PDA

View Full Version : Mineral oil and clarifying succes!

Of the Fae
January 22nd, 2012, 08:57 AM
Okay, so sadly I have no camera to show for it BUT-
My hair was rough and dry at the ends, and I was very worried that it was damaged and I needed to cut 5 cms off.
However, I read the mineral oil thread and applied baby oil (johnsons). This improved the situation quite a bit, but not completely. Then I got a message from ktani saying that maybe this was a case of leave ins building up, and I had actually been quite busy with silicone conditioner lately- So I followed her advice and used an SLS shampoo without cones to clear the whole thing out. When it was drying it seemed squeaky and quite dry, even with the oil, but as it gradually dried, my ends feel soft and lovely again!! I am so happy :D because I had finally gotten to APL and a trim would mean waiting four months to get there again.
I have to mention, I had very little splits that I S&D when I see them, so my hair was not full of splits, and it was still shiny on the ends even when it felt really brittle and rough. If this is the case for anyone with the same issues I recommend a shot at this, because seriously it works!
And baby oil only costs like two euro's :cheese:
So there, sharing the joy and thanks! And recommending this to everyone before trimming! It will save months!

Edit: I have also been keeping my hair up more often to prevent the cold weather from drying my ends!

ktani
January 22nd, 2012, 09:03 AM
Okay, so sadly I have no camera to show for it BUT-
My hair was rough and dry at the ends, and I was very worried that it was damaged and I needed to cut 5 cms off.
However, I read the mineral oil thread and applied baby oil (johnsons). This improved the situation quite a bit, but not completely. Then I got a message from ktani saying that maybe this was a case of leave ins building up, and I had actually been quite busy with silicone conditioner lately- So I followed her advice and used an SLS shampoo without cones to clear the whole thing out. When it was drying it seemed squeaky and quite dry, even with the oil, but as it gradually dried, my ends feel soft and lovely again!! I am so happy :D because I had finally gotten to APL and a trim would mean waiting four months to get there again.
I have to mention, I had very little splits that I S&D when I see them, so my hair was not full of splits, and it was still shiny on the ends even when it felt really brittle and rough. If this is the case for anyone with the same issues I recommend a shot at this, because seriously it works!
And baby oil only costs like two euro's :cheese:
So there, sharing the joy and thanks! And recommending this to everyone before trimming! It will save months!

Edit: I have also been keeping my hair up more often to prevent the cold weather from drying my ends!

Congratulations at reaching your goal length and being able to stay there without an unnecessary trim!

And you make number 5 who has been able to avoid such a trim, simply by using cosmetic mineral oil.

ETA: The thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298

Of the Fae
January 22nd, 2012, 09:48 AM
Quite pleased :)
It stil ís a little less smooth, when I press my fingers on it and run down my hair, the ends are still a bit less smooth , but it doesn't seem dry at all, or brittle and it is shiny as a jewel :)
How can I interpret this?

ktani
January 22nd, 2012, 09:54 AM
Quite pleased :)
It stil ís a little less smooth, when I press my fingers on it and run down my hair, the ends are still a bit less smooth , but it doesn't seem dry at all, or brittle and it is shiny as a jewel :)
How can I interpret this?

Give it time and perhaps next time use the drop(s) on hair that is more damp or you may need one more drop.

Since you did have build-up and are no longer going to use the conditioner has heavily on your ends, residual build-up should wash out over time.

Regular shampoo does help remove some conditioner but not all of it each time you wash your hair. The conditioner coatings are designed to remain on the hair but not all of it will, each wash.

ETA: You will at some point, need to clarify again, not because of the mineral oil - as long as you do not use too much but because of the conditioner and coatings that may be in your shampoo.

Of the Fae
January 22nd, 2012, 09:59 AM
Okay :) Sounds good, I will follow the advice and be off to BSL!

ktani
January 22nd, 2012, 10:01 AM
Okay :) Sounds good, I will follow the advice and be off to BSL!

Happy growing :)

ktani
January 22nd, 2012, 10:20 AM
Nondrying oils like mineral oil, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil etc. do not need clarifying to remove them, even if too much is used.

It may take several shampoos to remove a lot of excess or conditioner only can remove them by emulsifying them out of the hair.

Resinous drying oils on the other hand can require clarifying to remove them and repeated clarifying at that. Click on "repeatedly", http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=190

Libbylou
January 22nd, 2012, 10:58 AM
I went to get my usual bang trim yesterday and asks the stylist to check my ends. I have not had them trimmed since August. My ends are fine. I have been using Natures Gate non SLS shampoo and generic baby oil, that's what we have in the bathroom.
So maybe I will be able to do the "No trims in 2012 challenge!"
I also do a henna/buxus gloss about every 3 months for the silvers.

ktani
January 22nd, 2012, 11:00 AM
I went to get my usual bang trim yesterday and asks the stylist to check my ends. I have not had them trimmed since August. My ends are fine. I have been using Natures Gate non SLS shampoo and generic baby oil, that's what we have in the bathroom.
So maybe I will be able to do the "No trims in 2012 challenge!"
I also do a henna/buxus gloss about every 3 months for the silvers.

How long have you been using the baby oil? And this is great news!

jojo
January 22nd, 2012, 12:29 PM
talking of silvers mine are now lovely and soft, im more than happy and its so lovely to see others getting such wonderful results too

ladyshep
January 22nd, 2012, 01:32 PM
Awesome! Mineral oil is great! :cheese:

Libbylou
January 22nd, 2012, 02:47 PM
ktani, I have been using the baby oil since it was very first mentioned this cold season, started using it for static. So maybe October?
BTW, thanks for all the research you have done on mineral oil. It was also in the bathroom closet for makeup removal so no purchase was necessary, so that is a another plus for mineral oil.

ktani
January 22nd, 2012, 02:59 PM
ktani, I have been using the baby oil since it was very first mentioned this cold season, started using it for static. So maybe October?
BTW, thanks for all the research you have done on mineral oil. It was also in the bathroom closet for makeup removal so no purchase was necessary, so that is a another plus for mineral oil.

It was not mentioned until the beginning of Dec when I found the research - I found your post on Vaseline in another mineral oil thread because I remember you posting, where you said you were going to try the mineral oil. I could not remember offhand either, lol.

So, this long is a very good test - nice one! :)