PDA

View Full Version : Headaches from wearing hair up?

Bagginslover
January 21st, 2012, 07:12 AM
Up until now, if my hair has been up, it's been in a tight ponytail. I've never noticed its given me any bother this way. Overnight and today, I've had my hair in a much softer, looser bun, and I have an almighty headache! I'm certain it's my Updo, as it changes intensity if I lift the bun or take it down. I have had the bun higher than I'd usually wear it, but if anything I thought that'd make it less painful-less pulling!

Has anyone else had this problem when starting out? Would it be ok to wear it tighter?

white.chocolate
January 21st, 2012, 07:21 AM
I get headaches when I'm using an elastic band (for a ponytail or other hairstyles that require a ponytail first) that is too tight. So, I avoid doing this, obviously, and I either wear a low ponytail or do not tighten the elastic band too tight. Well, the only updo I wear that requires a ponytail first is a braided vortex bun, and that doesn't require a very tight ponytail. I don't think it's wise to tighten your ponytail anymore if it gives you headaches. Try to change your elastic band or use a scrunchie, or try alternative hairstyles.

Bagginslover
January 21st, 2012, 07:31 AM
It's odd, I get no headaches from the tight ponytails. It's the loose style that's hurting.

I have made it a bit tighter, and lower to see if it helps. I have just taken paracetamol too though, so the pain will probably go anyway now!

I'd still be I retested to hear if others have found this when first stopping tight styles.

jacqueline101
January 21st, 2012, 07:40 AM
I've never gotten a headache from wearing elastic pony tails it must be how tight you have them in.

jojo
January 21st, 2012, 07:50 AM
I do sometimes get headaches if the bun is too tight or the stick has caught round a group of hair. I like braided buns, which i wear in my nape and I spread them out, it stops the headaches for me.

Madora
January 21st, 2012, 08:36 AM
Tighter ponytails are not a good idea because the delicate hairs are put under too much pressure. This leads to weakened hairs and eventually to breakage. Not to mention the tangles that ensue in the ponytail itself during the day. This means you have to detangle, which can lead to more hair loss.

It is probably the placement of the ponytail that is causing the problem.

If your ponytailed higher up your head than usual, your follicles are not used to being drawn up that way, and will protest at the change.

For the sake of your hair, try not to ponytail so tightly. Avoiding it all together would be even better.

Also, wearing your hair comfortably can be achieved by sectioning it properly for various styles.