PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with TB length hair wear it down most of the time?

LaceyNg
January 23rd, 2012, 09:05 AM
TB is my goal length (for now, at least), but i prefer to wear my hair down. however, i've never had hair past waist-- is it going to be difficult to wear down at TB length?

i know i'm going to have to make sure not to get it caught on straps and such-- but did those of with hair thats been than length find that constantly looking after your hair's "safety" kept you from enjoying it down?

Amber_Maiden
January 23rd, 2012, 09:08 AM
My hair is a couple of inches past waist and my goal is classic. I can say that at waist length I spend more time thinking about what could damage my hair when it's down, then when it is up and safe. That said, I do wear it down about 50% of the time. I want to enjoy it, and I'll probably feel the same when it's at classic.

Raponsje
January 23rd, 2012, 09:14 AM
Hello from the land between waist and tailbone. I find that wearing my hair down during the day is close to impossible. It has a life of it's own and is constantly stuck, snapping and grabbing hold of random items. So up during the day and down in the evening. While reading or watching tv the manes are at ease.

nobeltonya
January 23rd, 2012, 09:16 AM
I generally wear it down.. in the car, I keep it over my shoulder or to the side of my back [so I'm not leaning directly on it]. Outside, if I'm wearing a light jacket, I also wear it down [unless it's windy]. If I'm wearing my big winter jacket, static is horrible and I keep it up until I take it off. I at least keep it in a ponytail, unless I'm doing a lot of bending or stuff where it'll get in the way..

darklyndsea
January 23rd, 2012, 09:16 AM
When I was at tailbone (before LHC), I wore it in a ponytail all the time, but that's because I can't wear Voldemort all the way down if he's able to be ponytailed. In my area, I sometimes see people with TBL hair, and it's usually down. But it depends on how much you worry about damage to your hair, I guess.

Madora
January 23rd, 2012, 09:18 AM
Man, you'll have tangles like no tomorrow. Which means you'll need to detangle at least twice a day.

Also, it is constantly getting in the way, getting caught in things, or a possible danger (getting too near burners, for example).

Once in a while might be all right, but not on a daily basis.

Torrin Paige
January 23rd, 2012, 09:31 AM
I'm at TBL and I wear mine down quite a bit. When I'm just reading or relaxing at home it's down and when I'm shopping, if I haven't spent the morning playing with it and putting into some weirdly elaborate hairstyle, I will usually wear it down or in a half-up as well. However, if I'm doing things - cleaning house, cooking dinner, going to the gym - it goes up. Actual activity requires that it be up and out of the way because it will get into everything! If it is raining or windy outside, I also put it up. There's nothing like a blustery day to bring you to tears come detangling time. I keep my Tangle Teezer in my purse when I leave the house, because, like Madora says, you have to keep detangling during the day or by day's end it's really a pain in the tush.

So, in short, yes you can can wear it down as often as you like, but you'll realize that you're putting it up quite a bit to get it out of the way. :)

MonaLisa
January 23rd, 2012, 11:06 AM
I am almost TBL, very very near, and I mostly wear it down.
There are tangles, always been...but I had more tangles when my hair was shorter and I wasn't taking good care of it, than I have now with this length.
I wouldn't call it difficult, because I'm used to it and length came gradually and not over night...I really enjoy wearing it loose..

HintOfMint
January 23rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
My hair is hovering just above tailbone and I've been wearing it down most of the time. Unless, I'm running around or dancing, it doesn't tangle much on its own. I just have to be careful about keeping it out of my backpack straps.

So far, it's been fine.

princessp
January 23rd, 2012, 11:43 AM
Mine is past TB (not classic yet) and I barely ever wear mine down. this is mostly because I have a professional job and I feel wearing my hair down is too casual. I might do a half up occasionally though. When I'm at home I try to wear it down as much as I can, but it is often in a loose braid or something.

Foxy_Booker
January 23rd, 2012, 12:24 PM
I am between waist and TB and I find it very hard to wear my hair down. I only do on special occasions but even then I cant stop thinking about my hair. Everytime I get it caught on anything or it blows in the wind and gets tangles or any other unfavourable thing happens i cringe and get stressed out because I feel like I constantly have to protect my hair. It takes away from whatever I am doing because I am constantly worrying about my hair and everything that happens is inevitably causing a bit of damage.

I think if I wore it down more often I would get more used to it and stop worrying so much but then my hair would be subjected to more damage so I don't want to do that either.

When your hair gets long you should definately enjoy it down because thats part of the fun of having long hair but for me its a sacrifice I had to make.

Yame
January 23rd, 2012, 05:24 PM
Depending on your hair type it may be possible. I grew my hair to hip without ever putting it up. But my hair doesn't tangle or break easily, so that helped.

I find that now that I wear my hair up most of the time, it's very freeing. I don't have to keep worrying about it and trying to get it out of the way of things. Also, it's great not to worry about my hair shedding everywhere I go, which happens when it's down.

But I like the way I look better when I have it down, so on weekends (when I wash it) I keep it down.

I'm not a tailbone yet, but I expect my hair to be even more of a hassle then. Not impossible to wear down, but more of a hassle than it's worth on most days. Maybe what you need is to find a balance between wearing it up and down. Wear it up to work/school and/or around the house, but down to go out.

Kelikea
January 23rd, 2012, 05:45 PM
This is my almost grazing BC length hair. It is ok down for the day if its not too windy or physically active. Just hanging out with friends or shopping, its fine. It does better with a little coconut oil or conditioner left in and combed on the underside every couple of hours to stop tangles from forming.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=123672&albumid=8987&dl=1326498844&thumb=1

Delila
January 23rd, 2012, 09:29 PM
My hair's the kind that gets floaty, so even the slightest movement, not just actual breezes, would be enough to make it tangle and blow around.

I do wonder if people with coarser/thicker hair strands have better success wearing it down at longer lengths?

torrilin
January 24th, 2012, 10:36 AM
My hair is fine and floaty. I mostly grow my hair long so I don't *have* to wear it down.

And yes, it definitely seems to me that coarser hair is much less likely to drive the wearer mad when worn down. My sister in law is M, and she wears her hair down more than I do (tho still not a lot). The mom in our knitting group is another finey, and like me she can't stand hair down. She's a huge snood fan. And the other woman in our knitting group has fairly coarse TB length hair, so she doesn't really wear it up a lot in a planned way... tho as a science geek, she does always have a ponytail holder or something so she can braid it or ponytail it safely out of the way of lab equipment.

Avital88
January 24th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Me Me Me:)

I should wear it up more because it gets between zippers stuck between bags etc etc
I rarely wear my hair up, im too cold then..
So yea its possible but its better to wear it up:)

gothic_lady
January 24th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I wear my hair down most of the time. Especially during summer, I love how it feels on my skin and I love being dressed up in hair,if I can describe it like that :) I know it damages the hair, but I try taking as much care as I can. That's why I gave up dying and completely changed my hair care routine. I know it would be better to wear it up as much as possible, but I enjoy feeling it around me :)

Phalaenopsis
January 24th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I almost had tailbone a while ago (92 cm, tailbone was 95 cm). I wore it loose all the time. Only for sports it's annoying and had to be braided. It could be a bit annoying for other things, but it was manageable.

Sushi144
January 25th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I'm about 87 cm (34 in) and I wear my hair down a lot. But it's dead straight, so when it's not windy it's not too tangly.

Elayne
January 25th, 2012, 08:16 PM
I wear my hair down very nearly all the time. Yes, it gets far more splits than it probably otherwise would from all the extra wear and tear, but I like it down, so thats how I wear it. Only time it really bothers me is when I'm outside and it is unexpectedly windy. So yes, it is possible to have fine, TB (or classic) length hair and wear it down most of the time.

I think much of it is just a matter of if you wear it down often, you learn how to deal with your hair without even thinking about it, make automatic movements to keep your hair out of whatever is you are doing.