PDA

View Full Version : Will sleeping with a hat on make hair grow faster?

blondie9912
January 20th, 2012, 11:35 PM
I've been reading about the greenhouse effect for hair (applying oils to the scalp, massaging before bed, and sleeping with a shower cap/hat on to trap heat) to increase growth, and it seems promising. However, it's simply too labour intensive for me, no way will I be able to wash my hair in the morning.

I wash my hair about every 4 days, so it's got some natural oils, and I also oil my hair/scalp regularly. If I wrap my hair in a silk scarf and then wear a beanie hat overtop every night while sleeping, will this mimic the benefits of the GHE? I'm still trapping heat, and I've got some oil on my scalp...:ponder:

Has anyone every tried this?

Btw, the hat and scarf tied around my head are very breathable and comfortable, not suffocating/restricting at all.

inkd
January 21st, 2012, 12:23 AM
Hmmm. I've heard of heat sealing in moisture, but not making hair grow faster. But, I guess the only way to know for sure is to give it a try!

white.chocolate
January 21st, 2012, 01:50 AM
From what I know, no scientific studies have proved this correlation between heat and hair growth.

woolyleprechaun
January 21st, 2012, 02:23 AM
I have heard that heat and growth MAY be connected, but theres nothing solid to go on. Most of the idea stems from the fact that many people find their hair grows faster in the summer, and women in hotter countries tend to have a faster growth rate. There could be THOUSANDS of different factors in these findings, and nothing official has been found. The scalp massage is bound to help though ;)

christine1989
January 21st, 2012, 02:37 AM
If anything I immagine extra heat would increase circulation to the scalp which would in turn increase growth. Not sure if there's any truth to it but it would be an interesting expirement to try.

tarn
January 21st, 2012, 03:07 AM
Interesting concept, but considering it is the middle of a hot summer here and my growth has stalled for about a month now, I'm not sure it would help me.

Cleopatra18
January 21st, 2012, 04:13 AM
for the green house effect you must wear a plastic cap/bag on your hair then a scarf or a hat or nothing at all (the plastic cap is the one that traps heat produced from your body and creates the warm environment, the others are just extra)
I have been doing this for a while twice aweek after I heavy oil my hair and scalp. I didn't keep track of the growth but I feel like I get better results with oil treatments or deep conditioners this way. It is also pretty amazing if you use a solid oil like coconut which usually freezes on my hair during the winter and makes it crunchy without absorbing at all. but with the green house effect, the heat helps keep it liquid and therefore works better.
Some people do this without any products at all and it works just fine. supposedly, it increases moisture levels similar to a steam treatment, but I never tried it on dry hair so I can't really tell how true is that.

jojo
January 21st, 2012, 06:02 AM
I do think your theory maybe possible, it might just be coincidence but I get my fastest growth in winter and here in the North West of England we have some bitter weather. I am never seen outside without my hat on, its way too cold to go without but I do get faster growth.

QMacrocarpa
January 21st, 2012, 07:19 AM
I sleep in a fleece nightcap in winter just to keep warmer (our thermostat is autoset down to 50 F at night). I doubt it affects my growth rate, but I don't pay attention that closely.

jacqueline101
January 21st, 2012, 07:50 AM
I know in the humid summer months my hair seemed to grow faster. I did oil my hair a lot too but I think it could be due to the heat.

blondie9912
January 21st, 2012, 09:44 AM
I have heard that heat and growth MAY be connected, but theres nothing solid to go on. Most of the idea stems from the fact that many people find their hair grows faster in the summer, and women in hotter countries tend to have a faster growth rate. There could be THOUSANDS of different factors in these findings, and nothing official has been found. The scalp massage is bound to help though ;)

That's true, there are TONS of other factors. Those who live in a warm climate tend to spend more time outdoors, which means more exercise and therefore increased blood circulation... Also, they might have a better diet because fruits and veggies are always in season.

I'm debating whether I should try this, or whether it's just a waste of time.

joliherb
January 21st, 2012, 09:57 AM
I don't think that I could stand sleeping in a hat.

spidermom
January 21st, 2012, 12:27 PM
I don't know about that, but I wouldn't do it anyway. My scalp is oily enough, so I never put oil on my scalp, and I toss and turn so much that I'd never be able to keep a hat/bonnet on my head.

I believe that the increase in growth rate during the summer is due to longer hours of day light rather than increase in heat.

blondie9912
January 21st, 2012, 12:59 PM
I don't know about that, but I wouldn't do it anyway. My scalp is oily enough, so I never put oil on my scalp, and I toss and turn so much that I'd never be able to keep a hat/bonnet on my head.

I believe that the increase in growth rate during the summer is due to longer hours of day light rather than increase in heat.

Interesting theory, how might daylight aid hair growth though?

Amber_Maiden
January 21st, 2012, 01:29 PM
I really don't think it would make your hair grow faster.

Avital88
January 22nd, 2012, 05:21 AM
Well there might be no scientific prove but i think heat really makes hair grow faster,in summer my rate is twice as fast and all my friends experience the same so you might give it a try..

Avital88
January 22nd, 2012, 05:23 AM
Interesting theory, how might daylight aid hair growth though?

There is more daylight in Europe than in the Middle East during summer, though my hair grows way quicker in the hottest country with less daylight, rather than the other way around..

Avital88
January 22nd, 2012, 05:24 AM
oh i had meant to quote spidermom:)

blondie9912
January 25th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Avital, I'd always wondered why hair grows faster in the summer! I'm thinking heat + a generally more healthy lifestyle. I don't think I will bother trying this experiment, sleeping with a hat on will probably be a pain :p

owlathena
January 25th, 2012, 09:38 PM
I've been thinking about this recently! I get cold at night, and I don't move around much, so I think I'll try it. Couldn't hurt...

LittleOrca
January 25th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I sleep with a satin cap on and sometimes that can make my head warm! (especially the thick ones from Sally's.) I also oil my hair before I goto bed. I cannot say these two events combined to make my hair grow faster, but I can say (from experience) sleeping with a cap lessens tangles, lessens hair shed or pulled from tangles, and thus makes my hair look like it has grown more.

For me, hair growing more is measuring my virgin length. I'm tragically hanging at TBL as I have been for years while I grow out my damage. :)

akilina
January 25th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Hmm...with heat it would definitely make your hair "absorb" the oils better surely promoting better health which ultimately will be beneficial. Labor intensive but possibly worth a try. Couldnt hurt.
Thats the best I can come up with.

shikara
January 25th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Im thinking that if it does do anything, it would be to contribute to your own maximu potential of growth rate. I must say tho, that out of necessity I had to do this last nite, and when I took my hair out, the body of it surely caught my attention, so Im doing it again tonite to see what hapoens - I am single tho:p

Sister13
January 26th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Just sewed a seafoam green silk nightie into a loose-fitting bonnet. I do believe the extra warmth and decreased friction helps hair growth. Warmth = better circulation. Better circulation = better nutrient delivery to hair follicle cells. it's just like teeth. Poor circulation and your teeth rot from the inside, die and fall out.

As I sit here after yoga class eating fenugreek seeds soaked in yogurt to help nature along...

Fimu
September 30th, 2014, 05:07 AM
A while ago I slept a couple times a week (average 3 times) with a plastic shower cap, but without adding oils on my scalp. And it mostly didin't hurt for me too.

But before I resume with this method, I'm wondering: if it's really that helpful to stimulate the growth rate?

(I'm not sure if my massive bump is reasonable, but I couldn't find recent threads about this topic :oops:)

lapushka
September 30th, 2014, 06:13 AM
I wouldn't sleep with plastic on the head too often. The scalp needs to breathe, just as the other skin on your body does.

Gertrude
September 30th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Unscientific date point is that my hair grows ( a bit) faster in summer. Always. And summers in Britain can be as easily soup and blankets cold, or permanent rain umbrella season or nice and toasty or hot and sticky and well, whatever, my hair grows faster in summer. Even if, as is often the case, the autumn is warmer than the summer was. It's the season, not the heat.

gustavonut
October 1st, 2014, 11:50 AM
I know in the humid summer months my hair seemed to grow faster. I did oil my hair a lot too but I think it could be due to the heat.

Hey you are from Missouri too! I'm from Saint James (: