PDA

View Full Version : To cut or not to cut? That is the question...

Irishred
January 21st, 2012, 03:37 PM
Taking my time on this decision, so don't worry.

I am near 40yo and have returned to school. I am in my second year with 2 terms before I earn my associates before I move on to a full 4 year school to pursue my Bachelors. I am studying Music and plan on teaching in the future. This means, while in school, I have to perform on stage, solo and with groups on a regular basis. I also have classes on campus and work part time. And I can't forget I have 3 kids at home and a medically challenged husband (reason I went back to school).

Last time I cut my hair short was when I was pregnant with my daughter (now 8). That was just below my shoulders I think. My hair has been below waist for 4 years, classic or below for over 2. While I love my long hair (and DH likes it) I am getting kinda tired of it. When I wear it down the dogs are an issue, kids sit on it, gets caught on stuff.etc. I like to wear it down. I wear it up all the time and it is getting soo... drab feeling.

Back in early December. I trimmed the scraggly ends off my hair. Turns out to have been about 6 inches. My ends look full and thick again for the most part. I thought that would do it, but I look at it daily.... weekly I get out the tape and say hmmmmmm.

I want a length I can feel better about but still feel long. GRRRR.

Here is my most recent picture
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/momandscout/2012/IMAG0236-1.jpg

(hands are on hips at waist)

Suggestions:confused::confused:

PS. Also looking for easy light rinse that will hide my greys a little by blonding or darkening them... paprika, carrot or camomile rinse?

Madora
January 21st, 2012, 03:49 PM
You have a lovely, thick head of hair!

I gather that you don't wear it up all that much, and if that is the case, then I'd cut it back to waist. That way, you still have enough hair left to do many updos (if so inclined)..or leave it down to enjoy the length.

vanity_acefake
January 21st, 2012, 03:51 PM
Oh your hair is so beautiful. I would experiment with new updos but not cut it. It's too stunning.
Treat yourself to an exciting new hair toy. Something dramatic.

Amber_Maiden
January 21st, 2012, 04:03 PM
Your hair is beautiful!

Gemma
January 21st, 2012, 04:06 PM
I would do a bigger cut than your last trim and see how you feel. I have been considering cutting my hip length hair for MONTHS. First, I was thinking about just cutting off all the henna, leaving me at BSL natural colored hair, and then I considered something more dramatic (like a pageboy). I have been trimming an inch or two here and there but it didn't help me decide.

Today, i cut 4-5 inches, bringing me to a little past natural waist, and I realize now that I do NOT want shorter hair. I'm a little in shock, actually! It doesn't sound like a huge amount but it's made a big difference in how it looks.

Maybe if you try something similar, it will let you know what you really want?

lunamummy
January 21st, 2012, 04:08 PM
I read that you have a lot on your plate, without having to look after all that hair as well. I guess the question is whether it brings you pleasure? If all it is, is another chore on a plateful then maybe cut it back to something that feels practical to you?
I like Madora's suggestion - at least at waist you will still have it, but noone will be able to sit on it! You really have beautiful hair, it would be a shame to give it up entirely. Especially just to be practical - sometimes busy women need to have something that is entirely impractical, but beautiful, just for them :)

TropicalBreeze
January 21st, 2012, 04:09 PM
Your hair is gorgeous. I agree with cutting it to your waist.

jojo
January 21st, 2012, 04:12 PM
oh how beautiful, id keep it that length its perfect!

Ive been wondering about carrot juice rinses myself, please do keep me informed if you do this on your results.

If you do trim, id go no shorter than hip!

PixxieStix
January 21st, 2012, 04:15 PM
Your hair is beautiful, but I understand wanting a more manageable length for your lifestyle. I'd be terrified of chopping to waist right away personally, since it is at classic maybe try tailbone first so it doesn't get sat on, and if that is still too long then try hip, and going up to waist if those two still seem a bit long? No matter the length though, your hair needs to be something you adore and love.

jacqueline101
January 21st, 2012, 04:45 PM
I'd let it grow but its up to you. If you do cut it hip only. Its lovely hair.

blondie9912
January 21st, 2012, 04:52 PM
Your hair beautiful, but if you don't feel you enjoy it, then you should probably cut it. I agree with Madora, waist is a good length :)

turtlelover
January 21st, 2012, 05:04 PM
Your hair is really pretty at the length it is, but I agree that you should cut it if not enjoying it. Maybe somewhere in between waist and tailbone? It would be easier to handle and wear down, but you could still do a lot with it and keep most of the beautiful length. You could always cut more later if that didn't get rid of the urge.

Mommyof4
January 21st, 2012, 05:05 PM
How about mid-back length(an inch or two above waist.. I guess that's MBL) with a U hemline so it feels *different* :)

I think your hair is gorgeous!! If it were mine, I wouldn't dare cut it more than a few inches, but I understand where you're coming from :)

Just only take like 2-3 inches tops off at first, so you don't go into shock.. or realize it'll be a year before you get back what you cut off...

I would do a Chamomile rinse if I were you :)

DoubleCrowned
January 21st, 2012, 09:22 PM
What about something at waist or end of the ribs, and having what was cut off made into a hairpiece or individual pin-in curls? You would have extra hair to play with if you started missing your length.

akilina
January 21st, 2012, 09:28 PM
Although beautiful...if it is making you feel that way it is really possible you need a change. I'd consider a cut to waist maybe? wherever you feel necessary. I probably would recommend against a huge chop to a short length though :)

sfgirl
January 21st, 2012, 09:46 PM
Your hair is beautiful, but I understand wanting a more manageable length for your lifestyle. I'd be terrified of chopping to waist right away personally, since it is at classic maybe try tailbone first so it doesn't get sat on, and if that is still too long then try hip, and going up to waist if those two still seem a bit long? No matter the length though, your hair needs to be something you adore and love.

YES. This is the best method, IMO. Taking it as small of steps is best. Everyone I know who does a big chop hates it, but everyone who did it in small increments (even if they ended up with a pixie), loved it. :)

MonaLisa
January 22nd, 2012, 03:51 AM
Amazing hair!.
If you really have to cut it...I think even TBL would make difference...I mean no one would sit on it :)

einna
January 22nd, 2012, 07:25 AM
Lovely hair. How about trying a V og a deep U cut with the longest parts at tailbone. And maybe some face framing layers og bangs to soften your updoes. You can always cut more later. I think waist is a good length for us who like to wear it down once in a while. Good luck with hair and school =)

Jessibear2854
January 22nd, 2012, 09:11 AM
Your hair beautiful, but if you don't feel you enjoy it, then you should probably cut it. I agree with Madora, waist is a good length :)

Yep, yep! I agree with this, too. Just because you have amazing hair doesn't mean you are obligated to keep it at a length that you don't enjoy.

Silver Strands
January 22nd, 2012, 09:27 AM

I also agree with this suggestion.
Little by little until you get it where YOU want it.

jeanniet
January 22nd, 2012, 09:50 AM
Your hair is beautiful, but if you like to wear it down I would cut back to waist or hip and see how you like it. I like to wear my hair up unless I'm at home not doing anything much, and I can see where it would get in my way a lot if I wanted it down more. It's all about what you want and what makes you enjoy your hair most.

Of the Fae
January 22nd, 2012, 09:52 AM
I also say cut to hip or waist, and if it still is too long cut more. I had a few times when I was sick of my hair being in the way and went and got a major cut and regretted it so much a few weeks later ! Just be sure that you want to cut it. Maybe make a pro/con list :P ? Sounds silly but it could help set stuff straight. Anyway I find your hair to be extremely pretty!

Lostsoule77
January 22nd, 2012, 10:03 AM
First off your hair is beautiful! I can see with all that you have going on why you might want to cut it. I would say cut to TBL, but if you want to take off more, then hip at the shortest. I have TBL hair currently, but for years have been between hip & TBL. I wear it down at least once a week & find it's pretty easy to still wear down. I agree with PPs who say don't do a big chop. Gradual cuts allow you to stop without regret. Chops often cause regret and you don't want that on top of everything else you have going on. Good luck. :)

spidermom
January 22nd, 2012, 10:08 AM
Hip length with long layers maybe?

Amazinggrace
January 22nd, 2012, 10:09 AM
Your hair is beautiful!

As a busy mother too, I think that if you like to wear it dowm waist/hip is a wearable length. For me, anything below the waist/hip area is in the way constantly with the kids and work.

I am known for taking a few hair ties and folding my hair up to the length I want to cut too and wearing it at home for a weekend. That way I can feel and see the length without the cut. If it feels right, then go ahead amd cut. :)

long&blonde
January 22nd, 2012, 11:01 AM
Your hair is beautiful.
But your texture,thickness,shade would be beautiful at any length.
I agree with:a step at a time.
Take it to tailbone.
Maybe try a very dramatic V hemline at tailbone.(I think that is my personal favorite look and length of all.)
If that doesn't suit,try hip. Etc.
I so relate to;I look in the mirror at my day to day rock solid;totally unartistic buns.
My buns? Are called "nothing:but they hold!" I think.
I brush my hair out from a bun and find weeds and kids toy parts in it. Nice.
But then I detangle,oil,wash,detangle,air dry?
At nearly classic,dark blonde,2c, it Is special,pretty:
I think our main point is "But how often does it/can it;look like that?" Lol.
Before wind and dogs and dear ones come along and Poof! Lol!
Your hair is Gorgeous.
But I think I do totally understand your question.
I think its mine too.

lapushka
January 22nd, 2012, 11:16 AM
What about cutting back to classic length? Or, what about cutting slightly more than your last trim? I agree with Gemma on this. Don't go too short, though. A big loss of length might even startle you and be more uncomfortable than it feels now.

Snippety
January 22nd, 2012, 12:01 PM
Basically what everyone else has said :p Your hair is gorgeous, and an amazing colour. I felt kind of the same I. The summer of 2010 and cut back to waist. It was more of a shock than I thought and I ended up really regretting it. So I second the suggestions of little by little :)

TiffanieJean
January 22nd, 2012, 12:17 PM
I say cut it to the lowest part of your back (another 6 inches or so). Your hair is beautiful! It will still be longer than most people, but easier to manage.

Najade
January 29th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Your hair is beautiful! If you want to cut it, than cut it to your hips. You will probably regret it whenn you go shorter.