PDA

View Full Version : How to wear hair up?

cuties
January 23rd, 2012, 11:27 AM
Ok, I'm pretty ignorant about different hairstyles and I currently wear my hair either down or in a low lying pony tail. I have shoulder length hair - very few layers left now (an inch down from shoulder on the back). I want to grow my hair long till BSL and what I read here is wearing it up prevents damage, so am looking for some tips on wearing my hair up. I don't use any heat and don't dye my hair except using henna 3 3 times a year. Also, my hair is thin (overall thickness isn't much). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance to all you wonderful ladies.

B-L
January 23rd, 2012, 11:34 AM
There are lot of styles under Articles, especially buns and braids. I'll go there for inspiration..

Madora
January 23rd, 2012, 11:45 AM
Gibson Tuck:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=49

You might also want to investigate: sock bun, peacock twist, French twist, or a half up with a small Flexi 8.

Always be SURE to detangle your hair with a wide tooth comb before experimenting with hairstyling.

jacqueline101
January 23rd, 2012, 11:55 AM
I like creating my own hair styles. I'd do something with a pony tail then braid your hair tuck the ends under and top with a barrett. You can fold the end of the braid up and place the barrett on the ends to hold the hair.

spidermom
January 23rd, 2012, 12:08 PM
The easiest at your length (my go-to style at that length) is to gather your hair like you're going to make a ponytail, but twist it a few times, lift the ends to the back of your head, and secure with a claw clip. You can tuck the ends or leave them free.

I liked the french twist at that length, too.

jojo
January 23rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
The easiest at your length (my go-to style at that length) is to gather your hair like you're going to make a ponytail, but twist it a few times, lift the ends to the back of your head, and secure with a claw clip. You can tuck the ends or leave them free.

I remember you advising me the very same 4.5 years ago and it was my to go style too, sorta miss that style!

sazzie88
January 23rd, 2012, 01:50 PM
Ok, I'm pretty ignorant about different hairstyles and I currently wear my hair either down or in a low lying pony tail. I have shoulder length hair - very few layers left now (an inch down from shoulder on the back). I want to grow my hair long till BSL and what I read here is wearing it up prevents damage, so am looking for some tips on wearing my hair up. I don't use any heat and don't dye my hair except using henna 3 3 times a year. Also, my hair is thin (overall thickness isn't much). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance to all you wonderful ladies.

You sound like my hair twin, I have fine shoulder lenngth hair.

The styles I love at the moment are, low French plait.
Hair twisted from both sides of front of head going into a side bun/ messy do.
A sock bun

Half up half down with the ponytail in a Chinese bun ( braided and bunned)
I love to try new styles out I look at google images for inspiration and then put my own stamp on it, usually with an accessory. :):)

QMacrocarpa
January 24th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I think the tucked French braid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSBAqxQCNKk) looks very spruce!

For ease of putting up, a big octopus clip (http://www.amazon.com/Scunci-No-slip-Grip-Octopus-Count/dp/B001SXPSD2) makes a good bun-cage at shorter lengths, and requires no real "technique," you just gather your hair into a wad and put the clip over it.

cuties
January 24th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks you all for the replies. I will give some of them a try. I tried the sock bun but couldn't do it as I still have some layers and hair kept popping out. I liked the french braid spruce too.

I totally forgot about this one. I do it at home sometimes, will try wearing it for work as well.

Shell
January 24th, 2012, 09:58 AM
The French Twist is perfect for your length, and so is the Gibson Tuck. A crown braid works at your length, as do other braids. To keep your ends from sticking out so much, try styling it when it's damp. Also, using oil, hair butters, braid wax, or even just conditioner on it before styling should also help with the wispies. Best of luck.

cuties
January 24th, 2012, 10:10 AM
The French Twist is perfect for your length, and so is the Gibson Tuck. A crown braid works at your length, as do other braids. To keep your ends from sticking out so much, try styling it when it's damp. Also, using oil, hair butters, braid wax, or even just conditioner on it before styling should also help with the wispies. Best of luck.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will look them up.

P.S. You hair in the siggie is what I am dreaming of though I have dark brown hair, but the length and the way it looks. aww.. so pretty.

white.chocolate
January 24th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Because of your layers, I have the idea of a single accent braid on on side that is kind of in the middle of your front and behind. Rather anime-ish, I'd say. Previous posters had written what came into my mind. What about using barrettes, etc. for half-ups?

cuties
January 25th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Thanks all. Looks like its time for me to go shopping for hair accessories :)

Sushi144
January 25th, 2012, 02:27 PM
There are also great tutorials on the internet... You can check Loepsie, Torrinpaige or Cutegirlshairstyle for exemple. They are my favorite. :)