PDA

View Full Version : Does my hair look damaged?

TropicalBreeze
January 21st, 2012, 10:07 AM
Or is it just a frizzy mess? I cut it just past my shoulders this past June and this is what the growth looks like.
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/5280/img00741.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/img00741.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Avital88
January 21st, 2012, 10:10 AM
To me it looks like damage, do you use heat or dye?

Buffy
January 21st, 2012, 10:11 AM
What the above poster said.

Mommyof4
January 21st, 2012, 10:23 AM
It looks like damage to me.. maybe heat, or combing/brushing it too harshly.. I would microtrim until it thickened up at the bottom a little..

But, it's only your ends that look damaged, in my opinion..

maria_tasha
January 21st, 2012, 10:24 AM
the ends are fairytale so they might seem damaged but did you find any slip ends or does it break easily? maybe it's just a little dry.

TropicalBreeze
January 21st, 2012, 10:45 AM
I don't use heat at all. I colour twice a year. I did have a perm over a year ago to give it volume because it's so fine. I think I might go out and get an Aphogee 2 step treatment and see if that helps.

tinywife
January 21st, 2012, 10:47 AM
To me it looks dry. You might try switching shampoos or a conditioning treatment.

mzBANGBANG
January 21st, 2012, 10:52 AM
Looking at your hair stats, I don't think it's really damage so much as having wavy/curly hair that is fine and a bit thinner. Everyone's hair gets a little wonky around this time of year. If you got a perm, there's definitely a little damage at the ends but nothing a couple trims won't fix.

spidermom
January 21st, 2012, 10:58 AM
It looks damaged to me. My hair got like that after I had a perm.

cheetahfast
January 21st, 2012, 10:59 AM
I don't use heat at all. I colour twice a year. I did have a perm over a year ago to give it volume because it's so fine. I think I might go out and get an Aphogee 2 step treatment and see if that helps.

You don't look like a 2c/3a, which is making me think that you used the the permed hair curled as your hair type? Right?
If not it looks like you hair is damaged since it no longer curls as much.

A perm might have fried your hair, my mom gave me one once, but I was 8 so I don't remember how my hair felt after.

You say in June you cut it, so 7 or so months ago maybe your ends have fairy tailed or you should have cut it a bit shorter then to cut off damage. You may be in need of another trim, the ends look a bit thin compared to an inch or two up. I'm not sure if protein treatments will help the ends too much, but the rest of you hair will probably benefit if it is damaged, just remember to do a moisture treatment after.

Calaelen
January 21st, 2012, 11:09 AM
You are definitely getting breakage which is showing in the thinning ends. I too recommend a good treatment, and then micro trims to even this up, remove the damage. As a Stylist, I know that the only thing more damaging to hair than a perm is over bleaching.

For a micro trim, it is a good thing to know at what rate your hair grows per month, if you get the standard 1/2 inch then you would trim off 1/4 inch still gaining growth while thickening your ends. If your hair grow 1 inch per month, you can cut up to half an inch at a time, you just cut half of whatever growth you get, thereby thickening your ends while still gaining length.

I also recommend doing this according to Morocco Method's Lunar hair care chart, selecting the days that are most beneficial for the benefit you're wanting. It is damage, but it isn't hopeless, and you do not have to do one big chop to fix it :)

CurlyZ
January 21st, 2012, 12:33 PM
It seems like it's damaged.
This is exactly how my hair looked like when I joined LHC.
There is a picture of it in my album.
Mine looked so bad that I went for a big chop. (I didn't dare to go for a pixie though.)
I still have bleached ends but it got a lot better since I quit bleaching and heat styling.
You'll find great advice here on how to baby your hair!

blondie9912
January 21st, 2012, 12:57 PM
It looks damaged to me, as well. I would recommend cutting off several inches, maybe without the dead ends your curls will form better?

Beckstar
January 21st, 2012, 12:58 PM
The last few inches do look a bit damaged but from your roots down to midway the hair looks very thick and healthy. You might want to start with 1/2" trims for the next few months to get ready of the damage and mainting the length.

jacqueline101
January 21st, 2012, 01:21 PM
My opinion is its damaged do the micro trim and then clarify it. I'd clarify it and start my beauty routine over again. I'd oil it all the length and a little extra on the ends. I'd wear up in a bun or braid I'd make an oil mixture for a misting bottle and put on your hair as needed through out the day. The braid would be better in healing the damages keeps the ends and hair together. Wearing it up keeps us from worrying out of sight out of mind. I did that this summer to my hair I had perm damage. I had a v hem line from my damage. I did a bun in a snood my hair was too short for a braid.

Amber_Maiden
January 21st, 2012, 01:27 PM
It looks dry... maybe it's damaged... Try moisturizing the ends and seeing if it helps

Hollyfire3
January 21st, 2012, 01:48 PM
If moisturizing fails, i would say it is damaged, honestly, i would just trim it in one full swoop to minimize the amount of damage that will spread to the healthy hair. Did you trim since last June? If you plan on growing you hair out, i would say to trim in between because based on what happens if you just let it grow, loosing a bit of length to triming will be worth it. You will have long hair in no time! Just be sure to baby it and keep checking this forum, there are great tips!

jojo
January 21st, 2012, 01:56 PM
My opinion is yes there is some damage but I am wondering if your layers are making it look worse? It also looks to be crying out for moisture, id recommend doing just conditioner washes for a week or 2 using a conditioner, tresemme natural moisture one would be ideal.

Use no heat, just air dry, you should see a great improvement in its condition by doing this. After a 2 week period, evaluate and see how it looks. It may need a micro trim but nothing major.

Ive been using baby oil for nearly the last week on my parched ends, they are like brand new now, maybe this could work for you too? you only need a teeny weeny drop and use it like a serum or maybe try a coney serum to help you cope with your hair better.

Also make sure your diet isnt lacking in any nutrients, this wont help the hair already grown but will make future growth healthier, also make sure you are drinking enough to keep you hydrated. I also find cod liver oil has helped with my hair a lot!

lapushka
January 21st, 2012, 02:06 PM
I'd try moisturizing the heck out of it first, to see whether or not it still looks like it does now. It does look a little dry. Damaged? I don't know. Do you have split ends, white dots? If not, it's not damaged. If it still looks like it does after lots of moisture, I'd maybe trim half an inch to an inch and see what that does.

lapushka
January 21st, 2012, 02:07 PM
I'd try moisturizing the heck out of it first, to see whether or not it still looks like it does now. It does look a little dry. Damaged? I don't know. Do you have split ends, white dots? If not, it's not damaged. If it still looks like it does after lots of moisture, I'd maybe trim half an inch to an inch and see what that does.

TropicalBreeze
January 21st, 2012, 03:58 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I don't have any split ends or white dots but I do believe I have breakage. So based on the suggestions above for moisturizing should I be avoiding protein? Thanks again.

jojo
January 21st, 2012, 04:05 PM
You could try a protein treatment and follow by a moistursing treatment, try clarifying before.

Keep us updated in how you get on, it will turn out fine!

PixxieStix
January 21st, 2012, 05:44 PM
I don't think your hair needs to avoid protein, a protein treatment after clarifying should help control the damage a bit, and then moisture, moisture, moisture treatments! As well as finding some protective hairstyles and maybe an oil your hair does well with. :) Good luck, you'll be amazed at what a little TLC will do for those locks. (microtrim on the ends might be a good idea too)

akilina
January 21st, 2012, 09:33 PM
It looks like some damage has happened. The old perm isn't helping either, and you have to consider the fact that the very ends of your hair are probably at least a few years old. They have been thru it all. Are you having any breakage? If its breaking off the I would really recommend a good trim to get a lot of that out of the way...if not it would be pretty good to get a few trims over time to eventually get all that off and thicken your ends.

Maktub
January 21st, 2012, 09:39 PM
I see damage and I would trimm to shoulders for a fresh start and stop any damaging habits (but that's really just me, I had similar problems years back and it was the best decision I made to cut all the thin ends off). :) But whatever you do, happy growing !

You'll love looking at this picture in a short time ! Because you'll compare it to your new and amazing future growth :)