PDA

View Full Version : Hemlines and how to choose them.

Kitsu
January 23rd, 2012, 03:39 PM
So how does one decide on a hemline?

or does the hair decide for itself? Does a certain hemline look better with or without bangs. Which is the best to actively grow hair out with?

Advice and opinions welcome ^^

spidermom
January 23rd, 2012, 03:41 PM
I decided by looking at pictures around here and choosing which one I liked the best (the U-hem). Unfortunately, I now have more of a blunt, straight-across hem. I asked for a U-hem, but I don't think that my stylist (friend of daughter, recent graduate of beauty school) knew how to do it. Fooey!

Kitsu
January 23rd, 2012, 03:46 PM
I must admit I'm gravitating towards that too it looks like the most "growth proof" hemline, Blunt would take too much of my length I think :( But V line seems to be the easiest to self maintain.

See I've confused myself again heehee

Madora
January 23rd, 2012, 03:49 PM
I've always liked blunt hemlines because they always look tidy and the hair looks thick and full. They are also easier to deal with when S and Ding, as well as easier to trim when the need arises.

Blunt hemlines also made for easier updos.

ravenreed
January 23rd, 2012, 03:54 PM
I like the way layered hair looks when down so I have a layered hemline. It also reduces weight quite a bit.

Yame
January 23rd, 2012, 04:14 PM
I've always liked blunt hemlines because they always look tidy and the hair looks thick and full. They are also easier to deal with when S and Ding, as well as easier to trim when the need arises.

Blunt hemlines also made for easier updos.

This. I like that the blunt hemline makes my hair look thicker, and that it's easier to deal with when trimming.

My hair tapers a lot due to my bangs that are still trying to catch up to the rest of the length and due to natural layers (breakage, newer hairs, etc), so my hem isn't as blunt as I'd like it to be, but that's the look I go for.

I've been considering changing up my hemline in the future if I find one that is more flattering to my shape. I've been finding that I like a V hemline on other people, but I don't think I could pull it off myself.

Kitsu
January 23rd, 2012, 04:27 PM
do different hems look good with different body types?

oh its really hard to imagine what I'd look like from behind :S

cheetahfast
January 23rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
I think hemlines look different with different hair types.

Body type wise I think that a v hemline on longer hair (hip, tailbone, classic) would draw attention to the booty.

Since my hair is curly I haven't picked out what kind of hemline I want.
It won't make much of a difference for me. I'm more focused on deciding on layers or not.

Looking at other people's ones might help you decide.

CurlyZ
January 23rd, 2012, 04:43 PM
do different hems look good with different body types?

oh its really hard to imagine what I'd look like from behind :S

There is somewhere a "photoshop to your goal length" thread here.
Some of our wonderful members can do :magic: :agree:
Why don't you ask them to make you the different hemlines?
It's a fun way to see yourself with long hair!

Kitsu
January 23rd, 2012, 04:45 PM
There is somewhere a "photoshop to your goal length" thread here.
Some of our wonderful members can do :magic: :agree:
Why don't you ask them to make you the different hemlines?
It's a fun way to see yourself with long hair!

that sounds both fun and high tech. Where would I find this thread?

BlazingHeart
January 23rd, 2012, 04:45 PM
I think it's really about what you think looks best with your hair.

I like a blunt hemline personally. I think it just emphasizes the thickness and fullness of the hair. I mean, if I wanted MASSIVE volume, I'd go with layers (which poof out on me quite dramatically - I end up looking like a country singer from the 80s).

As far as growing out, I can't really say because my growth is super consistent. I've gone as long as 2 1/2 years without a trim and still had a very blunt hemline.

~Blaze

CurlyZ
January 23rd, 2012, 04:46 PM
...and here is the link:

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549&page=85

Kitsu
January 23rd, 2012, 04:56 PM
Thank you <3 I hope someone can help :3

@blaze are layers and a hemline the same thing? I mean if you had a V hem would you have to have layers to get that or would the hair just be cut in a V shape? I had layers many moons ago and I was not fond of the "poofyness" the stylist said that layers would make my hair less poofy, what she didn't say is that I'd have to iron it for that to be true >.<

jojo
January 23rd, 2012, 04:58 PM
My hair grows in a natural U verging on V. I like the look of a slight U as I think it makes hair look pretty but I prefer a blunt for making the ends look thicker. Having said that a blunt hemline on longer than waist makes hair look a bit like Dracula's cloak in my opinion, from waist on i personally think either a U or V hemline is the most flattering!

Ligeia_13
January 23rd, 2012, 05:06 PM
Well, my hair decided. I cut my hair straight across in august and a month later it was U shaped. Nothing I can do about it :p

Lady Neeva
January 23rd, 2012, 08:54 PM
Mine's a weird horizontal / due to the front being longer & the back less attentiver

jacqueline101
January 23rd, 2012, 09:10 PM
I have let nature take its toll my hair grows at a v hem line. I think nature decided the best hem line for me is v and I have bangs with mine. It looks alright. I would also like my hair to be at tail bone and v line hem.

Lissandria
January 24th, 2012, 05:19 AM
At the length I'm at now, I'm pretty much straight across. Once I gain some serious length, a deep V is what I'm hoping for :pray:

B-L
January 24th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Well my hair seems to grow in a U-hem. I have had a V before but it grew out fast to a U.. I don't want blunt though.. I don't like how heavy my hair looks with it.

Shesta
January 24th, 2012, 05:33 AM
a blunt hemline on longer than waist makes hair look a bit like Dracula's cloak

:D what a nice comparison! I share Jojo's opinion on that - longer than waist looks much more natural with U or V

maria_tasha
January 24th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I just love U hemlines because they seem soft and look really well on any type of hair. Although I've seen a lot of nice V hemlines on me they look terrible. I think you have to have really thick hair for them.

jeanniet
January 24th, 2012, 08:19 AM
My hair grows in a natural U, which is good because that's the hemline I prefer. I think to some extent it's easier to pick a hemline that mimics the way your hair tends to grow, but if you really don't like it you can maintain the hemline you want by keeping it trimmed. The problem with this is that if your hair insists on growing in a V and you want blunt (for example), you won't be able to go without trimming for months without giving up that bluntness. Other than that, there's no reason you can't have whatever hemline you like.

hellucy
January 24th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I think a U hemline looks most natural and full, it also mimics the way my hair grows (fastest at the back).
No offence to anyone but IMO I often think a the bottom of a V hem line looks straggly & in alot of cases frizzy & un-cared for (or it may just be that where I live there are alot of women who don't look after there lengths).

Kitsu
January 24th, 2012, 03:37 PM
thaniks for all the input guys ^^ I'm probably going to go with a U hem but I have a whole week to think about it so it may channge :/ I'll update after I come back from my trim >.<

littleizz
January 24th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I keep a deep U / soft V with some layers. I understand that blunt makes the hemline look thicker and trims are easier, but in my opinion unless the hair is stick straight and relatively thin, I think it's not very flattering.

Apriori
January 24th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I think thin and/or straight hair looks best with a straight hemline because it makes the hair look thicker and curli and/or thick hair looks better with a U or V shaped hemline :)

Kitsu
January 25th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Gabriel very kindly photo-shopped my hemlines for me. <3

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6534&pictureid=124797

Looking at them now I'm tipping more towards a V line. Opinions/advice appreciated ^^