PDA

View Full Version : Need HELP. My hair behind my neck falls crooked and not straight. Suggestions?

JCM
January 22nd, 2012, 07:50 PM
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1774/ponytailj.jpg

^ My hair is just below shoulder length. This is how I have to keep my hair restrained when I am working. They will not allow for me to have my hair down while I am working. :(

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/694/straightw.jpg

^ When I do have my hair down (after having it up all day/all week except for when I am sleeping ) it is quite wild. I have to straighten it on all sides to keep it down. This is how it looks when I am done straightening it. It falls straight down on all sides.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3650/crookedy.jpg

^ After I am done straightening it and I move my head around for a while, for some reason the hair behind my neck falls crooked and does not remain straight. No matter how many times I go over it again with my straightener the hair still refuses to stay straight and falls crooked. This happens on the both the left and right sides behind my neck. I do not know if static is creating this or what is. Eventually the hair behind my neck becomes so crooked, two large gaps form between my hair and both the left and right sides of my neck are visible. Does anybody have any suggestions on what is causing this? What do I have to do to make the hair behind my neck fall down straight?

I am sorry for the poor quality of the photos.

BlazingHeart
January 22nd, 2012, 08:15 PM
From the pictures, I would guess your hair is being kinked by being held in a ponyholder every day. I'd suggest finding something else to bind your hair (like barrettes or a flexi-8), and/or other ways of binding your hair up, like doing a peacock twist instead of a ponytail.

~Blaze

Honestwitness
January 22nd, 2012, 08:22 PM
I would guess your scalp has some whorls in your nape area and your hair might also have a slight wave to it. I have a similar problem in which my hair wants to divide right in the middle and hang with a huge gap all the way down its length in the back. I have a section on my scalp where the hair is thinner and curlier right in the middle. That same area has a very short terminal length, too. I worry and fuss about it ALL the time. I keep hoping is will look better as it grows longer, but it doesn't. I really want to wear my hair down all the time, especially in winter. But it just looks scraggly and gnarly. The only solution I have found is to wear it up.

Your hair is long enough to wear it up in some pretty cute styles, if you use clips, pins, and/or claws. I say let it be wavy, if it wants to be. Work with it the way it grows. Your creativity will come up with something wonderful, I'm sure.

Mommyof4
January 22nd, 2012, 08:40 PM
I would stop straightening it, that causes damage, which then causes bad hair days :(

Your hair probably has wave to it, but needs to recover from the straightening before you'll see it... it might need a little more length on it before you are at peace with the way it lays..

Try using something else to put your hair up, and try different updo's to keep your hair from having friction and crimp in the same place everytime..

Just think, in a few months, your hair will have grown and you will be onto a new hair quandry :D

misspixie
January 22nd, 2012, 09:15 PM
Whenever my hair was about your length, it did the same exact thing. That's why I prefer to have hair longer than shoulder length, because it just kinks up and bends and just looks awful. I'd say within a few months whenever it grows past your shoulders, it won't do that anymore.

Heatherzilla
January 22nd, 2012, 09:32 PM
I think it's just the length. I have curly hair so I can't say for sure if that's it but whenever I tried to straighten my hair at that length it did the same thing. I found that my hair looked and felt better when I gave up straightening and just let it be wild.

To prevent getting that annoying ponytail kink thing maybe you could try tying your hair back in different ways?

JCM
January 22nd, 2012, 10:23 PM
Oops. I forgot got to mention I am a guy.

My hair was longer than this but last year the job I had at the time told me I had to cut it. :(

Kaelee
January 22nd, 2012, 10:27 PM
My hair does the same thing...it's not much help but my suggestion is to not worry about it. I don't think anyone's hair falls perfectly straight. Even mine, and my hair is STICK STRAIGHT. It's not nearly as big a deal to everyone else as it is you.

I actually like the effect on my hair since it's a little longer. It gives it bounce and looks full and fluffy. :)

joliherb
January 22nd, 2012, 10:46 PM
Mine had a place at the nape of the neck that was fluffier and lighter for quite a while. It got heavier with time and is not any trouble now.

sfgirl
January 22nd, 2012, 11:18 PM
It sucks having your hair that awkward stage between straight and wavy. :/ once it's long though you can make it wavy with braids though. :)

JCM
January 24th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Hopefully as my hair continues to grow, that will take care of my situation.

I will take some more pictures in a couple of months.