PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Hair?

Hypatia415
January 23rd, 2012, 01:32 PM
I know that heat is bad for hair, but I have the opposite problem. The winters where I live get very cold. I swim to exercise, and the pool I swim at is within walking distance of my house. On the walk back from the pool, my still-damp hair freezes into little hair icicles! I don't want to blow dry my hair, and I don't want to drive such a short distance (literally about 5 minutes). Even if I wear a hat, the ends freeze. Is this damaging? What should I do?

Madora
January 23rd, 2012, 01:36 PM
I'd try and remove as much of the water as possible, then place a scarf around the head, then the hat.

You might try bundling the damp hair in a t-shirt first, then the scarf, then the hat. Your hair should not be subject to extremes if you can possibly avoid it.

Amazinggrace
January 23rd, 2012, 01:49 PM
I agree with Madora.

I'm sure you've already thought if this, but why not use a swim cap?

Maybe you could try a snood, like this (http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?productid=9064&groupid=30) with a regular stocking cap over that.

Viscountess
January 23rd, 2012, 01:54 PM
I've frozen my hair a lot - its not particularly damaging as long as you don't handle your hair in the frozen state! It will break!

Just let it thaw out normally and treat the now wet hair gently. It should be fine.

ktani
January 23rd, 2012, 02:20 PM
It is really cold and you love to walk the distance and swim.

The simplest solution to me would be to invest in a down coat/jacket with a fur or faux fur trimmed hood. You can wear your hat inside the hood.

You will be warm, your hair protected and it is an investment as it will last you a long time. Lots of sales around now too - retail is suffering.

You can by the fiberfill versions too but they are not as warm.

jojo
January 23rd, 2012, 02:22 PM
I agree with Madora.

I'm sure you've already thought if this, but why not use a swim cap?

Maybe you could try a snood, like this (http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?productid=9064&groupid=30) with a regular stocking cap over that.

a swim hat??? wouldn't just wearing a bigger hat just work? like if its windy and her hat blew off......well you know!!!:D

Amazinggrace
January 23rd, 2012, 02:45 PM
a swim hat??? wouldn't just wearing a bigger hat just work? like if its windy and her hat blew off......well you know!!!:D

A swim cap, for while she is swimming so her hair will stay dry. :)

http://www.amazon.com/White-Floral-Emboss-Vintage-Bathing/dp/B000SSGBHA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327355017&sr=8-3

jojo
January 23rd, 2012, 02:57 PM
A swim cap, for while she is swimming so her hair will stay dry. :)

http://www.amazon.com/White-Floral-Emboss-Vintage-Bathing/dp/B000SSGBHA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327355017&sr=8-3
LOL!! i thought you meant whilst walking around outside in the cold weather, totally misread that..was thinking of a famous person who said "who loves ya baby!!!!! ROFL!!!!!

jacqueline101
January 23rd, 2012, 03:11 PM
I'd wear a swimming cap and try to dry as much as you can that way the hair won't freeze. Its hard to keep hair completely dry when you're in water.

Hypatia415
January 23rd, 2012, 11:02 PM
I do actually wear a swim cap! Unfortunately, the main purpose of a swim cap is to keep a swimmer's hair out of his or her face and to make the swimmer more streamlined in the water, decreasing drag. They don't actually keep your hair dry! At best, it is quite damp when finished, and always thoroughly saturated with chlorine, so I almost always either rinse or condition after swimming. I think I will try putting all my hair in a hat as Madora suggested... thanks folks!

einna
January 24th, 2012, 12:56 AM
I second putting your hair in a hat. I try to do this all winter, wet hair or not. I just bun it and put my hat on. Nothing fancy.

BlazingHeart
January 24th, 2012, 03:27 AM
A nice slouchy beret could hold all of your hair, as long as it's designed for that (they tend to be a bit bigger and have a slightly wider band than ones your hair isn't meant to go in).

Naphthylamine
January 24th, 2012, 04:09 AM
I agree with the scarf and hat over the scarf suggestions above. In addition to that, you can get some heat packs (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Gel-Reusable-Hand-Warmer/dp/B000MU4IJ2) and put it in the scarf/hat while wrapping your head.

ptricia
January 24th, 2012, 02:44 PM
The north of europe is also cold. My hair also frozen often. A knitted hat will help. But if your hair gets frozen try not touching it. Go inside and just wait, don't comb your hair while frozen. Don't get a blowdryer to un freeze the hair.

spidermom
January 24th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Get yourself a nice floppy tam so that your hair will fit inside. I have an angora tam, and it insulates so well that there's no way my wet hair would ever freeze.

Using a coat with a hood and keeping your hair inside it should work, too.

One think I wouldn't do is let my hair freeze. I think it would cause damage to the cuticle (water expands as it freezes).

akurah
January 25th, 2012, 03:38 AM
My theory is that the physical damage caused by freezing is very likely going to be similar to the physical damage caused by flat ironing--makes me wish I had tool to confirm this.

UP Lisa
January 25th, 2012, 07:10 AM
My hair is baby-fine. I try not to let it freeze, since I think it would break off easily.

Alix
January 25th, 2012, 07:19 AM
I tuck my hair into my jacket and put my hood up.

Sushi144
January 25th, 2012, 04:02 PM
At best, it is quite damp when finished, and always thoroughly saturated with chlorine, so I almost always either rinse or condition after swimming.

And if you wait to be home to rinse ?

Cool username by the way ! Is it your real name ?