PDA

View Full Version : New and seeking advice

peaceandquiet
January 22nd, 2012, 07:22 PM
Hello everyone!

I joined today. And here is my story. ;)

I have hair that is (finally) just past my shoulders. It is extremely fine. I have a lot of hair(s), though, thankfully.

What bothers me most about it is this: It seems to have two different textures. The underlayers are quite wavy, almost curly. The top, however, is almost straight. I love the waves and I wish the top layers were wavy too.

It's natural color is a dark ash blonde/light ash brown. Over a year ago, I went to an Aveda salon and asked for all over highlights. The stylist gave me YELLOW highlights that I spent the next year repeatedly covering up with semi-permanent ash brown dye.

About 3 months ago, I made the stupid decision to lighten my hair at home. It, of course, turned an awful orange-blonde color. SIGH.

Ok, so 3 days ago I went to a salon and again asked for the all-over blonde highlights, and this time, was very clear that I wanted ash/beige highlights, and that's what I got. They are beautiful.

So, as you can see, my FINE hair has been through chemical hell over the last 18 months or so. I don't heat style it, though, and it actually feels pretty healthy.

My latest experiment to get the look I want (the top to be wavy like the bottom) is to GENTLY blot wet hair with a towel after shampooing/conditioning with Dove moisturizing formula. Then, I don't comb it at all. I just let it dry. Which takes about an hour and a half. :rolleyes: (I used to wrap it in towel and then comb it with a wide-tooth comb, this method cut drying time to less than an hour)

I'm willing to change my morning routine a little so that I don't arrive a work with sopping wet hair. (that's actually against our dress code!)

Well, I guess I'm not really sure what I'm asking for here. Any thoughts? Advice?

Thank you very much!

Hollyfire3
January 22nd, 2012, 07:29 PM
Congrats on not heat styling! If you want better waves, try ploping, it is basically putting your damp hair on tope of your head and covering it loosley with a towel or fabric secured in some way until it dries. It compacts the curls so they are more defined. I have only tried it for about an hr or so because well, my hair is thick and takes long enough to dry without being clumped together, but who knows, it might work for you. You could try a bit of currlying mousse or cream or you could try rag curls if you really want more curls. I would recomend reconsidering that highlighting routine if you want really long hair but even if you keep highlighting, ty to use deep treatments in between (once weekly) to keep your hair heathlier looking. How long are you planning to grow your hair? just wondering.

Kelikea
January 22nd, 2012, 07:36 PM
The dove line contains cones, so it may weigh down your waves. My hair is similar to yours in that the top layer is less wavy than, say, the middle of my head. the baby hairs around my face almost always appear to be straight. The best things I've found to help keep the wave is to comb and brush less, especially when wet. Since you want to wash in the morning, comb while your hair is fully coated with conditioner in the shower, rinse. Blot dry and then try a microfiber towel--they have them at walmart in the auto dept for around $5. After about 15 min your hair should be dry enough to take down and re-scrunch (you can use a little extra conditioner or other curl enhancing product) in your waves without dripping, and you shouldn't need to detangle again.

Hope this helps!

UP Lisa
January 23rd, 2012, 12:44 PM
Most likely the top layer is drier, and that's why it isn't as wavy. Get as much moisture into it as you can. It may never be as wavy as the under layers. Mine isn't.

jacqueline101
January 23rd, 2012, 01:01 PM
Welcome and I don't know much about the Dove products. The products you use could keep your hair straight on top.

Madora
January 23rd, 2012, 01:04 PM
@peaceandquiet..

This might be of interest to you for a gentle yet fast way to airdry:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=223

peaceandquiet
January 23rd, 2012, 06:29 PM
Thank you everyone! I love the ideas.

I went out today and purchased some sulfate-free shampoo and silicone-free conditioner. (L'Oreal Eversleek)

I'm trying to stick to a budget and really want to avoid having to buy salon brands.

Bummer, because I JUST bought enormous containers of Dove S&C from Costco. And my husband has practically no hair . . . so he won't use it. I'll see if my Mom wants it, I guess.

Again, thank you. I'm so glad I joined.