt whom I, fortunately, never have to see. The only person who has suggested I cover up the gray (my silver streaks have barely begun), is my 94 year old mother because she thought they made HER look old!

trolleypup
January 24th, 2012, 09:04 AM
When I tried to take pics of my silvers, the only ones that really showed them were two closeup pics I took in a yellow room in my house with an eastern and northern exposure, and in clear outdoor light with the sun basically to my right, setting. Outdoor light really shows 'em up, anyhow.
Mine usually show up in outdoors pics with direct sun, but for some reason they didn't in pictures from this trip...except for some taken at a hot spring that won't be posted here. Oh well...I'll just have to take some more next time I go out.

Redvelvetdragon
January 24th, 2012, 09:22 AM
My mom usually had a minimum of shoulder length hair while I was growing up, but mostly elbow length. It wasn't till she was in her 70s that she started to wear it just passed her shoulders. She did color the whites though, she hated them but I liked them. She had naturally jet black hair so she'd color to match.

Toward the last few years of her life, she was in and out of the hospital. The nurses used to unpin her hair and wash it and then spread the long hair on her pillow in a sort of mermaid corona look.

Nurses on the floor then used to take turns popping into her room to look at and admire her beautiful hair.

That's the hair I'm going for as an older person. No one is going to goad me into fitting some kind of ridiculous unwritten rule out there that older women should cut and perm their hair to within an inch of the hair's life. I don't want to be a q-tip head!

gothic_lady
January 24th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I Subscribe too: You're never too old for long hair!

When I decided to let my hair grow classic length (I had always waist length), I was afraid that in a few years I'll have grey hair and I'll have to cut it, but then I saw ALL the great pictures HERE with beautiful-long-silver hair and I just fell in love with silver hair :) I just love long silver hair :)

mariazelie
January 25th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I vote for your long hair. Let it grow and wear it down if you want. Who makes these rules, anyway? Sometimes I secretly think the short hair on elderly women makes them look like men, like their husbands, like twins! Not the look I want.