View Full Version : Heat - how often?

DancingQueen
January 23rd, 2012, 02:41 PM
So, today I curled my hair for the first time with a curling iron. And it looked really nice, not nearly as frizzy as it usually is. Don't worry; I used the lowest setting and plenty of heat protecter, and I only held it there for 5-10 seconds or so. I was very careful.

Anyways, I started to wonder, how damaging it would be to use this every day? Lots of people do this, and their hair seems perfectly fine. So, I was just wondering how many of you guys are using heat on a regular basis? Please comment below as well :)

Amazinggrace
January 23rd, 2012, 02:47 PM
The only time I use heat is the very occasional blow dry in the winter. We are in a very cold part of the world, and there are some days that my hair hasn't dried from the night before and I have to go out. I will blow dry on those days, or I'll be cold all day from the freezing hair.

joflakes
January 23rd, 2012, 02:50 PM
I have little time to sit and wait for my hair to dry, so I tend to hairdry it.
I also straighten with heat protecting spray a few times a week.
Not ideal, but at this length it looks awful and I feel bad about myself otherwise.

raveness13
January 23rd, 2012, 03:00 PM
Almost never. I let my hair air dry and wear it up, so there's no need to straighten or curl my hair. Occasionally, I will straighten, but only for special occasions.

Amber_Maiden
January 23rd, 2012, 03:10 PM
Never use heat.

marymonster
January 23rd, 2012, 03:12 PM
Well I guess I'd say you could depending on how nice you are to your hair otherwise, like how often do you shampoo, do you trim, what type and how often do you condition, do you oil. If you really like it, play it by ear and see how well your hair does with it. I wouldn't suggest doing it more than once a week, but that's just me.

uptosomeone
January 23rd, 2012, 03:20 PM
I blowdry once every two-ish weeks and straighten about once a month (though never all over, usually just to curl a couple places that my bun "missed".

Kitsu
January 23rd, 2012, 03:29 PM
I only flat iron my hair on special occasions

I think I did it less than once a month for the whole of last year! and that was before I even joined LHC.

I never blow dry, I never figured out how to do it and make my hair nice. It always used to frizz up like anything.

My new rule will be to only use heat at the hair dressers which after the 1st of feb wont happen again for a very long time :3

hellokrilly
January 23rd, 2012, 03:29 PM
I use heat once every two weeks which is a lot lot less than what I used to which was every day,in between I condition,oil,protect (if it does help!),microtrim and dry it naturally!My hair is healthier,less dull,and I have less breakage!I want to grow it long so I will probably make it even spaced!I'm jealous of people using heating tools without damage!(because I know some!)

Torrin Paige
January 23rd, 2012, 03:40 PM
I had to pick other - and now I shall elaborate. :) I use heat once or twice a month. I only wash my hair once a week - and sometimes I blow it dry every other wash. So twice a month tops, but I usually end up blowing it out once a month or so. So far as the flat iron goes? If it didn't take so danged long to flat iron my hair, I'd probably do it more often - but as it stands I only flat iron around twice a year for very special occasions. I don't even bother with curling irons or hot rollers - my curls won't hold that way...I have to go for braid waves or soft rollers.

kidari
January 23rd, 2012, 03:43 PM
I didn't know which one to answer... I selected that I use it every day of the week but it's very misleading because I only use it on my bangs- I flat iron only my bangs in place daily. I used to use heat on my hair daily and over time your hair gets so damaged that the texture changes and it ONLY looks good if you heat style and coat it with coney products and hold it with sprays and such. Heat styled hair, ironically, only really looks best when done occasionally on healthy hair too. When you heat style damaged hair you are further damaging it every time you do it and it becomes more difficult to style it to mask the poor quality of the hair. I guess hair type also plays a factor in this. Maybe coarser hair is more resilient?

XcaliburGirl
January 23rd, 2012, 04:03 PM
I've never been in the habit of using heat, but it's not so much about damage as that I don't like to spend that much time on my hair.

Libbylou
January 23rd, 2012, 04:14 PM
If I shampoo in the morning I blow dry. I usually blow dry my bangs daily. I usually wash 5 or 6 times a week and have been trying to do it in the evening, and go to bed with wet hair.
My hair is only SL and my hair is in good shape so far. I do not condition, I use 2 drops of mineral oil while wet. My hair does not tangle very easy either. Guess I'm lucky that way.

A. Correira
January 23rd, 2012, 04:59 PM
I rarely ever use heat. When I use a hairdryer my hair looks and feels brittle. I don't really like to straighten it because it makes my hair very thin looking and it gets greasier quicker. I am naturally wavy haired with a few curls thrown into the mix and I feel that I look better that way. It balances out my face. If I liked straightening (like it used to everyday) I would do it, but my hair is so beautiful now. I am so happy with it's health.... now if only it stays this way when it gets to my goal length. haha

pepperminttea
January 23rd, 2012, 06:17 PM
Never. I'm too darn lazy for heat-styling, the lack of heat damage is just a bonus. :p

battles
January 23rd, 2012, 06:26 PM
No heat for me! I henna and I've heard of heat darkening hennaed hair. I'd rather not find out.

Nedertane
January 23rd, 2012, 07:02 PM
I picked other, because I didn't know what mine would average out to. I do use a blowdryer most days, but I've been very good about keeping it on the COLD setting. If I need heat that bad, I'll put in on warm for just a few seconds. Other than that, I don't use straighteners or curling irons, or anything else.

jojo
January 23rd, 2012, 07:38 PM
about twice a year, other than that I can't be bothered with it and I prefer my hair au natural!

chou
January 23rd, 2012, 08:25 PM
I blow dry my hair with a diffuser on low a few times a week when I wash it in the morning and need to get out the door before the sun rises. I don't really consider this heat styling in the same way that curling irons or flat irons or even blow dryers on high are because of the low levels of heat involved.
Just wanted to make that distinction clear and defend my beloved "blowfryer"! Frequent heat styling can be very damaging but I really don't think that moderate, sensible blow dryer use is.

Diamond.Eyes
January 23rd, 2012, 08:30 PM
Heat is a no-no for me as well. I haven't used it in years, with the exception of a few rock concerts. :rockerdud lol
I'll never use it again though.

einna
January 23rd, 2012, 08:52 PM
I rarely/never use heat on my hair. I only had a short flat iron period as a teenager, and that fried my hair badly (I do have fragile hair). I am to lazy to blowdry anyways, and just prefer no heat. I used to let hairdressers blowdry my hair, and I dont think that gave me much damage (?), but now I cut my own hair.

aisha.christine
January 23rd, 2012, 08:57 PM
Never. I don't like the way it makes my hair feel, plus I am way too lazy to do that every morning. Throw my hair in a clip, that's more of my speed. :p

Creatureling
January 23rd, 2012, 09:04 PM
I let hair dressers blow dry my hair when I'm getting a trim (on low heat and with a diffuser), but that's it. My hair simply can't hold up to being curled or straightened.

Renate
January 23rd, 2012, 09:05 PM
NEVER ever ever ever ever

LittleOrca
January 23rd, 2012, 09:22 PM
I use heat on my hair only to blow dry and that is only when it's cold outside or I have to get to bed asap (since sleeping with wet hair gives me a headache in the morning).

bubblyredhead
January 23rd, 2012, 09:30 PM
I use heat on my hair every day... on my bangs... and on the lowest setting (170F) the rest of the hair might get touched up if there is one random piece flipping out or annoying me. I air dry, oil, deep condition and co wash. I figure I plan on keep my bangs and they get trimmed regularly so by the time they are really getting kinda dry the ends are being snipped.

Kamir0
January 23rd, 2012, 10:24 PM
I used to blow-dry after washing, but I haven't since joining. Also, I used to flat-iron my fringe to style it, but there's no need anymore as I'm growing it out.

Helix
January 23rd, 2012, 10:29 PM
I used heat thrice last year. And once this year.

Ishje
January 24th, 2012, 12:08 AM
I use heat only once in a while, at most twice a year.

Andraste
January 24th, 2012, 01:41 AM
My hair is made of cheese, so it will melt if I use heat! :p

habioku
January 24th, 2012, 01:50 AM
For special occation I sometimes use a curling iron, but only 1 or 2 times a year. In winter, I sometimes blow dry my hair, but only at the cold setting, therefore it doesn't count :D

Henrietta
January 24th, 2012, 01:58 AM
I use it once a year, maybe twice, but I don't think so. It's straightening for a special occasion :)

hellucy
January 24th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Until recently I would blow dry my hair virtually everyday (on a low/med setting) I have since 'seen the light' & now only use my dryer once or twice a week, It has made a huge difference my hair used to be quite dry, but not any more!
The only thing I miss is that my straight hair sits quite flat & has very little root volume when air dried but I'm learning to live with it for the sake of my hairs health.

Hiriel
January 24th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Never. I'm too darn lazy for heat-styling, the lack of heat damage is just a bonus. :p

Exactly! Besides, when I blowdry my hair (which, to be fair, last happened some time in elementary school) it feels all frizzy and weird. My hair behaves better when airdried.

freckles
January 24th, 2012, 04:32 AM
It depends what you count as 'heat'. I don't use a flatiron or curling tongs. I do blowdry my hair though, anywhere from once a week to not using a blowdryer for months. It probably averages out somewhere around once a month, but that's a guesstimate -- and I keep it on 'warm' (actually pretty hot, but not as hot as the hot setting!) and 'cool'.

MonaLisa
January 24th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Very rarely...When it is really cold and I have to go out and have no time.
Sometimes I go out with wet hair and a hat too...so it makes it very very rare indeed ( only at winter and once a month or less)
Even then I'll rather use cool setting..

I did flat iron for New Year's Eve :o but on 140 degrees and just a bit.

ElusiveMuse
January 24th, 2012, 06:04 AM
I quit using regular heat about 2 1/2 years ago, and I've missed it ever since. My natural texture just isn't as nice, although I have learned to work with it and only use heat for very special occasions now. I've used it maybe 3 times since I gave it up.

I would never blow dry my hair. I would let it air dry and then flat iron/curl it. I only did it about 2 or 3 times per week but it did take its toll. My hair is pretty damaged from it, I think.

rock007junkie
January 24th, 2012, 06:35 AM
I use heat maybe 3 times a year. 2 of those during December for my holidays and the other time....maybe for my birthday or my son's birthday

didrash
January 24th, 2012, 06:41 AM
I do not use curlers or a flat iron, but I have to blow dry my hair in the winter, it takes hours tyo air dry naturally in cold weather.

Nev
January 24th, 2012, 07:56 AM
I picked 3 times a week. But I only blowdry my bangs and the top layers (which are about chin length) The rest of the length I let airdry, which is waist length. I've got tons of layer :)
oh and I use a heat protectant from got2b, it's really good! I also flat iron for special occasions.
I don't feel bad about using the heat tools because I'm not planning on growing it much longer (just 2 more inches) and I trim regularly.

LadyCelestina
January 24th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Well,to tell the truth,I rarely blow-dryed my hair through all my life and now that I am on LHC,I do it even less,almost close to never,since I don't blow dry my lenght,only the roots to get them dry enought to look presentable and I did that like...twice this year :)

Avital88
January 24th, 2012, 10:07 AM
im proud to say i rarely use heat on my hair anymore, i used to be a flatiron addict 2 years ago..Also blowdrying with a round brush was something i did a lot.I'm thinking about flatironing my hair in some months for a special occasion because it just looks way longer and very smooth when straight but its not something i like to do many times a year, i love my wurls:)

Goldenberry
January 24th, 2012, 10:40 AM
The only times I use heat on my hair is when I go to a hairdresser...which is very seldom (once or tice a year, but I'm planning to start trimming my hair by myself). Other than that I might blow dry my hair like twice a year if I'm in a hurry and my hair is drenched.

white.chocolate
January 24th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I have to blow-dry my bangs or sometimes my hair during winter when I'm freezing at home. Does it count?

Carissamarie08
January 24th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I use heat when I am doing something and am not working..so like 3 times a week. but I have an amazing heat defender spray.

TiffanieJean
January 24th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I blowdry my hair almost every time I get out of the shower. I live in Maine and it's just too cold right now to let it air dry...

Most of the time I use the cool setting and just do the roots and the rest until it's 1/2 dry.

About 2 or 3 time's a month I do a Blow-out and use a thermal mousse, heat protectant and the medium setting. After I get my hair all huge and dry I curl it the next day. You have to use heat protectant liberally, but I have fine hair so I still get some damage.
I'm looking for a better heat protectant, but I think getting a little damage is worth the end result.

TiffanieJean
January 24th, 2012, 12:10 PM
I use heat when I am doing something and am not working..so like 3 times a week. but I have an amazing heat defender spray.

What do you use???

lapushka
January 24th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Once to twice a week (every 5 days or so), my hair gets dried with a blowdryer, on a slightly warm setting though (not hot). I don't like my hair being wet for hours on end.

xHeather
January 25th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I've been a whole month with no heat now! At the beginning of last year I would flat iron my hair 3-4 times per week. I stopped flat ironing after I got a cut with a ton of layers that made the back difficult, so I gave up on it. Then I found LHC and I slowly cut out all the heat (minus hair salon, but that's maybe 2x per year).

JuliaDancer
January 25th, 2012, 09:37 PM
In winter I blow dry on low, holding the dryer away from my head, moving it around constantly. Otherwise, I let it air dry. I haven't flat ironed it in almost a year, and I only use the curling iron on the layers/bangs in front. To curl the rest of my hair, I use sponge rollers on wet hair, and will use the hair dryer to speed up drying a bit for a couple minutes and let it air dry the rest of the way overnight.

xoxophelia
January 25th, 2012, 11:11 PM
I don't heat style anymore. I very rarely did after I joined LHC but now if I want it to look good down I just use another method (let my natural wave dry, buns curls, braid waves, large rollers)

Silverdragn7385
January 26th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Every day.

Ravenwind
January 26th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I used to straighten my hair everyday and didn't see the damage until about 2 years later. I also wasn't thinking about taking proper care of my hair and rarely used heat protectants, so my hair ended up fried and damaged. I stopped straightening a year ago and my hair is still fried (because it's in my shortest layers and I don't want to chop them off and be left with super short hair, sometimes I do out of frustration :P) and NOTHING will fix it. I have straightened it a few times out of curiousity to see how my hair looks, and it looks terrible. So I just leave it natural. Anyway, I kinda think no matter how careful you are with heat, it will still cause damage. It just doesn't show up for a while, with repeated use of course. :)

Jessykins
January 26th, 2012, 11:44 AM
i very rarely use heat on my hair, if my hair needs a wash and its close to a day im going somewhere then ill wash it on that day and blow dry it straight. and i save straightening for special occasions like christmas XD

Mannaz
January 26th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I voted other since in winter I sometimes use the blowdryer, maybe once in two weeks, and I never do it the whole way, only to shorten the drying time, so my hair is always damp after blowdrying. I have never used the flat iron...

emeraldfaery
January 27th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I never got into using heat. My hair is already straight enough and it won't hold a curl to save it's life. Plus I live in a humid climate and the curls just fall out. So...I never use heat.

B-L
January 27th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Maybe twice a year.

Ligeia_13
January 27th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Never :)

I used to flat iron my hair almost every day when I was 15. Shudder.

nala89
January 29th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I use a hair dryer a few times a year but not even once a month. Also I quit using a hair straightener since my hair looks great afterwards but everytime I used it my hair broke :( So I gave it up.

HairCareJunkie
January 29th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I wash my hair twice a week and afterwards I let it airdry (except when I'm in a hurry) and then I use my beloved CHI flatiron. :demon:

Now I'm trying to cut back to once a week (or less)... I wish I could cut this nasty habit as I know it's very damaging but I just hate my wavy & frizzy hair.:wail:

arielįgua
January 29th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I usually blow dry on the lowest heat, during winter times...
I love my hair, but I don't want to die from illness xD

mira-chan
February 14th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Absolutely never. I never have in my life. Not really tempted into starting now. It seems like too much work anyway.

hairyfan21
February 14th, 2012, 08:36 AM
I blow dry my head all the time. It feels nice and warm right after I wash my hair every morning. I guess I can be thankful my hair isn't long and I no longer plan to grow it longer. I don't want to deal with damaged hair either but I will not give up blow-drying my head every morning. I feel nice and warm and clean after I wash my hair and blow dry my head in the morning, gives me that extra step!

SC
February 18th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I know that my hair is dry because of this but I do it 4-5 times a week. I've tried alternative methods to curl my hair but it always ends up being so messy if I don't use heat.

melusine963
February 19th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I donated my hair straightener to my sister over a year ago, and haven't used it since. Now I only blow dry my hair on average two or three times a year, when it's freezing cold in my house (I live in the UK where people can't build decent houses to save themselves) and I get fed up and don't feel like waiting 24 hours for it to dry on its own. Usually I just remind myself of what a difference this makes to the number of split ends I find and it makes it all worth while.

auroraclio
February 19th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I usually end up blow drying my hair once a week, sometimes twice. It's way too cold outside to go out with wet hair and I shower in the mornings.

Oksana
February 19th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I will blow dry if I am time limited, this happens maybe once or twice a month. I used to straighten my hair twice a day but haven't done that for nearly two years :cheer:

Amarante
February 19th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I have been heat-free for a year now. My hair has been a lot healthier since I quit using it.

Pecheresse
February 19th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I can't imagine I used it so often in the past.
Nowadays,my hair looks healthier so it just takes about an hour to dry naturally. Well, 2 hours max!

PixxieStix
February 19th, 2012, 05:28 PM
If I end up showering in the morning and my hair isn't dry by the time I want to head out the door in the wintertime, I'll blow dry, and this ends up being 1-3 times a month, always on a cool setting and on mostly dry hair anyway. Back in the day, I always used the blow-dryer on my hair after washing, without fail. Never was really into curling and I certainly don't need a flat iron with my straight hair. I think the last time I used a curling iron was in my avatar picture, and the next time won't be until my wedding in July. It always seemed like too much work. :D

Sillage
February 19th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I heat my hair a lot when I do my Aphogee 2 step. Sometimes I blow dry my hair if I wash my hair in the morning and it doesn't have enough time to dry before work. Otherwise I really make an effort not to use heat on my hair.

Words
March 17th, 2012, 04:01 AM
I never ues heat on my hair, because my hair gets all frizzy.