PDA

View Full Version : Coconut milk for dry hair?

Hollyfire3
January 21st, 2012, 11:56 AM
So, i think my hair is dry...i just know something is wrong with it, it won't curl like usual and is kinda muchy but dry feeling at the same time. I have been using moisture shampoo and it only made the curls come back a bit, then around the 4th wash, they were mushy (my hair had been lifeless and cruncky before) i want to do something to attempt to fix this....i just don't know what. I have a can of coconut milk in my pantry, i read somewhere that it is good for dry hair. How do i use this, should i try it? I am also worried about too much protein in the coconut milk, i just want my bouncy full wurls back...:(any advice at all is apreciated.

sarelis
January 21st, 2012, 12:03 PM
Hi, not sure how much help this will be as every person's hair is different but my hair LOVES coconut milk, sometimes I mix in some honey too. One thing I did notice when I had dyed black hair is that a coconut milk soak pulled some colour from my hair. Maybe just try it on a section of your hair & see how it reacts? :)

Hollyfire3
January 21st, 2012, 12:07 PM
Hi, not sure how much help this will be as every person's hair is different but my hair LOVES coconut milk, sometimes I mix in some honey too. One thing I did notice when I had dyed black hair is that a coconut milk soak pulled some colour from my hair. Maybe just try it on a section of your hair & see how it reacts? :)

Coconut milk faded you dye? Wow...never thought of that my hair is dyed a shade or 2 darker then my natural color..(my hair is currently dark brown) so i think i might have to try a section....i have been washing my hair every day (i know i'm BAD) trying slightly different things in an attempt to get my curl and poof back but nothing is working.....my hair just hangs there i hate it! I know my hair hates protein, this is really what started the whole mess, and i tried a light protein treatment yesterday in an attempt to try to get some structure back but it just made it flatter...i will try a section, but will the rest keep in the fridge and for how long? And BTW, yes you did help:D.

unknown
January 21st, 2012, 01:16 PM
I accidentally bought coconut milk instead of coconut oil. My hair loved it! Just be prepared for the application to be somehow messy...

ktani
January 21st, 2012, 01:21 PM
Once opened - on cans of coconut milk I have seen and used - not on my hair though - it has to be used up in 3 days.

However - you can freeze coconut milk - to use later.

krissykins
January 21st, 2012, 01:22 PM
Have you tried a moisturizing conditioner rather than a moisturizing shampoo? Shampoo is designed to cleanse hair, not add moisture back into the hair.

Coconut milk will give your hair a deep protein treatment, which can bring life back into the hair if it likes protein. I recommend using this article to assess whether your hair needs moisture or protein: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44

Amber_Maiden
January 21st, 2012, 01:26 PM
My hair loves coconut milk. Maybe mix it up with some moisture conditioner for a good hair mask?

Hollyfire3
January 21st, 2012, 01:40 PM
My hair loves coconut milk. Maybe mix it up with some moisture conditioner for a good hair mask?

Oh that sounds yummy! I will do that next wash...i just wahsed my hair, this thread took to long to get an answer lol. I used a shampoo that had some proteins and also moisturized, i also used loreal stregnthening conditiogner, i decided to skip on the protein treatment( some keratin based thing i got at sallys) because i used it yesterday with little results. The coconut milk might work though...i hope...i also hope the stregthening conditioner will add some structure to my hair so it can curl...(hopes and dreams of beautiful hair)

Hollyfire3
January 21st, 2012, 01:41 PM
Have you tried a moisturizing conditioner rather than a moisturizing shampoo? Shampoo is designed to cleanse hair, not add moisture back into the hair.

Coconut milk will give your hair a deep protein treatment, which can bring life back into the hair if it likes protein. I recommend using this article to assess whether your hair needs moisture or protein: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44

Yeah i meant to add that i used a moisturizng conditioner to go with the moisture shampoo...sorry. thanks for the article.

Hollyfire3
January 21st, 2012, 01:42 PM
Once opened - on cans of coconut milk I have seen and used - not on my hair though - it has to be used up in 3 days.

However - you can freeze coconut milk - to use later.

I just might end up using the coconut milk after all, who knows it may work (yeah, thats my philosophy for now as i switch little stuff in a attempt to get a good end result...i'm pitiful, i know)

krissykins
January 21st, 2012, 01:45 PM
Yeah i meant to add that i used a moisturizng conditioner to go with the moisture shampoo...sorry. thanks for the article.

No worries :flower:

Hollyfire3
January 21st, 2012, 01:51 PM
No worries :flower:

Lol yeah, and all that clarifying in the article seems scary...i dont want my hair to break from the overwashing! But....if it helps...i might be reduced to clarifying, again...and starting over trying to figure this out. Thanks for the flower and cute avatar btw, i LOVE cats, hence the siggy... (highjack!) lol

krissykins
January 21st, 2012, 02:00 PM
I don't think your hair will break. I have experiences with too much protein and when I clarified, my hair was not snapping off. It happens in extreme cases, but I think you will be fine. :D

Thank you for the compliment on my avatar! Nyan cat always brings a smile to my face. :)

ETA: And to answer your original question about how to use coconut milk, here is a thread about it from the archives: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4910

Hollyfire3
January 21st, 2012, 02:03 PM
I don't think your hair will break. I have experiences with too much protein and when I clarified, my hair was not snapping off. It happens in extreme cases, but I think you will be fine. :D

Thank you for the compliment on my avatar! Nyan cat always brings a smile to my face. :)

Nyan cat= smile except when you turn up the sound...lol you actually gave me the idea to finnally upload a pic as my avatar...see? It has a cat in it!:D

PixxieStix
January 21st, 2012, 03:47 PM
My hair loves coconut milk, I usually mash it up with some avocado or add avocado oil to it and my hair just drinks it in. I use just straight coconut milk on my friends hair and she can't get over how much more amazing it feels afterwards. :)

CurlyCap
January 21st, 2012, 05:58 PM
My hair loves coconut milk. I use it all the time when others would use coconut oil.

Note: Curls love moisture treatments, but with time they make all curls lose some bounce. I would try a shampoo for normal hair, or even a clarifier if you hair can tolerate those. Condition and style as usual. It might take one deep treatment to correct for the shampoo, but you'll probably get your curls back. This happens to me after about a month of babying my hair.

HintOfMint
January 21st, 2012, 07:07 PM
Since you described your hair as "mushy," it sounds as if it was overmoisturized, so protein anything may be just the ticket.

jojo
January 21st, 2012, 07:10 PM
Since you described your hair as "mushy," it sounds as if it was overmoisturized, so protein anything may be just the ticket.

you took the words right out of my mouth there!

joliherb
January 21st, 2012, 08:30 PM
My hair was having the crunchy feeling. Not much curl either. It was very full when brused. I started CO-washing and doing the baby oil and my hair has new life. I know this is on the Coconut milk but thought I'd share.

Hollyfire3
January 21st, 2012, 09:20 PM
My hair was having the crunchy feeling. Not much curl either. It was very full when brused. I started CO-washing and doing the baby oil and my hair has new life. I know this is on the Coconut milk but thought I'd share.

I am scared of greasy hair with Coing because i use mousse in my hair to tame it. I don't mind you sharing, thank for the tips. I am considering baby oil, but i just trimmed 3 inches so my ends look great now. I just want my curls back and think that i might need a bit of protein (it is such a fine balance!) but acording to the wet strand test, my hair break to easily (either that or i am ripping the strand, now just trying to stretch it lol)

Hollyfire3
January 21st, 2012, 09:21 PM
you took the words right out of my mouth there!

I don't really know what "mushy" feels like...i am just guessing, i would try a light protein if i wasn't so scared of protein overload....

sfgirl
January 21st, 2012, 09:53 PM
I love coconut milk because it's so healthy and my stomach can't handle regular milk. Do you have to use the canned kind or can you use the kind you get around the soy milk that comes in a carton?

Hollyfire3
January 21st, 2012, 10:24 PM
I love coconut milk because it's so healthy and my stomach can't handle regular milk. Do you have to use the canned kind or can you use the kind you get around the soy milk that comes in a carton?

It is the canned kind, is there a difference? (i didn't even know there was a carton type lol)

PixxieStix
January 21st, 2012, 11:23 PM
Canned kind works better for the hair I think, although the carton kind can also be found regularly in my fridge, as well as the almond and soy milks too! Not because I can't handle regular milk, but because they are so darn tasty!

Hollyfire3
January 21st, 2012, 11:44 PM
Canned kind works better for the hair I think, although the carton kind can also be found regularly in my fridge, as well as the almond and soy milks too! Not because I can't handle regular milk, but because they are so darn tasty!

Oh ok, so how exactly would i use it for my hair? Also, is it a moisturizing treatment or a protein one? (i have heard people say each one so i am confused)

GermanCurl
February 17th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Instead of using coconut milk out of a can, I buy Palmer's Coconut Protein Pack http://palmers.com/product/detail.php?ID=134&SID=5 at Target for $1.50. Works wonders and is easier to apply and keep in hair. I also bought their Coconut Hair Milk http://palmers.com/product/detail.php?ID=135&SID=5 to apply on damp hair after my regular washes.