PDA

View Full Version : Indigo

DolphinPrincess
March 14th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I was just wondering if there is anything you can add to indigo to make it 'stretch' and last longer. I know you can use yogurt in henna, but can you do the same with indigo?? My hair is only 21" long, but it soaks up anything liquidy like no other. I've been a two-step henna/indigo, and the last several times I've had to use 200g of indigo to thoroughly cover my hair, and then it still tends to not be enough.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mahars
March 14th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Ooh yes I am wondering about this too. I usually use 200 grams of indigo and 100 grams of henna. It gets expensive when you have to use that much for one application!

sibylla
March 15th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I know that you can seal the henna colour by finishing with ACV (after colouring). I guess it works with Indigo too. At least it prevents the color from bleeding on towels.

physicschick
March 15th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I think I've seen people talk about adding honey to indigo. Apparently it spreads better that way. I don't know amounts, but you could check hennaforhair or experiment on your own.

Also, I might have seen CMC (carboxymethylcellulose?) used as a thickener. I guess then you could use less indigo and just thicken it to the desired consistency. Again, I know nothing, so you'd have to research details on your own. :silly:

DolphinPrincess
March 15th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Ooh, has anyone tried using pectin in their indigo?? I know it works well with henna (have never tried it myself though) but wasn't sure if it would still work with the indigo.

Celebrian
March 16th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I've only just seen this thread!

I always stretch my Indigo on a two step by adding cheap no'cone conditioner. It 'takes' perfectly well on my hair, and washes away at about the same rate as more concentrated applications, becoming permanent after about the 2nd or 3rd application.

I simply can't afford to use masses of it every time. Currently I put one heaped tablespoon into as much as I think I need at the time of cheapo conditioner. I suspect I could get away with even less Indigo. suppose I do a 'gloss' really, but it does work effectively for me.

My hair is fairly thick and bra strap length. I also have some grey to contend with... :magic: