PDA

View Full Version : i/ii or ii?

uptosomeone
January 21st, 2012, 09:51 PM
I just measured my ponytail circumference and realized that technically speaking I'm at ii. Just barely since I'm at 2.25" and ii is described at being from 2" to 4" though. Since this is so close to i, would I be considered an i/ii or fully ii? Also, I'm measuring high on my head so my growing out fringe fits in the ponytail. Should I be measuring at the base of my neck? If so, I'm probably still at ii because of slight layering and my fringe.

Kelikea
January 21st, 2012, 09:53 PM
I'd say if you're .25 over the minimum for ii, then you are a ii.

long.again
January 21st, 2012, 10:15 PM
I was told that i/ii is only if you are right at 2"... but I believe you should set it to however you feel.

clichepithet
January 21st, 2012, 10:24 PM
Your layers and fringe count, if you're including it in your measurement.

ii.

PixxieStix
January 21st, 2012, 11:20 PM
The "ii's" have it! :D

Goldenberry
January 22nd, 2012, 06:25 AM
I'd also go with ii.

Mesmerise
January 22nd, 2012, 06:56 AM
Well when my circ was 2.25" I must admit I called myself i/ii, even though it was technically ii. I upgraded when I got to 2.5" or so. Now I've been shedding again I'm probably back where I was :rolleyes:. I just don't have the heart to measure...

I guess... well there's a biiiig difference between 2" and 4"... 4" sounds twice as much, but if you calculate the area of hair, there's more than twice as much hair in a 4" pony than there is in a 2" pony.

So I guess where I'm going is that 2.25" hair is a LOT thinner than 4" hair, which is why I used i/ii for a designation.

Quite honestly, I think the circumference measurements should be changed a bit to reflect the huge differences that a couple of inches makes! But as it is, I still stand by my decision to use i/ii for hair on the lower end of ii because it more accurately represents thinner hair IMHO.

einna
January 22nd, 2012, 07:19 AM
Well, you are an ii, but i/ii might be a more accurate representation. There is a big gap between 2-4". My circ is just around 4,1 -4,3 depending on moisture levels and such. Ponytail is around 3,9 without bangs and face framing layers. I put ii/iii, because I am on the "thin" side of iii.

ETA: I mean you can do what feels most right to you.

uptosomeone
January 22nd, 2012, 09:25 AM
Thanks, for the replies, all! I'm going to keep it at i/ii since I agree that there's a very big difference between 2 and 4 inches. If it thickens more I'll probably end up changing it, but for now I'll stay where I am. :)

anka.ch
January 22nd, 2012, 10:17 AM
I guess... well there's a biiiig difference between 2" and 4"... 4" sounds twice as much, but if you calculate the area of hair, there's more than twice as much hair in a 4" pony than there is in a 2" pony.

Actually it's 4 times as much hair!

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/5058/kwadrat.png

It is a rule that works for all shapes (for example circles) and all scales (the above was 1:2). That's why the circumference of a ponytail isn't twice as big as a circ of a pigtail (one of the two identical) :D The ratio will be square root of 2.

I am a circ 2.5" and I consider my hair very thin...

Miriela
January 22nd, 2012, 10:23 AM
I'm around 2 1/4" at the moment and I think I have myself listed as i/ii. In my case, it's because I used to be at 3", and then I had a massive shed that put me at 2", and it's only just starting to thicken up a little bit. When I measured it at 2 1/8", I felt like it was too much to hope that it was finally coming back in, so I didn't want to jinx myself. ;)

Lostsoule77
January 22nd, 2012, 10:30 AM
If it were me I'd set it at ii. I'd do a i/ii if you were just at 2", but you are .25 over. I'm very much a technical kinda gal so being in the 2"-4" range of a ii makes you a ii. I think it's up to personal interpretation a bit though, so use whatever you feel right with. :)

dwell_in_safety
January 22nd, 2012, 10:45 AM
I would say you're a ii. :) Being .25" over 2" means you have 12-13% more hair than the minimum required for that designation.

princessp
January 22nd, 2012, 10:48 AM
My vote is for ii because you are a ii not a i/ii.

torrilin
January 22nd, 2012, 10:50 AM
If you use the in between designations, a i needs to be not just under 2" but under 1.5", and i/ii is from 1.5 to 2.5. A ii would be 2.5 to 3.5, and a ii/iii would be 3.5 to 4.5.

This addresses some of the issues with how broad ii and iii are as designations. But... an awful lot of our members seem to want to use the thickness marker as a club to beat themselves up with. I've seriously had to talk people with a 3" circumference out of labeling themselves as i/ii. That's not ok at all. There's no universe where a 3" ponytail and a 1.5" one are going to behave at all the same in updos.

There's also going to be some variation in your measurement because we're not perfect and the world isn't perfect. You won't always have EXACTLY the same tightness of ponytail, and you won't always get the tape measure to the exact same tightness. And your hair can absorb water from the air, or be extra dry one day, so it won't squish the same all the time. With all those variations, my measurement ranges from 2.5 to 3". So while I could use a i/ii in theory, in practice it's more honest to say just ii.

uptosomeone
January 22nd, 2012, 07:31 PM
If you use the in between designations, a i needs to be not just under 2" but under 1.5", and i/ii is from 1.5 to 2.5. A ii would be 2.5 to 3.5, and a ii/iii would be 3.5 to 4.5.

This addresses some of the issues with how broad ii and iii are as designations. But... an awful lot of our members seem to want to use the thickness marker as a club to beat themselves up with. I've seriously had to talk people with a 3" circumference out of labeling themselves as i/ii. That's not ok at all. There's no universe where a 3" ponytail and a 1.5" one are going to behave at all the same in updos.

There's also going to be some variation in your measurement because we're not perfect and the world isn't perfect. You won't always have EXACTLY the same tightness of ponytail, and you won't always get the tape measure to the exact same tightness. And your hair can absorb water from the air, or be extra dry one day, so it won't squish the same all the time. With all those variations, my measurement ranges from 2.5 to 3". So while I could use a i/ii in theory, in practice it's more honest to say just ii.

This is basically the thought process I had in my head when I decided to keep it at i/ii rather than ii. Thanks for writing it so I didn't have to try explain it myself!:p

Lissandria
January 22nd, 2012, 07:42 PM
Hmm... I feel like I am in the same boat. At the nape, my hair measures a round 2". In a high pony it is 2.5" not including my fringe. I feel like my hair could be technically an ii, but really it is so thin, I really feel more like I am in the i/ii caterogory. If I was a solid 2.5"+ I would be happy to put myself as an ii- I have in the past, but I felt like I was cheating!

uptosomeone
January 22nd, 2012, 08:04 PM
Hmm... I feel like I am in the same boat. At the nape, my hair measures a round 2". In a high pony it is 2.5" not including my fringe. I feel like my hair could be technically an ii, but really it is so thin, I really feel more like I am in the i/ii caterogory. If I was a solid 2.5"+ I would be happy to put myself as an ii- I have in the past, but I felt like I was cheating!

It's frustrating, isn't it? It's not that it matters whether you have thick or thin hair, but it would feel good to have a solid definition. I put it in the same category as not knowing whether to classify myself as 1a or 1b. Not necessary, just annoying.

Lissandria
January 22nd, 2012, 08:11 PM
It's frustrating, isn't it? It's not that it matters whether you have thick or thin hair, but it would feel good to have a solid definition. I put it in the same category as not knowing whether to classify myself as 1a or 1b. Not necessary, just annoying.

Yep, it would be nice to have a niche to fit into. You're definitely not the only one :flower:

MsBubbles
January 22nd, 2012, 08:44 PM
an awful lot of our members seem to want to use the thickness marker as a club to beat themselves up with.

This really made me laugh! Very well put.

Mesmerise
January 22nd, 2012, 09:07 PM
Actually it's 4 times as much hair!

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/5058/kwadrat.png

It is a rule that works for all shapes (for example circles) and all scales (the above was 1:2). That's why the circumference of a ponytail isn't twice as big as a circ of a pigtail (one of the two identical) :D The ratio will be square root of 2.

I am a circ 3" and I consider my hair very thin...

Well there you go, I didn't realise there was a rule ;). I just knew it was more than twice as much, but didn't want to do the maths to figure it out!! That's why I find ii as a designation fairly poor, simply because there's SUCH a huge difference between 2" and 4" that one end of the scale really can't be compared to another!

Personally I sort of see hair that's under 2.25" as i/ii, and above maybe 3.75" you could go for ii/iii... I also think there needs to be an iv for those with uber thick hair! Just as there's a big difference between 2" and 4" there's also a big difference beween 4" and 6"!!

I guess there's no perfect system though... but if you're looking at updos and stuff, it sometimes helps to compare to someone with similar hair thickness to yourself I guess.

And I also agree people shouldn't be beating themselves up about hair thickness ;). I know I get down about mine (mostly because of shedding though... so it's thinner than it should be), and I'd be happy to be a "solid ii" with a 3" ponytail right now!