PDA

View Full Version : Show us your Dreadlocks!

tiny_teesha
January 23rd, 2012, 12:43 AM
Oh hey, so I've been thinking if my hair never thickens up i'll try dreadlocks before I decide to be a pixie cutter/wig wearer for life.

So let's see some pretty dread lock photos of yourselves!!! (only if you want to please! )

I know some of you have had them in the past, but since there was a henna, and I made a crazy colour thread, (and I'm pretty sure I can speak for everybody when I say I think we all love looking at pretty pictures) that an official dreadlock thread should be started!

Thank you
:flower:

Veviticus
January 25th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Here I am:cheese:
My avatar is about a year old and I after a re-tightening a couple days ago, I have finally reached classic! I think that when all of my locks reach the end of my butt, I will start trimming.

DreadfulWoman
January 25th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Here are mine last October, just before I started brushing them out:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6644&pictureid=119397

They are 8 1/2-year-old neglect dreads started in shoulder length hair, and they had just barely reached classic length. I have to admit, even though I'm happy with my new hair, I do miss them a bit. :o

terryn
January 25th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Well! I am very pleasantly surprised! And happy to oblige! I have pics in my albums, but here's my most recent length shot - haven't uploaded it to LHC yet. This was taken for my dreads 1yr anniversary. Excited to see where this thread goes!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4694&pictureid=124892

Veviticus
January 26th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Everyone's dreadlocks look awesome!:eyebrows:

Lozzie
January 27th, 2012, 08:25 AM
all the dreadheads look great! often wondered if i should do them..... question though, may sound stupid but what is the best way of 'doing' them? What products do people use etc?

MissHair
January 27th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Is it possible to comb/brush out dreadlocks? I want to get them sometime in my life but Im concerned about having to cut them off at one point.

Veviticus
January 27th, 2012, 08:55 AM
all the dreadheads look great! often wondered if i should do them..... question though, may sound stupid but what is the best way of 'doing' them? What products do people use etc?

There is no such thing as a stupid question.
There are many ways of starting locks. You can start them out as plaits, twists, palm rolls, comb coils, and free form. There is also a hair locking system called "Sisterlocks." I'm not sure how many procedures there are for starting locks if your hair is straight, but you can go on You Tube and get all of the instruction and tutorials that you need. There is one man on You Tube whose wife is Asian and he uses a crochet hook to maintain hers, which I think is great. Whatever you do, PLEASE DO NOT use beeswax, honey, rubber bands and other gunk to start your locks, because when the time comes when you want to wash that mess out of your hair (and you will) it will near, if not impossible to do so. Beeswax does not dissolve in water, therefore you cannot wash it out. The less "product" you use, the better. For the most part, keep then clean and let them be. We don't lock our hair, but when left to its own devices, our hair will lock itself.

Veviticus
January 27th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Is it possible to comb/brush out dreadlocks? I want to get them sometime in my life but Im concerned about having to cut them off at one point.

Yes you can comb or brush out dreadlocks. Depending on how long you have had them in, it might be very tedious, but it can be done. The above poster "Dreadful Woman stated that she brushed hers out. Also, go on You Tube to find out.

Mannaz
January 27th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Well you can see my one lock in my siggy :D Don't have any pictures of the set I had a few years ago I'm afraid! I let this one form because I had big urges to let the whole head lock itself, now I'm content with the one, but maybe some day I just let my hair do it's thing.

terryn
January 28th, 2012, 02:37 AM
For anyone visiting this thread who has questions at dreadlocks, I always direct people to: this site (http://get-up-dread-up.livejournal.com/), it has pretty much everything you could ever want to know about dreads answered by a multitude of different people with different thoughts on dreads, and I have found it to be extremely helpful. Most of the information is contained here (http://www.livejournal.com/tools/memories.bml?user=get_up_dread_up). Hope this helps!

jacqueline101
January 29th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I've never had dreads but they look neat. I like the single dread that Mannaz has.

DreadfulWoman
January 29th, 2012, 09:44 PM

I used to be a big snob about neglect/ natural dreads being the only "real" dreads, but really any which way you bind up your existing hair is going to result in your hair dreading itself as it grows. I think backcombing is considered the gentlest method of starting dreads in straight hair. And to my mind it is the method that results in dreadlocks that mostly closely resemble the texture of dreads as they grow.

As far as products, anything wax-based is best avoided but aloe vera gel is considered a safe (and washable) alternative to keep young dreads locked up. :shrug: I never used anything on mine, though.

Yep, I brushed mine out this past year. It was not exactly a damage-free process, and it was a major pain in the butt, but I was able to recover waist length hair from classic length dreads. At the very least you could reasonably expect to recover *some* hair from dreadlocks, meaning you shouldn't have to shave your head to transition from dreadlocks to loose hair.

tiny_teesha
March 10th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the photos, wow classic length dreds, DreafulWoman- Impressive!!!
And thanks for the links terryn!

These are really great, i didn't know you could have just one dred, Mannaz. I've gotten a hair wrap. I had 2, one fell out after a month, the other is still in, it's been 3 months.

theodora
March 10th, 2012, 05:22 AM
I'll be watching this thread as I really want to start "natural" dreadlocks. I understand from the research I've done it's a really really long process.
The main worry for me is "employability". I'm not sure whether or not locks would be seen as a bad thing for my future career (in academia, but in a quite conservative subject).

tiny_teesha
September 6th, 2014, 08:03 AM
I've become more interested in potentially getting dredlocks again, i think i'm going to try puttin gin synthetic ones first. Anyone had any experience with them?

MNDaydreamer
October 3rd, 2014, 07:12 PM
I was wondering how many dread heads were in here. I have had them in the past and daydream about letting my hair go free again some day.

Knifegill
October 3rd, 2014, 07:32 PM
Once my hair is long enough I'll make one dread as a hair tie.

brickworld13
October 3rd, 2014, 07:34 PM
I'm surprised Unicorn isn't in this thread. She has some gorgeous micro locks.

Vaas
October 3rd, 2014, 09:20 PM
I have wanted dreads ever since I saw the most beautiful ones when I was working my first job as a kid. She had dirty blonde, BSL tiny dreads that were super neat. Just perfection. I'm tempted to start one small tonight, and just see how it looks tomorrow...

tiny_teesha
March 2nd, 2015, 04:32 AM
Old thread, but I've actually made my own merino dreadlocks. Anyone have any smart ideas on how to get a set in without spending a day braiding them up? I'm thinking something similar to a weft (but it would a string through the top of the dreads) with clips maybe?
Once i finish i'll post a pic!