PDA

View Full Version : Boar Bristle Brush Stinks?

SopphireGem
January 21st, 2012, 01:53 PM
I recently bought a new boar bristle brush, but today I decided to wash it after using it, so I used hot water and shampoo. After I washed it, it seemed to smell really bad. Like a pig sty. It didn't smell like that before I washed it. It's almost dry now but still has that terrible smell. What can I do about it?

Thinthondiel
January 21st, 2012, 02:38 PM
They do smell bad when they're wet. I assume it's going to stop smelling when it's 100% dry, like mine always does.

MaryMarx
January 21st, 2012, 02:44 PM
This just happened to me, and it will stop smell when it's dry, luckily!

Amber_Maiden
January 21st, 2012, 02:56 PM
Put it in a place where it can dry throughly. There have been recent posts about it where advice was given, and I think mainly what you can do is put it in direct sunlight to dry.

jojo
January 21st, 2012, 03:41 PM
The smell goes after a while, just fill a jug with warm soapy water and swish it around and then leave it to dry, do this a few times and it will go!

Madora
January 21st, 2012, 03:43 PM
Do not put it in direct sunlight.

It might be that the shampoo you used has something in it that does not mesh well with the boar bristles.

Next time, try a gentle hand soap..Ivory for example. Use warm, not hot water, and don't let the brush soak for more than 7 minutes. Rinse well with cold running water. Shake out all of the excess water you can by fanning the bristles several times with your fingers, and wipe off the rest of the brush. Place it bristles side facing downward on a lint free cloth to dry.

I am at a loss to understand why your bbb should smell. In over 40 years I've never had one do that. Good luck!

jojo
January 21st, 2012, 03:48 PM
Do not put it in direct sunlight.

It might be that the shampoo you used has something in it that does not mesh well with the boar bristles.

Next time, try a gentle hand soap..Ivory for example. Use warm, not hot water, and don't let the brush soak for more than 7 minutes. Rinse well with cold running water. Shake out all of the excess water you can by fanning the bristles several times with your fingers, and wipe off the rest of the brush. Place it bristles side facing downward on a lint free cloth to dry.

I am at a loss to understand why your bbb should smell. In over 40 years I've never had one do that. Good luck!

great advise, my smelt a bit when i first got it, but nothing too bad! I wash mine in baby bath lotion, rinse and then leave it on my dressing table table to dry.

Lavenderhaze
August 24th, 2016, 01:11 PM
this happened to me too! Just bought a brand-new 100% boar bristle brush, washed it and the smell is bad. really bad. noticed that it was made in China. wonder if country of origin has anything to do with it?

The thing is, I have had boar bristle brushes all my life, washed them, but have never smelled one like this. in fact, have never noticed a smell at all when they were wet. my other non-stinky brushes are Mason Pearson and Flarence Billion.

can anyone recommend a brand that doesn't smell?

Groovy Granny
August 24th, 2016, 01:21 PM
I have one by Conair; I love it and never had it smell after cleaning it
https://www.amazon.com/Conair-Styling-Essentials-Grooming-Brush/dp/B005239U6A/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1472066053&sr=8-2&keywords=conair+boars+hair+brush

Lavenderhaze
August 24th, 2016, 01:30 PM
hi groovy granny, thanks for answering! The one I just bought that is stinky is a Conair paddle brush with a wooden handle. it is really a beautiful brush and couldn't believe it was only nine dollars. looks quite different from the one you linked to.

Groovy Granny
August 24th, 2016, 01:31 PM
hi groovy granny, thanks for answering! The one I just bought that is stinky is a Conair paddle brush with a wooden handle. it is really a beautiful brush and couldn't believe it was only nine dollars. looks quite different from the one you linked to.

Oh geez LOL

I have 3 of them and a smaller styling brush that they no longer carry.
All are almost 4 years old and used/washed with no odor.

That's too bad...hope you find a solution; $9 is $9 ;)

Cg
August 24th, 2016, 02:41 PM
Mine smelled like mothballs after the first few washes, but the odor dissipated fairly soon.

Lavenderhaze
August 24th, 2016, 02:59 PM
this one smells like stinky animals/rotten eggs. i'm going to return it if they'll take it back. and look for another

Obsidian
August 24th, 2016, 03:28 PM
I know with boar bristle shaving brushes, they can smell like nasty animal for quite a while, badger can be even worse. With enough washings, the smell will go away. The wet shaving guys usually soak their brushes a few times overnight in strong shampoo water but I realize this isn't possible for BBB due to the wooden paddle.

I have a wigo from ulta and it didn't smell when I washed it. Short stiff bristles and a really nice smooth wooden paddle.
http://www.ulta.com/cushion-100-boar-bristle-brush?productId=xlsImpprod4440041

Lavenderhaze
August 24th, 2016, 03:36 PM
obsidian, that Wigo looks really nice! thanks for suggesting it. it says Europe on the handle, wonder if boar bristles are treated differently in Europe than China, and that might affect the odor?

anyway, I don't mind a mild odor, it is a natural product after all, but mine just reeks. :(

Obsidian
August 24th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Its possible that they are prewashed before the brushes are made. Mine did have a little animal odor but it was very mild after I used a clarifying shampoo on it. Dawn dish soap is supposed to help remove the funk too, followed by a vinegar rinse.

Lavenderhaze
August 25th, 2016, 03:53 PM
yes, perhaps prewashing is the difference. with cheaper goods nowadays, perhaps they eliminate some steps in preparing the bristles for market. my husband said my new brush smells like the zoo!
looked at the Wigo, even though it says Europe on the handle, it is made in China.