PDA

View Full Version : silver chain without damage?

Katze
July 16th, 2008, 06:09 AM
This may seem odd, but I really want to be able to wear jewelry chains again without damaging my hair.

I used to wear a chain all the time, and my nape hair would always get tangled in it, then more hair would wrap around the tangle, basically causing a Big Hair NoNo.

The same thing, incidentally, happens with knotted leather thong necklaces.

What can I do to be able to wear necklaces again? I was thinking of putting wax over the points where the clasps connect...but figured I would ask you all before doing something stoopid to my lovely silver and platinum jewelry.

Thanks!

Katze

Silver & Gold
July 16th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I've heard of a few solutions besides wax. Look at the necklace and see where the pulled hairs are. Sometimes the loop is open enough to catch hairs and you can close it.
If the problem goes beyond this then other options I've heard include, wrapping clear tape around the clasp area (although if the tape becomes even a little loose it could catch hairs) or using clear tubing such as used for aquariums. You put this on the necklace and slide it over the clasp after you've fastened it. But both of these options don't sound very attractive and the tubing itself could possibly grip hair.
I wonder if putting your hair up helps at all?
Of all the solutions for the necklace itself, I think I would tend to make certain the loops were all closed tight around the clasp and then dip it in wax just as you intend. I imagine you would have to repeat this on occasion since the wax would eventually wear off.
I don't wear necklaces often but I do remember how nasty it can be if your hair gets stuck in the chain. OUCH!! And very bad for the condition of the hair if you do it often.

Isilme
July 16th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Try to put your hair up and oil the nape hairs:) And the plastic tube idea Silver & Gold talked about seems like a very good idea! I have to try that one myself someday.

sexyjacksparrow
July 16th, 2008, 06:39 AM
This is an interesting post as it's something I was going to ask as well. I have this problem with a number of my necklaces - particularly a lovely one my husband bought me for my birthday last year. I just cannot wear it if my hair is down. I can wear it if my hair is up but I don't really like wearing my hair up so don't wear it that way often.

Kerry xx

Nat242
July 16th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Is the hair getting caught around the clasp? It a ring/hoop clasp, or a beak clasp? I find that I rarely get tangles from parrot/beak clasps, but YMMV. Clasps can be changed quite easily by a manufacturing jeweller, but you'd want to experiment first to make sure it will help.

-- Natalie

ETA: This is probably obvious, but jewellery should be the last thing you put on, and the first thing you take off when getting dressed/undressed. If you're going to wear your hair down, put it up whilst you're putting your necklace on so nothing gets caught. Also, the type of chain can make a difference, but that's only relevant if you're shopping for new necklaces, not trying to wear ones you have.

harley mama
July 16th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I had to stop wearing my favorite chain. My hair was getting all wrapped up in it and it was heck to get loose. My solution was to go necklace free. I tend to take the path of least resistance!

Periwinkle
July 16th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I'm a jewellery addict and I always wear a necklace, yet I've never had any trouble with it getting tangled apart from when I have my hair hanging down (loose, or in the case of rope necklaces where you pull the knots to change the size, a ponytail).

Darkhorse1
July 16th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Ok, this is really weird. I just put on my necklace and got my hair caught in it. It's the clasp that I find is the problem. I wear a silver necklace, and the chain is a box link. I've had the least problems with this link over any other. Hope that helps?

Katze
July 17th, 2008, 03:07 AM
thanks you guys!

The clasps on the silver and platinum chains I have are shaped like an egg; you press on a lever and the egg-shaped 'loop' opens up to catch the ring.

Nat242, I like to put a chain on and wear it constantly. for me, that's the whole point of it...like my sliver hoop earrings, some of which have been in for over a decade. Low-maintenance jewelry. I can't imagine taking it all out and putting it back in every morning!

The other problem is that yes, I mostly wear my hair down. I am growing my long hair to enjoy it, darn it, and it looks (and I look) SO much better with hair down. The longer and healthier it gets, the better. I am very careful with it, put it up for biking or when the wind is blowing, but indoors at work or home my hair is down 90% of the time. My hair looks good - why should I hide it in 'dos I don't like?

Updos and I have a battle going on and it's not just that they make me look dumpy and old and make my hair look thin and accentuate the yellow bleached ends. It's also that my hair is so frizzy, and has so many layers, that I have to take it down and put it back up no matter what kind of updo I wear, unless I oil it into slickness. Add to this that my nape hair is very poofy and frizzy in comparison to the rest of my hair, and fans out at the back of my neck in a lobster-tail shape, and the overall result is that updos are only a 'last resort' for me.

Hence the necklace problem, no matter what I do, a chain comes in contact with my hair. :confused:

Since joining LHC I stopped wearing my jewelry chains. My frizzy, fragile, kinky nape hairs are now about 6 inches long - they would not grow before. I want them to grow so they can eventually stay in an updo, but I do like wearing a chain with a small pendant and wearing it for several days or weeks.

julya
July 17th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I know that some types of chains are more hair friendly. My mom's worn a gold necklace for years, never takes it off at all, and her hair never seems to get tangled in it. I believe it's a box style chain, a rather thick, heavy one compared to one I would wear, with the same type of clasp as your necklace has Katze.

Maybe it's time to go jewelry shopping?

TammySue
July 17th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I wear a platinum rolo chain and had the heart pendant soldered on right next to the lobster clasp, so that the clasp always stays in the front. Since the chain has some weight to it, the heart/clasp stay near the front and I haven't had any problems with it catching in my hair. HTH!

Isilme
July 17th, 2008, 04:09 AM
chains like this one is THE evil for my hair: http://www.madaboutjewellery.com/acatalog/snakechain.jpg

But chains like this: http://jewelryfromhome.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/silver-chain-with-leaves-and-blue-pearls-lariet2.jpg and pretty much everything else is ok. Just in case someone out there is shopping for new ones;)

Katze
July 17th, 2008, 05:50 AM
yes, Isilme, your first link is the same type of chain as I have. I remember chains being different back in the 80s, but now all mine are this type. And they are totally hair evil!

Delenn
July 17th, 2008, 06:04 AM
I wear a platinum rolo chain and had the heart pendant soldered on right next to the lobster clasp, so that the clasp always stays in the front. Since the chain has some weight to it, the heart/clasp stay near the front and I haven't had any problems with it catching in my hair. HTH!

I was going to suggest this, too. Once my hair got longer I really didn't have problems with it anymore. But if you like the clasp in the back could you put a small piece of fabric tape around it? Like the surgical kind maybe?

Juanita
July 17th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Try wearing your clasps on the side of your neck rather than the back. Iwear three chains round my neck and rarely have a problem. The 18ct one has a round clasp, 1 22ct one has a parrot clasp and the other 22ct one has an "S" type clasp.

physicschick
July 17th, 2008, 07:45 AM
chains like this one is THE evil for my hair: http://www.madaboutjewellery.com/acatalog/snakechain.jpg

But chains like this: http://jewelryfromhome.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/silver-chain-with-leaves-and-blue-pearls-lariet2.jpg and pretty much everything else is ok. Just in case someone out there is shopping for new ones;)

That's been exactly my experience lately. My nape hairs keep getting stuck in the snake chain even if my hair is up. I've had a lot fewer problems with the chain made from many little rings, whatever it's called.