PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else made this mistake? :(

irishlady
January 23rd, 2012, 03:21 PM
I feel awful people.

In frustration (and a very bad couple of days) I went and hacked my fringe that I was growing out back into a way too short, choppy mess :(:(:(

I can still pin it back at least, but it looks terrible and I immediately regretted it. At least it'll grow and look okay again in a few weeks, but still.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has cut a terrible fringe/bangs :(:(

Torrin Paige
January 23rd, 2012, 03:29 PM
I once cut my own in high school (back in ye olden times when everyone had the big teased poof up front) and I cut WAY TOO MUCH! We're talking a huge amount. I ended up keeping a wispy fringe up front, but the other huge hunk of hair? Had to keep it pinned back, or up under the side while it grew out. It was terrible. So, the next time I grew my bangs all out to the rest of my length and realized that I have a fivehead and actually need some fringe up there, I was very very careful to cut a wee tiny bit at a time until I had my little bits o' wisp up front. The best thing about fringe? It grows REALLY fast. Your hair will be back to normal in no time. Hugs!

irishlady
January 23rd, 2012, 03:31 PM
I once cut my own in high school (back in ye olden times when everyone had the big teased poof up front) and I cut WAY TOO MUCH! We're talking a huge amount. I ended up keeping a wispy fringe up front, but the other huge hunk of hair? Had to keep it pinned back, or up under the side while it grew out. It was terrible. So, the next time I grew my bangs all out to the rest of my length and realized that I have a fivehead and actually need some fringe up there, I was very very careful to cut a wee tiny bit at a time until I had my little bits o' wisp up front. The best thing about fringe? It grows REALLY fast. Your hair will be back to normal in no time. Hugs!

Thanks Torrin! Eek I know the poof thing you're talking about, I can only imagine lol. Hugs to you.

same_as
January 23rd, 2012, 03:34 PM
Before I had cut my almost-shoulder length hair cut into a pixie, I snipped my fringe (which was almost long enough to brush behind my ears) into a ugly short mess. Luckily for me when I did go to the hair dresser's to get the pixie cut she also fixed up my terrible work. She had to take another half a centimeter or so off, but it looked much better and grew that extra bit longer very quickly anyway. Mabye you can ask a hairdresser to help fix it for you, or cut the fringe into something nicer so you wont feel so bad about it?

irishlady
January 23rd, 2012, 03:39 PM
Before I had cut my almost-shoulder length hair cut into a pixie, I snipped my fringe (which was almost long enough to brush behind my ears) into a ugly short mess. Luckily for me when I did go to the hair dresser's to get the pixie cut she also fixed up my terrible work. She had to take another half a centimeter or so off, but it looked much better and grew that extra bit longer very quickly anyway. Mabye you can ask a hairdresser to help fix it for you, or cut the fringe into something nicer so you wont feel so bad about it?

Yeah I've been thinking of that, maybe just getting a stylist to fix it, but then again I dunno lol

vanity_acefake
January 23rd, 2012, 03:46 PM
When I was wee I cut my fringe off. Completely! And all the hair off my doll.
Looked a right numpty.
Oddly enough my daughter also took scissors to her fringe when she was wee and hacked a big bit off.
At least hair grows back.

millyaulait
January 23rd, 2012, 04:05 PM
Yes! I did this only last week.. :)

I've been pinning my bangs back since then because they look ridiculous.. I don't look so good without them but it's better than having the hacked mess on show! Hopefully they will grow back quickly for all of us.. Stay away from the scissors! :D

kitten1986
January 23rd, 2012, 04:07 PM
I do it all the time!!
I love cutting my fringe and get a little bit scissor happy and it always ends up too short and choppy in a bad way, but the good news is that you can style it or pin it and just wait for it to grow and it usually starts to look ok in two weeks or so. But still I know there is nothing worse than that sinking feeling you get standing in te bathroom with scissors in hand after you have made a mistake :S

I have a long side fringe with face framing layers at the moment which I cut with a razor and since I have been doing that I havent had any mistakes. I know razors can be damaging and I would never use it on my lengths but seeing as I trim my fringe so much I figured it wouldn't be a problem.

swearnsue
January 23rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
the first time I cut them my hair was wet and I didn't know that hair shrunk up when they dry! They turned out very short and uneven!

Mopolop
January 23rd, 2012, 04:16 PM
Oh god, I was looking at pics of me from about 6 years ago, massive cringe. I had clearly experimented hacking at my own fringe and at one point cut it less than a cm, the rest of my hair being past shoulder length. :scared: Was painful to look at.

Georgies
January 23rd, 2012, 04:20 PM
But of course! Many times! I love ultra short trendy bangs on other people, and I tried them on myself many disastrous times. Fortunately, pinned back side bangs can look great, or when all else fails, a nice head band.

irishlady
January 23rd, 2012, 04:44 PM
lol thanks everyone, I feel much better now :)

I have however decided to trim back to chin tomorrow, going to the stylists and will get her to just neaten it a bit.

I know it's going to make my journey to long hair well...longer...but at least now I have an excuse to get ride of all of my layers...except for the fringe...for now. I will post pics including my new flexi!

cobden 28
January 23rd, 2012, 05:04 PM
In 1980 I had my hair in a collar-length bob with a full fringe and centre parting. Shortly before my husband and I were due to go for our first-ever holiday abroad I asked Mike to trim my fringe for me, to hold the ends of my fringe between his fingers and cut to that length; unfortunately he cut my fringe to above where he was holding the ends of my fringe, so not only was my fringe cut way too short but it was also cut at a 45-degree angle!

To add insult to injury all our holiday snaps for that holiday show me with this dreadful fringe and I had to hide the damage by wearing my hear in a side-parting with a side fringe till it was ling enough for a hairdresser to trim it properly!

Mike has occasionally offered to trim my hair for me since then but I'd rather pay out several pounds at a salon to have the job done properly!!

jojo
January 23rd, 2012, 05:05 PM
I shaved my widows peak and cow lick, oh and side burns off when I was younger, thought it would make my fringe lay flatter; it didnt and took ages to grow out.

jeanniet
January 23rd, 2012, 06:42 PM
Oh, yes, and it was horribly embarrassing. It looked like someone attacked my hairline, lol. That was when I learned to cut just a tiny bit at a time.

irishlady
January 23rd, 2012, 07:24 PM
lol thanks everyone, it's funny reading about your mistakes :)

Zefyra
January 23rd, 2012, 07:30 PM
I always have baby hairs around my forehead that are about 3 inches long. When I was about 12 I decided that they looked weird with my grown out, larynx length bangs.. So I cut all my bangs that length. It didnt look terrible, really. Sort of the trendy (now, heh) little bitty bangs...
The hairdresser did a terrible job "fixing" it and Ive pretty much been doing my own hair since. XD

jessa
January 23rd, 2012, 07:37 PM
i allowed a housemate to cut a straight accross blunt fringe for me about 2 years ago and immediatly regretted it and havnt allowed a hairdresser to touch my fringe since then when ever i have had trims. i just pinned it up for months. its now down just past my chin hehe. im thinking of having a side swept fringe cut soon tho professionally around my cheeks. when growing out a fringe i reckon there is nothing like the feeling of tying up your hair and your fringe finally stays up in the 'do'

Mesmerise
January 23rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
I remember once during a textiles class I let my friend cut my fringe... bad mistake... it was waaaay too short and I looked riciulous! Everyone said I looked nice, but I figure they were being kind :rolleyes:. Fortunately, it grew back to normal fairly fast!

Another time (not me this time!) we turned up for a friend's birthday party, and one of the girls had a really short fringe... I mean... spiked short. We asked her what had happened and apparently she'd cut her own fringe, but hadn't been able to get it straight...so she kept cutting... and cutting... lol.

Generally though, I used to cut my own and did a reasonably good job ;).

door72067
January 23rd, 2012, 09:11 PM
years ago...Mindy (on Mork & Mindy...how's that for *dating* myself??) had these really pretty face-framing bits and I thought I could do it myself

instead of pretty, blended bits, I cut them hacked straight across in steps

I had to pin it back in barrettes until it grew out to a length that wouldn't have looked even worse when cut *properly* to blend with my shoulder-length hair

owlathena
January 23rd, 2012, 09:12 PM
I've done it many many many times. In a couple of weeks I bet it will be perfect. In the mean time you have an excuse to wear pretty pins!

jacqueline101
January 23rd, 2012, 09:14 PM
I did this a few trims ago when I cut my top layer that gives my fringe a pixie like effect too short it looked really bad like I had layers.

jackie75
January 24th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Many, many times! Just last week I went in to get my hair trimmed so that it is all one length now. That went great...but the stylist did the worst job on my bangs. When I got home and brushed my bangs straight, there was a bunch of pieces that were longer than the other, and the short pieces were in the middle of my forehead!! :( I had to even them out, and managed to accidentally snip off to far to the side. UGH!!

So, yet again, I look like Spock. Thank goodness for head bands.

My bangs where just starting to look nice again too!

PixieKitten
January 24th, 2012, 06:32 AM
I did this a few months ago, I ended up give myself a major side parting and sweeping hair over the fringe to hide it! It's just past my nose now, I'm hoping to grow it out completely!

Oksana
January 24th, 2012, 08:18 AM
I grew my fringe out last year and then cut it back in just before Christmas. Although I liked it for a few days I have decided that I want to grow it out again.

It's a pain but try to enjoy the growing out process. You can change the style as it grows. A month on and i can already sweep it into a side fringe :)

Redvelvetdragon
January 24th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I usually trim my fringe between hair appointments (I only really maintain trim a couple of times a year). The odd thing is that I always cut just at my eyebrows and for some reason later it creeps up half way up my forehead. I guess because I've cut there's less weight or whatever.

That's why I only snip a little to get it out of my eyes. I usually looks pretty good though. I like straight across so it's fairly uncomplicated.

hellucy
January 24th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Lol... I think most of us have at some point had a snip at our fringe/bangs or even the lengths & then regretted it. I personally have cut my hair on many occasions when it was bugging me only to then think 'b****r I shouldn't have done that'
My philosophy is that it doesn't matter what I do to it my hair will always grow back...eventually!:)

LyraS
January 24th, 2012, 02:47 PM
The first time i cut my bangs it was wet, and i cut it rather short too so you can only imagine how they fluffed up after they dried. I hated it, but it grew out quickly enough and ended up looking somewhat pretty.
Since then i do a much better job of it now. Though i am currently trying my best to let them grow out.

*Rose Red*
January 26th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I cut my fringe by myself from time to time, and I regret it always! but at least does the fringe grow out very fast...

MissHair
January 26th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Been there.. I've cut bangs about 10 times and regretting them all.... I said last time that it would be my last time!

ladonna
January 26th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Oh yeah every time I cut my fringe I regret it, and my hair grows soooooo slow right there. I don't like the look of no fringe on me, but when I do have a fringe it looks even worse especially since I gave up heat styling. I can't win

ScarlettAdelle
January 26th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I worked as a hairdresser for a while.... Nope... You're most definitely not alone.

longhairedlady
January 26th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I have done this too. Its was a mess. They were super short and like 1 inch thick. I immediately pulled them back with some mini clips and ignored them for the next 6 months. I will never do that again!

turtlelover
January 26th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I think everyone w/ bangs has had them too short at least once in their life. I like to trim mine myself for this very reason! With the wave in my hair, they SHRINK and stylists tend to forget this!

Jessykins
January 26th, 2012, 02:46 PM
ive done it, and more than once >_< its finally chin length now so its easier to braid into my hair. this is the third time im growing it out. the other times it was tickling my mouth and i attempted to shape it so it was side swept and i got big gaffa gaps so it looked awful and cut it. it was a bit higher than my eyebrows and looked awful. last time i hacked it back was almost half a year ago and its at the length it can be tucked behind my ears. i also have quite a thick fringe and not the wispy kind. now when i trim my fringe i take a bit off to even it up. once you stop worrying about how long it takes to grow back it'll soon be grown :)

cooklaezo13
January 26th, 2012, 02:59 PM
My mom trimmed my fringe when I was a kid. She trimmed it while my hair was wet, and when it dried, the hair bounced up and they fringe was waaay too short! It grows back quickly though.

Jessykins
January 27th, 2012, 06:49 AM
ohh yes, the dreaded fringe cut from parents, i almost forgot the time my step dad cut mine.....thats why my bangs are so thick..he pretty much gave me a half bowl cut! my fringe went from ear to ear and i remember saying hes cutting to much off because i had some of my longer hair in it XD my mother went absoluteness mental. needless to say he never cut a fringe again. luckily i was in primary school so not the same reaction if i was in secondary.

jacqueline101
January 29th, 2012, 09:17 AM
You're not alone. If they are short is there anyway to add a layer to the top of the bangs like pixie bangs. Some of them are short and choppy.

PianoPlaye
January 29th, 2012, 10:30 AM
At least you used proper scissors?
When I last trimmed my fringe, I used nail scissors. Not a good look. Especially the day before the School Photographer came.
Decades later, tender loving neglect means I have no fringe, and thanks to TLHC even the dratted wispies are getting on with the growing into real contributing hairs. :D
So right now, I absolutely get the Oh Darn & I urge you to hand the scissors over to someone for safe keeping, However, in another month, you'll be doing canny things & in another three you'll be on your way to meditating on trimming again! :couch:

Humbug
January 30th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I must confess that when I was about 7 or 8 I decided I hated my fringe and cut it off altogether with blunt scissors... Definitely something to regret! I had to culture a side parting to hide the little buzz cut I had given myself. What was I thinking?!

Jessibear2854
January 30th, 2012, 03:24 PM
When I was wee I cut my fringe off. Completely! And all the hair off my doll.
Looked a right numpty.
Oddly enough my daughter also took scissors to her fringe when she was wee and hacked a big bit off.
At least hair grows back.

Haha. I did this too. Right before family portraits. My mom has never let me forget it either:p

KristinaLynn
January 30th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I've def done this before. Good thing is it will grow back really fast, just have to keep it pinned back for now, unfortunately.

heidi w.
January 30th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I myself have never hacked my hair off in apparent frustration or emotional turmoil, but I've read plenty here at LHC that have done so.

This is why LHC recommends the 2-week rule. If you have a hankering to cut or cut a style into your hair, then wait 2 weeks to see if after 2 weeks you still feel the same way. And meanwhile, talk to LHC folks to see if there's a better way to handle your frustration. There are lots of good ideas people here have. Just be patient for a reply. Almost everyone receives a reply, but if you're posting at 2 am, you might have to wait for a reply.

So be patient with yourself. Or call a friend to talk you down.

heidi w.

ssjhotau2
January 30th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I have never cut my hair in frustration- and I've never cut my own BANGS too short- but in an attempt to cut out my bleached ends I cut WAY too many layers into my hair and now- to even my hemline back up I need to cut back from Hip to lower BSL. :(
It's been over a month and I'm still very bummed about it. I have a very dramatic V hemline right now that is about half the thickness of a pencil for the last 2 inches. I'm still going to try to hold out for TBL and then cut up to Waist and start over.

It's a learning lesson- I'll never cut my own layers again (or probably any layers) :p and I've always been afraid of cutting my own bangs- I trimmed some face framing layers into my hair and I cut them too thick- just another thing I have to hope a stylist can fix.

gibsongirl71
January 30th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Don't feel bad! I did this about a month ago. My fringe had grown out to almost chin length and on a whim I decided to cut it again. Now I realize why I had let it grow out. Having hair on my face drives me crazy!

gibsongirl71
January 30th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I have never cut my hair in frustration- and I've never cut my own BANGS too short- but in an attempt to cut out my bleached ends I cut WAY too many layers into my hair and now- to even my hemline back up I need to cut back from Hip to lower BSL. :(
It's been over a month and I'm still very bummed about it. I have a very dramatic V hemline right now that is about half the thickness of a pencil for the last 2 inches. I'm still going to try to hold out for TBL and then cut up to Waist and start over.

It's a learning lesson- I'll never cut my own layers again (or probably any layers) :p and I've always been afraid of cutting my own bangs- I trimmed some face framing layers into my hair and I cut them too thick- just another thing I have to hope a stylist can fix.

I am totally feeling your pain! August 2011 I decided to go and get a light trim and also asked the stylist to thin out my hair just a little in the back. My hair grows out bushy and heavy. Well she thinned my hair down so much that my hemline and hair was just super thin and stringy. I was using thick hair only accessories before the cut. But on a happy note she barely touched the length. Also the other bright side was my curl really came back because there was no weight. It is starting to fill in again, but I am on the no haircuts for 2012 group.:)