PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Cowlicks

misspixie
January 22nd, 2012, 03:01 PM
I am trying to find other people who have cowlicks as well. Unfortunately for me having a cowlick must be a "trait" that I inherited because both of my parents have unsightly cowlicks. I have two cowlicks right in the front of my head. So, no bangs for me. I can't even rock side bangs because of it OR do a middle part. I guess I'll have to do a right side part until I am 100 years old.

I've never actually met anyone else (besides my parents) who has a cowlick as well. Mine are so thick and unruly. I've just given up. I feel like I'll never have "nice" hair because of them.

BlazingHeart
January 22nd, 2012, 03:09 PM
I've got a slight cowlick on the back left edge of my crown, but I've lucked out - mine is relatively easy to tame. About the only time it shows up is if my hair is quite short (under 6") or I sleep on my hair funny while it's wet. I guess it also shows up if I stretch my washes too long - this ONE section that kind of pops up/out while everything else lies down.

Mory
January 22nd, 2012, 03:12 PM
I think I have lucked out on that department but my daughter on the other hand? She has some really bad cowlicks mainly on the back of her head. It must take me an hour in the morning before I just finally give up on getting her hair to look non-crazy.

B-L
January 22nd, 2012, 03:20 PM
LOL I hade to Google "cowlick" to see what it was :D (sorry english is not my native)..
I don't have cowlicks but my son does on his crown.. He had beautiful longish, wavy hair up until he was two and then it was just to hard to tame so we cut him in a mohawk.. it stands up anyway so the cowlick isn't noticeable..
But I miss his longish hair :(

Chromis
January 22nd, 2012, 03:28 PM
My advice is to keep growing! I have cowlicks like that too. Once I got enough hair, the weight pulls the hair down and it behaves itself.

Hopefully other folks will have advice for the meantime, but I figured I'd let you know there is hope for the future.

Vanille_
January 22nd, 2012, 03:33 PM
I have one on back left side of crown that ruins a perfectly good Dutch braid if I can't tame it enough to not show. I've settled on usually placing my braid a bit lower to help avoid dealing with it.

Fairlight63
January 22nd, 2012, 05:20 PM
I also have one in the right back. After making my updo, I always have to comb over it to make sure that it doesn't look like I have a bald spot, or if I put my hair in an half up it covers it also.

Miss Maisie
January 22nd, 2012, 06:14 PM
Ugh, my crown is just one big swirl of a cowlick. If I air dry my hair without combing it, it looks like I have big bald patches back there. Stupid Cowlick. I'm super self conscious of it.

bedazzlecat
January 22nd, 2012, 06:37 PM
I have a cowlick in front but have bangs anyway. I use the shower to flatten them against my head and let them dry that way. But they still part a bit.

tarn
January 22nd, 2012, 06:42 PM
I have a cowlick on the side of my fringe! It makes it hard to wear my fringe but having no fringe doesn't suit me. I can't do a sidefringe as my face would look too long! I must say though - it could be worse... how do I know??? Well my son has a crown dead center in the front of his fringe!!! (As well as the standard one in the back. It is a mini cyclone/hurricane and he has had it since the day he was born. It is the first thing people notice about him.

Mommyof4
January 22nd, 2012, 06:44 PM
I have a few cowlicks... I have to part my hair on the side or else I'll look like I slept with my hair wet :( The others are in the back of my head, but are weighed down now..

My daughter has a cowlick on the back of her head and front just like mine, but her hair is fine, and doesn't respond to the cowlick, so unless her hair is short, it's not noticeable at all :)

speshe
January 22nd, 2012, 07:05 PM
I have two in the front - one on each side on my center part. I have bangs anyway. I've pretty much stopped caring...though sometimes I do use the hair dryer to try to tame them.

Aerin
January 22nd, 2012, 07:06 PM
I have a somewhat large one on the right side of my head, so I can't really do bangs (I have to style them to death to get it to behave, and even then it doesn't always work) which is too bad since bangs look awesome on me. I also can't do the middle part since it just flops back over. On the other hand, it makes my updos look a little less severe with that built in-volume up front, so I think it's a mixed blessing.

Nedertane
January 22nd, 2012, 07:11 PM
Ah, I've got one on my right side. I feel like since my hair is a little longer than it was when I first really noticed it, that it hasn't been as much of a bother. Plus, I don't have bangs anymore, so there was nothing to really "emphasize" it. Maybe mine just isn't that bad, but I certainly don't think it could ever prevent you from having nice hair.

Heh, and trust me, I still center part, despite the danged thing.

Toadstool
January 23rd, 2012, 02:08 AM
I have two in the front, on each side. It just means I can have a side parting both ways. People have admired the "swoop" it gives to my hair. I also have one at the crown.
I never thought of them as a negative thing, apart from when I generally wanted straight hair.

Gabriel
January 23rd, 2012, 04:43 AM
I've got two cowlicks. One in the front on the left side and one at the back/crown area on the right. I tried having a fringe a few years ago and quickly realized I don't have the patience to tame my cowlick every day for bangs to sit right.

The one in the back will become tender and hurt if I redirect it too much or if I go without washing my scalp for too long. Or if I touch my scalp there too often. So weird!

Tota
January 23rd, 2012, 04:52 AM
I have one on the right front side of my forehear so having bangs sucks :( They just go up in the air and then to the side. It is also very hard for me to wear middle part which I like the most. I'm growing out my bangs now (right now they're reaching my mouth) and hope that they'll "behave" when they're longer. Every few years I forget how hard it is to style bangs and have them cut and then I'm sorry and it takes two years to grow them out. And everytime I tell myself not to do it again ... :doh:

Shona
January 23rd, 2012, 07:06 AM
Ugh, my crown is just one big swirl of a cowlick. If I air dry my hair without combing it, it looks like I have big bald patches back there. Stupid Cowlick. I'm super self conscious of it.

I have the exact same thing. I am so glad I am not the only one! My "bald spot" is not BALD per se, it's just when I sleep funny on my crown it all parts because of the cowlick so it looks bald. Also I am blonde so that's even worse!

The one in the back will become tender and hurt if I redirect it too much or if I go without washing my scalp for too long. Or if I touch my scalp there too often. So weird!

I have this also! If my hair gets too greasy my cowlick/crown gets very painful. I just love to tug on it when it gets like that though. I'm worried I will end up with Trichotillomania, even though I don't actually pull ANY hair out I still love the painful feeling of pulling on the cowlick/crown.
Back to the loony bin I go! :-(

emeraldfaery
January 23rd, 2012, 08:45 AM
It's funny, when I was younger I could wear bangs, but now that I'm older I have a cowlick in the front. Right now I'm dealing with growing back my front bang area due to postpartum shedding and my cowlick makes it 10x worse! The hairs are 2-3 inches long and stick straight up. No amount of smoothing will keep them down. Thankfully, the right side has grown out enough to lie flat, but I have to use tiny clips to keep the other side tamed.

palaeoqueen
January 23rd, 2012, 10:52 AM
I have two, one at my crown on the left and one at the nape of my neck (this may actually be two, I'm not sure). They're a huge pain in the bum, The one at my crown means I have have to wash my hair more often than I would like as it sticks up everywhere in the morning and won't settle down, every scraping my hair back into a tight ponytail doesn't always deal with it. The one at the nape of my neck is just as bad as it makes the hair there stick out horizontally rather than flowing downwards. I'm desperately hoping that as my hair grows the extra weight will help pull it flat. I used to kill it with straighteners to get it flat but as I no longer heat style it's a bit more unpredictable.

PinkyCat
January 23rd, 2012, 11:02 AM
How's this for weirdo hairline:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8306&pictureid=124638

Here's the top of my melon. Not only do I have a widow's peak, but two different cowlicks on either side of my forehead. One goes up and one goes down and is about an inch long terminal.

spidermom
January 23rd, 2012, 11:04 AM
I used to think I had one at the left side above my temple, but it turned into a spiral curl with length.

Foxy_Booker
January 23rd, 2012, 11:11 AM
My cowlick happens at the right side of my crown which attaches itself to my part. Once my mom thought I had a bald spot but it was just my cowlick making weird parts in the back of my head. Oh well.

Rybe
January 23rd, 2012, 12:37 PM
I also have two cowlicks, one huge one that's front and slightly off center, and one on my crown. My front one actually won't let me part anywhere BUT center. I can go about a half inch off center to either side...and that's about it. If I try to side part on the opposite side as the cowlick I get this huge ugly lump (and mind you, I'm SOLIDLY waist length, plenty of weight there! And straight straight, so bumps and lumps look really out of place) and if I do it on the cowlick side...well...just no. So...no bangs for me :(:( ever. And I think they'd be so cute. (Trust me, tried it more than once...did not work at ALL)

Lately the one at my crown has been acting up. Usually it's weighted down enough to not be a problem, but it gets sore when I bun, AND occasionally just gets grumpy when I guess my part's not acceptable? I don't know. It's a jerk. Didn't even know it was a cowlick until I went pixi :rolleyes: I just figured I had a chronic bed head spot.

I wish there was some way of dealing with these little beasties other than sheer weight. My front one I don't think would be defeated even at thigh length. Uhg. Oh, and I have my parents to blame too. Namely my dad. He had even more than me though :o but at least his hair was wavy!

Cjatje
January 23rd, 2012, 12:55 PM
The crown of my head has a turn in the growth direction :p it's a very mild cowlick, and my son has the same. We don't really have an issue with it, it just gives great volume to my hair :p

rakueru
January 23rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
I have one, too! I inherited it from my dad, who has one on either side of his head. He calls them his "Devil curls," because they stick straight out when his hair is long, making them look like the Devil's horns. xD Mine is as bad as my sisters' are (two of my sisters have the "Devil-curls"). I got my bangs cut a while back, and I straighten those along with the cowlick with a flat-iron. >:D Of course, you might be opposed to using heat.

rakueru
January 23rd, 2012, 01:01 PM
Lol, I mean't "aren't as bad as my sisters."

rakueru
January 23rd, 2012, 01:04 PM
How's this for weirdo hairline:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8306&pictureid=124638

Here's the top of my melon. Not only do I have a widow's peak, but two different cowlicks on either side of my forehead. One goes up and one goes down and is about an inch long terminal.
I think it's cute! I've always wished I had a widow's peak. >.<

rakueru
January 23rd, 2012, 01:09 PM
I have a cowlick in front but have bangs anyway. I use the shower to flatten them against my head and let them dry that way. But they still part a bit.

Yes, it's the same with me!

jlo8937
January 23rd, 2012, 11:05 PM
I was just complaining about my cowlick today. I have a cowlick right in the front so my bangs always look funky. I am trying to grow them out so the weight will smooth down my cowlick.

airmid
January 30th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Me too!!!! I have two of them, one of either side of my widow's peak. When I had short hair I used to have to straight iron my bangs every day, drove me insane. Now that it's longer they aren't as bothersome but are still noticible on certain days... today is one of those days. ;) Side parts for me all the way, I can rarely pull off a center part.
I remember two incidents as a child, the first was when I tried to cut them out with scissors and ended up with a bald spot and the other was in Junior High school and I tried to flatten it (unsuccessfully) every day with Dep hair gel and got teased horribly for my crusty "greasy-looking" hair, til I stopped out of shame. ;)

PinkyCat
January 30th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Me too!!!! I have two of them, one of either side of my widow's peak. When I had short hair I used to have to straight iron my bangs every day, drove me insane. Now that it's longer they aren't as bothersome but are still noticible on certain days... today is one of those days. ;) Side parts for me all the way, I can rarely pull off a center part.
I remember two incidents as a child, the first was when I tried to cut them out with scissors and ended up with a bald spot and the other was in Junior High school and I tried to flatten it (unsuccessfully) every day with Dep hair gel and got teased horribly for my crusty "greasy-looking" hair, til I stopped out of shame. ;)

OMG I'm crying! I used to do this too - they called me "greaser"! LOL

gothicchick
January 30th, 2012, 12:27 PM
i have a cowslick right in the front, but i rather like mine it adds a bit of height, so i work with it :P

ladyshep
January 30th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I am with Chromis. I have a terrible cowlick on top of my hair and also at the nape. But when it started to grow long, I don't even notice them and can use some of it for an advantage.

airmid
January 30th, 2012, 12:29 PM
OMG I'm crying! I used to do this too - they called me "greaser"! LOL

AHAHAHAHAHA! I can`t believe I`m not alone! Hahahaha! *wipes tear* Those were the days! ;)